PS4 Games set during nighttime?

ResoluteRock

I’ve always loved the vibe of nighttime. Something about the world going to asleep makes it feel like being awake and exploring it is a private experience, kinda like the world is yours to explore for a few hours before the sun rises yet again and everyone returns to the hustle and bustle of their regular 9-5 jobs and lives.

Lately, with being in lockdown, I’m looking for games that capture that nighttime vibe to explore. Bonus points to any games with beautiful lighting (like neon lighting).

Any suggestions on games with a beautiful nighttime setting?

Preferably, games that have open worlds that can be explored to some degree. For example, The Division 2 has an expansion that brings you to Coney Island at night and everything is lit up with neon lighting. Soul Axiom is a relaxing game with similar environments. Sleeping Dogs has a beautiful nighttime setting to explore. I’m sure there’s many more games like those that exist, but I haven’t found a whole lot of them.

EDIT: Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I’m sure I’ll enjoy these games :D

Edited by ResoluteRock
  • Like 3

Yakuza for the most part takes place in a city or other towns at night and you get a lot of feel for the night life there.

Horizon: Zero Dawn also looks pretty good at night time. I remember in the expansion there's a moment where you're climbing a mountain and I just so happened to climb it at night and all the stars with the snowy atmosphere looked really great.

The Witcher 3 can also be pretty at night too, although I personally preferred to rest until dawn because the sunrise looked really nice.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PondNewt said:

How about something like Jupiter and Mars which takes place underwater?  Would be kinda dark I imagine so would be similar to nigh time.  

What game series is that?

Also, thanks for the replies so far everybody! I’ll look into the games listed above :)

Edited by ResoluteRock

If you're into racers, definitely try Need for Speed (2015). This game gets some criticism for reasons I've never fully understood, but I can almost guarantee that you'll find the setting spectacular. Still looks photorealistic in places, even five years later. Some people say the city is empty - which it is, but it doesn't take away from an extremely strong city-at-night vibe.

If you have not played Skyrim, it has a huge underground cavern, IIRC it is called the Underdark. The first time I entered it my jaw dropped. Luminescient mushrooms will be your ancient neon lighting. Beyond that, Skyrim is filled with caves and dark ruins to explore. 

Edit: I second Until Dawn

Edited by da-Noob123

Until Dawn lol... yeah... lots of horror games set a night. I'm going to assume you don't want those and not mention any more. I'll also leave out games in outer space. It sounds to me like you are wanting some night life kind of feels. So I would suggest the various Batman Arkham games. Transistor is one of my favorite games which is basically all at night. Oxenfree is another good one. Concrete genie, really good. Gone Home and What Remains of Edith Finch for walking sims. The Wolf Among Us... um.. Tomb Raider. Thief, Dishonored... Hollow Knight! 

These are kind of horror, but more actiony and less about being scary, Vampyr, Bloodborne. Metro games, Shadow of Mordor, Diablo, Bioshock is also like that. It's technically underwater, worth a play and definitely has a night time environment.

Here's some that I'm less sure about. I believe the Yakuza games are primarily about the night life, but I don't have a lot of experience with them. Night in the Woods, same thing. I assume it's night time. There is also Persona 5 which has enough life sim stuff that you can find some enjoyable nightlife moments, but they are just moments not the focus. Catherine is one I haven't played but looks like you hang around at a bar and go on dates all the time so probably has some nightlife feels. Minit is black and white, mostly black. Other games I'm thinking of have day/night cycles but you can control it and always be running around at night if you want. Stuff like Witcher 3, AC Odyssey, Mafia 3, Saint's Rows. 

Edited by spacey_dweeb
  • Like 1

Cool thread, I love this feeling too. 

I don’t see Skyrim on your profile which is a travesty. That’s probably the best curator of whimsical nighttime adventures. Just take a listen: 

Second on the list has to be Hollow Knight, despite 90% of the game taking place underground. Exploring a ruined kingdom on your lonesome encapsulates that feeling of solitary exploration amidst a place once so full of life. It’s also one of the most beautiful games you’ll ever play (see my avi!)

