Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alternatewarning

S-Rank Pillar of Oblivion

7 posts in this topic

I'm at the end of the game, everyone is level 99.  I cannot, for the life of me, S-rank the Pillar of Oblivion.  At most I'm getting 1700 points.  Between the spinning enemies locking me into a room and the boss, there is no way I can complete this mission in 8:50.  I also can't avoid taking damage because of the above.  So...how on earth do I S-rank this dungeon?  Just give up and do a THIRD playthrough?

I think I remember having a hard time with this one too. Are you also making sure to get the treasure chests and other bonuses too? I think you can get away with the time and damage requirement (provided you don't get damaged too much anyway) if you get the other bonuses like killing all the Greeds, elemental kills, break objects, and max combo. And how does your party build look like? Does it look anything like they have at the beginning of this video?

But yeah, I know that the biggest factor that kept me from S Ranking some dungeons was damage but I know you can get away with some damage provided you don't get hit too much. I usually built up the special meters and just spammed the special attacks if I was outnumbered or on boss enemies.

@Redgrave I'm getting every treasure chest, Over 80% elemental deaths, 100% broken boxes, over 200 combo, the only bonuses I'm not getting are damage and time...

9 minutes ago, Alternatewarning said:

@Redgrave I'm getting every treasure chest, Over 80% elemental deaths, 100% broken boxes, over 200 combo, the only bonuses I'm not getting are damage and time...

Damage is where you need to improve then. For the spinning enemies try jumping over them when they come at you and use characters with good ranged attacks like Asuka.

Another tip is try using Ice Sword to freeze the enemies to slow them down.

@Alternatewarning Redgrave is playing the Vita version where that video is of the PS4 version and some of the stuff that player did is not possible on the Vita just so you know.

12 minutes ago, Alternatewarning said:

Like I said I wouldn't worry too much about damage since you can get away with some hits here and there but obviously don't get hit too much. If you have high defense equipment then that can help out some. But in regards to time, it sounds like the issue is beating the enemies and bosses quick enough which is where building up your special meter can help out when it comes to the tougher enemies. Though yeah, like @Mansuetum_corde said, Asuka can come in handy because her ranged is good and her special attack can freeze enemies for a time. I would also opt to use the guy that can use the rifle (I forget his name) since more often than not he can just hang back and fire away while keeping the enemies from approaching. I remember him being useful in regards to not taking damage because of this, and his special attack is very wide and does a ton of damage.

Otherwise the only other thing I can think of that might help is I know there's an ability you can get that helps increase the invincibility frames while dodging. I used that on the main character and it helped out quite a bit. But I think it's most important to have high defense and be able to save up your special meter so you can wipe enemies out quicker especially if they show up in a group all at once, and if you get hit then you won't get punished as much from the damage bonus.

I just gave up and lowered it to easy without saving it.  Cheap but there's a limit to my skill.  My biggest issue was the face that when a bunch of the spinning enemies come at once and you try to jump over them, one of them always knocked me down.  And then I would be in the middle of 3-5 of them and stunlocked as they kept hitting me.  I was using Asuka and she had the best equipment in the game.  Oh well, it's done with for me, hopefully this thread helps someone else

whew... I thought I will struggle on this one... will post here my build in case I struggle on my PS4 run:

Kou - my navigator, item picker and combo maintainer... equipped him with Ginnungagap to deal with Shadow monsters.

Spoiler

Ginnungagap Master Core

Position of Strength

Byakko Fang

Seiryu Scale

Sledgehammer

Onimaru

Shiranui Clothing

Tabi of a Hundred Nights

Mythology Locket

Azure Netsuke

Gurou - my combo builder. I use him on bulky monsters to build meter up to 200+ fast. His attack also helped me replenish the Gauges. Used Fire Master Core to deal with those jelly monsters fast.

Spoiler

Hauteclaire Master Core

Onimaru

Adamantine III  or Position of Strength

Shishiou

Ikaruga

Amaterasu Armor

Dragonflower Shoes

Mythology Locket

Blue Bookmark

Sora - Deals with Not-Fire and Not-Shadow Monsters. The boss killer.

Spoiler

Arcadia Master Core

Sledgehammer 

Byakko Fang

Position of Strength

Onimaru

Shiranui's Clothing

Tabi of a Hundred Nights

Mythology Locket

Armageddon Crest

As said, I used Kou to Navigate and pickup loots... Gurou to build combo meter fast and replenish gauges... Sora to clean up and deal with the boss. With the group of circle thingy monsters, I use a X-strike to soften them and have Sora kill most of them, the shadow one is always the last one that survive so I use it to replenish my gauge and increase my combo more with Gurou. For the boss, I just had Sora spam Double Jump > Power Attack > Use X-strike when it summoned 2 wheely thingy then back to Double Jump > Power Attack.