Reasonable review for tlou 2.

1 hour ago, HankValentine said:

Not a fanboy, not a hater. 

Loved the first and despite the leaks, wanted to give the last of 2 a chance to convince me that the ugly turn it took was justified. 

I will start by saying that all reviews I've read have failed to catch the spirit of the game overall and fail to do their readers justice when they give the game just one rating. 

Gameplay, graphics and audio were all amazing and audio and graphics wise second to none! And should be rated accordingly.

Due to this the last of us 2 ends up being the polar opposite of it's predecessor. 

For the last of us, you slogged through the clunky gameplay to admire the story. 

For the last of us 2, you'll find yourself slogging through the story to admire the game. 

The story was bad, really bad. 

Immature, lacked intelligence, poorly paced and failed to convince you to care about the new character, Abby. Which was it's biggest hook and everything only pays off if you can find yourself caring for her. 

So it's paramount that the game persuades you to care. Unfortunately, for me it didn't. 

To top that off the Abby section was 10 hours, which felt like it was 5 hours too long. 

Very boring in the second half and there's boss fight which felt very out of place, as did the 'war' section. 

If the Abby section was released as a stand alone game, It would be a middle of the tomb raider reboot. 

I appreciate the attempt the story made, in trying to portray violence for different angles. 

However it fails to convince me to care like the first game did. It just wasn't clever enough or good enough. 

If you want to experience great graphics, great audio and peek into the future in regards to gaming innovation in the single player space, absolutely play tlou 2. 

If you want a deep, clever, engrossing, well timed story that forces you to pay attention and care. 

Tlou 2 isn't it. 

It admittedly breaks new ground in the gaming space. But it's mediocre, almost amateur like when compared to what we've seen in film or read in books. 

It tries to hit the inconsequential, gritty, measured violent heights of no country for old men. But fails. All while throwing in an James Cameron Avatar esque story that's full of tropes for the Abby section. 

By the end, it had disfigured and contorted so much of what I knew from the last of us one, that I found myself not even caring about it anymore and quite frankly was just waiting for it to end.

It's not a good sequel. It fails to live up to the first one and almost ruins the first one in a game of thrones season 8 like fashion.

Given all of that it's hard to rate because the gameplay, audio, voice acting is so, so good. Truly second to none. 

Which is why we're seeing such mixed opinions. 

My rating for tlou 2 goes as follows. 

Gameplay - 10/10. Masterpiece. 

Story - 5/10. Mediocre and disappointing given the context. 

If I was forced to give it an overall rating. It would be a 9! Just because other than the story everything else is so impressive. 

But I don't think people should be giving it the one rating.

Take from this what you will. 

Why I really liked the story of the first one, truly my favorite story in a game of all time, Gameplay is why I play games so thanks for the review.  If the story fails to live up i can live with it.  the only part I would disagree on is where you said the gameplay for the 1st one was clunky.  I didn't find it that way.  i thought it was great.  especially for a older game, although i have to say I only played the remaster so maybe it was improved.  IDK. 

54 minutes ago, GoDBoss173 said:

Imo the enjoyment you have with tlou1's gameplay depends on the difficulty. On normal or lower it doesnt feel like a survival game ( way to much health, ressources and ammo), as a result it feels like a mediocre action game. It is much better on survival ( IMO the perfect difficulty).

100% agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoDBoss173 said:

Imo the enjoyment you have with tlou1's gameplay depends on the difficulty. On normal or lower it doesnt feel like a survival game ( way to much health, ressources and ammo), as a result it feels like a mediocre action game. It is much better on survival ( IMO the perfect difficulty).

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who can say that I hated the first game. The story didn't grab me, the game play didn't grab me, nothing about the game was appealing to me. That being said, I don't see how increasing the difficulty would help me enjoy the game any more. My core problem was the game play, and how rigid it was. Making enemies hyper aware and limiting the resources available would have made me quit the game entirely. As it stands, I can at least say "I finished it." 

Edited by Kirbykidx
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

However, it just falls flat when you end up brutally murdering your way through all her friends and about 100+ unrelated wolves and decide to stop at the finish line, while in the process throwing away your relationship with Dina and giving up two fingers on a pointless fight.

