VTuber Megathread

Ryudi1998

2 hours ago, Redgrave said:

I know it's well after the fact but since no one has posted them yet, Ame did a stream where she showcased her Valentines Day cards. These are my favorite ones ?

tVc6dKr.png

74NBADQ.png

k5nVdxM.png

Oh, Ame... She just couldn't resist, huh? ?

I87svDi.png

41 minutes ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

you forgot to delete a certain comment above dude, you should do that

I'm not sure what you mean? Only moderators can delete comments. If you feel like they missed one last time they swept through this thread, you're welcome to report it yourself.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I haven't watched a single full VTuber stream yet, but at this point I think I'm this close:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoWmHDuPZU4h35JNeHcIVwegeFZRMNeaQcxEmnlhRXD3eBDZ6b2JgU4AtYRTFCnmL2cjQ&usqp=CAU

I've seen many clips though. Watched a ton of clips with Korone speaking English (adorable as fuck), some clips with Gura and a couple of her songs, some Nyanners clips and one of her songs (also caught a part of her stream that got recommended to me on Twitch a couple of days ago), some Mori Calliope stuff after seeing clips with her on the Trash Taste podcast, and I've also seen one more Japanese VTuber that does very loud screaming reactions. Don't remember her name, but you probably can guess by the description alone ?.

Speaking of Trash Taste, my new favourite thing is watching Connor play games with IronMouse. With such a playful love-hate relationship as this, you don't need any rom-com anime ?. The most blessed collab I've ever seen.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sora9427 said:

Wow nobody really writes over here anymore uh.

Sooo, Anyone listened to the new Gura Song? Damn it's amazing! 

Me and @Redgrave were like the only ones posting in here regularly, so there didn't seem much point in continuing when we can just talk about that stuff in private. The VTuber board on 4Chan is very active, so I find myself using that more for general discussion these days. I wouldn't mind posting in here again though if there were more regulars.

But yes, I love her new song, even more so when I looked up what the English lyrics are. It hits hard. She did great for her first original song, not that I expected anything less of course. She's (almost) the #1 most subscribed VTuber in the world for a good reason! Her Birthday stream the other day was really sweet. She was really struggling to hold it together... I wanted to give her a head pat. ? I loved the part where Reuben Langdon, AKA Dante from the Devil May Cry™️ series wished her a Happy Birthday. ?

Also, I ended up ordering that mousepad of her with the puffy cheeks. Looking forward to getting that! ?

J5kuyXhm6FeV_800x800.jpg?v=1624234219

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

Me and @Redgrave were like the only ones posting in here regularly, so there didn't seem much point in continuing when we can just talk about that stuff in private. The VTuber board on 4Chan is very active, so I find myself using that more for general discussion these days. I wouldn't mind posting in here again though if there were more regulars.

But yes, I love her new song, even more so when I looked up what the English lyrics are. It hits hard. She did great for her first original song, not that I expected anything less of course. She's (almost) the #1 most subscribed VTuber in the world for a good reason! Her Birthday stream the other day was really sweet. She was really struggling to hold it together... I wanted to give her a head pat. 1f61b.png I loved the part where Reuben Langdon, AKA Dante from the Devil May Cry2122.png series wished her a Happy Birthday. 1f604.png

Also, I ended up ordering that mousepad of her with the puffy cheeks. Looking forward to getting that! 1f601.png

J5kuyXhm6FeV_800x800.jpg?v=1624234219

Well i mean if you wanna talk from time to time about them here i am or in private as you wanna same for me :P 

I hope you used just the Sub function to find them because they are in the Video ;) And Yeah actually great lyrics too, i did not expected such a serious song from one like gura but wow it's great. I'm not Crazy behind her, i mean i like her but i prefer all the other EN Member (Aside Ame sorry i know you love her but for me it's the last in the EN group :ninja:). Ah pretty neat that she got some Famous Birthday wishes! 

Ah yes Cheeks because of course that's the only option :awesome: 

Edited by Sora9427
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sora9427 said:

Wow nobody really writes over here anymore uh.

Sooo, Anyone listened to the new Gura Song? Damn it's amazing! 

Yeah, it was really good. I'm glad she got to do her own original song now ? I also liked how there was a Jaws theme type beat to it as I would have expected from her ?

