Are you loyal to console brands?

kaltezhan

No, but I do respect some brands more than others for various reasons and I’m happy to vote with my wallet against things I disagree with. 

As a kid I didn’t really care. For example I had a NES and SNES despite their censorship policies as I simply didn’t know about them. Now I’m older and can disagree on a moral level with Sony’s censorship policy, I took a stand only to purchase games second hand since it came into effect. Apart from VR games as I really want to support VR.

I’ve owned all main consoles from Commadore upwards, apart from Wii, Wii U, and Xbone, and that was simply because they had few games In which I was interested.

I’ll likely again get a PS5, but continue to get games second hand there and give my cash to Ninty for their uncensored Switch games (unless, by some miracle, Sony choose to go back to being loyal to their customer base).

ultimately I can be “loyal” in terms of happy to support a company or companies with my cash as I have been in the past to Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft, but I won’t fanboy on them or overlook their immorality (Sony) or extreme marketing bullshit (Microsoft) or lack of features (Nintendo).

Edited by thefourfoldroot

Everyone I knew who had a game console had a PS3. I liked the system and when I decided to switch to a console PS3 was a natural choice. Nintendo does not really appeal to me and now that I have found the extra fun in Playstaion's trophy system there is no reason for me to switch to Xbox. I might pick PC gaming back up again when I finally buy a brand spanking new PC, but probably only for specific PC-only titles.

I kind of am "accidentally". I've always had a PlayStation. PS1 and PS2 were "just the ones I happened to get" though, and I went with PS3 because I was already familiar with PlayStation. From PS4 and onwards I'm definitely loyal though, and it's for two reasons: my trophy collection, and PlayStation just happens to have the most amazing exclusives ever. I can't imagine a World where I wouldn't be able to play stuff like Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War etc. The games that are exclusive to PlayStation are the exact type of games I love the most.

Edited by Maahniac
  • Like 2

On 6/16/2020 at 3:20 PM, DaivRules said:

Loyal? No. If a console has the titles I want to play and a controller I can handle, I pick it up. I've had just about every Nintendo home console and every Sony console so far. I'm still planning on getting a Switch.

This is basically my thoughts, the system has to have the games i want and the controller is a big issue as well. Brand loyalty? not really I have just been with PS because of the games and the controller. Though my last Nintendo console was the Gamecube, which I still have.

I wouldn't necessarily call myself loyal to a particular console. I get the console that will give me the best return value for my money. And in regards to return value, that boils down to the games that I like and that I'll drop lots of time into. And looking at present and ahead, Sony is still the major winner to me. I love the J games, I like indies, and the PS exclusives are more up my ally than the xbox ones are. I'm not really into FPS games much (Halo, Gears) or Racing titles (Forza) so Xbox doesn't really have anything that interests me much. I did think about going Xbox 360 at one point but they were basically FPS or bust so I went with the more expensive $600 PS3 console. 

I also own a Nintendo Switch but don't play it to much. I'm still a huge fan of Pokemon and bought the console for that one IP. I'm regretting that decision a little as the Sword/Shield have so many bugs and exploits that it's kinda lost it's appeal of no two Pokemon are the same. Plus, they didn't include all the Pokemon. How the heck you gonna "catch them all" if they not all there? But I do tend to buy just about every Nintendo console, particularly the handheld ones.

So basically as long as Sony continues to have the J games and more exclusives that I like (R&C, GoW, Ghosts, TLoU, Horizon, LBP, etc) I'm gonna follow them. Plus I don't like the xbox controller, it's to large. 

• 2 months later...

In a sense, yes. I've owned every PlayStation console since PS2. I like the brand and if I had to pick one platform to succeed, PlayStation wins by default.

Other than that, it's just habit, and having an existing investment in the PlayStation ecosystem (trophies, digital games, avatars, etc). Xbox Series X looks increasingly competitive - especially compared to the dead fish that is the Xbox One - but there's simply nothing that would sway me to switch platforms. Even if PS5 turns out to be the worse console, I'm still more fascinated by Sony's tech than Microsoft's. Why? Because I always have been.

I'm usually a PlayStation person but I have owned a console or two from all competitors. SNES, Gameboy color, Sp, and a DS, Sega genesis and Dreamcast, OG Xbox, Nintendo 64, Wii and Wii U.

I'm not exactly wanting to shell out 499$ for a new ps5 so I was actually thinking of getting an Xbox1 or 360 because I kinda want to play Fable 2 and 3 along with Gears and Halo 3-onward which I never played as I did not have a 360.The Gamepass is also pretty sweet not to mention I have a backlog since I have essentially all Wii, Wii U, and Gamecube games at my finger tips

Free online play was why I chose the PS3 over the 360. I subscribed to PS+ before it became mandatory for PS4 online play. Now it's trophies and exclusives that keep me invested in PlayStation. 