I realy love reading stuff like this. Do you remenber the story of the LOU1? I wil use the exact same sentence to explain TLOU1

You end up brutally murdering your way trough Fireflies and about 100+ unrelated bandids and decide to stop at the finish line, while in the process trowing away Tess her life and giving up the chance to save everybody on a personal emotion.

In the end of TLOU1 all you did was for nothing, you lost Tess, you risked your own live, almost died and killed a lot of people (innocent and not innocent ) just to say, oh wait, she gonnen die?

Well fuck this shit we are going back home, lets kill everybode in here and run like the wind. I realy do love the story of TLOU1 but if you think TLOU2 is a bad story, than TLOU1 is to.

Other than that, its not that othere characters in TLOU1 where developed with great depth... Bill, Tommy, the two Borthers, Marline,... I have never realy felt for those characters as wel.

They where well written, but not that I tought, woooow damn such an amazing side story, woooow thats crazy!! They where just there and we understand why, but nothing more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bunkerbudy said:

I personally don't feel that I have to care about Abby to enjoy the story.

But you do have to care about her when you're choking the crap out of Ellie. If you're not rooting for Abby, then why would you want to do it? This is one of the reasons I dislike Cage's games. He puts you in the shoes of a person from one side, then a person from the other side, and you can't help but disassociate with the character you're playing, because a couple of hours ago you wanted the first one to succeed. It breaks the immersion.

I mean, I understand doing this to make the player understand the other side. But going as far as fighting Ellie is a big problem with the game's direction to me. If Druckmann thought you were going to hate Ellie by that point, he was wrong. Maybe you were supposed to not want to fight her. But that doesn't make sense, either. Because Abby wants to do it.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I've gone through it 1.5 times so far and I would rate the game a 7/10.

The gameplay, graphics, music, and everything other than the story is a 10/10, but the story just falls flat.

The entire story hinges on whether you can understand where Abby is coming from and see her side of things. However, I could not. I simply wanted her and all her friends dead for killing Joel. Being forced to play as her was just torture. The most satisfaction I got was testing out her death animations.

I understand the point of the story is to make you understand that revenge doesn't change anything and it creates a loop of hatred (basically Naruto). However, it just falls flat when you end up brutally murdering your way through all her friends and about 100+ unrelated wolves and decide to stop at the finish line, while in the process throwing away your relationship with Dina and giving up two fingers on a pointless fight.

The game did not do enough to build up most of the characters. I found myself not caring at all about Dina and Jesse. We were given very little time to bond with these characters, and while the time we did get was good, it simply wasn't enough.

I must also say that the last few parts in San Barbara felt very rushed. We learned basically nothing about the slaver group and essentially mow through them. They simply came out of nowhere and were used as a way to bring Ellie to Abby.

I haven't finished the game yet, currently approaching half mark but I couldn't agree more, this isn't a shit game as most people are hating it.

Loved the scenery, ambientation, combat, new enemies, etc but the story simply doesn't work, it's full of plot holes, weak and weird motivations, some characters behaving retardedly just to fit into the narrative, etc, etc.

Oh and the ending is atrocious.

I think I'll agree with your "review" and give it a 7/10 when I'm done, where everything is 9/10 or 10/10 but the story is a 2/10 or 3/10

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I think you are mistaking the premises of the stories.

In TLoU1, yes you do start out with a set goal, get Ellie to the Fireflies in hopes they can make a vaccine (FYI if you know the science, you should understand this is not possible for fungal infections, thus the doctor, Abby's father, is a quack). Over the journey, the protagonist Joel has regained his humanity and was given a second chance at fatherhood. When given the choice between going back to the way it was before Ellie, constant regret and depression over Sarah, he made the choice to save his happiness and protect a little girl from a choice that she never made.

Edit: Just to be clear Ellie was fully unconscious when she was at the firefly base, they never explained that it would kill her. I do think she would have agreed to it tho.

In TLoU2, you are set on a quest for revenge and nothing more. Your only goal is to get revenge and it tests the fiber of Ellies humanity, but you continue to push through the game without second-guessing herself until the very last moment. She even throws away her happy ending with Dina to take a second crack on Abby. There is no point that Ellie openly explains or gives us visual evidence of a change in her goals. The story simply doesn't work for her.