As for the birthday videos it was great seeing Vergil and Dante's VA's come up since it was something I didn't think people would actually do but I'm glad the fans went the extra mile to have a video made for it. I love this comment someone made about the Vergil video

vergilelaborate.jpg

Guess she will have to get Motivated enough to beat him in DMC3 in order for him to elaborate further ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sora9427 said:

Well i mean if you wanna talk from time to time about them here i am or in private as you wanna same for me :P 

I hope you used just the Sub function to find them because they are in the Video ;) And Yeah actually great lyrics too, i did not expected such a serious song from one like gura but wow it's great. I'm not Crazy behind her, i mean i like her but i prefer all the other EN Member (Aside Ame sorry i know you love her but for me it's the last in the EN group :ninja:). Ah pretty neat that she got some Famous Birthday wishes! 

Ah yes Cheeks because of course that's the only option :awesome:

Sure, we could do that. I know we had a conversation going for a bit about VTubers, but it was a status update, and they aren't the best place for conversations that span days.

You know what? The built-in sub feature on YouTube completely slipped my mind for some reason lol. And no offence taken about Ame so long as you don't mind that Kiara's *my* least favourite HoloEN member. ? 

To be fair, if they went with the more traditional kind of mousepad for Gura (with the booba), there wouldn't be much wrist support... ?

On 23/6/2021 at 0:34 AM, Redgrave said:

Yeah, it was really good. I'm glad she got to do her own original song now 1f601.png I also liked how there was a Jaws theme type beat to it as I would have expected from her 1f61b.png

As for the birthday videos it was great seeing Vergil and Dante's VA's come up since it was something I didn't think people would actually do but I'm glad the fans went the extra mile to have a video made for it. I love this comment someone made about the Vergil video

vergilelaborate.jpg

Guess she will have to get Motivated enough to beat him in DMC3 in order for him to elaborate further 1f61b.png

I don't know Jaws soundtrack wise so i cna't say anything about that :P But sure is great i epxected something pretty happy from her not that serious.

Can't relaly talk about that either xD I didn't watched her birthday stream still i imagine it's pretty awesome having a VA coming and even making a video too! I doubt that still motivates her finishing the game if she doesn't care :P  

On 23/6/2021 at 2:49 AM, Undead Wolf said:

Sure, we could do that. I know we had a conversation going for a bit about VTubers, but it was a status update, and they aren't the best place for conversations that span days.

You know what? The built-in sub feature on YouTube completely slipped my mind for some reason lol. And no offence taken about Ame so long as you don't mind that Kiara's *my* least favourite HoloEN member. 1f61c.png 

To be fair, if they went with the more traditional kind of mousepad for Gura (with the booba), there wouldn't be much wrist support... 1f604.png

Yeah we had kinda like 2-3 Discussions about it but then it gets lost at leat here it's in the themed thread let's say. 

Ah really? xD I always use it on official videos since it's pretty awesome Hololive use it for "over seas" fans, it's awesome specially for the anime Video on Sunday :D 

Ah tastes are tastes it would be pretty stupid "getting angry" let's say, to you because you like her less :P You just need to embrace the bottom left :awesome: 

Well doesn't Rushia have one? So they could have made one for her too :awesome: 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

^Oh God, legacy media and VShojo. A combination of two things I absolutely hate. ? To think that Veibae was chosen to represent VTubers to the masses... ? 

I will admit that this appearing on some boomer news channel is an amusing thought though. ?

0vUKNRR.png

Even after graduation, Kiryu Coco is still winning. ?

• Like 3

Yeah, it was weird thing to see. Because, for one, the news story was built around YouTube. They only mentioned YouTube as a platform and had Hololive girls in the revenue chart at the end, while the interview part was about VShojo streamers who stream on Twitch ?. I guess Vei and Apricot were the first two UK based VTubers they found. I don't know.

Meanwhile, as a guy who became addicted to VTubers recently, I've got stuff to catch up to. I won't be watching months worth of streams, but at least I could dabble into some particular VODs with games that interest me the most, some clips, and definitely the original music. 

Speaking of which, I've listened to Calli's first EP "DEAD BEATS". It was great. Very cool that she wrote all lyrics herself, and even co-produced one of the tracks. “Excuse My Rudeness, But Could You Please RIP?” was probably my favourite track on the EP. The composition at the end didn't fell right for me, but the hook was just too strong and catchy. Calli is certainly a talented performer, she sings well and raps really fast. Also, I've noticed some flows that reminded me of Eminem. I' haven't watched a lot of Calli's streams yet, except for some parts here and there. But based on her Eminem covers, I assume she's a fan ?. I'll check her second EP soon.

