Kill Your Completion 13

1 minute ago, PerryToxteth said:

Great review! If this plays anything like old AC (the Ezio era), I'm all in.  I just wrapped up Origins and I feel the series is shunning the stealth aspect. Hell, Valhalla looks straight-up Hack 'N' Slash. Nothing too stealthy about Vikings raiding, raping and pillaging. 

What are your guesses on time played to platinum this? I'm hoping it's on the longer end with tons of stuff to do. Is it like AC where you do story missions when you feel like it, but can also spend hours just cleaning up stuff on the map?

The game is designed so that once Jin becomes open to the idea of stealth, a few flashback cutscenes help you understand why he is reluctant, you can play it going for straight stealth, straight samurai or a combination of both though some "tales" and side missions have a duel at the end which are straight mano a mano with an armored boss/mini-boss with a health bar.  You can hack'n'slash/dodge but you really don't make much progress on their health bar without staggering them (if you do, your attacks do a lot more damage).  I liberated a walled village by a lot of stealth combined with samurai on groups if I got spotted killing rather than fleeing to reorganize myself.  I will say that in black and white, occasionally you can miss someone when fighting a group in the forest, the odd archer just blending in so that I think I've taken out the whole group until an arrow hits me.  Still, I haven't died from that yet though I've died a few times trying to get the timing for perfect parries down ? .  Still haven't quite got the timing down yet.  And there's something immensely enjoyable about riding your horse hard into a group of foes, leaping off it up into the air and coming down to skewer somebody just before you land.

I've read the plat can be 40-60 hours but I expect I'll probably end up taking longer as I tend to wander around a lot exploring.  From what I've read there is nothing that is outright missable, though a couple of combat related trophies could obviously be missed if you don't kill people the right way (knocking off a cliff, perfect parries).  Everything is supposed to still be accessible even after completing the main storyline so you could just hammer through that and then track down the rest after, I guess, but that's not my style.  I like to explore an area as fully as I can before moving too far along so I'm doing a lot of side stuff now and finding places and extra tales to do.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I played a Sherlock Holmes games years ago. Best to not get your hopes up, because there nowhere near the quality of LA Noire. If you're looking for a good sleuth game, try The Invisible Hours.  There's no action like Noire, and it's heavy on dialogue, though it is "relevant" information, unlike the game you reviewed above. :P

Hours had one of the better mysteries I have found in a game. 

I managed to put a few hours into sherlock holmes and it's definetely not even close to L.A noire, but so far it's not terrible, just meh 

The Invisible Hours looks pretty interesting,  i'll check it out anytime soon, and it's developed by Tequila works who did Deadlight, Rime and Sexy Brutale, amazing games that not many people know about

• Like 2

Game #5 - Mark of the Ninja Remastered - Preview

L21efe2.png

Developer: Kiel Entertainment

Publisher: Kiel Entertainmentt

Genre: Side-scrolling action game

Price: 19,99€

This is the game I know least things about and at the same time am looking forward to the most.

I only know that it's a side-scroller with stealth and platforming elements. I don't even know what I could compare this to, as I haven't played many side-scrollers in recent years, that weren't either metroidvania or action-platformers and this game seems to be neither of those.

Guess I'll know more tonight.

• Like 4