Starting Advice

Burstawesome

So I just recently started playing Demon's Souls and I just beat the Phalanx, and am heading to Tower Knight. I chose Knight at the beginning and I am fat rolling a lot, at first I thought it was lag but that's just how heavy I am. Would the best way to continue be grinding for upgrades and higher stats and lighter gear or just fight the tower knight straight up until I defeat him? Is this going to happen a lot where there is a lot of grinding before bosses? I was just overwhelmed about all the locations unlocking, so I'm just confused on what route to take. 

Edited by Burstawesome

Armor wont really protect you, as your other stats will give you resistances from damage naturally. My path to success is using the Royal starting class. Snag the Wooden Catalyst from 1-2, the Kris Blade from 2-1 (upgrade with colorless demon's souls until +5), and the Crescent Falchion +1 from 4-1. After that, you can Soul Ray, Fireball and Homing Soul Arrow your way through every boss.

My hybrid magic build uses a "pushed" Talisman of Beasts, with final stats at 44 MAG and 44 FAI to maximize scaling. Other than that, you wont need heavy armor or really even much Vitality or Endurance.

• Like 1

Just now, ZeromusF4 said:

If you wanna cheese the game a bit (levels HELP but are not the be all end all) there is a way to dupe the consumable souls giving you infinite XP. Look it up on youtube. Its easy to do

Dang idk if I'm willing to do that, I really have been enjoying Bloodborne and i'm excited to play all the FromSoftware Games. I would rather enjoy the game first then maybe do some glitch if I really get pissed off. Still Thanks for the help.

43 minutes ago, Burstawesome said:

Any other advice would be great.

Choose a build and stick to it early. Well-rounded stats won't do anything useful for you, especially LUCK (keep it as low as possible).

There's several "speed" guides, but personally, I don't think they're helpful at all for new players. If you need a source for info, this is everything you'll ever need: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

Feel free to tag me any time, and I'll assist in any way I can (I know the entire game inside and out).

• Like 1

The advice given is good, but it's more appropriate for a second playthrough or someone experienced with the game, I feel like you're more interested in just some general tips for a fun first play.

I think avoiding fat rolling is a big thing you wanna aim for, increasing endurance will increase your equip load for armor so you can fast roll with heavier sets, but the knight's armor is heavy enough that you won't be able to fast roll with the full set until you're pretty much at the soft cap for endurance anyway. My advice is ditch the chest piece  of the knights set and instead equip any chest piece that you like the look of/you think goes well with the helmet, gloves and boots, and still lets you fast roll. Armor doesn't do a huge amount so this will be fine, you'll look cool and be able to fast roll.

For stats, it depends on what weapons/playstyle you're following, but you'll want to aim for the softcap (the point after which stat gains become minimal) for endurance and vitality so both are good to put points in whenever you're not sure. Both softcap at 40, so before either stat hits 40 feel free to put points into them whenever you want more HP (vitality) or more stamina (endurance). Both very important stats!

As for your question about grinding, I don't think grinding will generally help you when you're stuck on a boss, it's more the technique. Once you get good enough, you can beat the game without even levelling up, so don't fret too much on grinding for levels. Upgrading weapons is a bit different as they do have tangible benefits, so if there are some upgrade materials available in the area you're in for the weapon you want to upgrade then by all means go for it.

One tactic a lot of people suggest, and I do think it's quite a good idea even in a new run, is to get the crescent falchion in 4-1. It's in an easy to get spot, it's guarded by a tough enemy but you can sprint past to grab it. The crescent falchion is equivalent to a regular falchion that has been upgraded, and then altered into the crescent (magic damage) version, so it comes with the equivalent of already having a ton of upgrade materials spent on it, for free! You pick it up at crescent falchion +1, so it's already quite strong and you can use it for most if not all the game without upgrading it much further. It deals magic damage which most enemies are weak to, so it's a good all rounder. It scales with the magic stat, however on a regular playthrough (not NG+) the scaling won't make a huge difference as it already hits hard so you can wield it freely without putting points in magic, and instead speccing into vitality and endurance for a while like I said before. Mid/late game you can change to any other weapon you like that you might have found, and upgrade it with all the excess materials you saved while using the crescent falchion, and then you can level up whatever stat your weapon of choice scales with best (strength, dex, etc.)

Good luck, and have fun!

Edited by Mst-Sgt-Peppa
  • Like 1

@Mst-Sgt-Peppa Thanks the tips are appreciated, I tried to get a new helmet and armor and the fat rolling has gotten better. I also tried Tower Knight for the second time and it seems that I have gotten better but I do almost no damage to him, still seems possible though so I will probably grind a +2 weapon and try again. The path to get to Tower Knight is annoying, having to wait for the dragon to pass has gotten old but I'm still enjoying the game.

You really don't need armor, and Vitality isn't as useful as you may think.

Also, the Crescent weapons regenerate MP...that's their selling point. If you want magic damage from your weapon, the Moon path is better.

26 minutes ago, Burstawesome said:

@Mst-Sgt-Peppa Thanks the tips are appreciated, I tried to get a new helmet and armor and the fat rolling has gotten better. I also tried Tower Knight for the second time and it seems that I have gotten better but I do almost no damage to him, still seems possible though so I will probably grind a +2 weapon and try again. The path to get to Tower Knight is annoying, having to wait for the dragon to pass has gotten old but I'm still enjoying the game.

For tower knight specifically, you will be doing minimal damage when smacking his ankles. However, once you do enough damage to both ankles he will topple over for a while and let you hit his head, which is where the big damage comes in, so don't think you're too weak if you're doing only a little damage to his legs!

20 minutes ago, Helyx said:

You really don't need armor, and Vitality isn't as useful as you may think.

Also, the Crescent weapons regenerate MP...that's their selling point. If you want magic damage from your weapon, the Moon path is better.

The MP regen is good and crescent falchion goes well with a magic build because of this, but it's not really necessary. It smacks almost all enemies around in the game at its base +1 level, and some areas (like the mines, where enemies are particularly weak to magic) it just destroys everything in 2 hits, so I think it's perfectly fine to use it in a non magic build as an early/mid game weapon as you're learning. Particularly as its so easy to get, there's no reason to commit to a magic build when using it in the short/medium term.

4 minutes ago, Mst-Sgt-Peppa said:

Particularly as its so easy to get, there's no reason to commit to a magic build when using it in the short/medium term.

I recommended this same weapon earlier in the thread, but if your goal is to have OP pick up short-term gear, then you guys have fun.