Does anyone here ever get very angry when you keep losing/can’t get a trophy?

usapro2017

I like to consider myself a pretty chill dude when it comes to gaming, however there's only 2 instances when I genuinely get pissed off and maybe curse/punch the controller, very rare cases :

- when playing online, the opponent is suddenly laggy as hell and goes teleporting like an asshole. That usually happens in street fighter /for honor, it REALLY ruins the mood. That usually is a sign of lagswitch and yeah it's annoying because you can lose hours of progress in one match. 

- when the computer AI cheats on easy mode because fuck you that's why. Notable mentions are again street fighter 5 who cheats on survival mode normal if you win too many times in a row, assassin creed 3 when you have chase scenes, injustice 1 in... Every arcade mode and so on. I think the only time I got truly mad on the controller and actually broke the R2 button is in Mortal Kombat when trying to do a double perfect against Shang Tsung. AI started to do unblockable/unreactable moves which felt cheap as hell. I hate to rely on luck in videogames. 

Other than that... Nah. In games where the gameplay is simply bullshit i just close and delete the game (usually platformers, because I suck massive ass at them xD ). Smashing controllers costs me money so i try my best to avoid it. 

• Like 1

It takes a lot to anger me, Last huge rage i had was in Days Gone challenges.. What still seem to be impossible for me. That was probably the Last time i yelled at myself for not being so good at games like i was in my youth. But still i rarely rage anymore. 

On 19/06/2020 at 0:14 PM, usapro2017 said:

I have attempted Mein Leben several times all week long and have failed every time.

I end up punched the floor/cabinets in my room and start shouting/swearing at the game and throw my controller across the room.

the weird thing is I’m usually relaxed, happy and chilled out in life and hardly ever feel angry.
The last time I felt genuine anger/sadness before my raging at Wolfenstein 2 was 6 months ago when I found out my girlfriend was cheating on me.
Even then despite being furious I still didn’t shout at her, I just simply ended the relationship.

I don’t know whether it’s the frustration of wanting this last trophy to get the Platinum  that’s making me so angry or it’s the amount of time (days) I have wasted with nothing to show for it.

Does anyone here rage at games/trophy hunting?
If so do you have any methods to calm yourselves down?

Yep, I swear getting the last trophies in games where you need alot of skill frustrating as,  that game sounds brutal.  I have gotten the max payne 3 plat which has a similar trophy,  which I failed 17 times before getting it.  My advice is just keep at it and surely one day you'll get it.  

If it makes you feel better,  I'm currently trying to finish track mania turbo,  which should be renamed to Every Track Takes 4 Hours. The guide on this site says 70 hours but I'm creeping up to 130 hours.  I tend to be swearing at the tv constantly, I'm sure they make games where if you haven't spent x amount of hours on a level/ track the game fails you in a cheap way.  

Edited by closertim

I've never been mad enough to damage my own property, but I definitely feel exasperated by certain chance-based trophies like getting the Q of Hearts in Okage. I actually feel like raging at bosses or bad RNG is part of the fun of trophy hunting, because of the sense of victory when you finally succeed. However, there's one trophy in particular I now use as a benchmark to describe my level of salt-- Lawn Bowls Champion in Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter. 

It's not even a rare trophy, I just suck apparently, or RNJesus was displeased with me, because I swear it took me days of trying to win against the AI opponent. My ball would always suddenly veer off target for absolutely no reason in the final round, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory as that smug bastard stood there mocking me with his inhumanly perfect machine generated score. There are no words to describe the primal fury I felt when I finally defeated him, and now when I'm struggling with a difficult part of a game I say, "Ok I'm mad but I'm not Sherlock Holmes lawn bowling mad."

While I do get frustrated when these situations happen, I never throw my controller or something like that. I can't afford to be going around breaking stuff, and plus, it's just a game. Raging will only make the situation worse.

Well, I don't think I'm too bad but my partner tells me I get very scary when I'm raging at a game/trophy :giggle: He says I get so angry and in such a bad mood when something in my game isn't working out for me, lol. But yeah, I don't break actually break anything or anything like that - usually it's just a bit of cursing and yelling, and at worst I might punch the cushion or lightly drop my controller onto the couch. I would never seriously throw something though - I value my belongings too much to go around damaging or breaking them.

I think the most mad / frustrated I've gotten over trophies were ones I perceived should be relatively obtainable yet proved mightily difficult. 

For example, even though they're tough and I got frustrated - I never got furious over the Batman: Arkham Knight DLC trophies or some tough trophies requiring wins online in the FIFA series. I know what I'm getting involved with.

Now - trying to beat Cheep Cheep in PaRappa the Rapper Remastered AND Perfect Strikes in Arcade Game Series: Galaga? Woooo buddy...

