Are you happy with Sony exclusive games.... not being exclusive?

Octavius888Au

Hi all gamers, I'm new here.

It is clear to me that Sony decided to gradually abandon the idea to make "Playstation only" games. Like Microsoft.

Horizon Zero Dawn will be soon released on PC. This makes me think that also its sequel, just announced for the Ps5, will be on Pc after a while. Besides that, there are always growing rumours about a porting of Bloodborne for the PC.

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad that also PC gamers will be able to play these masterpieces. Yet I do think this policy is not customer-friendly to say the least. Many of us buy consoles mostly for their exclusives. Why should we keep buying PlayStation hardware and software if, after a while, those "exclusives" are sold on another system with enhanced graphics and maybe even with a lower price?!

Now, when I read "only on PlayStation " on my discs it sounds like a lie and a trick to me.

I do respect all kinds of opinion, I'm just curious what do you think about. Are you either happy or unhappy of this new PlayStation policy? Will you keep buying exclusive games on Ps5 or you'll wait for their Pc versions?

Edited by DaivRules

While I agree exclusives are important and should always be a thing, I disagree strongly that older exclusives being ported to PC is in anyway non customer friendly. It really shouldn't matter to anyone whether or not more people play get to play a game. Horizon and Bloodborne were some of the best games this generation and the more people that get to play them the better imo.

• Like 2

I just think about it as clever marketing from Sony. I mean, while the PS4 did lose a few exclusives, unless I'm mistaken, aside from Horizon Zero Dawn, every other game that stopped being exclusive was not developed by a studio owned by Sony. For example, Detroit: Become Human was developed by Quantic Dreams, Death Stranding was developed by Kojima Productions, and the Yakuza series by SEGA. I wouldn't be surprised if Persona 5 would be the next to lose the exclusivity status. Now.... Why do I think Horizon Zero Dawn is just a clever marketing strategy? Simple! Horizon is without a doubt one of the best games of this generation, and with the sequel being one of the first major titles on PS5, having more people (the PC audience) playing Horizon Zero Dawn is a way to get those who enjoyed the game to purchase the sequel (and the PS5 in the process).

• Like 4

Personally i think every console should have their exclusives. Why other console players can get Sony games without switching console while we have to buy Nintendo or XBox? Not fair. Perhaps it's wrong but i think Sony would sell more own consoles by making good exclusives and not by making them all available for other consoles.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Is is even a policy? Seems like it’s only happening to a couple games with particular reasons as to why. 

Yes I agree with you, for the moment  it's soon for calling  that a "policy" since we have just 2 or 3 examples. Just in case they decide to publish other Ps games on Pc for the future, I think they should take off the advertising "only on PlayStation " and let us customers to be informed where to buy their games and save money.

As long as they are honest about it from the start I do not mind it, just stop selling games as exclusives only to then later resell a superior version on pc, that one gets on my nerves because it is false advertising. Generally speaking there is no rational reason to buy a new console that does not have exclusives, so not sure if that is the right thing to do for Sony in the long run, if people expect every big Sony game to appear on Pc at some point, many will prefer to wait for that release instead of buying a more limited version on day 1.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

A couple of points here.

If you wait long enough, all games eventually go on sale for cheap, so this isn't a good argument. Also, no one lied to you, the game is and was exclusive to PS4 for many years.

If 80% or whatever number (Sony has all this info) of your customer base already own X game (lets be real at this point the vast majority of players that will play Horizon on PS4 already have bought and played it at this point, esp when it's on sale for $10 all the time), what is there to lose by selling it on another platform? There is only money to be gained. So from Sony's perspective this is a really good decision, opening up the game to even further revenue.

Sony relies heavily on the PlayStation brand to keep afloat. They need all the additional revenue streams they can get at this point.

I think exclusive titles are very important for a console's success personally, but once a game has reached peak saturation I don't think there is anything wrong with Sony recouping some more cash from sales on PC, which is not a direct competitor to the PS4. I would even wager that the sales they generate from selling it on PC won't even come close to the revenue they generated on PS4. But it's about squeezing as much money out of a finished product as they can. If all Sony games were to start releasing on MS and Nintendo consoles I think we could agree there is a problem, but I really don't see how the PC market has much of an effect on console sales/development.

