Hisuiryu's Never Ending Backlog

Hisuiryu

'Grats on your thread, looking forward to your updates. Very good to see someone else with a Metrico 100%; a very rare achievement, but not too hard - just very, very frustrating and boring.

I would strongly, STRONGLY recommend doing the online for inFamous 2 and Festival of Blood as soon as possible, even if you haven't starting them yet. From hearsay, the servers are starting to deteriorate.

Need to get my PS3 shipped over and do the online for AssCreed Brotherhood and Revelations myself too (and bloody Black Flag, I hate my brother for putting them on my profile), so maybe I'll see you during the online grind at some point.

17 hours ago, Last-_-Judgment said:

Nice start to the thread! Congratulations on the journey so far 1f600.png On your 'not started yet' list, you got some great games to play! Specifically Dishonored, Uncharted series, Heavy Rain, Alien Isolation and Borderlands. Love them all.

Thanks! Yeah, some popular games for sure on my list... Dishonored is actually a game I played way back on the Xbox, I'm definitely looking forward to playing it again! The amount of crap I heard about the online in Uncharted 2 stopped me ever even starting to play on the PS3 version, I'm glad they removed it in the remaster so I can play them some day :D 

14 hours ago, Golem25 said:

'Grats on your thread, looking forward to your updates. Very good to see someone else with a Metrico 100%; a very rare achievement, but not too hard - just very, very frustrating and boring.

I would strongly, STRONGLY recommend doing the online for inFamous 2 and Festival of Blood as soon as possible, even if you haven't starting them yet. From hearsay, the servers are starting to deteriorate.

Need to get my PS3 shipped over and do the online for AssCreed Brotherhood and Revelations myself too (and bloody Black Flag, I hate my brother for putting them on my profile), so maybe I'll see you during the online grind at some point.

Yeah, I'm always surprised how rare that is! I guess just because it's a little tricky and a PS+ game bloated the rarity, but it's a lot easier than the rarity makes it look for sure.

...I'm going to be honest, I didn't even realise they had anything online. I'll definitely look at getting them soon since it looks like it's just play some missions - thanks pointing that out!

It's going to be such a pain to do these days I would guess... Other people putting games on your profile is the worst! It's why I have the buggy vita version of Space Hulk on my list, hopefully it won't be too bad when I play it!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Golem25 said:

6 minutes ago, Hisuiryu666 said:

...I'm going to be honest, I didn't even realise they had anything online. I'll definitely look at getting them soon since it looks like it's just play some missions - thanks pointing that out!

Yeah unfortunately I would also have to say the same. The online is very much one of those that could go under without any warning because it's not competitive online and not many people care about the online features for it. I did it recently too and found it so hassling to stay connected. I dc'ed a few times and sometimes events wouldn't count. Luckily the online only takes 1-2hours and can be done solo. 

Edited by Last-_-Judgment

Update time!

:platinum: #71 - Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus

1L3bf7a1.png

Easy game and fun enough for what it is, though the repetitive gameplay is kind of tedious by the end. Considering it's entirely a fanservice game, I was surprised that some of the story elements and characters were actually interesting and compelling, so that's a bonus, but doesn't make any of the characters any less cringe inducing (Haruka & Ryona come to mind... especially together). That said I'm not exactly the target audience for that stuff, I might consider playing Estival Versus at some point if I see it cheap enough.

Currently playing: Progress Report

Spoiler

Ld7b562.png

Got fucked over by the buggy controls right at the end of I Am the Night mode, so on attempt #2 of that and just on my way to Royal Hotel. I'll definitely be backing up my save file when I get to Blackgate to stop that happening again....

Challenges Medals: 

Ranked Mode: 60/72

Campaign Mode: 54/108

Custom Mode: 0/72

L30e26f.png

Cleared all of the Bagel Race and Rampage modes A++ now, which also gave me a new 4 rarest trophies! I've tried the first stage of cheese hunt a few times and can't get close to the time needed yet, it'll be a while before I get the hang of it I think.... I might switch to clear 0G mode first since that's supposed to be easier.

A++

Story Mode: 7/7

Cheese Hunt: 0/7 - 

Rampage: 7/7

Bagel Race: 7/7

0 G: 0/7

I've also just installed inFamous Festival of Blood so I'll look to get the online portion done ASAP, thanks for the recommendation on that one guys :)

• Like 3

:platinum: # 72 - Batman: Arkham Origins

1L1dd0af.png

And now I'm done with all of the PS3 Batman games. I did the online years ago (finished up when they announced the server closure that never happened), so I didn't have to do that. Fun enough game, though clearly nowhere near as polished as the previous Arkham games. I Am The Night mode was massively unnecessary and kind of soured the experience, even if they were going for "difficult", the ability to restart checkpoints made it mostly arbitrary, the only real risk are one-shot situations which just make it potentially frustrating more than hard.