Abby's character does not work for me. While I get her reasoning for wanting to kill Joel, at the end of the day, she killed someone that most of the people buying this game thought they would play with. It immediately created a hatred for her character to an almost unredeemable level. Yet, the writer tries to redeem her and it just doesn't work.

So no, I don't think tlou1 and 2 are similar when it comes to story,

I know both stories are not completely the same. But if you sumerise the TLOU2 story like this:

However, it just falls flat when you end up brutally murdering your way through all her friends and about 100+ unrelated wolves and decide to stop at the finish line, while in the process throwing away your relationship with Dina and giving up two fingers on a pointless fight.

Then you can do the exact same with the fist one, making them look alsmost the same. Thats the whole point.

There is more to TLOU2 than just plaint revenge revenge revenge IMO, just like there is a lot more in TLOU1.

I get that people might not find this as interesting as the first one, myself included. But it does not make this story super bad as wel.

Living up to the first game is very difficult and has a lot of risks. My personaly do not care Joel died. I liked Joel, but I was always expecting something like this to happen.

People are so mad about this, but on the other hand they lover GoT, a series where almost everybody keeps dying. At least in TLOU2 our main characters arent gods who cant die.

"Our luck will run out eventualty" like they said in the first game. Well it did... it hard to like Abby indeed, but I do not dislike her, which is tbh a big thing. I do not feel anger towards

the killer of one of the best gaming characters ever made. Becaus of how it played out, it does not mean I wil love Abby, I also don't think that is what ND wants.

They want to give inner conflicts, they push the player to play both sides, while not always wanting to do what you have to do, just like Ellie does stuf she did not wat to do.

I realy think this game tells a great story and more than that. But indeed it could have been better. I personaly like its not just TLOU 2.0 the same story but new adventure.

I like that they tried something different with this game, but that something personal I guess.

Advanced issues found

?
3 minutes ago, Bunkerbudy said:

I know both stories are not completely the same. But if you sumerise the TLOU2 story like this:

Then you can do the exact same with the fist one, making them look alsmost the same. Thats the whole point.

There is more to TLOU2 than just plaint revenge revenge revenge IMO, just like there is a lot more in TLOU1.

I get that people might not find this as interesting as the first one, myself included. But it does not make this story super bad as wel.

Living up to the first game is very difficult and has a lot of risks. My personaly do not care Joel died. I liked Joel, but I was always expecting something like this to happen.

People are so mad about this, but on the other hand they lover GoT, a series where almost everybody keeps dying. At least in TLOU2 our main characters arent gods who cant die.

"Our luck will run out eventualty" like they said in the first game. Well it did... it hard to like Abby indeed, but I do not dislike her, which is tbh a big thing. I do not feel anger towards

the killer of one of the best gaming characters ever made. Becaus of how it played out, it does not mean I wil love Abby, I also don't think that is what ND wants.

They want to give inner conflicts, they push the player to play both sides, while not always wanting to do what you have to do, just like Ellie does stuf she did not wat to do.

I realy think this game tells a great story and more than that. But indeed it could have been better. I personaly like its not just TLOU 2.0 the same story but new adventure.

I like that they tried something different with this game, but that something personal I guess.

I understand your point of view and do not have an issue with it, although I do not agree with it and that's fine, however, I do strongly disagree with this example you keep taking out of context.

"However, it just falls flat when you end up brutally murdering your way through all her friends and about 100+ unrelated wolves and decide to stop at the finish line, while in the process throwing away your relationship with Dina and giving up two fingers on a pointless fight."

The context of why Joel and Ellie in the first game kill people is for pure survival. They are not looking for conflict. They are trying to get from point A to point B. If they are attacked, they react. Clearly not looking for conflict and defending yourself is justified in these situations.

In the second game, this notion does not exist.

Abby goes out of her way to brutally kill Joel and looks for conflict until she gets what she wants. In turn, this sends Ellie out for revenge. Ellie is looking for conflict and wants to kill Joel's killers. All of the killings she does are a direct result of her going for revenge, but when you stop at the finish line after going so far, it just makes everything meaningless.

This plot simply does not work for me and most people. I think of other games like Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2, you ultimately hunt down your father's killer in the first game and your best friend's killer in the second. Those games would fall flat if it ended with them walking up to the killer and saying, I forgive you. Think of God of War before the PS4 one, if you went through the game and forgave Ares or Zeus. It simply undermines the whole journey.