To your point about why you should buy Sony products, only you can answer that question. Sony isn't forcing you to buy anything and they don't owe you anything as far as what they decide to do with their own intellectual property. Timed exclusivity is becoming the norm more and more and I would not be surprised to see this trend continue. You pay Sony for a console that gives you the privilege of playing an assortment of exclusive games first. And PC gaming comes with it's own set of issues and they get ports of games down the road that most people have already experienced. It's not really something I see as a problem.

• Like 2

So, because HZD is coming to PC, many many years later, that means Sony is going "console exclusive" + PC in general??? There's so many exclusive games on PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4. I doubt Demon's Souls will be ported to PC, I don't think Bloodborne will either.

• Like 1

While Sony is in a position to make more money, it is a very bad trade-off.

Playstation exclusives are why Sony has had three of the best selling consoles ever. Losing that advantage is terrible and we have seen how it affected the Xbox. It had no games and anything it did get, you could just play on PC, eliminating the need to buy an Xbox in the first place.

Overall, it's a very bad business deal, unless it is handled differently than what we've seen so far.

Edit: To be clear I do not think Sony is headed in this direction with new games. Just really old ones like HZD.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 1

Just now, sepheroithisgod said:

While Sony is in a position to make more money, it is a very bad trade-off.

Playstation exclusives are why Sony has had three of the best selling consoles ever. Losing that advantage is terrible and we have seen how it affected the Xbox. It had no games and anything it did get, you could just play on PC, eliminating the need to buy an Xbox in the first place.

Overall, it's a very bad business deal, unless it is handled differently than what we've seen so far.

There is a huge difference here.

On one hand Sony trotting out a PC port of a 3-4 year old game.

vs

MS letting PC players play exclusive xbox games the exact same day they launch on xbox without having to own said hardware.

MS just doesn't care what platform you play their games on, and that's the main reason I don't have an xbox. Sony is still keeping the IP close to the chest till the revenue dries up.

• Like 3

Unless they're doing this for their games going forward- absolutely no word on this at all, only Horizon: Zero Dawn and Death Stranding so far- then it's hardly a policy, is it? I couldn't care less, I don't have the means to have a powerful expensive PC anyway so I'll stick with my PlayStations regardless

5 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

As long as they are honest about it from the start I do not mind it, just stop selling games as exclusives only to then later resell a superior version on pc, that one gets on my nerves because it is false advertising. Generally speaking there is no rational reason to buy a new console that does not have exclusives, so not sure if that is the right thing to do for Sony in the long run, if people expect every big Sony game to appear on Pc at some point, many will prefer to wait for that release instead of buying a more limited version on day 1.

Yes exactly, legally speaking it's false advertising. They should call those games "time exclusives". In this way we pay the full priced but graphically inferior version on day one in order to give Sony more money to make later the graphically enhanced and discounted porting

11 minutes ago, DeathNyx said:

Personally i think every console should have their exclusives. Why other console players can get Sony games without switching console while we have to buy Nintendo or XBox? Not fair. Perhaps it's wrong but i think Sony would sell more own consoles by making good exclusives and not by making them all available for other consoles.

I have your very same opinion.

Just to be clear I wouldn't mind to see Sony exclusives go to Xbox or Nintendo, and their exclusives come to Sony. However, I do have really big issue with any console exclusive games go to PC. As a long time PC gamer who ditched PC and join console in 2013. My problem with PC gaming is piracy. I know quit few friends who bought console mainly for exclusive games. If those exclusives are available on PC. They will just pirate it. Later on you will start hearing those people question you why spend money on game when you can just pirate it.

• Like 1

I'm fine with exclusives not being exclusives after a year or 2. Got to have an incentive to get different consoles, the only reason why I'd get an Xbox is literally for halo, and the only reason for me to get a Switch is for Pokemon and smash.

I wouldn't say you can tell a policy over isolated incidents. Microsoft has always suffered with having so little and now going forward, no exclusives, and that won't be something Sony will be wanting to mimic. Of course Microsoft is instead going down the gamepass path and if that proves successful enough then it could lead Sony to swapping their business to their sort of model. We'll have to see. 

If it did happen it would be a shame as a good number of games only get made due to exclusives. Be it first party studios that the console platform holder will have little reason to keep around/expand, or as we have seen when the platform holder straight up fund multiplatform games in exchange for some limited exclusivity.