Still, a good story and a nice, if small, expansion on the Arkham City map. It's fun to see the city pre-prison though, as well as getting a couple of enemy origins. The challenge maps are easier than both the previous games, even if it's annoying having to do them in custom mode too.

Mb60dc1.pngM14d33e.png

And also 100% both DLC packs! I did initiation legit rather than autopopping with the previous patch error, it was kind of annoying with some of Bruce's limitations, but nothing too difficult. Outside of completionism though I wouldn't recommend it. On the other hand, CCH was really good! A couple hours story arc featuring Mr Freeze' origin, set in the new portion of the map with a decent number of sidequests & collectables to make you run around a little without feeling like a chore. The new upgrades weren't anything special, but it made it feel different enough from the main game which was nice.

100% - inFamous: Festival of Blood

L38a6b1.png

A scaled-down inFamous with some vampires thrown in... I really liked it! It's been a while since I played and inFamous games so this was a nice little dip back in. Thankfully I didn't have any issues with the UGC stages despite concerns, so hopefully the 2nd game will be just as agreeable. Otherwise nothing too exciting trophy wise, a guide isn't really needed for it at all. I'm super glad that the sense upgrade lets you see the jars on the mini-map though, I still have nightmares about blast shards in the first game!

• Like 2

On 6/17/2020 at 8:01 AM, Last-_-Judgment said:

Specifically Dishonored, Uncharted series, Heavy Rain, Alien Isolation and Borderlands. Love them all.

Heavy Rain was amazing. The only two things I didn't like were the sex scene (that was just super awkward) and the fact that it lacks a whole lot of replay value once you solve the mystery. I want to get one of the little origami thingers for my gaming memorabilia shelf.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

Heavy Rain was amazing. The only two things I didn't like were the sex scene (that was just super awkward) and the fact that it lacks a whole lot of replay value once you solve the mystery. I want to get one of the little origami thingers for my gaming memorabilia shelf.

Completely agree. I think most sex scenes are awkward in games haha. But yh once the mystery is solved, there's no real point of playing it again other than to see the other endings. Definitely my favourite of the Quantic Dream games though. Have an origami memorabilia would be awesome ?

Just now, Last-_-Judgment said:

Completely agree. I think most sex scenes are awkward in games haha. But yh once the mystery is solved, there's no real point of playing it again other than to see the other endings. Definitely my favourite of the Quantic Dream games though. Have an origami memorabilia would be awesome 1f601.png

I think what made it awkward was having to actually control them and make them do it. lmbo I think the physical copy of the game comes with a little yellowed, bloody-looking paper to fold and some instructions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It feels like it's been a while since I had something to add, but here we are:

The Last of Us (PS3) + Left Behind

Le3b641.png L686931.png

The Last of Us is finally complete, or as complete as it can be. I never did a second play after it first came out, so it's taken 7 years. Obviously the online servers are gone so no plat or 100%, but I've done every offline trophy for the main game and the Left Behind DLC - unfortunately as Grounded mode is delisted in the EU stores that is also unobtainable for me.

Had a blast playing this again, and I'm really excited to pick up TLOU2 in the future - Survivor mode was frustrating at times (especially the end of the DLC), but not too unmanageable after figuring out a strategy for each section. I only used a guide for the collectables, not the gameplay so pretty pleased to have done it! Still a fantastic game, and still looks pretty good (though I've no doubt the remaster looks better), it was the first time I played the DLC too and it was nice, nothing amazing but it was a good little side-story with some more detail on Ellie's background. 

I'll likely play the remastered version at some point, but for now it's back to grinding Trillion and Time and Eternity (ugh), then probably inFamous 2!

It feels like it's been a while since I had something to add, but here we are:

:platinum: #73 - Time and Eternity

1L1c4932.png

What can I say about this game... An anime style JRPG, but it's honestly awful. It's shallow in all aspects, the combat is dull, most bosses can be defeated by keeping them silenced then pounding on them, the characters are cringe-inducing, the story is just an excuse for the cute girl(s) to say how much they love the protagonist and act like a waifu (including some very risqué cgs for the 16 year old fiancé) - it flips between taking itself seriously and trying to parody the type of game, all aspects of which fall flat with it's unfunny comedy. Tons of re-used assets and choppy animation, plus noticeable slowdown in some areas for no good reason. I've got to say, my instinct when I first got it 7 years ago was right, I wasn't missing out on anything by dropping it after an hour.

