Does anyone here ever get very angry when you keep losing/can’t get a trophy?

usapro2017

It's not often, but there are times when I get angry with games, I think everyone does. When it happens I will sometimes yell randomly, swear or talk shit about myself. When I feel that I am specially angry and it is lowering my chances of doing whatever it is, I take a break of a few minutes. I browse social media, drink a glass of water, take a little walk on the yard or talk with someone a little. Usually it helps me calm down and almost immediately after I tend to finish whatever it was.

Sometimes you already know the answer, but you're so frustrated that you simply cant make it work. 

Because of my lack of leaving the house I've definitely been more irritable lately. I swear and yell at the tv (not as much as my bf). And I don't like doing that. Especially now because we have the kid every other week who really doesn't like swearing so I've been trying to tone it down. I'm currently going for the no deaths trophy in Unravel and I'm only doing one level a day, but if I'm finding myself getting frustrated I immediately turn the game off because I'm finding its a lot harder for me to turn that irritation off and I end up getting mad at my bf which isn't fair to him. (Though I wish he would stop egging me on with his "have you tried not dying?" crap)

Edited by Upendo_Vitani

2 hours ago, usapro2017 said:

the weird thing is I’m usually relaxed, happy and chilled out in life and hardly ever feel angry.
The last time I felt genuine anger/sadness before my raging at Wolfenstein 2 was 6 months ago when I found out my girlfriend was cheating on me.
Even then despite being furious I still didn’t shout at her, I just simply ended the relationship.

I don’t know whether it’s the frustration of wanting this last trophy to get the Platinum  that’s making me so angry or it’s the amount of time (days) I have wasted with nothing to show for it.

At the risk of getting too real: If that's not your normal response, then maybe it's manifesting from how things ended with your ex?

Stress response, anger, sadness and depression all take a variety of shapes. 6 months ago was around or after the holidays, then we have a Pandemic and people are isolated. Not to mention all the other craziness going on. You felt the need to mention that specific incident, so maybe it is all affecting you unconsciously as you pursue the trophy?

I would recommend you find someone to talk to about it. Having an outlet is good, but if it's causing you physical and mental grief it might require some introspection.

• Like 1

Sometimes i get angry at difficult stages or when i put total concentration and effort and i get an inch of unlocking the trophy/passing the level and it doesn't happen. I smashed a control TWICE. 1.- In a fight against "Moonsoon" in Metal Gear: Rising Revengeance. It didn't help that the control was erratic and bad functioning. I smashed it and died inmediatly (had to buy another). 2.- In the "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2" just preparing before the final fight vs Satan. Another case of bad functioning with the controller and then goes at it again, another smashing and another dead control (had to buy another one too). I usually curse at the Tv screen or at myself. ¿My solution?: Change the game to another one (preferably an easier one).

I guess not really.  I don't throw or punch things.  Or rant and yell about video games.

I've gone after some annoying trophies for sure...  but if it gets too annoying, I'll take a break from that game and do something else instead.  Overall, my advice when going after something that you find really difficult is to just settle into the mindset that you're going to make a lot of attempts and it's probably not going to go well almost all of the time.  If you're not really feeling it right now, then move on to something else and come back later.  I think that's my basic approach to it.

[EDIT] To add a little more...  if something is taking longer or going worse than you expected, it does get frustrating.  And it can be hard to know how far to go with it before switching it up.  I guess it's important to figure out where your limit is.

Edited by dmland12

Occasionally I can get worked up.

I've punched a wall/the ground a handful of times.... I've cried due to rage/frustration... yelling is most frequent, though still not super common, though I liken it to when people watch sports and get really into it...

Most recently I've been mad at the challenges in Gravity Rush... Kat got called some very vulgar names at various points. Accidentally yelled so loudly at the game this evening that I woke up my husband (usually I'm more controlled when everyone else is asleep, but I was a fourth of a second away from getting the last trophy I needed). Prior to that it was Type:Rider where I kept dying in a level where I needed a no-death run for a trophy... kept dying at the same part... and then when I finally got past that part, I died in the stupidest way possible and definitely punched my wall.

I've never thrown any controllers or my Vita, though. I would have to rethink gaming if my rage ever got that bad.

