10/10 (no spoilers)

Valkirye22

Can't wait to get to the end! 20hrs in, and loving it.

Still, I'm experiencing some visual glitches, mainly after I started my game on my personal Pro (pretty flawless, played about 5hrs), and moved it to my girlfriends Slim. The characters seem to do some random poses during cutscenes, and then get back to the right animation. Tried to install the game again, but no success. I own a disc copy. Someone with similar issues?

Edited by kaltezhan
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, kaltezhan said:

Can't wait to get to the end! 20hrs in, and loving it.

Still, I'm experiencing some visual glitches, mainly after I started my game on my personal Pro (pretty flawless, played about 5hrs), and moved it to my girlfriends Slim. The characters seem to do some random poses during cutscenes, and then get back to the right animation. Tried to install the game again, but no success. I own a disc copy. Someone with similar issues?

only glitch i had was one with a character jumping up and down instead of accepting the triangle command prompt for the boost up. It could also be due to the fact i didnt need to use that boost as that wasnt where i was supposed to go lol.

EDIT: I jumped off a balcony and missed a rope, and landed on the ground. After,  Ellie had a water bottle stuck floating in her ass. Had to restart checkpoint haha 

As for the story, so far im on chapter 30, i won't say where it is but the game has me hooked. I don't know how it will end but ill be aiming to finish tomorrow or Tuesday after work. 

another glitch i had was in seattle, inside of a store by a collectable, the blue box didnt fully have it's textures until 10 seconds later. I watched a video of that area being played and it happened to them as well. I use to think it had something to do with refresh rates on my tv etc. But nope.

For what I've played so far, 10/10. I haven't felt what I feel playing this,  in any game, for a long time. Its good. Real good. 

Edited by LegacyJKO09
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valkirye22 said:

So first off, mechanically - the game deserves a 10/10 score - it is excellent (not "perfect" none will even be but it is a 10/10)

No gameplay issues, visual or audio glitches, lighting, clipping etc. of any kind during my 25 hour playthrough. Controls are good, environment is incredible and every set is beautiful and worth exploring.

Some minor difficulties with partners and such but - nothing remotely major. Even my Pro is not doing its best rendition of an Airbus engine far less demanding games make it do.

As for the story (the perspective of someone who enjoyed TLOU1 and was buying TLOU2 regardless of anything) and someone that successfully avoided all the leaks and spoilers and the only saw official trailers and gameplay... I loved it.

Like the title says - no spoilers. But it is an excellent story. It is different than the first one - but excellent. By all means I believe this game is one of the few this year worth the full price even if you won't like it as much but you should experience it. And give it a play.

It's a good story - but not a happy, beautiful, rainbow-y one. The world it takes place is dark, violent, brutal and anything different wouldn't fit - or it would be a lie.

In its core I saw it as a story about a deep spiral/drive for revenge, forgiveness, and how easy it is to lose your way in it with the mounting cost. To show consequences and perspectives from all sides of the conflict. (which I really enjoyed and thought all parts were well crafted and had their place there)

I for one am glad with the direction they took, it's new, it's different, and it is gripping.

I couldnt agree with you more basically took the words out of my mouth i appreciate you posting an honest opinion here.

• Like 2

In your opinion, how does the gameplay compare to the first game? I'm hearing mixed things. Some people say it's much better, some people say it hasn't progressed at all. I know you can jump and dodge attacks now, but other than that, what was improved?

1 minute ago, Alderriz said:

In your opinion, how does the gameplay compare to the first game? I'm hearing mixed things. Some people say it's much better, some people say it hasn't progressed at all. I know you can jump and dodge attacks now, but other than that, what was improved?

The AI of the enemies (particularly the human enemies) are a lot smarter and you have to use a lot of crafted tools in order to get by if you're playing on harder difficulties. For the first game, I thought that fighting against the human enemies were a breeze. So the gameplay, in that sense, was majorly improved. Otherwise, it retains a lot of stuff from the first game: crafting things on the fly, listen mode, etc. IIRC, the state of play trailer mentions that Ellie is a lot swifter than Joel so the movement is different and whatnot.

• Like 1

Glad to see some praise in between all the "criticism".

Except one bug, where my right arm was stuck in a position and looked goofy as hell, I also havent encountered any issues. 

Playing on Survivor difficulty enhanced the experienced by a lot. I was always on a bare Minimum, never overloaded with resources and ammo. The encounters were tough, but the fluent movement and abilities to take advantage of your surrondings made the gameplay so much fun. Killing in this game is so satisfying... Sounds weird but it is.

I wont go to deep on the story. I liked it. It doesnt Top the first game, but the execution/acting etc. was Top notch.

Edited by Mori
  • Like 2

I posted some brief thoughts in the below topic but basically I agree, I think it’s a fantastic game and those who are not going to play it based on leaks and/or short videos they’ve watched are absolutely missing out. A worthy successor to the original. 

Edited by OTPYG
  • Like 2

I find it funny how people call the writing amateur but then turn around and compare it to Game of Thrones season 8. I see that comparison a lot, is GoTS8 the only thing you can compare it to? Because none of the gripes found there are here. Ellie doesnt teleport, the revenge plot isnt just dropped or quickly tied up in 5 minutes and never mentioned again, and lastly, Joel doesnt make an out of character decision (namely there wasnt a decision for him at all!). Just makes user comments comparing it to Game of Thrones look childish and amateur critiscm. Surely youve seen something more comparative? 

Just makes me think the internet want to overblow it and make Neil the next D&D.