The soundtrack was pretty good though, so it's got that going for it. It's also relatively short for a JRPG (my playtime for the plat clocked in at about 28 hours including time left it running while I was doing stuff).

100% - Journey (PS3)

9Lbc4f7b.png

I believe I first played this when it was release on PS+, it's been installed for a long time but I hadn't gone back to it until I wanted something a bit relaxing after finishing TLOU. Still a really nice, atmospheric game, with pretty visuals, great music and compelling storytelling and world building. I like this game a lot, even if it's basically a walking simulator with extra steps. I was glad to find it still has a good number of active players, so I didn't have any issues with the co-op trophies at all making the cleanup painless.

-------

I also bought Little Nightmares in the current sale, I got to play a demo version of this at comic con some time ago so I'm excited to play the full game!

Still cleaning up the last few runs of Trillion, but that's nearly there now. I don't know what to play for my 75th milestone help...

Edited by Hisuiryu666
Formatting
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Neku-tan said:

You should get back to Blazblue games. They're not that hard as they seems to be. Atelier series is pretty good, too.

Funnily enough, I pulled out Calamity Trigger from storage recently! I've been thinking about going back to a few of them, but I played CT back on the Xbox so I know I can do that one at least, haha! I'm actually not great at fighters so I don't know if I'll ever do some of the tougher ones... But you're right, I should absolutely give them a go.

I see you did CS Extend on Vita recently - how was the online? Did you boost it or is it still a little active?

I have a odd relationship with Atelier games, I adored Atelier Iris on the PS2, but the more recent titles feel so different I always get a little disappointed which puts me off playing them. I think I can enjoy them if I take them as they are, but it's hard to ignore those feelings at times...

@Hisuiryu666

Calamity Trigger is definitely the easiest one from the Blazblue universe so even if you're not the best in fighting games (like me) you should have no problems.

Actually, that was the first Blazblue game I boost online because online is now dead. You can't find anyone there. The grind for the 100 matches ranked is not that long, though but you need a two more players for team battle mode.

I haven't played any Atelier game on Playstation 2 because these games are so expensive in my country. I bought my first Atelier game - Rorona quite accidentally. I was looking for a PS3 jRPG games and I find its cover quite interesting. I liked it and I decided to buy it. Later, it turned out that it was love at first sight and I'm buying them to this day.

@Neku-tan

Yeah, I know that one's not too bad at least!  That's a shame, I should be able to rope my brother into boosting it with me though, so it could be worse.

Ah, yeah, they are pretty pricey to get now, I was lucky to come across them not too long after the release so it wasn't too bad price-wise. That's good though, they're certainly not bad games, and really cute art!

:platinum: #74 - Trillion: God of Destruction 

1L4e210a.png

Trillion is now done! Overall, it's an okay time management/strategy type game, to get strong enough to beat a super-boss, fairly mediocre all in all. I think the trophies on it sour the experience because the character endings mean half-playing to a certain point at which you train the character and beat Trillion with them. While it's not bad for the early chapter endings, the later ones are tedious. It would be much better if the trophies were one for each ending so that you could reload and continue the save file to the next chapter after getting the ending, but alas that's not how they did it.

The characters are varied, in both design and character, though they are pretty trope-y. I would prefer it without all the incest-vibes, a couple were done nicely in a non-romantic way, but several of them were just uncomfortable (Fegor, Elma, Ruche at times). I liked Ashmedia's and Faust's endings the most, the true end felt like a huge cop out even if it was expected. I think that leads into one of my main criticisms story-wise - they included almost no emotional weight to sending all your friends and family to die, the only time I felt anything was around Trillion's Agent's battle with Ruche, and in Faust's chapter, when it finally felt like they were trying to give it emotional weight - The rest of the time I barely cared (and by play through 5, I didn't at all) which is a shame.

Other than the ending grind, the trophies are easy enough, just that part makes it fairly time-consuming.

---------------

I've decided on Kingdom Hearts II for my milestone so doing all the postgame stuff on that at the moment, mostly just level grinding, Data XIII and Lingering Will, the gummi missions to do - then a play through on Critical mode.

My next vita game, I'm going back to Operation Abyss, I enjoyed what I played before, but the game bugged and I couldn't progress so I stopped really early.

I've also added a few more backlog games, I hadn't looked through my US account and there's a good number of titles on there I want to play so they're going on the list!