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is extraordinarily immersive, and is the best example of a bustling world being at momentary peace. The charm of the medieval world only adds to that distinct satisfaction of sneaking through a town at night, tampering with every lock in sight and scampering away from the guards on patrol. 

RDR2 could easily have been at the top of this list. For me it’s easily the most immersive open world ever created. Whether you’re sheltering inside of a teeming saloon during a magnificent thunderstorm or you’re stalking through the dark woods to hunt the elusive panther, it doesn’t get much better than this. 

Perhaps an odd recommendation, but Destiny 2 has some beautifully realised worlds that are a joy to simply sit and stare at during nighttime. It being a multiplayer game only adds to this charm, making it feel alive, and there’s nothing quite like lazing in the moonlight of an alien planet whilst the guy a few hundred metres away from you is fighting for his life against a horde of giant, murderous brutes. 

I also agree that the Yakuza games do a great job at capturing the vibrant nightlife feeling. I can’t recommend Yakuza 0/Kiwami enough. 

Finally, Fallout 4 is also worth your time. Murky swamps and a world in decay, lost travellers and lurking mutants. The natural, captivating aura of Fallout goes hand in hand with the peculiar sense of nighttime discovery. 

Edited by MrFudge

Rain (PS3) but also on PSNow covers this off well I think. It's always dark/raining, your explore streets and inside some abandoned buildings, no other people around and some really unique game mechanics.

Tokyo Jungle (PS3) and again on PSNow - not always night time but there are no people, just animals (including yourself). Post apocalyptic setting so the streets/buildings are decayed.

11 hours ago, NekoRave said:

Outlast 2 :)))

Very wonderful quiet game

LOL, indeed. What a wonderful meditative experience that game is :D 

A couple of games capture the feeling you describe for me.

Dex, while not really an open-world game, is still rather non-linear iirc, and has a very nice cyberpunk nightlife vibe to it. The soundtrack is excellent too. It's a really good game.

198X is another one. There are some "scenes" in the game that take place during the day, but mostly it captures an 80's city by night-feel. Some of the arcade games take place at night, like the beat 'em up and racing games, and they are very atmospheric.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ResoluteRock said:

I’ve always loved the vibe of nighttime. Something about the world going to asleep makes it feel like being awake and exploring it is a private experience, kinda like the world is yours to explore for a few hours before the sun rises yet again and everyone returns to the hustle and bustle of their regular 9-5 jobs and lives.

Lately, with being in lockdown, I’m looking for games that capture that nighttime vibe to explore. Bonus points to any games with beautiful lighting (like neon lighting).

Any suggestions on games with a beautiful nighttime setting?

Preferably, games that have open worlds that can be explored to some degree. For example, The Division 2 has an expansion that brings you to Coney Island at night and everything is lit up with neon lighting. Soul Axiom is a relaxing game with similar environments. Sleeping Dogs has a beautiful nighttime setting to explore. I’m sure there’s many more games like those that exist, but I haven’t found a whole lot of them.

EDIT: Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I’m sure I’ll enjoy these games :D

These aren't inherently "beautiful" (excluding Horizon Zero Dawn), but they are games with at least good nighttime systems, whether graphically or because they impact gameplay in some way.

Open-world-

Dying Light (genuinely terrifying yet also engrossing at night. Trust me on this one.)

Horizon Zero Dawn

Mad Max

Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4.

18 hours ago, ResoluteRock said:

What game series is that?

Also, thanks for the replies so far everybody! I’ll look into the games listed above :)

It's just a stand alone game where you play as a dolphin.  Don't think it's part of a series or franchise.  

Didn't want to recommend games that have alternating night and day cycle but seems like you're also content with that. 

For games that only take place at night, I'd say batman Arkham series and saints row 4. (Technically it's a simulation but same shit, everything is dark outside anyway lol). 

Edit: I guess alien isolation counts as well :hmm:

Edited by PooPooBlast