Edited by SasquatchSaul
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Mori said:

Playing on Survivor difficulty enhanced the experienced by a lot. I was always on a bare Minimum, never overloaded with resources and ammo. The encounters were tough, but the fluent movement and abilities to take advantage of your surrondings made the gameplay so much fun. Killing in this game is so satisfying... Sounds weird but it is.

Sounds sadistic but it’s true. Every shot has impact, all your hits are felt, the way they call out to each other when a body is discovered, the sound of them choking on their blood if shot or stabbed in the neck, the aftermath of someone stepping on your trip wire or getting burned by a molotov and then there’s the dismemberment as well. Easily the most violent and satisfying gameplay I’ve experienced from any game in recent memory. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk

Agreed, avoided spoilers and thoroughly enjoyed the game. I can understand why people seek out trailers even though i dont(only trailer i watched was the first cinematic one) but what i dont understand is why people seek out leaks and spoil the games for themselves instead of waiting for the game and playing it blind. Im honestly disappointed with how much hate the game is getting.

Only part im a bit iffy on the the second half of the game. Didnt mind it at first

Spoiler

but it was dragged out far too long, and the writers failed to make me care about Abby. It wasnt bad at first, but it ended up getting dragged out for too long, the whole time i was playing as Abby I just didnt care about her. Nor did i really care all that much about the kids. I understand what the writers were trying to do, showing both sides of the story, one mans hero is another mans monster ect.. ect.. but i just didnt enjoy Abbys character. Found her very bland. She was honestly a very shitty person and they spent too much time trying to shove down our throats that Abby was a good person and we should care about her and that Ellie was a monster. It just felt very artificial. Ellie is our protagonist, it doesnt matter how many good deeds the writers show Abby doing, and how many bad deeds the writers show us Ellie doing, at the end of the day, we all will be rooting for Ellie. Abby clearly isnt a decent person. She took sick pleasure from torturing Joel. And when Ellie told her Dina was pregnant, she took perverse pleasure in killing her. The only thing stopping her was Lev. Where on the other side, Ellie found herself sick when she realized she killed a pregnant woman. Ellie felt sick after she tortured someone for information. Even at the end Ellie wasnt a monster. She very easily could have left Abby tied to that pole and tortured her. Could have even let the kid watch. Instead she cut her down and gave her a fighting chance. I found myself just trying to power through Abbys section. I get what the writers were trying to do, but it just didnt work for me. At times it honestly felt like Abbys section was added on to pad out the runtime

I wanted to just get back to Ellie asap.

Only memorable bug i encountered was when you were petting the baby goat. The thing Ellie was holding ended up glitching out of her hands and went inside her. It fixed itself when the animation was complete.

Ellie and Joels final scene had me in tears! While i did enjoy the game, it honestly made me wish they didnt turn tlou2 into a revenge story and instead focus the game on Ellies life in Jackson and patching up hers and Joels relationship. You need action? Just send Ellie on patrol! Give us a far stronger focus on the characters relationships. 

Edited by TheConfusedMan
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, SasquatchSaul said:

I find it funny how people call the writing amateur but then turn around and compare it to Game of Thrones season 8. I see that comparison a lot, is GoTS8 the only thing you can compare it to? Because none of the gripes found there are here. Ellie doesnt teleport, the revenge plot isnt just dropped or quickly tied up in 5 minutes and never mentioned again, and lastly, Joel doesnt make an out of character decision (namely there wasnt a decision for him at all!). Just makes user comments comparing it to Game of Thrones look childish and amateur critiscm. Surely youve seen something more comparative? 

Just makes me think the internet want to overblow it and make Neil the next D&D.

All the negativity around the final season of GOT and acting like the ending ruined the entire series just bewilders me. 

To me, I come to expect HBO to drop the ball when it comes to the ending of their series but thoroughly enjoy most of the trip getting to that point. There is this weird amount of absolute hate going around that some use to attempt to overshadow any and all good or positive. I don't know how certain people can enjoy anything that isn't either "perfect" or completely "right".  

• Like 3

Didn't read through all the comments even though the title says no spoilers but I'm glad there are finally people out there expressing some love for the game. Have yet to start it due to exams and it sucks that I got to wait till July 3rd to experience it but nice to see some positive comments and not just non stop vitriol. Will be back once I beat the game

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

Almost 11 hours in, hit day 2. It's early to say it, but SO FAR it is the perfect follow up to the first game.

That last scene of the first day (SPOILERS)

Reveal hidden contents

When Joel takes Ellie to the dinosaur museum / Space museum for her birthday in the past

is now my most favourite moment in the entire series. It destroyed me. So glad I got to experience that moment on father's day.

Easily one of the most magical moments I've experienced in a videogame. I had tears in my eyes throughout the whole thing.

I'm getting close to the part that was shown in the State of Play, and so far I don't have a single complaint. I'll hold off on my final verdict until I finish the game, though, as the second half seems to be where the story goes off the rails (?).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alderriz said:

Some good answers already but I'll add mine in echo of the others - it is bounds and leaps superior.

AnimationS are fluid, well-connected, the minimal HUD its just... fits. Gunplay is by far the best ND ever put together - built on experience from U4 no doubt.

Even if you for whatever reason hate or disagree with every other aspect of the game the core mechanics of movement and combat are top notch!

The details such as collecting the magazines rather than the entire weapon when grabbing ammo for a gun that you have, upgrade animations, movement, climbing, picking up several resources at once, moving around from jumping to going prone etc. Incredibly satisfying and fluid.

• Like 2