Edited by Hisuiryu666

:platinum: #75 - Kingdom Hearts II

1Lcc2305.png

My 75th plat is KH2! Just like my 50th milestone, I picked one of my favourite PS2 games to finish off (I really do consider it the golden era of JRPGs).

I had already played through the PS3 version some time ago (3 years according to the trophy list!), so I picked this up from that point - already finished the story on Standard mode and only a handful of extra content cleared. Finishing up that save file was a blast, though some of the minigames are frustrating, looking at you Mushroom VIII, I'm glad I had so much left to clear in different places so I could get back into the swing of gameplay before taking on the extra bosses! I ended up beating Sephiroth around lv65, and already beat all the Absent Silhouettes before that - cleared up everything else and levelled up before facing the Data Organization battles, none of them were too tricky at max with top tier equipment though. Then beat the Lingering Will, this took a few attempts but he wasn't too bad, I definitely wouldn't want to face him on harder difficulties though! All done, clocked in about 78 hours.

Finally, I played Critical Mode, as usual hardest difficulties aren't especially fun for me - like getting one shot by dragoons when they spawn is annoying, but just a matter of learning which areas they spawn and pre-empting them. Really, the only parts I found particularly tough were Xaldin (who I ended up using Mickey against when all I needed was to land a finisher haha), Roxas (though after levelling to get Second Chance it wasn't particularly hard), and Xigbar (who I just honestly have always hated fighting). I think some of it was made easier by doing the Data battles recently so I somewhat knew the strategies - jumping straight into Critical would have probably caused more trouble against Org XIII.

All in all, still an extremely fun game, and I think they did a good job with the trophy list - the addition of stacking difficulty trophies compared the first collection was good, and I'm also glad they dropped the "challenge run" trophies (speedrun, unchanging armour). Overall it's a list that encourages playing all the content in the game without pushing into "just doing this to get the plat" which is what I prefer, definitely would recommend it to any fans that haven't played the remaster!

---------------

I borrowed some games from my brother this weekend, so I will be playing the DLC for Prince of Persia (2008) soon, and then starting Spider-Man probably from this weekend.

I'm thinking about starting Star Ocean 4 soon, but we'll see!

• Like 1

Prince of Persia - Epilogue DLC

L0f0b8c.png

I got the opportunity to borrow PoP recently since I don't own a copy myself, since I bought the DLC back in 2016 on sale I was pretty happy to finally play it. The reboot of a loved franchise that I'm not that attached to, I had a fair bit of fun playing through the main game, though admittedly I don't remember it that well beyond that. I jumped right into the Epilogue, which picks up right where the game ends, with only vague memories of the story and unsure of the controls. Because of that I opted to do 2 playthroughs, spending the first completing miscellaneous things and getting used to the gameplay, and overall preparing myself the speedrun. To the best of my memory, the gameplay is just more of the same, a new type of panel which creates temporary surfaces to parkour on but nothing else new. Still, it has solid level design if you like the platforming/climbing action of the core game and a handful of fights, not a bad addition. Story wise it  unfortunately still ends of a cliffhanger that will likely never be revisited.

The trophy's are pretty easy, the frescos are all easy to find (I only missed one first time through because I hit a point of no return in the area before I noticed the climbing path), the speedrun isn't overly strict either. Defeating the enemies before they spawn is by far the hardest part, but even that just takes a bit of practice to perfect the relevant section. Probably not worth the full price they sell it at, but it hasn't been on sale since 2016 so you may be out of luck on that front!

---------

Burnout Paradise - Party Pack DLC

L7cb8c9.png

Not much to say about it, a "pass the controller" style party mode of Burnout Paradise - included in the Ultimate Box collection so one of the 2 DLCs that are still available on the PS3 version. Trophies are extremely easy and mostly quick. Only one takes significant time (about 30 mins), and that's just hold R2 and press X sometimes. I wouldn't have bothered with this if I had to pay any extra for it I think, but it brings my completion up a little which is nice.

--------

That's all for now, but it bring PoP out of my backlog entirely, and for Burnout it's just the Bikes pack to finish them I'm done with that as well.

Also, I reformatted my first post a little, so all 100% games are now combined (plat or not), and added a little trophy display of the plat icons because I can.

• Like 1

:platinum: Marvel's Spider-Man

1La2014d.png

So, this is a game I was extremely excited about, but I had largely stopped playing Playstation for a while by the time it came out - so now I'm back on it, I was looking forward to it and the game did not disappoint. I could say so many things that have been said before about this game, it's beautiful, plays fantastically, feels smooth and has a great story. It really is everything I would want from a Spider-Man game - even lots of little (and big) references to the larger Spidey/Marvel universe which just added to the fun as a fan.

