Hisuiryu's Never Ending Backlog

Hisuiryu

Predictably I'm behind on this thread once again!

:platinum: Tropico 5 (2.21%)

L52dafd.png 1L4bd4ae.png

Total Time: 20 hours

Fun: 8/10

Difficulty: 3/10

Notes: 2 trophy-DLC packs, Quick and easy to boost online

Tropico 5 is the first entry in the popular city-builder series to grace PS, and as a genre that rarely leaves the PC-verse I was pleasantly surprised how well it played on console. The game revolves around building up tropical islands from colonisation by the British, declaring independence and navigating world politics through various era's while balancing happiness, faction support, the economy and whatever hare-brained ideas your adviser comes up with.

Like many of these kinds of games, it has a bit of a learning curve to get used the balance and how to deal with your islanders without losing support of spiralling too far into nation debt. However a bit of trial and error getting used to it, and the game is relatively easy (despite what the rarity might make you believe... it suffers major PS+ syndrome), a few mission requirements in the campaign can cause trouble if your island is not set up in a good way ready for them, but I never found any point where it wasn't salvageable. I very much appreciate that the game doesn't overstay it's welcome, the campaign is a great length for the type of game and pushes you to do a few things without really feeling repetitive or like you're only going through the motions to tick the boxes. Some of the miscellaneous trophies would be a bit of a pain but the availability of unlimited money sandbox mode means anything you don't achieve playing normally can be cleaned up pretty fast.

The online on this sort of game is something that's never appealed to me and Tropico 5 is no different, thankfully the trophy requirement can be completed in about 30 mins with a partner so it doesn't detract from the overall experience.

Overall this game is a lot of fun and most people will have access to it from PS+ so I recommend giving it a go if city builders appeal to you! My only warning is the DLC packs are a little pricey and I have found it's cheaper to buy the complete collection on disc (which includes to game and all DLC) than just trying to get the trophy-DLC...

• Like 2