TLoU2 is no different, nothing was accomplished/avenged, only lost.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2020 at 6:01 AM, Bunkerbudy said:

To be honest I really doubt people's opinions about the first game it they say, they did not like the gameplay.

Likewise, for people who praise the gameplay, and worse, call it a masterpiece. It doesn't conflict too much with the story, which is good, but it lacks so much mechanics/advancements that have been made in its genres (survival-horror/stealth) for at least a decade—simple things, like precise leg shots causing staggering or falling animations (first Call of Duty, Dishonored, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Dead Space, etc, has it), breakable glass (Dead Space, Dishonored, etc, has it), crawling infected (a zombie themed staple, which the game also doesn't have), whether from dismemberment (like Dead Space, Resident Evil, etc) or previous off-screen events, etc—and it has prominent fundamental issues with some of its existing systems (A.I being one notable example). 

Edited by EcoShifter
Added 'some' details anyway
  • Like 1

Havent seen the spoilers except some picture and knew just by that picture what was going to happen. No matter, I said, fuck reviews and all the sjw narrative, I ll give the game a go. 

Spoilers:

In the first hour we know what happens, I was shocked and frozed myself. After when we had the first flashback with Joel I shed a tear. Then I got to play with Abby (which was cool idea since u play as the antagonist) and was so itching to know what will happen next, the story was the main drive for me and despite good graphics and gameplay, it got  boring, so much that I stealthed most of the encouters because I wanted closure so bad and fast. Near the end, when Ellie is the boss I thought, wow, I am gonna kill Ellie now. Cool. I understood Abby and got to like her, was seeing Ellie as the antagonist now but nah, no killing. Then playing as Ellie I thought am gonna kill Abby finally and...? Nah...

So, revenge? What revenge? Ellie should have stayed with Dina or have killed Abby with Tommy. Something should have happened in the end dammit. 

So story was fucked at the end, so much of that build up and nothing at the end. 

Now we know the first trailers of tlou2, when Joel told Ellie that he wouldnt let her go alone after someone, probably against Dina's killers as some youtubers point out, that that was the original story. But then Anita Sarkozian walked in, in the Naughty Dog studios and the story took another direction to appease the social justice bullshit. 

So despite the shit ending, sj narrative ruins it also and  ofcourse:

Men = weak, wamen = strong, dont get me on Lev and all your npc being asians... 

Edited by Ptirle

14 hours ago, Bunkerbudy said:

I personally don't feel that I have to care about Abby to enjoy the story.

Like you said, in the end we will all care for Ellie, not Abby, which is exactly what we end up doing.

The game only shows you why she is like that, that she has reasons herself to do the things she does. But do we have to agree on her actions?

Nope we do not. I think people think they need to care for her to be able to enjoy the game. Just like Joel was not 100% clean at the end of TLOU.

Ellie and Abby aren't as well. I hate actions Ellie does, I hate the ones Abby does, but I understand both actions, while still routing for Ellie.

The game is al about mixed feelings, who's bad, who's not, what it right, what is not. And if you see people's reactions, there also all mixed.

Not sure to like Abby, doubting Ellies decicions etc etc... For me that is just what the game and story wants us to tell.

This is all very personal what I think about the game .

Very well said this guy loses the validity of his argument very early into.

