FF13 vs FF15: Worst Final Fantasy ever made?

Silver-I-Chariot

FF13 vs FF15: Worst Final Fantasy ever made?  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Your personal worst Final Fantasy mainline title is:

24 minutes ago, shadowTECnology said:

Final Fantasy is my favorite video game series, and have played them all.  The worst games in my opinion are definitely II, IX and XII.

My backlog on re-playing most of them for trophies will take a century, but there is so many good games to play.

I find it funny because my favorite final fantasy games are IX and XII. VII and X are close though.
Is this a common opinion on these games?

Edited by Alex_Hedgehog

2 minutes ago, Alex_Hedgehog said:

I find it funny because my favorite final fantasy games are IX and XII. VII and X are close though.

XII used to be one of my least favorites, but after playing the travesty known as XV, I actually enjoy XII now... guess I didn't realize how much worse things could get. ? Never understood the hate for IX though, that one has always been awesome (probably my second favorite behind VII). :hmm:

• Like 1

All IMO and ignoring sequels!

-FFXV is the 2nd weakest however we got the BEST Final Fantasy Movie out of it, so there's redemption

-FFXIII is 3rd weakest, was better in story

-FFXII for me is the #1 weakest, sorry for those that love it, but even Square Enix came out publicly and apologized for how bad it was

So it looks pretty grim for the future of the FF series... Since all of these are "newer"

But there's always hope

Pleaaaaassseee let FFXVI be awesome! In every aspect!

• Like 1

The worst Final Fantasy from those I've played, is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. I just dunno wtf that game was. 

From the two in the poll.... neither are bad games in my opinion. I had fun with both. But FF XV just doesn't feel like it should be a Final Fantasy game, so my vote goes there. It's both a bad Final Fantasy and a weak action RPG, but it does many things right. 

As for XIII... I personally don't understand the hate. I liked it miles more than X-2 or Lightning Returns, for example. 

4 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

-FFXII for me is the #1 weakest, sorry for those that love it, but even Square Enix came out publicly and apologized for how bad it was

That's news to me. Can you provide a source?

Edited by Arcesius

FF XIII was a terrible experience for me. Of all the FF games I played, it's the only one I played only once and never returned to it. A FF game with almost no open world, made up like an action game, with boring levels. It was a huge letdown, even after XII, which I did find a bit boring, but at least it was a FF game.

5 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

The worst Final Fantasy from those I've played, is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. I just dunno wtf that game was. 

From the two in the poll.... neither are bad games in my opinion. I had fun with both. But FF XV just doesn't feel like it should be a Final Fantasy game, so my vote goes there. It's both a bad Final Fantasy and a weak action RPG, but it does many things right. 

As for XIII... I personally don't understand the hate. I liked it miles more than X-2 or Lightning Returns, for example. 

That's news to me. Can you provide a source?

If google is kind, I have trouble finding things from 1 year ago now ><

Im gonna look for it

From the wiki is the best I can get without killing myself, but it's not the whole thing from back then

"Akitoshi Kawazu, the game's executive producer, has later admitted he thought the game is not perfect. "

I remember them saying "from all of us at square enix" and the wiki isn't a direct quote, I don't have the energy to find it. But it was in the news back then. Probably on IGN

It's out there somewhere

1 hour ago, Alex_Hedgehog said:

Your favorites are popular amongst some FF fans, just not myself.  They are diverse titles I have noticed.  Same with VIII which I like alot more than those.

My absolute favorite(s) single player FF is X, followed by VII including the Remake, VI, and VIII.  X and VII are highly regarded as a fantastic FF games.  Again, VIII is a diverse FF title amonst fans.

I also loved XI when I played up to Treasures of Aht Urhgan and I still play and ? Final Fantasy XIV. (Heavensward and Shadowbringers put some FF stories to shame.)

XIII and XIII-2 are alright but very polarized amongst the fanbase.  I enjoyed XV, even though this is one falls under that same category.

Older FF fans regard the older games (pre-X) as better while younger fans, don't really have such diverse attitudes towards the more modern ones.

Edited by shadowTECnology
  • Like 1

Wow that thread is hurting me ? ? I like them both, especially Final Fantasy XIII. 

And I haven’t played a bad Final Fantasy game so far. My rating from best to worst (but even the worst being really good) is:

1. Final Fantasy X

2. Final Fantasy XII

3. Final Fantasy XIII

4. Final Fantasy VII Remake

5. Final Fantasy XV

I always have a hard time deciding if I prefer Final Fantasy XII or XIII. I think I prefer the gameplay of Final Fantay XII and the story of Final Fantasy XIII.

Honestly, I think 7 is the weakest. The story had HORRIBLE pacing. The materia system made every character feel the same. The core systems were literally barebones. I know people like to say "Well Sephiroth is what makes that game so great. They finally explored the inner humanity of the villain". Yeah well it's too bad they didn't explore the inner humanity of the main cast cause literally half of them could've been cut out without affecting the game. Not to mention, it's ugly as sin lol. I remember buying it day 1 and about ten hours in just thinking, why did I do this?

I know 2 gets a lot of crap but personally I think it was ahead of it's time. The whole "level a skill and corresponding stat by using that skill and stat" was unheard of at the time. I remember when people were blowing Elder Scrolls for using this groundbreaking revolutionary system. And I just couldn't help but think "didn't ff2 do this in the 80's?". It's actually a shame it doesn't get more credit for that.

