Are you happy with Sony exclusive games.... not being exclusive?

Octavius888Au

38 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

No exclusives should exist on any console. Buy the console you prefer and play any game you want on it. How I see it and have seen it. 1f601.png

I see people say things like this and wonder how they view Nintendo and their IPs. I think we all inherently know that Mario and co. will never show up on a different platform, yet people feel entitled to have Sony's top tier games be available on PC now that a small handful of their games are getting a port.

• Like 1

As Sony is waiting for the life cycle of that specific game to end on the console before releasing it on PC I see no problem what so ever with this. It is a good business strategy for them. They are able to make more money off of a great game that we have already been able to enjoy for years now. Also more people will get to play the game and enjoy it. I don't understand why this is not consumer friendly. 

Exclusive games will likely always be a thing. Theyre the console sellers for the main part. 

I dont care if Sony exclusives go on PC and hell I'd love it if if Pokemon and Mario Kart came to Playstation. 

What matters to me is gaming in one moment. What i mean by that is, im only bothered about the game im playing/buying right now. I feel im getting a good deal at point of purchase bloody great. If im getting annoyed about cheaper higher res same game 1 year later im a fool. Whats the point in getting annoyed over it. Its like crying over spilt milk. I cant change the fact i have already bought the inferior version. 

Maybe, probably questionable business ethics in some of these cases. I dont condone it, but i suppose its big business at the end of the day. Theyll do anything for money. 

What Sony is doing (and will do) is finding the "hotspot" when it's profitable to launch your game on PC while not hurting the PlayStation brand.

That means they'll launch their games on PlayStation first and when it reach its peak of sales and can't make much more money out of it, they explore other markets. That means more money in Sony's pocket and maybe produce more AAA titles and exclusives. 

I can't see Sony releasing its titles on PS5 and PC the same day, like Xbox is doing, and neither launching absolutely all their games on PC, and personally, if I like Sony Interactive games I won't be choosing PC to wait 4-5 years for a game to release (if it ever does) 

Edited by BEAST_IHMOTEP
  • Like 1

If PC players wanna help fund the next great playstation exclusive then by all means :)

I dont see a problem with a first party game completely exhausting its install base and then moving to another platform years later, especially such an agnostic platform like PC. At the end of the day its still money being pumped directly into new first party "exclusive" experiences. 

If they put Miles Morales on Xbox, I won't need to buy a PS5 period. 

But no, I think re-releasing older titles, because that's what Horizon is at this point, on PC and getting interest going again, especially when a sequel is on the way, isn't such a bad idea, you've made everything you're gonna make off the original version, the game's been 6 bucks new several times near me, it's done, but a re-release is a nice easy way to squeeze out some more dosh from an otherwise retired legacy title. But it's a toughie really, because one or two games is a bit odd but whatever, though if Sony were to implement a setup where every PS5 exclusive came to PC a year later, that would be a bigger issue. 

Microsoft can do it because they want to lure you in. You plan an Xbox game on PC? You sign in using Xbox Live. You play Minecraft on your phone? Xbox Live achievements. They are recruiting wherever they can and that's not the worst idea either, but they want to build their base up going into next gen, Sony don't have that right now, so Sony has a lot less to gain than Microsoft does with regards to throwing their exclusives around town. I don't see it becoming the norm for them, at least not any time soon. Sony pulling a Sega is the last thing they'd wanna do when PlayStation is their big money getter, they'd wanna keep shit the same as it is now for as long as they can ideally, I think they're just testing the waters like I said at the start, with a legacy title that won't fuck them with a loss, but that they can look at sales wise and base their next move off.

• Like 1

I feel like the answer to your question strongly depends on context. From a consumers perspective, a game being on multiple systems means you have more options available to you, which should generally be a good thing. At the same time, there is realistically little reason for a company like Sony to assist in funding a game if they cannot expect it to help move their system.

As an example, Bloodborne would greatly benefit from a PC port, if only to iron out its technical issues. However, if Bloodborne wasn’t an exclusive, it’s likely that it wouldn’t exist at all. 

In cases like Horizon, where the game is only ported years after its initial release, I really don’t see the harm. The game now being on PC doesn’t really take anything away from how much you enjoyed it on PS4.

• Like 1

I think Sony is going even more aggressive with exclusive games. If you look at the non first party games which Sony showed at the PS5 reveal event, basically all of them are going to be timed PS5 exclusive. So clearly Sony is paying the Devs handsome money to get these games on PS5 first and get better console sales. And I don’t have issue with like 3-5 year old games going to PC. They have lived their life cycle on PlayStation so Sony basically can make more money. And also, a lot of people just want to play games as they come out and not wait like 3-4 years for it to come to say PC, especially the casual gamers who do make up easily the majority of PlayStation user base. 

• Like 1

Couldn't care less. When I buy a system, I'm not thinking in "the exclusive titles" and such. The only reason I keep gaming on the PS ecosystem is due to familiarity. I'm not a PC gamer (neither intend to be), Nintendo has good games, but hardly justifies acquiring a new hardware only to play 3-5 titles (at least for me), and Microsoft doesn't have a library that interests me. The only time I think of exclusives is when I find a game on another platform that's not available on PS. Well, I'll play it if I get the chance, but it's not "a must".

