Was Anyone Else Impressed By This Game?

I get to play a bunch of games each year. Every year there are games with a lot of traction that meet expectations, overhyped games that fall flat and sleeper hits.

A Plague Tale: Innocence is one of those sleeper hits. I really enjoyed it, and I'd go so far as to say that this is my biggest surprise of 2019. Take note when I say: "biggest surprise". It's not the best game of last year in general, but definitely the one that surprised me the most, considering how low my expectations were.

More people should play this hidden gem.

• Like 1

It is in my Top 5 from last year, I bought it on both PS4 and Xbox One X. A reminder that not only can "AA" games be of exceptional quality, they are also necessary for the industry.

Edited by Lan Stee
  • Like 2

Well, I was hoping this thread would be sarcastic but guess i'm the only contrarian. I thought this game was extremely overrated. I love story driven games and I bought this at full price after watching skill up's review and consulting members of this forum for their opinions too. Sadly, I didn't think this game was anything special. The story was just fine and felt extremely rushed towards the third act just as when things started to get interesting and the gameplay while novel at the beginning is very simplistic and starts getting repetitive fast. Solid 7/10. Good game but just not great imo

• Like 1

The only thing I didn't like was how she turned into a murderer relatively quickly. It felt like she thought "Oh I killed someone, I shouldn't have a problem murdering from now on." and it must've rubbed off because since then everyone started to become a murderer. The thieves who only stole became killers and a child practicing in medicine who only wanted to help people quickly became a killer. Also I thought the animations felt floaty at times and the magic kinda felt out of place.

But other than those things I really liked it. Really pretty environments had me stop a couple of times to take it in. The solid cast, both it voices and characters, only helped it. It deserves the nomination in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 7:59 AM, BestUsername---- said:

The only thing I didn't like was how she turned into a murderer relatively quickly. It felt like she thought "Oh I killed someone, I shouldn't have a problem murdering from now on." and it must've rubbed off because since then everyone started to become a murderer. The thieves who only stole became killers and a child practicing in medicine who only wanted to help people quickly became a killer. Also I thought the animations felt floaty at times and the magic kinda felt out of place.

But other than those things I really liked it. Really pretty environments had me stop a couple of times to take it in. The solid cast, both it voices and characters, only helped it. It deserves the nomination in my opinion.

I don't recall big signs of Remorse being something common in videogames every time someone start murdering, and it's not like she went "Die, bastard, die!!!" after her first kill.

I found the transition ok, considering of course all the differences

Spoiler

I relate her: I won't run away anymore (which I loved it) with the Scarlett O'hara: I'll never be hungry again.

I think it's very important how you empathize with the characters to actually love the game. And well, I felt the connection immediately. 

The only one I'd be agree with you is Hugo, but c'mon it was cool to manipulate those rats lol

Edited by GoldenShaka
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the game but the story had so many gaps. There are a lot of unanswered questions such as:

Why wasn’t the daughter allowed to see her mother?

Why did the rats go around in circles with some bodies, not eating them?
There wasn’t a proper explanation about why the son “was the chosen one” when “its in the family’s blood”. > Why can’t anyone else control the rats or be immune or be not tasty to the rats when its in their blood?

There wasn’t enough explanation about the frescos in the mother’s laboratory to make a proper link with why all of this is happening.

It was nice but it could’ve been better. Going a bit sideways but Assassin’s Creed (the first 5 that I played) always did an excellent job with telling history. I wish it was the same in this game.

Other than that, I loved the visuals and the puzzles were nice too, not overly complicated.

• 3 months later...

Finished it a few weeks back and I absolutely loved it, it's one of my favourite games. Can't wait to see if they create a sequel.

10 minutes ago, Brightblade76 said:

I'm halfway through and must say the game really surprised me, I've bought it when on sale and stealth is far from my favorite gameplay mechanic but, despite that, the game is keeping me quite interested so far.

Good luck with your playthrough!

Just now, westersburg said:

This game was in my top 3 games of the year last year. Really underrated and impressive. 

Wish more people talked about this game, it's stunning!

• Like 1

Well this is good to hear, as i too have been surprised by some hidden gems in the past, and it truely is a great experience when you find a game that went pretty much under the radar but leaves you with a great impression.

I was not planning to play this, but the feedback from you guys made me decide to pick this up. Certainly looking forward to it now!

• Like 1

Generally, I really liked the game and was positively surprised by it. I really liked the setting and most of the story, but the end got a little... 

Spoiler

...too supernatural for my taste. Not that i dont like supernatural stories or settings at all, it just didnt fit here in my opinion. I mean, the Grand Inquisitor as rat bender? Nah, a bit too much in my opinion...

Sill, a good game and I don't regret getting it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great game until like chapter 10 or so. After that it becomes annoying simply due to the fact that you have to react super quick on various events. Who came up with the idea to put ALL abilities in one selection wheel? It is impossible to select (and craft) the right things in a matter of seconds. Without playing some parts beforehand you have no idea what to do and it gets frustrating really fast. Why are there no quick slots for the countless abilities?

This game fell into the same trap like Dead Space 3. It wants to be fast paced at one point but misses to tweak some gameplay mechanics. Before chapter 10 A Plagues Tale is a great puzzle game with a stunning atmosphere and a good story. Later on it just gets annoying and frustrating.

• 3 months later...

I enjoyed the story, characters, and overall mood of the game. The gameplay wasn't anything special, but still good. The environments and voice-acting were really impressive for a AA game too, hope there's a sequel in the works.

Kind of regret not playing it sooner, but I always thought that it'd be a steal when it's on sale.

• Like 2