Does anyone here ever get very angry when you keep losing/can’t get a trophy?

usapro2017

I can sometimes be a real rager when it comes to venting my frustration with video games. It’s quite rare that I physically destroy things, but I do love to scream at the TV and swear like a sailor while I’m doing it. ?

The funny thing is that just like you, I am normally a very relaxed and chill person in real life. But sometimes when I’m struggling with a difficult or frustrating challenge in a video game it can cause a lot of physical tension and negative energy to build up, and raging at the TV helps seems to help me vent that energy I guess. It makes me feel better anyways.

Quite often. I'm cursing, having arguments (never won one though) and it sounds pretty bad sometimes. I never raged at a Soulsborne game, they're usually fair. But when I have to fight the camera or being stunlocked, I get increasingly furious. Also, the easier and more for kids the game is, the more it can piss me off. I guess it has something to do with expectations, as in - I expect Dark Souls to be demanding and punishing, I'm not annoyed. I play a cute little platformer that objectively isn't hard at all but I fall or, even worse, die for reasons that are out of my control, I see red in the reddest shade of it. I've never thrown a controller but I sometimes put them down with a bit more force than necessary. The older the controller, the more force applied. Not to test its limits, just... You know. We all do that, throw our old phones or whatever around but we get a new one and suddenly they're so sensitive ? there should be a study on how long it takes actually. 

Anyway. I think that at times everyone rages or at least is angry at things they like. Whether it's TV and commercials, knitting and.... Whatever could go wrong in knitting or gaming - if something does not go according to your plan or you can't do something you want in an activity that is made for your pleasure, you're angry. 

I say embrace the vulgarity and sound like a psychopath if you want, just stop at yelling.

Edited by the1andonly654
  • Like 1

Nope, I might throw out a few curse words but that's about it. If a trophy it too tough or too frustrating, I'll give it a few attempts, but then I let it go. There are too many games in my collection to obsess over one, especially since I don't have much gaming time. 

One time I got mad and tossed/flipped my controller onto the ground, not even that hard, as I didn't want to break it....but it bounced up and shattered my TV. Nothing like going out and shelling out several hundred dollars on a new TV to put things in perspective. 

Venting frustration is fine, but if you are full on raging it's time to step back and reevaluate things, IMO. 

No. My past trophy experience with trophy hunting tells me that frustration can be counter-productive to the point that it delays me getting the platinum. Venting any accrued anger safely is worthwhile yes, to be back in that proper headspace of imagination that I have the platinum.

image0.jpg

• Like 1

Not really.

In my opinion, that kind of frustration tends to be born from arrogance - from the hubristic expectation folks have that they will get the platinum in a game, that they deserve it for putting in a certain amount of time or effort, or simple simply from the egotistical assumption that they are "better at games" than everyone else.

I go into every game assuming I can't get the platinum. ?

If I do, it's a nice bonus... but if I can't... well...

...them's the breaks.

You win some and you lose some! :dunno: 

Nah, don't rage anymore. If it's not happening, I take a break and come back to it later. Usually helps to come back the next day calmer anyway. I remember having trouble with Rondo of Blood on Castlevania Requiem, so I asked a friend if I could play it at his place so we could laugh at my failure. Made it fun, ya know'?

Used to rage as a kid though. A thrown controller here and there and some angry stomping away.

Not so much trophy hunting but just gaming in general. I have rage issues and it's rare that I don't rage at a game at least once. I'm just thankful that I'm not a platinum hunter because there are a lot of games I'm missing 1 trophy for that I'd probably break something trying to get it. I get whatever trophies that aren't a pain and move on. My rage comes from annoying things like just yesterday I raged at Cold Steel 3 and slammed my controller down because a boss kept healing back up to 2/3 health when I got them low.

I have some bad rage issues. Used to be even worse when I was a kid (just ask my three smashed PS3 controllers and a TV that was shattered after taking an iPhone to the screen), but for the most part i've learned to keep it to just yelling at the TV angrily (though I do occassionally bang a controller on the chair on a rare occassion).

Most of the time when I feel myself getting absolutely furious to the point of no return I step back for a while and grab a drink (not alcohol), relax for a minute, clear my head, then get back into the game. Chocolate milk works wonders for human sanity...at least for me.

Edited by Valzentia

To keep calm I generally put the controller down gently, go and prepare dinner for my partner, write her a card and perhaps purchase a small gift, go outside and breathe some fresh air and pick a flower or two, come inside, put on some music, maybe a little Nancy Sinatra or Elton John, go and do some general chores around the house, put out the rubbish and punt the next door neighbours puppy over the back fence.

Everybody gets frustrated and everybody gets angry at things, but I'm stubborn, I will go for a while before I just turn the game off and take a break as clearly you just need to cool off and try again when you're calm again as I find that can just be the right thing, and you end up doing it either first time or after a couple of tries.