It was interesting watching the story play out, particularly in regards to Peter's place of work, for most people it's no surprise what happens there, but the way they built up, knowing that the "twist" wouldn't be much of one since the audience would expect it was done fantastically.

Funnily enough, I think the trophy list was probably the weakest part -though it's an inoffensive list, the fact that it doesn't require collecting all upgrades or even clearing any of the Taskmaster challenges to the highest level is kind of dull. Though the couple of miscellaneous things are nice (the grave and Avengers building), overall I'd have preferred it to be a bit more challenging. Nothing overly bad though, just not exciting to me.

I'm looking forward to the next time the DLC is on sale to pick that up, and I'll probably do the NG+ run next month. 

---------

:platinum: Day of the Tentacle Remastered

1Lf4cd41.png

A game that came to PS+ in... 2016? Something like that, a classic point and click adventure that really just missed the mark for me. I think games of this style and of this time (90's) are largely good because of their humour, like Monkey Island or Simon the Sorcerer, and I didn't particularly find this title funny. I used a guide so I didn't miss any of the trophies, which may have spoiled it a bit, but I honestly don't think I would have enjoyed a blind play at all, so I suppose I'm just glad it's pretty short.

---------

1f4af.png Burnout Paradise - Bikes DLC

L7cb8c9.png

A much better DLC pack for the game than Party Pack, and while the bikes aren't as good as the usual car gameplay, I still had a lot of fun doing all the races. Predominantly this just made me tempted to pick up the remaster...maybe if it goes on sale!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've fallen behind on this in August, so I'll be doing a few write ups to catch up. My opening post is up to date though for anyone curious!

:platinum: Call of Cthulhu

1L15b27e.png

Call of Cthulhu is a detective-adventure game with a Lovecraftian flavour. Loosely based on the tabletop RPG of the same name the game allows you to assign skill points to your protagonist to improve his abilities and (theoretically) increase your chances of passing skill checks - which brings us onto one of the games first flaws, almost all of these skills are entirely arbitrary as it makes barely any difference if you pass or fail the vast majority of checks. The only stat it's ever worth putting points into is spot hidden, because without it it's impossible to find enough hidden items for the relevant trophy, some great choice-based gameplay there.

Like a lot of these kind of games, the trophies are pretty boring, mostly about picking certain options, seeing certain endings and generally making sure not to miss too much stuff. Pretty easy if a little dull, not sure I'd really recommend the game overall however.

:platinum: Guacamelee!

1L63d8bb.png

I actually enjoyed this way more than I expected - I heard good things about it back when it was given on PS+ but just never got around to it. Guacamelee! is a metroidvania game with a mexican wrestler flair, you play as Juan, who becomes a Luchador to save the president's daughter and prevent the world from turning into some kind of undead kingdom. It was pretty easy all in all, even the more difficult sections didn't take too long to get the hang of, but it was still very satisfying. The DLC was a lot of fun too, the challenges being probably the most difficult part of the game but again, it just required perseverance and working out a good strategy for many of them. 

Quite silly in places (such as the power to turn into a chicken!) and a blast all the way through, I would definitely recommend this game, especially as it's available on PS4 as well (which I think I will stack some time in the future). I'm also looking forward to picking up the sequel when it's on sale (oh, it's on sale now....)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LordBilbanes said:

Interesting thread.  One of these days I should do something like this.  I am impressed with the progress you're making on your backlog.  I find myself with a huge one of my own and it'll take ages to get through it all.

i hear that. my backlog is round 200ish games. well not ish over but still.

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 6:59 PM, LordBilbanes said:

Interesting thread.  One of these days I should do something like this.  I am impressed with the progress you're making on your backlog.  I find myself with a huge one of my own and it'll take ages to get through it all.

It's fun to do, I think you should go for it. Thanks, it's fun mixing up finishing old games and still playing new stuff - I'm fortunate that I haven't really played anything that I really disliked so there's not an issue of not wanting to go back to the games. Mostly I try to finish at least 1 old game for every new one I add to my profile to keep working on the backlog... It's slowly working!

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 7:17 PM, funboy1246 said:

i hear that. my backlog is round 200ish games. well not ish over but still.

On the flip side, you have a lot of fantastic games on your profile that you've barely played, so if you dive into your backlog you can have a great time on a variety of games!

Edited by Hisuiryu666
typo :(