A Mysterious Figure Question

Hi, guys! I know for a fact that I am not skilled enough to defeat the Mysterious Figure with Terra on any mode, so I've devised a plan. I am going to spend hours upon hours over-leveling to Level 99 and then CRUSH him. Or am I? My question is does the Mysterious Figure's level scale with the player's? I sure hope not because if so, I can kiss this Platinum goodbye.

• Like 1

Does it scale? Yes and no. I don't believe the boss gets stronger as you do, but if it's anything like KH2 then there is some cap for your stats against bosses. So leveling probably will not solve your issue.

Just now, RNumbers said:

Does it scale? Yes and no. I don't believe the boss gets stronger as you do, but if it's anything like KH2 then there is some cap for your stats against bosses. So leveling probably will not solve your issue.

I read that once you hit Level 65, the stat increases stop being effective, but that if you do Thunder Surge with EXP 0 on, you can take out almost a whole health bar with one Surge. Do you know if that's true?

11 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

I read that once you hit Level 65, the stat increases stop being effective, but that if you do Thunder Surge with EXP 0 on, you can take out almost a whole health bar with one Surge. Do you know if that's true?

You have to get pretty lucky to take off that much with one surge. But for better or worse this battle is highly luck based, IMO more than just about any other KH optional boss. From what I recall, equipping certain skills makes him much more aggressive. My advice is to read one of the many good guides for an optimal build and just keep trying. You'll get it eventually. If you've been able to do it with aqua or ventus then you already know it's possible, Terra is not that much harder, despite his inferior dodge.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

You have to get pretty lucky to take off that much with one surge. But for better or worse this battle is highly luck based, IMO more than just about any other KH optional boss. From what I recall, equipping certain skills makes him much more aggressive. My advice is to read one of the many good guides for an optimal build and just keep trying. You'll get it eventually. If you've been able to do it with aqua or ventus then you already know it's possible, Terra is not that much harder, despite his inferior dodge.

Thank you! I think I'm going to cry when I have to beat him on Critical.

35 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

Thank you! I think I'm going to cry when I have to beat him on Critical.

I've never been that much of a glutton for punishment. Fortunately that's not needed for the platinum.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

I've never been that much of a glutton for punishment. Fortunately that's not needed for the platinum.

It's not? I thought you had to clear the Final Episode and the Secret Episode to complete the reports on Critical to get Platinum. I am not going to battle him on Critical if I don't have to!

From the trophy guide on this site:

"After completing it on Critical with all three characters, you then save the Final Episode data. Once beating the Final Episode, you save the Secret Episode data. Once you beat the Secret Episode, then the trophy will pop."

Edited by Kristen Danielle

6 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

It's not? I thought you had to clear the Final Episode and the Secret Episode to complete the reports on Critical to get Platinum. I am not going to battle him on Critical if I don't have to!

From the trophy guide on this site:

"After completing it on Critical with all three characters, you then save the Final Episode data. Once beating the Final Episode, you save the Secret Episode data. Once you beat the Secret Episode, then the trophy will pop."

If you do all the reports on a lower difficulty you don't have to beat MF, Vanitas Remnant, or the other bosses in the Arena. Once you beat the game you should just be able to move on to Final and then Secret.

So basically, beat absolutely everything on Normal/Easy idr what they are called exactly. Leaving only the Critical trophy.

Start game on Critical and beat it with all 3 characters, I like using separate save slots for everything, and once you beat it with the 3rd character you can move to Final, beat it, move to Secret, and beat that for the Critical trophy.

It's been a bit since I did the PS3/PS4 games but that's how I remember it going for me on both versions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

If you do all the reports on a lower difficulty you don't have to beat MF, Vanitas Remnant, or the other bosses in the Arena. Once you beat the game you should just be able to move on to Final and then Secret.

So basically, beat absolutely everything on Normal/Easy idr what they are called exactly. Leaving only the Critical trophy.

Start game on Critical and beat it with all 3 characters, I like using separate save slots for everything, and once you beat it with the 3rd character you can move to Final, beat it, move to Secret, and beat that for the Critical trophy.

It's been a bit since I did the PS3/PS4 games but that's how I remember it going for me on both versions.

Oh! I thought the MF was the boss for the Secret Episode!

1 minute ago, Kristen Danielle said:

Oh! I thought the MF was the boss for the Secret Episode!

No but I will say this now that you should level Aqua up a lot to make things there easier. You won't get to level much there if I'm not mistaken and the boss can be kind of annoying but no boss is like MF to most people. (personally I do think because MF has no exploits you have to beat him legit that Lingering Will in KH2 and Vanitas Remnant in BBS are harder but both have exploits that make them a breeze...sort of...)