Rage is real for sure, but when the PS4 first came out that's when I smartened up as controller prices were getting higher, so I can actually say I have never thrown a PS4 or a PS5 controller. Only ever broken one controller in my life, which was a PS3 controller. Simply put, you have to respect your belongings, so I try my best not to rage out at anything.

It happens, sometimes, mostly when the game is being unfair.

I played a game a while ago which has this enemy who attacks with a giant laser beam, and the game wanted me to order my characters to protect to tank the damage. If I did I right, I survived, if I made a mistake, I would die, game over screen, 30 seconds to reload the game, 3 minutes of unskippable cutscene.

The problem was that the camera ALWAYS got stuck in some rocks (you couldn’t control it), so whatever you do, you would end watching some rocks, with the battle happening behind that, and no way to dodge the one hit ko attack. 

I was beyond mad, it was infuriating. After two hours I beat the enemy, you know how? Because somehow he got stuck in the same rocks, couldn’t attack or do anything, he just remained there trying to get out, and I killed him.

It happened too in Bloodborne, you fight a giant enemy in a very small cave, and the camera always stuck on his giant ass, which made dodging way harder than it should be. If I die because I made a mistake, it’s my fault, but let me see the fight properly!!!

Last thing that made me angry was the ending of return to monkey island, I was soooo invested in the game, having a blast, and the game threw me that shit, I felt… even betrayed, somehow. It killed the whole franchise.

Wow you guys take the raging pretty productively, respect!

When I rage against a game, I...

- smoke a pack of fags

- chug gin tonics like there's no tomorrow

- shout at my myself in the mirror till I'm red in the face

- curse the world for being the way it is and myself for being born

- chuck my controller against the wall

- take a foetal position and uncontrollably sob

- order voodoo dolls online to torture them and pretend they are the devs

- quit the game for a few years

It really helps, I am much calmer after this...

On 19.6.2020 at 2:14 AM, usapro2017 said:

1.) Does anyone here rage at games/trophy hunting?
2. )If so do you have any methods to calm yourselves down?

1.) Rarely. I get frustrated very quickly but I never ruly rage. Self-control, you know?
2.) Masturbating helps. Just make sure to wash your hands before returning to the game.

I swear my head off at times myself (like when a game is kicking my ass big time) after having a neighbour shout across the way to shut up a couple years ago ? I've kept myself in check ever since.

I only started going off that loud because I had finally tried (successfully) to stop throwing controllers... Even yanked the PS3 itself out of the plugs a few times and chucked it, I was really bad with it ? Though I was also a Kid (PS2 I remember raging quite a bit, couple of broken controllers back then as well) and a Teen (PS3/360/Wii) back then, I eventually grew out of it and just resorted to the swearing method as mentioned.

Now I'm 27 and I basically don't get pissed at all... I think the worst I've done recently is get that sort of "Really Bitch?" face on, backed out and deleted the Game/App as my big FUCK YOU to the game. It's actually the most satisfying thing actually lol point is, It's normal to Rage. You'll grow out of it... Though if you're in your late 20's/30's already and still throwing controllers then idk ?‍♂️ ?

I've gotten better as I age. I still rage out, but it's pretty much only verbal and is more productive. Back when I was a teen I definitely broke several PS2 controllers, but I haven't chucked a controller at anything harder than the couch since PS3. You get older and realize the value of money, and how dumb it is to waste $60+ breaking a controller.

I do still yell and curse at games when things aren't going well. And if you check the forums, you might find rage posts made in a topic or two when things aren't going well. The funny thing with that is, it usually helps me refocus without taking a long break from the game.

Generally I'm a pretty gregarious and funny guy, yet I would say I am very competitive with the games I play.  Not like trophy hunting against others, its like its ME vs. The GAME.  I've broken countless controllers in my day, hell maybe 5.  After getting a full "perfect" back in the day on Gran Turismo 1, I took my controller outside and ran over it with my car.  I'm talking every gold license test, unlocked every car in the game, etc.

The last time I threw my controller was probably during Pain, Eat Lead, or Payday....it was quite some time ago, yet I was livid pissed off.  I think it was Pain.

I threw my water bottle across the living room when I failed the last challenge in the Can Do Creature trophy for Tokyo Jungle.  It's where you have to do all challenges without failure in 1 game.  I did it like 2 tries after that.

While playing Rastan via emulator on my PC 20 years ago, I threw a $110 bottle of cologne and smashed it against the wall because I died several times, it was almost empty yet the room had a pleasant smell for awhile.

Ultimately I can't really say whether it's healthy or not, I think some people do need to let out the frustrations of their day, whether physically exercising, weightlifting, sex, or verbally, screaming, yelling, crying, who knows.  Ironically I rage at almost nothing else in my life; anything that is a major hassle though.

Currently raging on Cuphead, the game is shit, even if I had the platinum tomorrow, I still will say the game is shit.  It's not just hard games either, it's games most of the time with shitty programming.  Cuphead is full of it for example.