10/10 (no spoilers)

Valkirye22

I also really liked this game and think it’s a worthy follow up to the first with an equal 10/10 from me but I wish they switched the Seattle events so you saw Abby’s perspective before learning about what happens in the patrol mission so the connection “oh she’s just a regular person with flaws like Ellie and Joel and everybody else who are good people in this horrible world” happens before the equally horrific thing she and her group does... just my thoughts I think that all the events in the game are great (fav chapters are Seattle day 1 Ellie and Seattle day 2 Abby) but would’ve rather seen them rearranged however this is still one of my fav games of the year so far alongside doom and final fantasy so curious to see if ghost, cyberpunk, or anything else can compete!! Also as somebody born and raised in the Pacific Northwest this game nailed the Seattle vibes

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Grample_Gust said:

i expected nothing less from a company that has literally lead the entire industry with groundbreaking hits since Uncharted 2, naughty dog is unmatched 

Grample i see your at it again speaking the truth to people some who want to here it and others who need something they can cry about Uncharted 2 96% Uncharted 3 92% Uncharted 4 93% TLOU 95% TLOU remastered 95% TLOU 2 95% these guys truly cant be stopped.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ric said:

Hide contents
  • If you played both, can you honestly say that the emotional moments where even in the same league? Did you care at all for Jesse? Manny? Mel? Owen? As much as you did for Sarah, Tess, or Henry & Sam? I did not, I didn't care much for them or their deaths.

I won't go much into your opinion because...well...they're opinions. To me, the game was a solid 8, enjoyed the story even with some pacing issues.

But you got a strong point here: I too missed strong supporting characters. I mean, Henry's death left me in pure shock, I was not ready for that. Part II has nothing that compares.

Good game tho

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Red-River13 said:

It must be nice to be so easily impressed by these generic games.

Bruh you have platinumed nearly 400 games, im impressed at your commitment  to generic games, did this one hurt your feelings?

1 hour ago, TheLastSurvivorD said:

There’s no need to be shy, now. If an unequivocal GOTY contender is too generic for you, then drop the recommendations. :P

Looking at his recent played this guy plays Ass Creed and fuckin Fuse, then turns around and calls TLOU2 generic ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Oh, "character developing" and "pacing" the main two options that everybody use when you just don't like something and wants to sounds superior.... Sure man, this is a shitty game...

In case it wasn't clear, I was just trying to show rolltideroll57's that his statement of "all people who don't like it, don't get it" is invalid, just as my (sarcastic) reply to that about character development and pacing is obviously not valid for everyone that does like it. I'm sorry if that did not come across.

And I called it average/average+, not shitty. It's not a shitty game.

10 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Every one of your criticisms in your spoiler tag sound like you are just bitching to bitch though.

As opposed to everyone who does call it a masterpiece for "reasons"?

Spoiler

"Also she didn’t kill her at the end not to “break the cycle” so no one comes for her lol she stopped because she realized that all that killing was truly changing her and nothing would change or bring the people she loves back"

Changing her? So she killed an entire city worth of people, and somehow Abby is the straw where she finaly realises that it's changing her? Really? After the farm chapters? She likely had months, maybe years to reflect on what happened in Seattle and before. She goes out anyway, leaving her girl and kid (who she loves and still has) and then just before finishing Abby she suddenly has an epiphany and loses everthing. It should have just ended at the farm.

I'm seriously curious how this game is going to sell in the long run, and for the inevitable PS5 remaster. When the hype has died down. 

But anyway, I'm out of this discussion. My opinion apparently isn't welcome here. And I'm getting too old for shouting matches. Have fun.

Edit: Came across a good video (an hour long) going over some more details concerning the plot for the people interested. The first 15 minutes are spoiler free and it's clearly stated when the spoiler discussion begins.

I'll just leave it at that.

Edited by Ric

I really liked the gameplay/new characters etc i just hate that:

Spoiler

they killed Joel, especially right at the beginning....would it not have been better to have Dinah killed at the beginning and Ellie goes for revenge and the story would of been Joel going to find/save Ellie and eventually patch their relationship up and then if they must, then have him die saving her. ps also rip to Alice that Aquariam scene with Ellie/Alice/Owen/Mel was brutal.

I also hate that they made us play Abby the person that killed Joel who we all played/connected with in TLOU 1, basically a slap in the face to Joel fans.

I still give it 8/10 though

Edited by Angelus253

8 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I dunno, if it was easy to impress the 96/101 reviewers that universally adored it, don't you think more games would be doing so?

Then again, must be hard to come up with actual criticisms now that the game you tried so hard to convince everybody was "garbage" because it upset your precious sensibilities has released to universal acclaim and will be remembered as one of the best games of this generation.