• Like 1

I get frustrated, but never damage my things, or yell. It took 17 failed attempts at an LA Noire trophy last night before I finally got it. Pretty sure I beat the world record for most failed attempts to get that trophy. The God of War 3 Remastered Challenges of Olympus were a pain too.

I normally just pause X game for a few moments, take a deep breath, and complain about how stupid the trophy is to myself. Sometimes I return to the game later when I'm wiser and have more patience. Then I get back to it! Try again, and again, and.... again. My last resort is to tie my hair back and focus on the TV, as if that instantly boosts my "mad skillz" level to maximum. It doesn't. But coincidentally, it still helps! xD

A small piece of advice would be to work on reminding yourself it's only a trophy, and isn't worth breaking things like controllers over. Because break them enough times and, well, you won't be able to play at all. ?

Edited by Mayellie
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, seblegamer said:

It mainly happens to me with games like Fifa or PES online !

Those highly unfair online games where you shoot at goal 20 times for no goal ... and the opposite team shoot 5 times and wins 2-0 -__-

I am (was) the same way.  Never anger/outrage for single player trophies.  If it was just too tedious or time consuming, I would just move on or not attempt it in the first place.

But there were some multiplayer games (usually sports games) that got to me.  I played several NHL games like you described and remember throwing my controller back in the PS3 days and damaging it.  It gets made worse if you need the win for promotion and the opponent protects the lead and cheeses by ragging the puck to run out the clock.

I think playing another real person adds to the tension.  But that was a long time ago and those types of reactions are very few and far between.

Edited by djb5f

Sure, sometimes becoming really frustrated is a part of my process in becoming better at something, or learning a new thing. I don't damage stuff around me, though. 

The last time I abused a controller like that was Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2, in the early 2000s.

Edited by ScarecrowsFate

Bought Street Fighter V at launch and still cannot reach the silver league (yeah i know...?), so...frustration is my second name. 
I never broke anything or cried due to rage tho.

As djb5f said, playing another real person in a competitive match adds to the tension and can be very frustrating when you lose.

Edited by ShinigamiSensei-

Alright OP, I think you should look to this thread and try new strategies. Mein Leben is no joke, but you must be prepared for it way beforehand to even try it, as you should notice. 

By the topic of the thread, well... I just can recall what everybody else has said: frustration isn't worthy. So just keep yourself calm, research well why are you failing and correct those missteps. As far as I can remember, only few trophies for Driveclub made me mad, but after persevere and trying a lot and memorizing tracks I figure out how to beat it. Wolfenstein II will be my last game I've ever play for 100% sake, so I would take seriously the advice if I would wonder even to try it!

On 6/18/2020 at 8:14 PM, usapro2017 said:

If so do you have any methods to calm yourselves down?

My method is very easy: if you keep dying, take a break, play or just do something else, get back to it later in the day or the next day (whenever you feel prepared too and feel like giving it another shot).

When you feel like you are going to rage, stop playing the game before you actually start raging. Its not good for your health either: stress levels, hormones, heart rate, blood pressure etc. It has effect on everyone. Just think, go off the game before you have to experience negative emotions, try on another time when you are relaxed and ready (A-game!) :)

Edited by DaivRules

I dont get angry. 

Marcus Aurelius and Seneca are my dudes.

Stoic. Over here

Video games are a challenge. Challenges dont get overcome via fits of rage. 

(Side note my fave song ever (Rise by PiL) features the line "Anger is an energy" over and over. Go figure!)

Edited by punkshepherd
PiL

I rarely get angry if I can't get a trophy at a game because most of the time it's just the lack of your skill! 

I would just try on improving myself or takes a short break from the game :) No need to be smashing controllers or destroying TVs ?

I was frustated with the trophy Meticulous Collector in Shadow of the Colossus Ps3 version, i had a lot of problems with the time attack trial in hard mode especially the 3rd colossi, Gaius. I stayed an entire day to try this but i didn't get it so i had a break of 1 month and when i tried again i got it the first time.

Only if it's the games fault, and that's pretty rare.

Dunwall City Trials made me rage, it's easily the most bullshit thing I've ever witnessed and I wish I could scrub Dishonoured from my profile now. But I can't so I'll have to go back to it some day.