Edited by rolldogg187
Wrong person

my experience with it was... SPOILERS review... i didnt hate the story but i didnt LOVE it.. i've never written a one hour story let alone a 25 hour one so i dont think im the person to properly critique writing but i'll try to give my opinion on it and not sound like a moron. i enjoyed the Ellie/Joel flashbacks but think they should have come early on, maybe all back to back... after an introduction to the current timeline in stead of spread out.. as far as the Abby flashbacks... think we really only needed the one to understand who she is and why she hated Joel.. not the other ones cuz lets be honest.. after spending how many hours Joel/Ellie in #1 just for Joel to be offed so early, by a group of new people we dont know... who cares about so much of their backstory and relationship drama. I get they want us to know who they are and develop them but eh.. giving us the info on why they were after Joel was enough for me... we had the 2 characters from the first one and we expected to get more with both.. I personally wasnt planning on trying to give a shit about any of the Abby group even if Owen or Mel aren't complete shit lords, I just didnt care.. was even worse that so much of it wasnt forced upon us to watch or play through.. the whole play as Abby section... waay to much... i would have been fine with short snippets of what that group was up to each day in Seattle and maybe a different take on the whole Scars fight.. cant say i really cared about the 2 kids and their family drama either... i also noticed they kinda repeated the David fight from the first one a couple times with Tommy and at the end with Ellie so that was... lazy? dunno.. wasnt a big deal in the end... as for the ending.. felt like we got Lord of the Ringsed and there were about 20 parts i thought were endings and it kept going... i dunno if it would have been better with Ellie killing Abby or on the farm where Ellie/Dina get to live as a family with Tommy and town nearby and Abby has to go on with no family or friends just little orphan kid... might have just been better with Abby getting throat stabbed by Ellie at the theater and little orphan kid just runs away cuz who cares about that character... obviously the leaks didnt help but it is what it is... i feel like there was filler content from the Abby side that could have been used for Joel and Ellie and push his death back further instead of so early... im sure im forgetting stuff but overall i enjoyed the experience just feel like things could have been executed differently... graphics, sound, music, voice acting, ambience... all in all.. i applaud all the people involved with the game and their hard work put into it.. obviously there are those that just hate it all together which is a bummer... can't always get the ending we want, ask Joel, and i like the risks it all just comes down to execution... literally lol.. either way... thousands of other games to play.. no need to get hell bent on hating it just cry a little, punch a pillow and move on

• Like 3

Coming off my playthrough I'd say this game is a solid 7/10, maybe an 8/10 if you are really into it. Best in class visuals, absolutely sensational score - the gameplay is the same as the first with some improvements, but wears thin after about halfway. The plot falls flat and the ending doesn't stick the landing.

If I had to describe the game in a single word, it would be meaningless.

SPOILERS

Having to explore Abby's relationships with her friends is meaningless because there isn't enough time to establish them as characters and you already know that Ellie slaughtered them. Having to play as Abby for the entire second half of the game is meaningless because she already achieved her objective and killed Joel, and the entire quest for Yara's arm (it might as well be a sub-quest) hardly matters because much like Jesse and a bunch of others, she just unceremoniously dies and there isn't enough time for it to leave an impact on the player. It's hard to be invested in the characters when the game just kills them off at random points and it doesn't help that none of these characters are particularly likable to begin with. 

Ellie's revenge quest is utterly pointless in the end. She abandons Dina and JJ because she is so blinded by it; it's frustrating that we spent so much time with Dina only for Ellie to decide that something so toxic as her quest for retribution is more important. When she finally catches up to Abby, she lets her go. Completely uncharacteristic of a girl who slaughtered hundreds of people to chase and kill the one that murdered the person closest to her. It's laughable that Ellie would even consider letting Abby walk away after what she put her through; having a realisation at that point that violence and revenge is bad because she recalled a memory of Joel is unbelievable and had me seriously wondering how some of the writing was even approved. By the end it feels like nothing was gained and nothing mattered and I think that's what bothers me most about the entirety of TLOU2. People were saying that it didn't need to exist and the fact that it does now proves it shouldn't.

There are aspects of the game that I really liked (e.g. the flashback sequences and the way Joel's lie to Ellie slowly started to unravel their relationship), but even those aren't enough to save the other 80% of the story that doesn't even come close to matching what made the first game so special. Don't make TLOU3; let this story end now before it gets any worse.

I went into it with an open mind to see how the story wrapped up and I'm glad I experienced it, but I didn't love it.

My 2c.

Edited by KristophDJHero
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, MilanYildirim said:

Selling point of first game was character build, it's story and narration which second game demolised all. Why would anyone be surprised about such low ratings?
I expect a good story from TLOU, if l can't find it , it's 2/10 for me. If l wanted gameplay and a boring story l'd play Doom.

For me Doom was boring as hell. Go to room A, kill x number of enemies. Go to room B, kill x number of enemies. That to me is boring. I prefer a game like last of us. Stealth, gruesome, traversing. 

A lot of people didn’t like the story but i actually enjoyed it. 

• Like 1