Any tips for the shitty MGS1 Snake VR Missions?

Only got 8 trophies left for the platinum and I'm at my wits end with Sneaking 9 and I've heard the other missions are complete hell. I've been following guides for Sneaking 9 but I seemingly get spotted by an enemy I can't see off screen so I have no point of reference for where I'm going wrong, therefore I can't adjust my strategy. Followed about 5 different guides and have been struggling for a few hours now.

Ready to just give up on this game. Seems like the platinum isn't worth going for after all this VR Mission bullshit

• 2 months later...
On 14/6/2020 at 10:58 AM, davestovies said:

Only got 8 trophies left for the platinum and I'm at my wits end with Sneaking 9 and I've heard the other missions are complete hell. I've been following guides for Sneaking 9 but I seemingly get spotted by an enemy I can't see off screen so I have no point of reference for where I'm going wrong, therefore I can't adjust my strategy. Followed about 5 different guides and have been struggling for a few hours now.

Ready to just give up on this game. Seems like the platinum isn't worth going for after all this VR Mission bullshit

I've been working on Snake's missions since yesterday's morning, fortunately I'm only missing the last two Bomb Disposal missions for the trophy.

Besides the Variety ones which weren't that bad this time for me, I retried some sneaking and eliminate missions several times due to getting spotted until I managed to learn every enemy position.

Let me know if the mission you are talking about is from the VR Missions or from the Alternative ones. You can knock on walls to attrack enemies and sneak past them or lure them if you need to hold them up or eliminate them, obviously you need to knock on places where you won't hide unless you got a gun. If you have a gun position yourself next a corner and knock on the wall quickly position yourself a step back from the corner so that the enemy won't spot your and when he is near the corner quickly press the square button lightly and when he is held up neutralize him as you please, this takes a little practice.

Enemies see you from far away (just see you, not spot you) this is useful as well, let them see you somewhere away from a corner and when you see or hear they are coming to investigate hide near a corner, as soon as the enemy passes you either sneak on him and neutralize him or past him depending on the mission.

To succeed on this missions you must observe enemy movements and their pattern and act at the right moment (sometimes there is room for error but you must be quick to avoid detection if that happens), each time you fail and replay a mission you'll know what was your mistake. It depends on you if you are willing to practice and replay each mission until you have completed all of them. 

PD: my least favorite missions are Hanging Mode from the Variety Missions, even Raiden's mission took me several tries, but the one for Snake was the worst, it took me 2 or 3 hours if I recall correctly.

Edited by Deceptrox

You can distract them by throwing empty clips close to them so that they will walk away from where they are, you can knock on the walls for a similar effect, and (IIRC) you can even knock them out, as long as you don't trigger the alert with the first strike.

Other than that, it is just a matter of learning their routes and getting the timing right.

45 minutes ago, Deceptrox said:

PD: my least favorite missions are Hanging Mode from the Variety Missions, even Raiden's mission took me several tries, but the one for Snake was the worst, it took me 2 or 3 hours if I recall correctly

Man! I hated those hahaha What was the whole point??

I just checked and there is only one set of Sneaking missions and those are VR only. 

For mission #9 you need to move a little forward and knock on the wall to lure the guard who is on your left, then return to where you started and to the left, let the guard who is reporting on the radio see you so that he'll come to investigate, as soon as he turns go straight to where the cardboard box is, pick it along with the books and equip it and wait for both guards to get back to where they were.

Once the enemy who was guarding the box turns his back on you, break his neck. Now wait for the guard who is reporting to go to the left, repeat what you did, let him see you on the same spot and when he turns his sight, hide where the box was. When he walks past you, sneak on him and break his neck as well. Hide the bodies where the box was to prevent being detected in case reinforcement come to investigate.

After that, quickly go to the right and behind the wall between you and the guard on northeast, place a book knock the wall to lure the guard and hide near the column, avoid getting spotted by the guy on the far left.

When the guard is busy with the book, jump over between the columns and go straigh forward. Wait for the camera to turn and get under it. Once it turns back to the other side quickly reach the goal.

Edited by Deceptrox