1 hour ago, Kristen Danielle said:

That solves everything! Thank you, thank you, thank you! lol

No problem. Going back to your first post though, it doesn't hurt to level Terra up. I think I was in the 70's or 80's on the PS3 version when I beat MF with him although you can be a lot lower considering how much luck is involved. Ventus and Aqua are easier to beat him with, and Final/Secret iirc just deal with Aqua which is why for Critical it's best to level up a bit first. I think I went to the 60's for an easier time.

All the other stuff about skills and aggression I've seen be hit or miss. Some people say it worked some didn't, and I honestly don't remember if I used those methods on the PS4 version.

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

40 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

No problem. Going back to your first post though, it doesn't hurt to level Terra up. I think I was in the 70's or 80's on the PS3 version when I beat MF with him although you can be a lot lower considering how much luck in involved. Ventus and Aqua are easier to beat him with, and Final/Secret iirc just deal with Aqua which is why for Critical it's best to level up a bit first. I think I went to the 60's for an easier time.

All the other stuff about skills and aggression I've seen be hit or miss. Some people say it worked some didn't, and I honestly don't remember if I used those methods on the PS4 version.

Thank you so much! I'm going to go to Level 99 just to be on the safe side!

• 2 months later...

Hey, just a few tips on beating MF with Terra if you are still having troubles, these tips saved me a lot of time personally.

1: turn off your D-links, I have died to accidentally switching to them many times.

2: turn off useless abilities. The only ones I kept were: Hp boost x3, thunder boost x3, attack haste x5, magic haste x5, reload speed, damage syphon, second chance, once more, and leaf bracer. 

3: Thunder surge, Curaga, thunder surge, curaga, thunder surge, cura, thunder surge, cura in this order. Thunderstorm shotlock fully leveled is a must.

4: Remove sonic impact it will slow you down while baiting him. 

5: Level 50 to 55 is good enough, since MF has a damage cap where you can't do much more damage per hit after a certain damage thresh hold, hence why thunder surge being a multi hit move works so well.

6: Keyblades: Chaos Ripper (high attack) or Royal Radiance (refill my commands faster) are what I normally use. Use whichever you feel more comfortable with. 

Strategy: The strategy I used was to bait MF. Run from him and he will most likely chase you, once he is in range use a surge then slide away again, repeat process until dead. He will of course use moves but you can normally trap him in the bait loop just enough to get you more than half way.

Stage 1: If he squats on the ground and a glyph appears under him it's the stupid command drop tornado, just dodge out of the way once its coming at you. If he grabs you with his long rope just press square and air slide away from him, he's vulnerable when he lands if you can dodge this attack. Clones you must surge and kill as fast as you can, they do a lot of damage, if you miss just heal and be ready to surge when you're able to. You can block most of his ground attacks if you time it right or dodge, you can also surge for some damage but be prepared to heal yourself if you try this. His fire move is when he squats and light comes out from under him, most times he will spawn behind you, just dodge around in opposite directions or zigzags, after 4-5 fire warps he is vulnerable, you can get a surge off when the flames vanish and he is just running. If he summons the mass of blue orbs stop instantly no matter what you're doing and shotlock to max on him, you will have JUST enough time and if you can do it you'll get free damage and avoid the move entirely (damage syphon lets you keep your shotlock topped up just in case). I'm not sure what builds up to his stun or time freezing move, sorry.

Stage 2: Once he has around 2 hp bars left he has a chance to go invisible and your baiting wont work as well. If you're lucky he will come back out of it quickly or not even go invisible at all, if he is invisible though surge at him to the best of your abilities and keep an eye on his swords for his position, or you can try to avoid him until he is visible again. Doom is just Doom, just mash X and pray. Hopefully he skips the meteor showers during this stage, if this happens just heal or surge through each meteor/fire ball and hope he doesn't spam it. 

I hope this helps. Good luck! :D

• 5 months later...
On 25/06/2020 at 11:26 AM, Kristen Danielle 2 said:

Hi, guys! I know for a fact that I am not skilled enough to defeat the Mysterious Figure with Terra on any mode, so I've devised a plan. I am going to spend hours upon hours over-leveling to Level 99 and then CRUSH him. Or am I? My question is does the Mysterious Figure's level scale with the player's? I sure hope not because if so, I can kiss this Platinum goodbye.

I know this is late, but for anyone else attempting MF (as of 2021, and especially with Terra), I can confirm he is much easier on Beginner than on Critical. I was able to beat him with Terra on Critical at level 65, and at level 45 on Beginner. On critical all of his attacks 1-shot you, but on Beginner with max HP his attacks take 2-3 hits to deplete your entire bar, giving you wiggle room to make some errors. This, along with Maestro :bronze: will probably prevent most people from obtaining the platinum, so here are a few tips I can share from my experience:

1. Play the game on Critical with all three characters. You can ignore all of the collection stuff for Terra. Your aim is to just basically collect all the Xenohort reports to unlock then beat the Final and Secret episodes.

