Does anyone here ever get very angry when you keep losing/can’t get a trophy?

usapro2017

About the worst is cursing, but the main games that annoy me are Vita games and no matter how tempted I may be, breaking my Vita would suck because they are hard to replace right now.  I know this well because I just had to replace my OLED Vita due to issues with its buttons and battery.

The games that annoy me are Muramasa Rebirth and Sparkle Unleashed. Muramasa Rebirth has some very cheap mechanics and Sparkle Unleashed is incredibly luck dependent and seems like RNG is very against you in that game. 

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 2

It depends on why I failed.

If it was my fault, or something I had control over but didn't heed caution, then I'm just a bell end.

If it's the game causing me to fail through poor design, wonky mechanics or cheap encounters, then yeah, I get a little upset. I swear often anyway, so that's not really a good gauge of whether I'm mad or not. I haven't thrown a controller since Heavy Rain on PS3, so there's that...

• Like 4

The only example I can think of is the final boss in Axiom Verge. I forget what the trophy requirements were, but I remember having to kill him with only one weapon, which required constant spamming of the attack button to the point that my thumb started to bleed. Every time I died, I knew that would be three more minutes of button mashing, and I got so mad that I threw my controller against the floor. The left handle is still dented to this day.

Obviously, the best thing to do is just walk away. The times I actually get the maddest aren't when I die, but when I feel like I'm wasting my time. Cities: Skylines is a great example of that. That game should not be stressful to play, but so many of those trophies should've popped much sooner for me than they did.

• Like 2

I just got very angry while playing Infamous on the hardest difficulty, I can definitely relate to you, I also often curse at the game (without shouting though, since I game mostly at night, it's a skill I had to develop). 

Like others have already pointed out, the best thing you can do is take a break. It really, REALLY, does help. The longer it is, the less likely you'll be to get angry again. 

After quietly insulting the protagonist of Infamous, I put the controller down, looked at my phone for about 10 minutes, picked it up again and beat the level without getting angry.

Edited by Hush_wu
  • Like 2

I smashed my PS3 controller ONCE in my entire life because of the challenges in Sly 3 (Years ago). It didn't break much, but I regret that anyway. Therefore, I never throw my controller...

I tend to rage easily in some games, specially indies, when there are some issues that ruin my playthrough. When that happens, I shout at the screen, I curse and I insult all those developers. Then I turn off the console - cause PS4 controllers aren't cheap. 

One of the few games I play daily and I'm relaxed most of times except a specific mode is in Gems of War. Gosh, I've insulted them so much since "Who the f* made this pile of s* so cheap?" to "So many people dying with terrorism and this f*ing company is still active? What a waste of bombs".

Edited by TurtlePM
  • Like 2

My current frustration is with Assassins Creed Liberation (Vita), I’m looking at 100 sync on one of the last missions where you can’t touch the water thinking: “Do I really even want to attempt this?” After trying to get the trophy for blocking 10 firing lines and the game not counting my 25 successful attempts so far, I don’t get angry, I just question whether it’s worth it to keep trying.

Also SHIELD Infiltrator on LBP Vita is making me question pursuing it. My hands are cramping and I can’t play this one on PSTV, which would make it so much easier. 

I don’t get angry though. I just move on to another game. 

• Like 1

Nah, it's rare that I get angry at videogames.

Sometimes when things are unfair I curse like a sailor but I don't throw or hit stuff.

However, a few challenges have literally given me some sleepless nights.

With that being said, I mostly know my limits and I do some researching about game difficulty before I buy it.

• Like 1

I used to get angry all the time when i lost in games. Now i just turn it off if it annoys me. Then i come back later and smash it :)

I find that if i try and do too much in one sitting, i get annoyed and easily angry. That's why (especially on big grinds), i try and take it small steps at a time, and not worry too much about how much i still need to grind. Right now, im doing a couple a missions and maybe a couple animals pr session in Red Dead Redemption 2. When i get little further into the missions, im gonna knock off some of the collectables (finish 1 collection strand pr sitting), and that way, i might not get the platinum (Let's see if i ever get it, but i hope), in a year or maybe it may take longer, but this way, i can play other things in between, and not get angry about the massive grinding.....

• Like 1

Might have ended up with a couple of broken controllers.
Can't remember which game not sure which game.
 And was coming pretty close on snapping the rayman legends disc in half as well, although I wouldn't really call that one a rage quit type thing was more of I didn't feel like playing the game anymore type.
Playing the game 80+ days in a row can take its toll even though I still like the game since I bought it again on Nintendo Switch.
 Haven't broken a console or t.v. yet like I hear some people do, or putting holes in walls.

Edited by Nightstream88
  • Like 1

I think the worst I ever had was when I was playing WWE 12 and I simply dropped my controller because I was frustrated and it broke. My friend was there and for a while he wouldn't let me use his controller because he was worried I would do it again. I remember being really embarrassed and I've tried not to do that again. Now if I get too frustrated, I just turn the game off and come back later.

• Like 1

I sometimes get annoyed when I'm repeatedly failing a certain objective in a game - I'm known to invent new cuss words on the spot - but I don't throw controllers around or anything like that, since console peripherals aren't cheap.  If I feel myself getting too pissed off with something, I'll either come back to it later, or just move on from it if I don't think I can do it.