If more people get to play games they are interested in, the better for everyone! That won't change the time I had when I played those games.

• Like 3

makes no difference to me...I couldn't even tell you which games are exclusive...

the 2 basic reasons I buy sony consoles as my main gaming platform are:

1...I can play the gta series...

2...the controllers just feel right...I bought an xbox back in the day and the controller felt lopsided so I decided not to get the next gen one...

yep, it's that simple...and if either of the above changes, I'll consider switching brands again...

edit: I started thinking about my car purchases as a comparison to consoles ...completely different in some ways yes but similar in that it is also a luxury I spend a considerable amount of time with that I need to feel comfortable with while using...I drive a luxury car and it has features like heated seats and steering wheel which I swear I can't live without anymore but that many companies offer, including the non-luxury market...i had to look a bit further into details to get a vehicle I was satisfied with...which made me think:

wouldn't it be great if no games were exclusive?...then suppliers would need to create better consoles and gimmicks to draw in consumers...

Edited by ProfBambam55

Tbh exclusives drive sales. I opted for the PS4 this gen primarily for their exclusives. I also bought an Xbox later on so I could play some of theirs. Though if Microsoft have no exclusives going forward then I have no need to buy an Xbox next gen. That being said I don’t really mind exclusives moving to other consoles after a year or so so more people can try them out without having to pay for an entire new console. Gaming is an expensive hobby as it is without having to buy new hardware for just one game 

My only issue is that people seem to push for PlayStation exclusives to go elsewhere, but that's it. For example, I've seen so many people act like Sony is holding Spider-Man at ransom, yet I almost never see anyone act that way towards Nintendo and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Another example is Persona and Shin Megami TenseiI've seen quite a few games limited to PC and Switch releases the past two years, yet almost everyone seems fine with it. The second a game is announced for PS4 though, you only need to wonder how many people will be crying for a PC and/or Switch port. It seems very odd to me, as I don't see why PlayStation games need to go to other platforms, but it's fine for PC and Nintendo games to stay where they are.

• Like 2

I don't really care, but after reading trash talk about the Vita in the moment the leaks about P4G began to come out, I think some people don't deserve certain games on other platforms.

• Like 2

Doesnt bother me. I think the majority of the games that we play are not exclusive, there are other reasons to buy a specific console besides exclusives. And like others said above, I dont think Sony is abandoning the idea of exclusives. Yes, Horizon is coming to PC, but it's not like the game released on PS4 one day, and the other it was available on PC. So if you dont want to wait who knows many years, it's still worth to buy a Playstation.

There is a reason why I chose PlayStation and remain a PS fan since their very first console. I just ask they keep their exclusives strong and encourage the envy of the gaming industry. I get tickled pink when other platforms and consoles strive to keep up with top quality entertainment experiences found here. I like my home and I'll root for the home team. ?

• Like 1

We as consumers won’t really care, because the fact is that they were exclusive and most of them still are and will be. 

It won’t hurt the brand, if not, it will even benefit from it, more sales and more acknowledge, since people from PC will mostly know those games belongs to the Sony brand, PC players that enjoy Persona and Horizon may even think about getting a PS5 just for exclusives if they can afford it and the games gets in enough. And if they don’t know, they will surely google it for when Horizon 2 is coming for example, and will know the drill by then.

More money, more players, only downside is the barking some people do to hurt the brand.

In an era as fast paced as this one, time is gold, and even one year exclusives can matter by a lot. 

Edited by BlackTorito

There are inherently some pros to exclusivity... one being that, with the right developers, there's less time spent porting initially and more time really maximizing the power of one specific set of hardware and API's.  I think that's part of why PS4's exclusives are capable of being just miles ahead of a lot of third party multiplatform games graphically on modest console hardware.  Two being that the money that gets put into exclusivity or publishing through Sony can go towards funding the game, hopefully making it bigger and better than it might've been otherwise and/or seeing projects come to life that might not have happened at all.

Am I happy with it?  I want my PC gamer friends to be able to enjoy these amazing experiences, so yeah I'm fine with it.  But exclusivity will always be a thing and does have some benefits.  So I'm indifferent overall.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

If it did happen, I wouldn’t mind. The important thing for me are that games I like are made. If that is more likely to happen with their being cross plat then fine. I also have nothing against exclusives if it sells consoles and this lets them invest in game’s I like.

Only caveat is I don’t want third party games to become Sony exclusive due to their horrendous censorship policy; I’d like the option to instead purchase the full game as intended on PC or Switch.

Why? Because it's cheaper, you get the games earlier and because of trophies.

If exclusives games would go to Xbox things would change, because you would be able to play it in even better conditions for the same price. But in order to play a PS5 games on a PC you need a $1200+ PC and then you have to wait to play the games years, if they eventually come, because you can never be sure.

Oh, and the other thing... I think exclusivity is more important to Playstation fans because Sony really hasn't given us much other than exclusives to be excited about lately.  So losing that in any capacity is a shot in the heart for a lot of fans.

Where Sony has the lead this generation and has been stingy, Xbox has taken this opportunity of lagging behind to focus on PR and fan favorites like backwards compatibility, crossplay, Game Pass, etc.

• Like 1