The only time I ever lashed out was actually pre trophies back on the PS2.  I ALMOST beat Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts and then died when he only had a sliver of health left.  I chucked the controller off the couch.  It didn't really break anything but when you shook it there was a rattling sound so something internally broke.  But it still works to this day so harm no fowl?  Now I'll just gently toss the controller/vita onto the couch and take a break.

I seethe in anger over my final Dead Space trophy. I suck at the game so much, you guys.

Sometimes I yell "fuck" or something equally tame when playing Apex, but I've stopped playing so...

Usually I just slam the controller (or Vita) down on my leg, but not hard enough to do damage.

I think I got a little too close to hurting my Vita during Gravity Rush, tho...

i get reacting to that finding out about cheating (unless you're really the scumbag...), but gaming? yeah maybe swear at the tv or something but just take a break.

More times than not, when i have a hard time on something, i take a break,  once i go back to it, i almost handle whatever was hard at the time, nearly flawlessly like "wtf was so hard about that?"

obvs Mein Leben is a diff beast but end of the day its just a trophy.

I get very frustrated and anxious to the point that I keep thinking about it, but not angry or anything. Like in KH3 I lost many times in the mini games before getting high scores and it would make be heart race and my hands would shake afterwards. i remember spending ages doing the melon flan mini game, verum rex and the flash tracer, festival dancer was also really annoying. KH3 had way to too many mini game related trophies and they drove me up the wall. I finally managed to do them all after much frustration, stress and anxiety. 

in FFX I just gave up on the trophies because I just couldn't win the mini games with the chocobos. I don't know what what's with Square and mini games, but they are always either very hard, boring, frustrating, rigged with rubbish controls or a wonky camera. FF9's jump rope, FF7 remakes pull ups, mushrooms in KH2... just why? I will never bother with these kinds of trophies, I'd rather move onto a new game then spend hours on stupid mini games that add nothing to the story or enjoyment of the game, if not suck the enjoyment right out. 

I usually rage very hard, cursing and swearing at some 8+ difficulty trophies or at some trophies generally considered easy by guides while as a matter of fact turn out incredibly frustrating for me (while sometimes I found easy some trophies considered hard by guides), but never broke anything because I usually throw the gamepad on the bed or couch (the PS3 one, never had the courage to throw the PS4 one lol). While in real life I'm generally a calm guy, discharging the rage at trophies probably helps me to stay calm the rest of the time, even though sometimes I think I should stop attempting some BS trophies before a vein on my brain explodes lol

PS. Of course I never attempt a very hard trophy unless I'm home alone for a few hours and can let the darkside come out, I don't think it would be a pleasant sight for my gf lol

Edited by Brightblade76

On 6/18/2020 at 8:14 PM, usapro2017 said:

I have attempted Mein Leben several times all week long and have failed every time.

I end up punched the floor/cabinets in my room and start shouting/swearing at the game and throw my controller across the room.

the weird thing is I’m usually relaxed, happy and chilled out in life and hardly ever feel angry.
The last time I felt genuine anger/sadness before my raging at Wolfenstein 2 was 6 months ago when I found out my girlfriend was cheating on me.
Even then despite being furious I still didn’t shout at her, I just simply ended the relationship.

I don’t know whether it’s the frustration of wanting this last trophy to get the Platinum  that’s making me so angry or it’s the amount of time (days) I have wasted with nothing to show for it.

Does anyone here rage at games/trophy hunting?
If so do you have any methods to calm yourselves down?

My friend you are definitely not alone in this. Hell, look up "Gamer Rage" videos on YouTube and you'll see just how bad people's rage can be. It's quite hilarious watching it to be honest. As for me... man o' man do I have a temper. I rage with the best of them. I can't count the number of controllers that went on a one-way ride into a wall or the number of holes I've had to patch over the years due to said controllers... or on rarer occasions my fists from punching a wall. I've destroyed many controllers. Patched many walls. I've had to replace a television (due to me throwing a controller at it). I've had to replace a laptop (again due to me throwing a controller at it). I've had to replace a console (because I smashed it on the ground and than chucked it out my window).

Yes, my rage is quite bad. I shouldn't be gaming, I know this. But I'm addicted to popping trophies and building upon my profile. As for a method to calm yourself unfortunately I really don't know what to say in that regard but I just wanted to pop in here and comment in your thread to let you know that you aren't alone.

I may be nervous because of work stress, fatigue and some reasons. I am playing games to relax myself a little bit more and ease my tension. As a trophy hunter, I prefer easier and more enjoyable games rather than games that will raise my tension during this period. I only broke the dualshock once in MGS3 Snake Eater. I think it was in motorcycle part for shooting kerotans that was really hard.

Finally, it's not the challenge of trophies that makes me nervous, it's the challenge of life

Nope, with one exception if a trophy is bugged I get a little annoyed. Which usually leads to force quitting the game and trying again with sometimes some/a lot of swearing.