I have a Xbox One S that I have yet to play a game on. I use it for Netflix and 4K blurays. I did pick up a couple Halo games and Quantum Break but haven't played them yet. I have such a huge PS3/PS4 backlog still that even thinking about paying for Gamepass or Xbox Live is a waste.

I'm a bit attached to Playstation because the PS2 was the first console I ever had that was genuinely mine. My parents had an old temperamental Atari in the house that didn't work half the time and a PS1 that I played sometimes, but it was in the living room and was mostly my dad's console. The PS2 was in my room and it was all mine. My parents struggled with money issues back then too, so the fact I even had my own console meant a lot to me. I think a family member was giving theirs away and I lucked out. I did my best to take care of it and any games I had. I guess I've just kind of stuck with Playstation since then.

I still cringe when I see people mishandling their discs or controllers and the obviously unstable people who rage out and snap a disc or break their controller. These people clearly never had to hear the words "We can't afford it" growing up. 

I've been more loyal to PlayStation lately. I don't really think about the XSX, but a PS5 is definitely in my future. PlayStation has more exclusive games that I care about. And many Xbox "exclusives" have PC versions. PS4's UI appeals more to me than Xbox One's. I'm sad to see Sony quitting portables. They had a good thing going with the PSP and the PSVita. Mobile phone games will never be as good as real handheld system games IMO.

During the PS3/X360 generation, I'll admit I leaned more towards Xbox 360. I haven't been interested in Nintendo's IPs lately, but they sure have done some things right with the Switch. You can just use MicroSD cards instead of proprietary ones, and it can be played either portable or on your TV (something that would've been nice for the Vita... well it's sort of possible, but you'd have to buy a PSVita TV).

Sony made a major misstep with PlayStation Classic. They should've built it with PSVita TV hardware so that you could buy more PS1 games from PSN, while also being able to buy PSP/Vita ones.

• 3 months later...

Kinda yes and kinda no

i dont really see a reason to get an xbox due to the gamepass anall games also comming to pc

i needed a strong pc for university anyway so i invested a little more to get a proper gamingpc and now play everything with no other choice there

i am „loyal“ to playstation because of the exclusives

i love ratchet and clank for example but also like to play god of war, uncharted, horizon

and i had no problem waitinf with times exclusives back when they were a thing (tomb raider for example)

but i also love pokemon and zelda so i also have multiple 3ds systems and 2 switches

in the end i play most on playstation consoles for trophy hunting but i think i like the switch most

Im loyal to good games. Just so happens that Playstation has the best right now. That can change. 

Any company that you are loyal to has a great marketing department. I mean sure a company can have a good resumé but at the end of the day its only there to sell you stuff. And when they have a bad day...oooh boy. (Seems to have been a similar situation with a certain Punk game recently...) ?

Options and variety every day baby. Try try and try some more. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As of January 2021 this is how I see the achievement/trophy hunting scene. This is just my opinion and what I say here is not gospel. I think xbox is currently the better value and better platform if all you want to do is play a lot of quality games for cheap and 100% them. Previously I would have said steam is the best value but I now think xbox is. I think playstation still wins in terms of having the best exclusives and actual community built around hunting achievements. Psnprofiles is a big part of the reason I continue to chase trophies over gamerscore.

What I like better about xbox:

1) xbox game pass allows you to play more games and 100% more games for less. The level of value especially with ea play and games with gold is on another level that Sony can't even touch right now. Ontop of that gamepass pc and soon ea play on. The game pass on pc and console are also different to so its good value to own both an xbox and a pc so you can make full use of the constantly changing gaming library's on both platforms. 

2) xbox has backwards compatibility and allows you to go back and play older games from a single machine. I wanted to go back and play the older assassin's creed games but rewalised I need to buy a ps3 (and I don't like holding onto older stuff i have limited space) I just can't go back and play on my ps5 like I can on my series x. You don't really understand how bad the ps backwards compatibility  is until you've owned an xbox.

3) this is minor for 99.9% of the world but for me the new achievement sound on the ps5 is awful. I don't know why they ruined the notification so badly when it was so nice on the ps4. The xbox notification sound on the series x is much nicer. Especially the ultra rare achievment notification sound and diamond that shows up on xbox makes me feel excited

I don't get that on an achievement pop besides the plat on ps5 and even then the sound is so ho hum.

