Which version is easier to control? (Guacamelee)

damon8r351

As soon as I finish with the game I'm currently playing, I'm thinking of starting Guacamelee again. I was previously playing it on the Vita and it was aggravating to say the least. I think most of my problem was that my right thumb would bump the right stick (which controls rolling) right in the middle of complicated jumping and wall-grabbing sections, causing my little guy to plummet to his death and me to start drinking... Anyway, I want to test a theory, which would be Which version did you have greater success with, the PS3 version or the Vita version? Personally I think my problem was that the Vita has all those buttons crammed on the right in such a small space and that this game is very unforgiving about it. I might have better success using the PS3 controller.

• 4 weeks later...

I found playing Guacamelle on the Vita much easier. I completed it on hard and got platinum on it so there's that. I love the clicky micro-switch buttons and d-pad, so going from that to the dualshock's spongy buttons feels weird. I hope the DS4 has clicky buttons. Ergonomically it looks like a big improvement to the aging Dualshock, and if the buttons are anything like the Vita's I'll be more than happy.

Anyway, I don't get why people play 2D platformers with the analogue stick, especially ones without analogue control like Guacamelle (you can't walk - Juan either runs or doesn't move at all). The only time I used the left analogue is when aiming throws, then after I switched back to the d-pad. Plus you don't have to use the right analogue either, you can use L to dodge which lets you keep your thumb over the face buttons for quicker gameplay.

Lastly, to the person who said they kept moving the right analogue by accident when pressing X - I don't get it personally. Whether you hover your thumb over the stick or to the side of it, you'd actually have to move your thumb sideways, whereas you only move your thumb downwards to press the button. All I can say is you must have very big thumbs! :-P Personally the smaller buttons on the Vita are fine for me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm coming off the PS4 version purely to replay the PS3/Vita version for the trophies (and I like the game) and I've gotta tell you I don't know what idiot mapped the stick to walls button to Triangle (as opposed to just simply holding the stick in the opposite direction) but they deserve a good punch to the face. It's the same button as the Dash on walls and so naturally on shit like Tree Tops you're gonna accidentally dash up or to the right/left when you meant to stick and are just trying to direct your jumps, and on the last section when you have to let go of Triangle, quickly move your thumb down to X, jump THEN shift dimensions and it just gets incredibly aggravating. On PS4 Tree Tops was still frustrating but at least the controls were fair and i think they realised just how annoying this control style was when porting it to the PS4. Is the PS3 version as annoying?