VTuber Megathread

Ryudi1998

@enaysoft

I approached them like I would from any other streamer.  Just like find one with a personality you'd like to watch for however long.  And like with other streamers, people donate/buy merch.  And yea, YouTube, Twitch, Cover, ect takes a cut.  And "Kiryu" is still around.  And like it varies on how secret whose behind the avatar.  Just like it varies from person to person how in character they are.  

Can't really comment on the Japanese stuff.  Like I mostly watch English VTubers.  Like I only really watch Marine and Pochi from the Japan.  And it's mostly their drawing streams.  But yea, in English it's not any different than other streamers.  

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Ilzaki said:

@enaysoft

I approached them like I would from any other streamer.  Just like find one with a personality you'd like to watch for however long.  And like with other streamers, people donate/buy merch.  And yea, YouTube, Twitch, Cover, ect takes a cut.  And "Kiryu" is still around.  And like it varies on how secret whose behind the avatar.  Just like it varies from person to person how in character they are.  

Can't really comment on the Japanese stuff.  Like I mostly watch English VTubers.  Like I only really watch Marine and Pochi from the Japan.  And it's mostly their drawing streams.  But yea, in English it's not any different than other streamers.  

You skipped over and didn't explain though, why they are worth watching and what makes them interesting. Is it the voice, or is it the avatars that are the fun part?

Edited by enaysoft

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

LET'S GOOOOOOO!!!

ZdMawJ2.png

They look even better than I imagined they would. 1f60d.png

Just watched the reveal as well. Hakos and Fauna are probably my favourite designs. We got a tanned girl as well. I'm not sure if I've seen a VTuber with darker skin before this. They're already tweeting BTW, with 20K+ followers each ?.

@enaysoft It's fine if you don't find VTubers fun or can't get into them. Not everything is fun for everybody. 

I'd say for me, the idea is very simple: VTubers are just streamers, but instead of some girl (or a guy, there are male VTubers out there too), you're watching a zombie play games, or a goddess sing anime songs, or any other character do whatever. It's just a spin on the formula for the weebs. Some sort of fantasy element. I like streamers, and I like anime, so I just kinda got into them and became addicted. They're all weebs on top of that, by following a VTuber you can expect her/him to share the same interest. With IRL streamers you need to watch them to get to know them.

Like @Ilzaki said, some of them try to stay in character as much as possible, some of them talk about their IRL stuff more freely. But none of them are playing a role per se. They don't have a script or anything, you're still watching a real person do things, the reactions are still genuine.

I know they don't look anything close to their avatars in real life, and they're not 18 year olds. Frankly, I don't care. You can google some VTubers that are not Hololive members (because those are under NDA and can't reveal anything) and find stuff about them. For example, I know that Nyanners has had a YouTube channel for like 9 years before she became a VTuber. She had been doing song covers and meme videos. I guess she must be close to 30 now. You can also just google her face, lol.

I also don't care if the character models are not perfect or glitch in some ways. This would break the immersion if it was in an anime. But it's a stream, so it doesn't really matter. At least for me.

In terms of money, can't say much because I don't subscribe or donate. But in my mind, donations are a way to reward the streamer for the content. Monthly paid subscriptions are kind of the opposite. You usually get some subscriber-exclusive streams. I guess if you subscribe, and don't get the exclusive stream for the month, you have a reason to be pissed. Not sure, but I believe Coco announced her departure beforehand. Don't know if it was a month or more/less.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

You skipped over and didn't explain though, why they are worth watching and what makes them interesting. Is it the voice, or is it the avatars that are the fun part?

The avatars are definitely fun.  But their personalities are what makes them worth watching.  Like the same reason you'd watch any other Streamer or Let's Play is what I was getting at.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Slava said:

Just watched the reveal as well. Hakos and Fauna are probably my favourite designs. We got a tanned girl as well. I'm not sure if I've seen a VTuber with darker skin before this. They're already tweeting BTW, with 20K+ followers each 1f601.png.

My two favourite designs are definitely Hakos Baelz and Nanashi Mumei. Hakos looks every bit as spunky/energetic and dare I say... CHAOTIC as I imagined. ? Nanashi reminds me of Ryza from the Atelier series which is a very good thing. ? I saw Ouro Kronii's designer has worked on the Fate franchise, and you can really tell just from looking at her. And yeah, Tsukumo Sana is definitely the most tanned girl within Hololive anyway. The only other one that comes close is Flare. I have been known to enjoy tanned girls from time to time, and she's rather *ahem* "big" where it counts, so I guess you could say I'm into her design as well. ? 