I've also listened to Gura's song "REFLECT". Man, it's just perfect. I can't understand the japanese lyrics, but the song sounds so good. I can even imagine it being a part of some anime/game soundtrack. 

On the VShojo side of things, I had to share this clip. Nyanners sang this old trashy (but also kinda fire) rap song "Shawty Wanna Fuck". The first time I heard this cover, it had me fucking dead ?. Not many things had been able to make me smile this year, and I'm legit glad I discovered VTubers because they never fail to do so. 

Edited by Slava
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Slava said:

Yeah, it was weird thing to see. Because, for one, the news story was built around YouTube. They only mentioned YouTube as a platform and had Hololive girls in the revenue chart at the end, while the interview part was about VShojo streamers who stream on Twitch 1f604.png. I guess Vei and Apricot were the first two UK based VTubers they found. I don't know.

They should have interviewed the best Bri'ish VTuber out there instead, miss Amelia Watson. :awesome:

Ek5MJDsXIAAJrZK.jpg

(Okay, she's not *really* British, but still :P)

3 hours ago, Slava said:

Meanwhile, as a guy who became addicted to VTubers recently, I've got stuff to catch up to. I won't be watching months worth of streams, but at least I could dabble into some particular VODs with games that interest me the most, some clips, and definitely the original music. 

Speaking of which, I've listened to Calli's first EP "DEAD BEATS". It was great. Very cool that she wrote all lyrics herself, and even co-produced one of the tracks. “Excuse My Rudeness, But Could You Please RIP?” was probably my favourite track on the EP. The composition at the end didn't fell right for me, but the hook was just too strong and catchy. Calli is certainly a talented performer, she sings well and raps really fast. Also, I've noticed some flows that reminded me of Eminem. I' haven't watched a lot of Calli's streams yet, except for some parts here and there. But based on her Eminem covers, I assume she's a fan 1f601.png. I'll check her second EP soon.

I've also listened to Gura's song "REFLECT". Man, it's just perfect. I can't understand the japanese lyrics, but the song sounds so good. I can even imagine it being a part of some anime/game soundtrack. 

I'm glad to hear that you've taken the plunge into VTuber fandom. And yeah, even someone who's been keeping up with some of the HoloEN girls since day one, it's pretty much impossible to watch everything and still maintain a life outside of VTubers. ? If I miss a particular stream that I was interested in watching and it's hours long, I usually change the playback speed of the VOD to anything up to 1.25x speed. It makes things a bit more manageable. But yeah, in your situation where you literally have months worth of VODs you missed out on, that's not really practical. ? I'd like to recommend you some clips and indoctrinate peak your interest in the Hololive girls, but I'm not sure what kind of games you're into. Your PSN profile doesn't give me much to go on, so I guess I'll just list some of the game's they've played, and maybe you can find some highlight clips if you like the sound of any of them.

Amelia Watson: LA Noire, Outer Wilds, Super Mario 64/Galaxy/Odyssey, Donkey Kong Country, Half Life: Alyx, Oblivion

Gawr Gura: Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 3/5, Luigi's Mansion 3, Dead by Daylight, Crazy Taxi, and a ton of rhythm games

Ninomae Ina'nis: Resident Evil 7, SOMA, Bayonetta, NieR: Automata, Hollow Knight, Monster Hunter: Rise, Call of Cthulu, Half Life 2

I'll just list the trinity since it seems you're already familiar with Calli somewhat and she doesn't play too many games anyway. ? She makes up for it with her music though as you've found out yourself. I'm glad you liked Gura's original song too! ? The JP girls have made some really great songs too. I'll link a few of my favourites.

Oh, and this one isn't like the others, but I figured I'd link it anyway because it does a good job of introducing you to all the Hololive members, haha. ?

4 hours ago, Slava said:

On the VShojo side of things, I had to share this clip. Nyanners sang this old trashy (but also kinda fire) rap song "Shawty Wanna Fuck". The first time I heard this cover, it had me fucking dead 1f602.png. Not many things had been able to make me smile this year, and I'm legit glad I discovered VTubers because they never fail to do so. 