4) gaining achievements on xbox and completing quests allows you to gain Microsoft points that you can then redeem for vouchers or cash.

5) games have one region. The majority of games either have a console version, a pc version or its play anywhere meaning its both and shares one achievement list and cross save. I find this much simpler than having the same game from multiple different regions it creates confusion and allows junk platinum farming. 

5) i prefer gamerscore in the way its easier to read at a glance. More gamerscore = more games played.  The ps trophy system is even better but the profile leveling system isn't very and feels almost meaningless.

What I like better about playstation:

1) the platinum trophy is still something the xbox doesn't have. Chasing that platinum is more incentive  for me personally than chasing 1000gs. 

2) the way playstation lists dlcs  into separate lists and doesn't allow seasonal trophies to be added is great. I hate how on xbox  if a dlc is added you loose 100% completion because Microsoft is to bone headed to split the lists up.

3) the way playstation lists achievements is nicer than xbox. The ps5 achievement ui sucks but the ps4 ui is spot on and the way gamercards are shown is better. I hope they fix the ps5 achievement list.

4) exclusives. At the end of the day we are here to play games first and achievements second (i am anyway) and playstatiom historically has had exclusives that im more interested in. 

5) psnprofiles vs trueachievements. I think trueachievements is a much more feature rich website in terms of statistics and leaderboard info but the actual layout is hot garbage. Everything is buried in menus and unclear. The forums are subpar and convoluted. Psnprofiles is clean looking and provides everything you need  plus the community features are rich and easy to use at a glance.  I enjoy the fact the website also has easy discord integration and of course the people in the community are great.

6) i like the playstation app better than the xbox one. Its nice they emelgimated the two playstaion apps into one and combined with the ease of of finding people to boost with on psnprofiles it creates a nice eco system for playing games.

What I like about steam:

1) i like the steam client and all of the social integration. The steam overlay with built in browser and guide view is amazing.  

2) the achievements usually work and developers are usually easy to contact on the platform to get them fixed if they are not.

3) steam big picture mode allows you to treat your pc like a console 

4) the amount of free games (heaps are quality) and value in that is unmatched on consoles....

What I don't like on steam

1) the amount of shovel ware and trash games that get put on their for people to buy to spam pointless achievements. 

2) achievement unlocker  software.

3) some pretty elitist and mean spirited people on steam.

4) lack of solid steam achievement websites. There is asats, steamhunters and comepletionest but they can't even hold a candle to psnprofiles in terms of features and community. There are some nice discord groups like gunners living room and 100pals but they are cross platform.

My 2 cents! Cheers

Edited by Dan-lives-here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I couldn't swap console brands. I've invested too much time and effort in my PSN profile and enjoy the trophy system. I don't think I'd want to play a game if it didn't have trophies. I'm definitely very worried about the potential for Xbox to have much better exclusives in the future as western RPGs is something rather lacking on the PS4 and my favourite genre. 

It's all about the games for me. If I could buy all consoles and have a pc I would.

First played on pc. DOOM and half life 2/css. Had a N64 before half life 2 came out so I was addicted to mario and star fox. Then I got a ps2 and played what I could. Loved atx vs motercross or whatever It was called. Then when the 360 got announced I pre ordered it at my local blockbuster. Only time I got a console on day one. But I got quake 4 and call of duty 2. Lots of good memories. I then got into a good amount of money after highschool and bought a ps3 and wii u. I then found that ps3 had so many amazing games. Resistance 3, infamous series, uncharted, God of war series( I was so happy to play the psp games of the series on the ps3), and so much more. And my original 360 was getting old. Well kind of original. Turned it in twice for the red ring of death. It sucked so hard too when it happened the second time. I was playing condemned 2 and in a tight spot but fucking it died right when I figured out what I needed to do. Was so frustrated haha.

Anyways, when the ps4 came out I don't think I was around. Don't wanna explain why, But trust me when I say nothing but survival and staying sane is what matters. I played bioshock infinite on 360 was the next thing "gaming" I remember. But it was a few years. So when I did that, it sucked me back in. So the ps4 was out so traded my ps3(which i kind of regret) and paid a little out of pocket for a ps4. Only game I wanted to play on xbox was tomb raider 2, so ps4 won easy peasy. 

Now here I am 6 or 7 years later wanting both new consoles again. Microsoft bought many good gaming co. And fucking the sequel to the game about the schizophrenia chick is only coming to xbox. But will probably buy ps5 first depending when I can get one. Whenever you can walk in a store and buy both consoles that's when I'm buying one.

Games first, console second.