I've already followed them all on Twitter and subbed to their YouTube channels. They're all debuting at the end of this week, and I happen to have that day off work, so you can be sure that I'll watch them all live as I did for the first generation. ?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I've already followed them all on Twitter and subbed to their YouTube channels. They're all debuting at the end of this week, and I happen to have that day off work, so you can be sure that I'll watch them all live as I did for the first generation. 1f601.png

Sadly, Twitter banned two of them, each after their first tweet, so they can't have fun with other members and their Gen 1 "senpais". Calli even predicted that happening. I guess it wasn't the first time, and it's already a known problem.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slava said:

Sadly, Twitter banned two of them, each after their first tweet, so they can't have fun with other members and their Gen 1 "senpais". Calli even predicted that happening. I guess it wasn't the first time, and it's already a known problem.

Yeah, I saw a couple of them had their Twitter accounts restricted. It's because they got so many followers in such a short period of time that Twitter thought it was suspicious lol. It's unfortunate they can't have fun replying to the others like you mentioned, but it's happened with some of the other members before, and it'll be fixed soon enough. Hopefully before debut at least. ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Slava said:

Why were they banned after tweeting once? I seem to just be finding more and more questions...

46 minutes ago, Ilzaki said:

The avatars are definitely fun.  But their personalities are what makes them worth watching.  Like the same reason you'd watch any other Streamer or Let's Play is what I was getting at.

Where can I find their personalities?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, enaysoft said:

This is a genuine post that I am about to write, not an inflammatory one. 

12 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Why were they banned after tweeting once? I seem to just be finding more and more questions...

Where can I find their personalities?

Okay dude

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slava said:

Okay dude

No but literally, the clips I have seen, is snippets of the personalities just making noises or acting stupid. I was expecting to find sort of serious discussion rather than trying to be entertaining. Like if you have a famous TikTok person doing 15 second clips and going viral, how are you supposed to find the personality in that? Unless they maybe have a long form video/bio posted somewhere else, which is what I am trying to get at. Where do these characters come from, is there a Q&A etc. There seems to be nothing but "personality" from just this random behaviour.

Anyway I think I finally understand what is going on after watching this video on youtube.

Despite the clickbait title, it is actually a neutral discussion, and does go into good detail and the history.

I can certainly say though, this stuff doesn't click with me. Well not unless I want to recall memories of looking after my cousin's when they were at a young age.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

Yeah, I saw a couple of them had their Twitter accounts restricted. It's because they got so many followers in such a short period of time that Twitter thought it was suspicious lol. It's unfortunate they can't have fun replying to the others like you mentioned, but it's happened with some of the other members before, and it'll be fixed soon enough. Hopefully before debut at least. 1f61b.png

It was not lost on IRyS

• Like 3

The designs for the new girls are looking really good. ? I really like Hakos, Nanashi, and Tsukomo's the most so far I think but I'm sure I'll warm up to all of them once they debut and I see them stream more. I also like that Hakos types her posts upside down so I can't wait to see what sort of skits and things like that she cooks up ?

• Like 3

Nanashi Mumei and Ouro Kronii have been freed from Twitter jail. There's already some fun banter going on. I'm quite enjoying the rivalry forming between Ouro "The Time Warden" Kronii and Amelia "The Time Travelling Detective" Watson. ?

Zobe3RG.png

5a9FYBI.jpg

Also, I guess you could say that all of Gen 2 are... "well endowed". ? No flat justice here. Poor Gura and Ina. ?

PlRxrZs.jpg

I still stand by my favourites being Hakos Baelz and Nanashi Mumei, maybe with Nana-chan taking the lead slightly. I have a good feeling about them especially. One thing I really hope Gen 2 brings to the table is variety in the games they play. Like don't get wrong, Gen 1 have played some great games, but maybe a little too much Minecraft and Apex Legends for my tastes. ? It would be cool to see some more JRPG's, and stuff like Yakuza, Metal Gear Solid, Dark Souls, etc. Need a HoloEN girl with elite gamer skillz. ? But yes, if you couldn't tell, I can barely contain my excitement. Their debut can't come soon enough! ?

• Like 4

Top 10 anime betrayals ?. 

Yeah, they somehow made Twitter fun. VTubers are the only thing other than cute animal accounts that are saving this god forsaken platform. Bless ??.

Also, I have to say, the Hololive fan artists are amazing. The council arts are blowing my mind. The speed and the quality are insane. I want to steal my sister's drawing pad and learn digital art so I can be like them. 