RJKBGty.png

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. ?

• Like 4

@Undead Wolf Wow, thanks. That's a helpful summary. I'll admit, I don't know anything about Ninomae. I just recognize the face from YouTube thumbnails ?. I guess I'll start with debut streams for each, then pick some of these games. 

Thanks for the songs suggestions as well. Don't know if I'd ever come across these JP songs by myself. I'll listen to them after the second Calli EP.

28 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

RJKBGty.png

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. 1f61c.png

LMAO. 

Seriously though, I think she's funny. And she has sung a Russian song, and actually did a good job, so she gets a few personal points from me. Not sure if I'd call her my favourite VTuber yet though. I've got to "educate" myself a little more ?.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Slava said:

Since you like MGS, I will go ahead and recommend Pekora's MGS videos since someone is going through the effort of translating them. They have already done MGS3 and MGS1 with them saying they intend to do all the MGS games she played. I consider her one of my favorites since she likes MGS along with Yakuza and she makes me laugh seeing her reactions to stuff in general even if I don't understand what she's saying. She also sings the Dragon Quest theme song whenever she gets the chance. ?

I'll also recommend one other that's not affiliated with Hololive (although she did collab with Ninomae) but she speaks English pretty well. Her name is Pikamee and she's pretty energetic and upbeat even when playing horror games or if she's facing hard bosses. As far as games she has played she's played Dark Souls 1 and 3, GTA V, Bully, Resident Evil 1, 2 (Remake), 4, 6 (at least one campaign so far), RE7, RE8, Cuphead, and The Last of Us to name a few ?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

Since you like MGS, I will go ahead and recommend Pekora's MGS videos since someone is going through the effort of translating them. They have already done MGS3 and MGS1 with them saying they intend to do all the MGS games she played. I consider her one of my favorites since she likes MGS along with Yakuza and she makes me laugh seeing her reactions to stuff in general even if I don't understand what she's saying. She also sings the Dragon Quest theme song whenever she gets the chance. 1f61b.png

Oh nice! I'll have to check out at least one of those MGS playthroughs then. It's starting to make sense why I've seen her name in my Twitter timeline.

20 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

I'll also recommend one other that's not affiliated with Hololive (although she did collab with Ninomae) but she speaks English pretty well. Her name is Pikamee and she's pretty energetic and upbeat even when playing horror games or if she's facing hard bosses. As far as games she has played she's played Dark Souls 1 and 3, GTA V, Bully, Resident Evil 1, 2 (Remake), 4, 6 (at least one campaign so far), RE7, RE8, Cuphead, and The Last of Us to name a few 1f61b.png

I've seen Pikamee in this clip where she played some co-op puzzle platformer game with Ironmouse. That was a hilarious moment. When she laughed she sounded like a kettle ?.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Slava said:

Oh nice! I'll have to check out at least one of those MGS playthroughs then. It's starting to make sense why I've seen her name in my Twitter timeline.

I've seen Pikamee in this clip where she played some co-op puzzle platformer game with Ironmouse. That was a hilarious moment. When she laughed she sounded like a kettle 1f601.png.

Yeah, she's pretty popular since she likes to prank the other girls and often gets herself in funny situations in a lot of the games she plays ?

Yeah, the fanbase jokes that she sounds like a teakettle when she laughs funny enough ? She also jokes about being family friendly but if she gets scared or mad enough she will start cussing like she did in Mario 64. ?

• Like 2

Hololive EN posted a new teaser today. Looks like the 5 silhouettes at the end are EN Gen 2 girls. From the video, I assume they will represent order and chaos, civilization, nature, time, and space. Sounds interesting. Anyone excited? 

I listened to the second Mori Calliope EP. It was good, but I didn't like it as much as DEAD BEATS. I'll listen to it a couple more times. Maybe a song or two will make its way into my playlist in the end. Also, during Calli's karaoke stream with Milky Queen yesterday, I learned about unarchived streams. My FOMO showed up and said hello. This is probably something I will want to prioritize in the future, because I won't be able to watch the VODs afterwards. Unless someone records this stuff ?. Anyway, that karaoke collab stream was cool. Didn't expect them to sing Welcome To The Black Parade ?.