Trophies, after all, are simply not worth getting angry over.  There are far more important things in life to concern oneself with.

• Like 2

Never.

I never threw any controllers down, yelled at the TV screen or wanted to punch anything.

And yes, I have faced difficult situations in getting some trophies. If things don't go my way or I die again, the worst that happens, is that I grip my controller and tell myself out loud: "Aww god damn it, come on. Alright, we got this, we can do this!"

With each failed attempt, you get one step closer to acquiring that trophy anyway. Just keep at it, hone your skills and you'll pull off whatever it is you're trying to pull off, eventually.

And if you do have anger management issues (which is possible, everyone's different), just focus on something else. Put the controller down and turn off your PS4, go for a run, play some sports, watch a good movie or TV series, meet up with friends.

Whenever I face a big hurdle and I trip, whether it's in a game or when something goes wrong in life in general, as it happens for us all at times, this is a quote I always have in the back of my mind:

The road to success is paved by failure.

Words to live by.

• Like 4

No, i just choose to stop playing for awhile since anger always makes me get impatient which makes me make more mistakes that'll just make me more angry.

46 minutes ago, AK-1138 said:

Anger, and displays thereof, is a fruitless and futile waste of time and energy. Making voodoo dolls bearing the likeness of game developers, on the other hand... well, what can I say? It's the revenge you, or should I say, they deserve...

df5d355b03c464a6124419eed59658e0.gif

@AK-1138 Also, mad respect for the Monkey Island reference, that game is a classic.

• Like 1

im angry ALL the time at every single game. i honestly dont know why i even game. i remember me and my friend were so pissed at mortal kombat on super nintendo he looked like the incredible hulk and went GRGRGGRGRGRGRRRRRR and snapped the fkn controller in half. the evil within drove me nuts. i threw my controller at the wall and it came back at me like a boomerang and i ducked and it hit the other wall. and nothing was even wrong with the controller but now i got a hole in my wu tang poster from it. if its a really hard game i sometimes just give up because i have enough trophies that it dont matter. but i hate seeing when its like a 8% or higher plat and i cant get it lol.

• Like 3

Currently very angry with myself because of Super Meat Boy, this game frustrates me for years now and very few games get me as mad as this one. Makes me wonder why I do this shit to myself. Clawed myself through most of these insane ironman trophies, now only two left, expected the Girl Boy trophy to be pretty easy, at least easier than Zombie Boy, but as it turns out I have serious problems getting even this one. With the last missing one being at least ten times harder, and me not making any progress for several hours now, I start to think that it is hopeless and that I torture myself for no reason, so I got nothing but a high blood pressure out of this experience so far.

No controllers thrown as of now, but I already placed a pillow for that, I can feel myself getting more and more frustrated with it. Some games get me really mad, other than Super Meat Boy I got also mad at the buggy shitstain that was Kingdom Come Deliverance, and the absolute shit Souls games Dark Souls and Nioh. A few legit meltdowns were also caused by Outlast 2s ridiculously unfair no death trophy, and once I screamed at the tv while dealing with The Forests bugged out trophies that needlessly wasted many hours of my time, also there is of course Uncharted, a very frustrating series. Other than that I do not really easily lose my cool, not to that extend. I sat through most of Prototype without getting salty for example despite it being pretty unforgiving, just some games get me riled up, and the most rage over the years was definitely caused by Super Meat Boy, which is the only game I do not detest because unlike the others I mentioned, I recognize that it is a good game, its platinum just seems to be beyond my paygrade.

Edited by Nighcisama

10 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

Currently very angry with myself because of Super Meat Boy, this game frustrates me for years now and very few games get me as mad as this one. Makes me wonder why I do this shit to myself. Clawed myself through most of these insane ironman trophies, now only two left, expected the Girl Boy trophy to be pretty easy, at least easier than Zombie Boy, but as it turns out I have serious problems getting even this one. With the last missing one being at least ten times harder, and me not making any progress for several hours now, I start to think that it is hopeless and that I torture myself for no reason, so I got nothing but a high blood pressure out of this experience so far.

No controllers thrown as of now, but I already placed a pillow for that, I can feel myself getting more and more frustrated with it. Some games get me really mad, other than Super Meat Boy I got also mad at the buggy shitstain that was Kingdom Come Deliverance, and the absolute shit Souls games Dark Souls and Nioh. A few legit meltdowns were also caused by Outlast 2s ridiculously unfair no death trophy, and once I screamed at the tv while dealing with The Forests bugged out trophies that needlessly wasted many hours of my time, also there is of course Uncharted, a very frustrating series. Other than that I do not really easily lose my cool, not to that extend. I sat through most of Prototype without getting salty for example despite it being pretty unforgiving, just some games get me riled up, and the most rage over the years was definitely caused by Super Meat Boy, which is the only game I do not detest because unlike the others I mentioned, I recognize that it is a good game, its platinum just seems to be beyond my paygrade.

When you spend years completing everything, it's almost impossible to give up, and it only grows with time. Having that "I'v finished everything so far, theres no way in hell i'm giving up now" mentality will always get you over the finish line. That's what helps with my rage anyway.

You can get SMB done. 

• Like 4