Are anyone else bothered by the grainy look of the game?

Maahniac

I came directly from Resident Evil 3, another grim zombie game, to similarly atmosphered The Last of Us Part II, and I'm immediately annoyed by the amount of film grain in the game's graphics. I tried to calibrate my tv, and look through the game's options, but I can't seem to do anything about it. It's particularly annoying in darker areas of the game. Does it bother anyone else?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Maahniac said:

I came directly from Resident Evil 3, another grim zombie game, to similarly atmosphered The Last of Us Part II, and I'm immediately annoyed by the amount of film grain in the game's graphics. I tried to calibrate my tv, and look through the game's options, but I can't seem to do anything about it. It's particularly annoying in darker areas of the game. Does it bother anyone else?

Personal preference really, I think the film grain really suits it and looks fantastic, especially in areas with a lot of foliage. Although I do agree some sections were extremely dark, a bit too much

• Like 2

Nope, fits the style of the game perfectly. It only annoyed me for the first 5 minutes then I got used to it. It’s funny that something so small can annoy some people. It’s a Beautiful game for sure.

40 minutes ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

Film grain has no place being in video games. No point having super realistic graphics if they are gonna cover it with grain. Hoping they patch it before i start.

I don’t see how film grain and realistic graphics can’t co-exist, I think it’s meant to look like an old movie or something. Actually I think the first game had it too didn’t it?

59 minutes ago, Lan Stee said:

Thank you! Folks are arguing over the story, characters, violence, reviews and so forth and nobody mentioned the most truly offensive aspect of the game- the frigging film grain! All those different visual accessibility options- which is frigging awesome even though I have no need of them- and yet they don't give you an option to turn off the film grain!

Fits the game more or less, and it’s such a small thing that it shouldn’t be too annoying.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Fits the game more or less, and it’s such a small thing that it shouldn’t be too annoying.

I'm sure it does "fit" the game, I'd just rather not have it- it's very damn noticeable on my 65 inch OLED. I don't see how it enhances the game in any way. But it's really my only complaint so far, and yes, at that it is a small one. Would be nice to have the option, though.

Edited by Lan Stee
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

I don’t see how film grain and realistic graphics can’t co-exist, I think it’s meant to look like an old movie or something. Actually I think the first game had it too didn’t it?

Sure they can co exist. They can also let the players decide and give us the option to disable it as not everyone likes there tv to look like there are millions of mosquitos flying around. The biger the tv and higher res the more noticeable the grain gets.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lan Stee said:

I'm sure it does "fit" the game, I'd just rather not have it- it's very damn noticeable on my 65 inch OLED. I don't see how it enhances the game in any way. But it's really my only complaint so far, and yes, at that it is a small one. Would be nice to have the option, though.

Just a style thing I guess.

3 hours ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

Sure they can co exist. They can also let the players decide and give us the option to disable it as not everyone likes there tv to look like there are millions of mosquitos flying around. The biger the tv and higher res the more noticeable the grain gets.

I play on 55” and I notice it but it’s no where near enough to ruin the game visually. To each their own I suppose though, the option wouldn’t hurt.

I have yet to play this game, but my 2 cents on video game film grain in general is that I haven't seen really any examples that I can recall a game having too much film grain. I find it quite an uncommon filter actually. I thoroughly enjoy film grain, and the biggest example of that is Resident Evil 5. Between the PS3 and PS4 versions of the game, I have played through the campaign at least 200 times, and playing it without the Grain filter activated actually hurts my head. Whether or not that's because I'm so used to it and anything else is jarring, I'm not sure. But even when an older movie with film grain gets rereleased and gets an IMAX Mega Ultra 69K Super Deluxe Technicolor XtraColor remaster, and they clean up the grain, it's bothersome for me. 

• Like 1

i noticed it, was bothered for about 2mins. I can adapt quick. Playing on a 65" Qled. I did calibrate the in game HDR settings though which helped a bit. 

So far i have no complaints. on Chapter 3 lol.

But coming over from Days Gone and previously struggling to enjoy DQ11, this game has NO TEXTURE POP INS or bad rendering. 

So ill take film grain and a finished, polished game, over something that even with numerous updates can still be a mess... 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Maahniac said:

what i remember from RE3 was a lot of chromatic aberration, not film grain. Maybe it's that? I know exactly what you're talking about though!

• 1 month later...