One last thing: what do you guys think of Kureiji Ollie? She's from Hololive ID. She's a zombie girl who speaks 3 languages and likes Apex Legends a little too much. I saw her during Tournament Arc 2 where she played chess against other streamers including Connor aka CDawgVA. She wasn't the best player there, but she had the most adorable and funny moments. I wasn't a fan of her character model at first because of the diffrent eyes and the scar across the face, but it grew on me really quickly. I hope an Apex collab with Connor happens one day. They've been talking about that possibility quite a few times. I'd really want to see them to play together, they'd make a great team.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Slava said:

Hololive EN posted a new teaser today. Looks like the 5 silhouettes at the end are EN Gen 2 girls. From the video, I assume they will represent order and chaos, civilization, nature, time, and space. Sounds interesting. Anyone excited? 

Of course! ? My early favourite is the girl in the middle just because she looks like she'd be spunky/energetic. She has the cutest design just based on the silhouettes. It's also worth noting that the first two girls appear to be barefoot... ? You know, if you're into that. ?

Yxo5cHV.png

If I had to put them in order of the designs I'm most fond of (from best to worst), it would probably be 3 > 1 > 5 > 2 > 4. Again though, this is early days. I look forward to seeing their designs in full, and of course we won't truly know who best girl is until they start streaming and we know what their personality is like. ?

8 hours ago, Slava said:

I listened to the second Mori Calliope EP. It was good, but I didn't like it as much as DEAD BEATS. I'll listen to it a couple more times. Maybe a song or two will make its way into my playlist in the end. Also, during Calli's karaoke stream with Milky Queen yesterday, I learned about unarchived streams. My FOMO showed up and said hello. This is probably something I will want to prioritize in the future, because I won't be able to watch the VODs afterwards. Unless someone records this stuff 1f914.png. Anyway, that karaoke collab stream was cool. Didn't expect them to sing Welcome To The Black Parade 1f604.png.

Yeah, most of the karaoke streams end up being unarchived because they play copyrighted songs, and obviously that's a big no-no on YouTube unless they get permission. There are some channels that reupload the unarchived streams in full, but it's not guaranteed that the videos will stay up indefinitely, so it's definitely worth watching them live if you can. I'm fond of when Ame sings 'Kiss Me' in her karaoke streams. There's even a compilation because of how many times she's done it. ?

9 hours ago, Slava said:

One last thing: what do you guys think of Kureiji Ollie? She's from Hololive ID. She's a zombie girl who speaks 3 languages and likes Apex Legends a little too much. I saw her during Tournament Arc 2 where she played chess against other streamers including Connor aka CDawgVA. She wasn't the best player there, but she had the most adorable and funny moments. I wasn't a fan of her character model at first because of the diffrent eyes and the scar across the face, but it grew on me really quickly. I hope an Apex collab with Connor happens one day. They've been talking about that possibility quite a few times. I'd really want to see them to play together, they'd make a great team.

I'm not the biggest fan of Apex Legends, so I've only really watched Ollie when she's appeared in collabs with the EN members, but she's pretty nice from what I can tell. You definitely have to lower your volume at points though because she's got quite the pair of lungs on her. ? When I think of Ollie, this is the first clip that comes to mind. ?

Oh, and not really related, but you should check out this brilliant video. It has cameo appearances from lots of different Hololive members and it's hilarious. ?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Slava said:

I listened to the second Mori Calliope EP. It was good, but I didn't like it as much as DEAD BEATS. I'll listen to it a couple more times. Maybe a song or two will make its way into my playlist in the end. Also, during Calli's karaoke stream with Milky Queen yesterday, I learned about unarchived streams. My FOMO showed up and said hello. This is probably something I will want to prioritize in the future, because I won't be able to watch the VODs afterwards. Unless someone records this stuff 1f914.png. Anyway, that karaoke collab stream was cool. Didn't expect them to sing Welcome To The Black Parade 1f604.png.

Yeah, that seems to be the theme so far but I really like the whole lore video that goes along with it. It's animated really well and makes it seem like there's a pretty deep Elder Scrolls-like lore to it ? But going from the silhouettes in @Undead Wolf's picture I like the middle one, the far left and far right ones so far. I'm sure they will all be good but those designs stick out to me the most so far. 