Edit : I probably should've pointed out that I actually do like 7. Even the worst Final Fantasy is better than a lot of games =)

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 4

I honestly don't even have a worst FF game. Of all the ones I've played, the only one that comes close is FFX, but it certainly is not bad!! It is one of the best games I've ever played. The only thing that makes me say it is among the worst is the blitzball game, the sphere grid and the stupid chocobo race!!!!!! 

XV gets my vote. It was just actively, relentlessly bad, in so many areas. Stuff like chocobos and phoenix downs just being hauled out of storage to dress up a clattering, unworthy plot.

XIII certainly had shortcomings, but I actually enjoyed the "play-calling" style of the combat quite a bit. And I like the way you fight with your summons.

I've always heard VIII and XII had big problems as well, but I've never played them so can't speak to that.

• Like 1

Final Fantasy VIII is by far the worst in the series. It has a nonsensical story, bland characters with absolutely no development, a horrible magic system, and a broken stat system that makes the game a joke or ridiculously hard depending on if you know how to use it or not.

Between the XIII and XV, I'd say XV is definitely better. Especially now that it's gotten a bunch of improvements. The DLC episodes especially add a lot. It's stupid that the game was released half finished and had to slowly become a real game, but in it's current state, I would much rather play that than mash X  down a hallway for 30 hours.

• Like 1

I voted for "XIII" but I should've went with "Other" Everything after X (or X-2, yeah I actually like this one) just went downhill for me. I don't know if I changed over the years or just giving in or what but I enjoyed XV. Which is why I bought and want to give XII (remaster) another chance.

8 hours ago, Zippyhammer said:

XII is just... not Final Fantasy, feels more like an Star Wars spin off.

Right? Fran makes one sexy Chewbacca tho. xD

6 hours ago, Arcesius said:

This! Should've been my vote.

1 hour ago, PatinumNumemon said:

I honestly don't even have a worst FF game. Of all the ones I've played, the only one that comes close is FFX, but it certainly is not bad!! It is one of the best games I've ever played. The only thing that makes me say it is among the worst is the blitzball game, the sphere grid and the stupid chocobo race!!!!!! 

whaaatminion.gif

Blitzball (and Spheda from Dark Cloud 2) is my absolute favorite mini-game (if you can call it that) of all time. I remember loading the game up just to play BB and nothing else.

I was pissed when they messed it up in X-2, however.

To each their own I guess.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I like II and XV is not just the worst mainline Final Fantasy but also one of the worst games ever made. In these 5 quick bullet points I'll explain how Square Enix killed one of my favorite franchises:

1. What the fuck do you mean hold O to attack? This isn't combat this is just a sit-back-and-relax-and-enjoy-these-flashy-animations simulation. Literally less player input than visual novels and at least those need to have a good story.

B. Nice topic transition btw. The story is awful and having more NECESSARY material outside the game than NieR has OPTIONAL material outside is a sin and I'm definitely not buying the DLC for a game that's not fun to play.

>Prompto. Having one of your main 4 characters being an annoying shithead that even your other characters complain about should be a sign you shouldn't have written him as an annoying shithead. Also stealing Terra's whole shtick with far less subtle foreshadowing (if any) and zero lasting impact was a bold move. A bad one too.

4. If you're going to have a vast open world at least fill it up with something. The grass is pretty though =).

-I thought I had a fifth one but I guess I lied. Honestly forgot much about the game besides the basic plot. I guess it being forgettable is a flaw? Sure, let's put that.

Overall, it's a bad game and you have bad taste. However, the NPCs can change clothes so it's basically an 11/10. Don't @ me.

• Like 2

I've played all of them and I like all of them.

The complaints around II I notice are largely about the combat and level system which can be overwhelming if you don't know what you're doing. That aside it probably has the best story of the three NES games and that was a big thing back when  JRPGs were largely nothing but Dragon Quest Clones

Most complaints I see about VIII are similar, junctioning tends to fly over a lot of heads and drawing magic turns people off but I personally never did much drawing and junctioning was no different than the materia system from VII, just more in depth. The story was a bit of let down though with the "lol we all grew up in the same orphanage" nonsense and Squall and Rinoa felt so forced it wasn't even funny

XII is one of my favorites actually because it doesn't fall into the standard JRPG mold and is less about a grand adventure to kill some godlike diety and more about characters whom are just pieces of a greater picture which is refreshing. Combat is more similar to standard western RPGS and I'd say my only problem was how bad the AI was.

Edited by majob

Never realised how many people hated VIII, it is by far my favorite!  XV on the other hand I absolutely detested with a horrible story and gameplay.  The DLCs helped made it better but I still hate the game for being such a mess (it was like an open world area for gameplay, and then a railroaded story detached from that area).  Never finished II or played the MMOs but I liked all the other games enough.

• Like 2

Where the hell is FF 2 in this poll? That is the only main line FF game I haven't built up the energy to finish. The progression system of leveling up your spells and abilities by using them over and over again is fucking horrible. It's funny because it's like what Skyrim has but I like Skyrim as a game overall. I guess mixing that kind of progression system with a turn based combat wasn't really wise. Good thing they abandoned it when 3 came out and gave us a fantastic job system instead.

Edited by PostGameBlues