I have seen people who could not even get the simplest of trophys and started swearing up and down, at some point looking and acting like they are possessed.

Like they started jumping on the floor and even hitting themselves breaking the controller and possibly their heads in the process.

Even though I'm pretty mild and calm as a person (or at least I'd like to believe so), even when playing games, there are times where I got angry at some trophies: usually it's when I've been trying to do the required stuff and can't seem to manage, only building up rage and anger as a result. I think that's the most common behaviour, to get angry because you're not doing something you thought you could do.

One example that comes to mind is God of War's Challenge of the Gods, the last one: those who know, know. Point is, the frustration of not being able to do the last challenge while being aware that if you stop at any point you need to do them all over again, brought me to rage levels I'm not sure I've ever been to before. Since I was home alone, I must've been shouting and cursing for hours before I actually managed to do it.

One thing though: I don't break things when I'm raging, surprisingly. Maybe because I always remember that it's not really worth breaking something precious just to calm yourself a bit (which I don't think helps much), so I just end up punching the bed or something that doesn't break easily at least.

• Like 1

There is nothing that sends me into a rage faster than Ice Cream Beat on Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. I curse, but I've never actually thrown or broken my controller or any of my electronics. I need to stop cursing, too, though. It's such a foul habit for a lady.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:44 PM, TurtlePM said:

"So many people dying with terrorism and this f*ing company is still active? What a waste of bombs."

?

Edited by Kristen Danielle
  • Like 1

When I was younger and had a lot of spare time for gaming, I never ever used to rage at games despite sometimes spending hours or days attempting something difficult. 

As I’ve got older and responsibilities and commitments have taken over, the significantly reduced amount of time I have for gaming has acted as a trigger for some major gaming rage when I can’t do something quickly. 

Im exactly the same person in both situations yet I find myself getting so frustrated now when I waste what little time I have to myself on the same thing. So much for maturity with age ?

• Like 1

the idea of playing games for me is kind of relax after such hard working day or whatever you face each day. 

Why to get angry when relaxing? 

If you fail in some games, don´t worry, nobody is perfect. 

I cannot simply pass some trophies in Call of duty WW2, I simply switch the game :-) 

I feel your pain. I'm a middle aged adult now and I tend to play shorter, easier games just so I can get on with my life and not get angry.

Growing up I was like, the master of gaming, like I knew every single Fatality, Friendship, Babality move with every character on Mortal Kombat 2 on the Genesis, and I could flawlessly complete most games on hardest on the day of release. However when I had all the time in the world to practice and be good. Back then though I would get angry at failing at every tiny thing.

Now though, If I had a hard trophy that I wanted, well I'd be angry too and would just give up so I don't play super hard games anymore, just easy or medium challenge. I haven't got the time or patience to get good at a game now, I'd rather just play everything on easy to save time in my day, I am literally the opposite of who I used to be growing up.

PS I am more angry now at lost time than difficulty, like if I died suddenly and lost an hour of my life due to not saving, even if that hour was super easy. Time is precious as an adult.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

Breaking your controller feels awesome and releases greatly your anger! Is a bit expensive, though. Thing is, I'm just half joking because that's exactly what I did with SOTC remaster on ps3, those time attacks can be really infuriating... thank god it was a cheap controller.

Anyway, if you are really stressed out just stop playing and do some other thing for some time, nothing related with videogames if possible. When you go back to the game, you should have a better understanding of things you were doing wrong with your acquired experience, while when you were angry quite probably you were focused on wrong tactics.

Besides, in the end is a battle against your pride, using your perception of fun as your armor. Sometimes it's worth the effort, sometimes isn't.

The closest I've gotten to rage quitting was failing at getting the trophy Demon Boy for 10 - 12 hours straight on Super Meat Boy back when I was rushing through the trophies in 2017. After I finally earned it I decided to take a very long hiatus from the game. I ended up spending two and a half years playing off and on, sometimes not touching the game at all for months at a time.

How I like to approach difficult games or difficult trophies is I take a little chunk at a time. I make some progress if possible, and if I get too angry I just shut off the game and do something else.

I just recently earned a trophy for completing all the challenges in OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood which was very difficult to get. Playing a game that requires twitch reflexes and natural skill can take a lot out of you, but I expected this coming in so I wasn't too hot and bothered.

What does make me angry are glitched trophies, especially if you have to start the entire game over again to get another chance.

Losing in story modes or such no. About trophies, If i already know the game is hard from the start then no. The only ones that can make me "angry" are online trophies which are also more luck based sometimes or where CPU is cheap/crazily overpowered and can see/block all your moves (Dead or Alive 5 Survival Mode on Legendary, just to cite one).

• 2 years later...