It's hard for me to keep up with Calli's streams because she often streams at inconvenient times for me so I wound up missing the karaoke stream unfortunately. But yeah, unless stated otherwise most karaoke stuff gets unarchived but I know I have seen at least one channel reupload a couple of Amelia's karaoke streams so I imagine they or someone else is doing it for Calli and so forth too.

I've seen Ollie in collabs and I know I watched her stream a couple other games but yeah I don't really watch the Apex stuff since I don't play the game and so I haven't kept up with her too much. I do like her though, even if she does scream really loud ? I just haven't kept up with her since she doesn't normally stream things I would want to watch. I do remember seeing some of the chess stream though.

By the way if you want another one to watch there's a new-ish one from another group called PRISM Project named Shiki Miyoshino that grew on me pretty quickly. I think she's still getting permissions to play games so she hasn't played very much yet but her personality and the skits she does had her grow on me. It probably helps she's kind of tomboyish and does these kind of skits ?

You also wouldn't think it from just hearing her talk but she has a pretty good voice range. When I watched her play Mad Father I wasn't looking at the screen at one part and while she was doing voices for the characters I really thought it was the game. She's also done a couple of songs too and she sang some of Mad World at one point during a collab. ? But yeah, if you want a new one to watch I figured I would recommend her that way you don't have to worry about having to see a big backlog of VODs to keep up with her. ☺️

• Like 3

How've I missed this thread.  I've only been in the rabbit hole a few months.  I saw some Pikamee on Twitter and that lead to seeing her on YouTube and then more and more VTubers came through.  I mostly watch Ina, Ame, Reine, Iofi, and Marine from Hololive.  Been watching more of Elira than anyone else lately.  Might have to check out Selen.  As you can probably guess I like artist.  Watched some Pochi streams too.

Watched some VShojo too.  Love Mousey and Mel and Zen.  Figured I should share this clip.  Spoilered cause, even for VShojo, this is something else.

Spoiler

• Like 4

So much stuff is happening. The waiting room for the next Hololive EN video is up. I wonder if it's another lore video or the final reveal. ?

The new costumes for Hololive ID girls have been revealed. Ollie's outfit is super cool:

E861snmVIAISe_5.jpg

18 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

My early favourite is the girl in the middle just because she looks like she'd be spunky/energetic. She has the cutest design just based on the silhouettes.

Haha, right ?. She does exude some chaotic energy from the silhouette alone, doesn't she? Maybe she's the one who represents chaos and order. The girl on the left is nature, the one next to her must be civilization, the one on the right is space, and the one next to her is time. BTW, these clock hand are BIG.

18 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'm not the biggest fan of Apex Legends, so I've only really watched Ollie when she's appeared in collabs with the EN members, but she's pretty nice from what I can tell. You definitely have to lower your volume at points though because she's got quite the pair of lungs on her. 1f605.png When I think of Ollie, this is the first clip that comes to mind1f61b.png

Oh, and not really related, but you should check out this brilliant video. It has cameo appearances from lots of different Hololive members and it's hilarious. 1f606.png

Yeah, her voice is strong indeed ?. That clip summarizes everything I love about VTubers: cute, funny, weird, a little lewd, has great collab chemistry, and all of that on top of playing a game. The bus video is so weird, lol. Why was Ollie so low-poli compared to everyone else? ?

17 hours ago, Redgrave said:

It's hard for me to keep up with Calli's streams because she often streams at inconvenient times for me so I wound up missing the karaoke stream unfortunately. 

Yeah, as far as I know, she streams from Japan, so her streams are too early (or too late) for american viewers. As for me, a guy living in the GMT+3 zone, the karaoke stream time was perfect. I got unlucky with VTubers like Ironmouse though. She always starts around 3 AM my time ?. I was able to catch a lot of her collab streams with Connor back in May when I was getting up in the middle of the night.

17 hours ago, Redgrave said:

By the way if you want another one to watch there's a new-ish one from another group called PRISM Project named Shiki Miyoshino that grew on me pretty quickly. I think she's still getting permissions to play games so she hasn't played very much yet but her personality and the skits she does had her grow on me. It probably helps she's kind of tomboyish and does these kind of skits 1f61b.png

You also wouldn't think it from just hearing her talk but she has a pretty good voice range. When I watched her play Mad Father I wasn't looking at the screen at one part and while she was doing voices for the characters I really thought it was the game. She's also done a couple of songs too and she sang some of Mad World at one point during a collab. 1f61b.png But yeah, if you want a new one to watch I figured I would recommend her that way you don't have to worry about having to see a big backlog of VODs to keep up with her. 263a.png

Thanks for the recommendation ?. She looks cute, and she sings really well. But I will probably stick with the 4-5 streamers I already started following and watch clips from the other ones. I keep adding stuff from this thread to my "Watch Later" YouTube playlist.