If only Naughty Dog was as good at making games as you are at making baseless assumptions.

I can't shake the feeling that...

The game was supposed to end at the fight between Ellie and Abby on the Teather (being the epilogue the life with Dina in the farm) and all the fight with the Rattlers and ending with Abby was supposed to be a DLC...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Angelus253 said:

I really liked the gameplay/new characters etc i just hate that:

Hide contents

they killed Joel, especially right at the beginning....would it not have been better to have Dinah killed at the beginning and Ellie goes for revenge and the story would of been Joel going to find/save Ellie and eventually patch their relationship up and then if they must, then have him die saving her. ps also rip to Alice that Aquariam scene with Ellie/Alice/Owen/Mel was brutal.

I also hate that they made us play Abby the person that killed Joel who we all played/connected with in TLOU 1, basically a slap in the face to Joel fans.

I still give it 8/10 though

I think that they didn't went with that story because it was the most predictable one, especially after the trailer that they showed at E3... I won't say that it would have been bad, I just think that now people attacking the game would have said "What a shitty and predictable story, you needed 7 years to write this? Even my 5 years old brother would have predicted that!"... So they went all the other way with a really different story...

And I'm glad that they did the Alice thing like that because...

Killing her would have broken my heart, when you killed Alice you didn't even know who she was... You thought "Damn, another dog!", and then knowing her on Abbys story was hard... Even knowing Bear and surely have killed him on the Hospital attack...

2 hours ago, ClarkZuckerberg said:

I always dislike when people drop a video and say “go watch this for my thoughts”. Either tell your thoughts or don’t but that’s not how you have a discussion.

And I always dislike it if people only read the last message.

Edited by Ric
Typo

No offense to anyone but anytime I see 1/10 or 10/10 as a rating my mind tends to switch off, I think there are valid criticisms for both sides of the issue with pro-change and anti-change sides having their points to make.  I would say one of the biggest issues is the lack of player input in the story, unlike a multi-ending creation this game lacks any real player input into the overall story progression, yes there is game play but it is only serving as a gap fill between lore sections where the player to character relatability may either be reaffirmed or totally rebuffed.  If this game had more player determinism and multiple endings there wouldn't be anywhere near the backlash it is receiving, I think regardless of the pedantic name calling from both sides most players are ultimately willing to be indifferent to accepting of the new characters and would be fine with their addition if better care was taken with their introduction and establishment.  I know the prior game had a linear non-variable story line, that never meant this one couldn't have choice based endings.

The other issue is that Naughty Dog straight up lied in the prerelease marketing campaign, one could defend them saying it was an omission or misread of the situation by the players but that doesn't cover up for the fact they edited character models to imply elements they knew were missing from the story at the time the campaign began.

Anyway sorry for the paragraph just my thoughts at how this all could have been avoided.

Edited by Seabound117

42 minutes ago, Seabound117 said:

No offense to anyone but anytime I see 1/10 or 10/10 as a rating my mind tends to switch off, I think there are valid criticisms for both sides of the issue with pro-change and anti-change sides having their points to make.  I would say one of the biggest issues is the lack of player input in the story, unlike a multi-ending creation this game lacks any real player input into the overall story progression, yes there is game play but it is only serving as a gap fill between lore sections where the player to character relatability may either be reaffirmed or totally rebuffed.  If this game had more player determinism and multiple endings there wouldn't be anywhere near the backlash it is receiving, I think regardless of the pedantic name calling from both sides most players are ultimately willing to be indifferent to accepting of the new characters and would be fine with their addition if better care was taken with their introduction and establishment.  I know the prior game had a linear non-variable story line, that never meant this one couldn't have choice based endings.

The other issue is that Naughty Dog straight up lied in the prerelease marketing campaign, one could defend them saying it was an omission or misread of the situation by the players but that doesn't cover up for the fact they edited character models to imply elements they knew were missing from the story at the time the campaign began.

Anyway sorry for the paragraph just my thoughts at how this all could have been avoided.

Seems more like you turned your brain off to any praise the game is given, 10/10...9/10...whatever it is all wasted because all that matters to you is shit you read about the game instead of the entire gaming experience. 

Lack of player input? It isn't a choose-your-own adventure game. That isn't a valid complaint. you merely are looking for the game to be something it isn't. Something no ND game has ever been.

All the vague posturing about "better care" for new characters is  nice and all, but it is meaningless without any opinion on where the new character's stories fell short. I could say the characters in Ghost of Tsushima could theorhetically be correct since the writing will probably have flaws but is it constructive without being able to say exactly what the supposed issues are? Nope. It is just pointless complaining to complain. 

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 3