• Like 3

Bad news. The debuts for HoloEN Gen 2 have been delayed "due to unforeseen circumstances".

jtwBgNx.png

It sucks because I was really looking forward to it. I hope nothing too bad happened and it was just a technical issue or something. Sana's tweet kinda suggests that's the case anyway.

D8i5jL1.png

Welp, I guess it's probably gonna be another week of hyping myself up for my new wife, Mumei. ?

rbwlI1e.jpg

• Like 4

I patiently waited for the debut streams, but was getting a little confused when the individual stream times for each new member weren't shared less then 24 hours until the event. I wasn't around for any of the previous hololive debut streams, so I wouldn't know how it's usually done. Now I know they just weren't ready. I'll keep waiting and check other streams in the meantime.

I stumbled upon a VOD of Moona's Duolingo stream where she tried learning Russian. That was pretty fun. The pronunciations and the mistakes were cute and funny. I guess now I know exactly what English speaking viewers feel when they watch Korone ?. My favourite part was the moment when she wrote "I am potatoes" ?. Don't expect anyone here to be interesting in that, but I left a link just in case.

I'm starting to notice that Hololive VTubers are pretty popular in Russia. Moona had quite a few Russian comments in chat and in the comment section. Even a Japanese Hololive member Botan attracted some Russians just by wearing an adidas-looking clothes ?. She noticed and responded to this by speaking a few words in our language. Gura has received a lot of attention from our countrymen as well, there are enough clips of her speaking Russian as well as translated clips with funny moments from her stream. With such growing popularity, maybe in a few years Hololive will open a Russian branch for slavic fans ?. Similarly, I won't be surprised if there is some Russian VTuber agency preparing to open soon.

That said, our own VTubers are not as big as Hololive/Nijisanji/Vshojo ones. There is one orc guy who is a videogame news podcaster or something like that, and he heas more than 600k subs. But the most popular virtual girl streamers have just under 100k, from what I've seen. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Slava said:

I patiently waited for the debut streams, but was getting a little confused when the individual stream times for each new member weren't shared less then 24 hours until the event. I wasn't around for any of the previous hololive debut streams, so I wouldn't know how it's usually done. Now I know they just weren't ready. I'll keep waiting and check other streams in the meantime.

The debut stream times were actually set when they released the video announcing the debut. It was in the description. I think all but Ceres Fauna had actually scheduled the streams on their channels before the delay announcement happened. You can expect the debuts to be in the same order and at the same times, just not sure what day yet. I expect that they'll either reschedule them for sometime in the week or wait until next Saturday. I'd probably bet on the latter since more people will be able to tune in on weekends. If I have to wait any longer than that, I'm not sure I'm gonna make it, bros...

cddxOgO.jpg

45 minutes ago, Slava said:

I stumbled upon a VOD of Moona's Duolingo stream where she tried learning Russian. That was pretty fun. The pronunciations and the mistakes were cute and funny. I guess now I know exactly what English speaking viewers feel when they watch Korone 1f601.png. My favourite part was the moment when she wrote "I am potatoes" 1f604.png. Don't expect anyone here to be interesting in that, but I left a link just in case.

I'm starting to notice that Hololive VTubers are pretty popular in Russia. Moona had quite a few Russian comments in chat and in the comment section. Even a Japanese Hololive member Botan attracted some Russians just by wearing an adidas-looking clothes 1f602.png. She noticed and responded to this by speaking a few words in our language. Gura has received a lot of attention from our countrymen as well, there are enough clips of her speaking Russian as well as translated clips with funny moments from her stream. With such growing popularity, maybe in a few years Hololive will open a Russian branch for slavic fans 1f601.png. Similarly, I won't be surprised if there is some Russian VTuber agency preparing to open soon.

That said, our own VTubers are not as big as Hololive/Nijisanji/Vshojo ones. There is one orc guy who is a videogame news podcaster or something like that, and he heas more than 600k subs. But the most popular virtual girl streamers have just under 100k, from what I've seen. 

Ah yes, Duolingo streams. A true classic among the Hololive members. ? A Russian one is new though, at least as far as I'm aware. It's usually Japanese for the EN members and English for the JP members. I guess Moona's a bit of a wildcard though since she's part of the ID branch. ? But yeah, it's always amusing to see the girls try and speak in our native language when they aren't fluent in it. It's oddly endearing (not to mention cute). I'm glad you got to experience that too. ?

That's pretty cool! I wasn't aware that VTubers were popular in Russia too. I remember Gura playing into the whole "cheeki-breeki" meme before. There was even a remix made of it. ?