9 hours ago, Ilzaki said:

Watched some VShojo too.  Love Mousey and Mel and Zen.  Figured I should share this clip.  Spoilered cause, even for VShojo, this is something else.

Haha, their content is definitely spicier. Mouse has done two streams where she was doing nothing but discussing hentai tags with other girls. They were so funny, I was dying ?. Maybe Trash Taste boys set a bad example with their "Cultured Tierlist" videos, lol.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 4

This is a genuine post that I am about to write, not an inflammatory one. I keep seeing this topic come up every now and again.

So, I finally want to understand what is going on, there seems to be many fans in this thread, as a n00b so to speak, can you all please tell me what it is you find fun about this.

A little bit about me. In Japan, I remember in 2008 waking up each morning bright and early on Saturday and Sunday to watch all of the anime that was on from about 6 till 10 each of those days, equipped with my study books and Rakubiki Jiten Dictionary on my Nintendo DS.
This was before things like google translate, and youtube. There wasn't really a whole lot of stuff to easily watch back in the day. These vtubers style look Precure, which is like an 10th gen iteration of Sailor Mon. Anyway, so next year, I will have been living in Japan for nearly 15 years and I since I have to use Japanese every day, so one might say, out of nowhere I have attained a sort of fluency in Japanese so to speak.

I've seen and got to grips with a lot of weird Japanese culture and phenomena in my time, but this stuff has me stumped. In the case of things like Dead Or Alive and Senran Kagura it's all about titillation. Where do these characters come from? Are they a back story from a game, an anime.
Compared to the precure stuff I mentioned earlier, that is a children's cartoon usually aimed at girls 7 or under, this content seems no different, but at least the Precure stuff had coherent plots and stories.

This just seems like random skits, with grown adults pretending to be pre-pubescent girls. The holo renders don't seem that good either. They are a sort of Live2D effect, in this case where it's a 3D Puppet, you'll notice that the arms and legs are mostly just staight, literally like a doll.
As if someone is moving this body around to the camera and back by hand holding around the torso. So the movement is often so better than say Sesame Street puppets.

I watched about a minute of one person doing a let's play, playing what looks like a variant of Doom.

Clearly this person is really good at Doom but is trying to act all surprised and cute at everything that is going on.
Maybe it's just because I understand Japanese, and in reality nobody really talks or acts, or even looks like this, and it gets quite annoying pretty fast. Actual Japanese children are particularly quiet and usually quite reserved. Maybe there's a buzz for users learning Japanese, and hearing hearing bits of simple Japanese words that they recognise.

Alongside purposely weird English to sound cute. I dunno, I keep excepting something interesting to happen, but there just isn't anything.
I mean it's not a real person and the "action" is scripted so I get bored quite quickly because it's just the same pattern, trying to look really surprised and inept at everything and making a reaction, speaking purposely really fast is the other technique.

So I saw that this "Kiryu Koko" is/was the most popular. Whenever I see that name I always think of Kiryu Kazama because the Kiryu Kanji is the same.
Anyway, I see that this "person" has now "retired" a few months ago? In some of those live streams, people are donating money. To whom?
Is it known that the actor behind the character is taking the money. If that person really is earning millions a year, who wouldn't retire after making all that money?
I know I would, you're made up for life, and unlike a real celebrity where everyone knows your face for the rest of your life, you walk away rich, it's perfect.

Are people ok paying money to this avatar, and then next day finding out that "they" had retired. To me it looks like a scam, is nobody angry about this? Nobody seems to be, which makes it seem even more weird.

The last koko video also has about 6 million views. How or why is it so popular? I honestly don't get it. I keep skipping forward 10-20 seconds out of the 3 hours or so these videos sometimes are.

I genuinely want to understand what all the fuss is about, I feel like I'm Randy Marsh in that episode on South Park.

So guys, please enlighten me and tell what I am missing. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong place with all this stuff.

• Like 2