How do you feel about xbox/steam achievements?

JEDI_BROTHERS

Xbox Live achievements are fine, though I don't collect them... or PSN trophies anymore for that matter.

Steam achievements are trash though.  There are applications out there that unlock them with a click and Valve hasn't done anything about it, and probably can't at this point, so from a community perspective they're pretty much valueless.  Not to mention the piles and piles of achievement spam games (that unlock THOUSANDS of achievements just for opening the game).  And many Steam games don't have achievements since they aren't a requirement like they are on Xbox and Playstation...

... but for those legit games that do have them, I guess they technically get the job done if you just collect achievements for your own personal enjoyment.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 4

I have an old Xbox account that i achievement hunted on. Only about a 50k score though. I much prefer the trophy system simply because it rewards you with a platinum if you get them all. But Achievement is a much better name than trophy, since you actually have to achieve to earn them.

On steam i cared enough to get every single L4D2 and CS GO achievement, but other than that no. Steam achievements are useless since people can simply just trainer/console commands/cheat tables to get really ahrd achivements.

Edited by Quink666

Never played on steam.but on Xbox360 I like how quick the achievement pops compared to PS3.

Eg PS3 kill 10 enemies 5 seconds later trophy.

Xbox kill 10 enemies immediately achievement .

Edited by PrimitiveRetro
Yes
  • Like 1

Playing CS:S back in 'day was my first dalliance with any kind of achievement system... got pretty far until I realized there was one I could never get so I gave up. Never really bothered with them since... still got a handful of them left unfinished, I reckon. I haven't even used Steam since I had to engage in some workarounds for Portal 2 years back. And the less said about the Cancerous Box of Obsolescence, the better...

I was mostly into Xbox Achievements until I found this site which is much better than the achievement sites in my opinion. Still will go after them when I do play something on Xbox. 

Steam achievements are pretty much worthless for the reasons already stated. If I do play a game on Steam I will keep them in mind but I don't pay them as much attention as I do trophies or Xbox achievements. Another negative for Steam achievements is that there is no sound when you unlock one. Hearing the sound when you unlock a trophy or Xbox achievement is a big part of it to me. 

Edited by Killbomb

I got a 360 back in the famous 2011 PSN hack. It didn't last long and i regretted the purchase, I can't even remember what i did with it. I had got a few platinums and was into trophy hunting, not like i am now though. But i didn't have the same enjoyment like i do with PS. I do however like the achievement tracking that xbox has and also the loudness of an achievement popping, the PS4 trophy volume is too damn low. 

But you can't replicate that feeling of getting a platinum

Sadly Xbox Achievements doesn't reward you with anything once you done 100% (besides 100%) and you can rise your score by just playing more and more games, unlike PSN where you can see how many platinums player have means he actually hunting trophies or playing a lot. After all, for me personally, it's just additional fun-factor for game to spend more time on something I like. I do play Xbox and Steam sometimes, but I have like 5% completion on both accounts in terms of Achievements.

• Like 1

I do like achievements, but the main reason is because they were first and there are many games that you can get achievements on that you can't on PS3, Like Kung Fu Panda, Spider-Man 3, TMNT (really random games ik but they are nostalgic) Plus I like Kinect and it's game. However all in all trophies rule!  oh, and steam achievements suck. I have never even looked at mine, but I do love the time played page and how it kinda shows that off instead

WetRaindrops.png

Edited by WetRaindrops
  • Like 1