But yeah, never say never! I'm sure Hololive would be open to creating a Russian branch if they saw an audience for it. Just consider it a stepping stone on their goal of world domination. ?

• Like 3

Visual representation of seeing that the GEN 2 debuts were delayed

b3b.gif

I was really looking forward to it too but yeah I guess there is some kind of curse that not even the great Yagoo can prevent. I really want to know what they like to play especially since now I'm on the hype train for Mumei to where I'm having unrealistic expectations about what she will play ? I get the impression she would like strategy games like Civilization and RPGs which would be a really nice change. I know it would never happen because of permissions but her playing KOTOR would be a dream come true ?

kothc.png

41 minutes ago, Slava said:

I stumbled upon a VOD of Moona's Duolingo stream where she tried learning Russian. That was pretty fun. The pronunciations and the mistakes were cute and funny. I guess now I know exactly what English speaking viewers feel when they watch Korone 1f601.png. My favourite part was the moment when she wrote "I am potatoes" 1f604.png. Don't expect anyone here to be interesting in that, but I left a link just in case.

I'm starting to notice that Hololive VTubers are pretty popular in Russia. Moona had quite a few Russian comments in chat and in the comment section. Even a Japanese Hololive member Botan attracted some Russians just by wearing an adidas-looking clothes 1f602.png. She noticed and responded to this by speaking a few words in our language. Gura has received a lot of attention from our countrymen as well, there are enough clips of her speaking Russian as well as translated clips with funny moments from her stream. With such growing popularity, maybe in a few years Hololive will open a Russian branch for slavic fans 1f601.png. Similarly, I won't be surprised if there is some Russian VTuber agency preparing to open soon.

I haven't seen the full streams of the Duolingo streams apart from some highlights, with Polka's being one of my favorites ? But it's funny you mention Russian VTubers since I have thought it would be nice to have a Russian one that speaks English too. I was thinking maybe she could have a similar design to one of the girls from Girls und Panzer ? I haven't heard of the actual Russian ones though, but I'll have to try and look at the Orc one.

• Like 3

Well i guess i'm the only one here with almost no interest in the EN 2Gen xD

I don't know it doesn't really catch me, maybe it's the fact that Space and Time as characters are kinda ridicolous i like the more simplistic one like they always were, in fact that's i guess why the Owl is the only one i hope it's a nice girl to watch like the others, i'm not a Fan of the "Rat" Girl desing, it reminds me of the First Ollie wich i don't like too (The new one is great instead). I don't like ow "Big" they made them too, i like the Big as Noel let's say, more it's kinda too much, already Coco in that sense was a lot and we have here 2 that are probably bigger, eh....

Guess we'll see how they are but i'm not waiting for them.

Glad they went back to the usual style, Irys it's a nice desing instead but i don't like at all the Style they used for her Avatar, i found her always out of place among the others this way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

The debut stream times were actually set when they released the video announcing the debut. It was in the description. 

I have no idea how I missed that ?. I remember looking at the schedule on their website a day prior to the debut and not finding anything. Also checked their channels for waiting rooms with the same result. Turns out I was looking at the wrong place the whole time ?‍♂️.

2 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I remember Gura playing into the whole "cheeki-breeki" meme before. There was even a remix made of it. 1f606.png

Bruh ?.

The Russian comments are hilarious as well: "When a tanker full of vodka sinks near Gura's home".

2 hours ago, Redgrave said:

But it's funny you mention Russian VTubers since I have thought it would be nice to have a Russian one that speaks English too. I was thinking maybe she could have a similar design to one of the girls from Girls und Panzer 1f61b.png I haven't heard of the actual Russian ones though, but I'll have to try and look at the Orc one.

Haha, that would be nice. Imagine her playing World of Tanks. Although, I'd like a potential Russian VTuber girl play something like MGS3 for the first time and react to Soviet history bits and weird stuff like jungle in Siberia ?. Well, I've still yet to check Pekora's MGS videos at least.

1 hour ago, Sora9427 said:

Irys it's a nice desing instead but i don't like at all the Style they used for her Avatar, i found her always out of place among the others this way. 

Yeah, I agree. Her eyes look kinda weird. Heterochromia aside, there's something different about them compared to her EN senpais.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 3

Hololive EN Council having crazy God powers makes me think they're just sitting up their roles in Hololive Alternative.  When it comes to streaming it'll be whatever.  On debut it's Space, Time, Chaos, Nature, and Civilization.  In two weeks they'll be chaos, chaos, chaos, chaos, and chaos.

• Like 4