2. You can beat all of the bosses/arena/secret on Critical easily with Aqua and Ven by abusing their dodge (they are 100% invulnerable during dodges), so use these save files to complete their collection records. For an even easier time, I recommend being at least level 55.

3. Since Terra is much slower and is vulnerable at the end of his dash, he can't abuse dodges like the other two, so his Critical playthrough is much harder, and for some, making MF almost impossible. The easiest thing to do is start a new Beginner playthrough, this makes MF and the Mirage Arena bosses more manageable (giving you a buffer of 2-3 hits as opposed to being 1-shotted).

And here are my tips for MF:

1. DO NOT EQUIP more than 4 cure spells, otherwise he will constantly cast doom outside of his invisibility phase. Regardless of difficulty, if this counter reaches 0, you will die.

2. @Tannerdark3's setup is the best, 4 Thunder Surges and 4 Curagas work well. Also removing Sonic Impact and Ice Slide is advisable.

3. If you ever get combo'd to 0 HP, make sure you DO NOT break out of it and let Second Chance and Once More trigger and only healing afterwards.

4. When he casts orbs of light that shoot beams at you, DO NOT attack him, doing so will trigger him to attack you in addition to the beams, the best counter is to just heal after each beam (roughly 4 sets of beams).

5. When he clones himself, Thunder Suge into them, once you hit the right one, all his clones disappear. If you get combo locked by the clones, either take the L and heal after, or mash Thunder Surge once there is a break in the combo.

6. If you get hit by his Fire Surge, DO NOT break out of it, he will rush you 4 times if you get hit, heal once you land after the 4th. Otherwise if you are able to dodge it, he will Surge 7 times.

7. After he has 2 bars of HP left he will go invisible for roughly 30 seconds. His move sets are the same except he will begin casting Doom, Mega Flare and Meteor. There are 3 ways you can counter this phase. A.) Either prevent him from going invisible by damaging him during his charge up B.) Dash and Surge around the arena, healing occasionally until you can lock on to him again C.) Constantly Surge through the middle of the area in hopes of hitting him, making sure to always dash afterwards.

8. Lastly, there are 2 good opportunities to damage him without suffering much of a counter. He will fly up into the air and cast Cross Slash, dash through it and towards him, and surge him just as he lands. He will stay still, and build up a whirlwind that removes all your commands, dash through it and surge him. With the Chaos Ripper equipped at level 45 on Beginner, this shaves off more than half a HP Bar.

Hopefully this helps anyone still attempting this Plat. Good luck guys.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 13/02/2021 at 2:28 AM, Roundtoad said:

I know this is late, but for anyone else attempting MF (as of 2021, and especially with Terra), I can confirm he is much easier on Beginner than on Critical. I was able to beat him with Terra on Critical at level 65, and at level 45 on Beginner. On critical all of his attacks 1-shot you, but on Beginner with max HP his attacks take 2-3 hits to deplete your entire bar, giving you wiggle room to make some errors. This, along with Maestro :bronze: will probably prevent most people from obtaining the platinum, so here are a few tips I can share from my experience:

1. Play the game on Critical with all three characters. You can ignore all of the collection stuff for Terra. Your aim is to just basically collect all the Xenohort reports to unlock then beat the Final and Secret episodes.

2. You can beat all of the bosses/arena/secret on Critical easily with Aqua and Ven by abusing their dodge (they are 100% invulnerable during dodges), so use these save files to complete their collection records. For an even easier time, I recommend being at least level 55.

3. Since Terra is much slower and is vulnerable at the end of his dash, he can't abuse dodges like the other two, so his Critical playthrough is much harder, and for some, making MF almost impossible. The easiest thing to do is start a new Beginner playthrough, this makes MF and the Mirage Arena bosses more manageable (giving you a buffer of 2-3 hits as opposed to being 1-shotted).

And here are my tips for MF:

1. DO NOT EQUIP more than 4 cure spells, otherwise he will constantly cast doom outside of his invisibility phase. Regardless of difficulty, if this counter reaches 0, you will die.

2. @Tannerdark3's setup is the best, 4 Thunder Surges and 4 Curagas work well. Also removing Sonic Impact and Ice Slide is advisable.

3. If you ever get combo'd to 0 HP, make sure you DO NOT break out of it and let Second Chance and Once More trigger and only healing afterwards.

4. When he casts orbs of light that shoot beams at you, DO NOT attack him, doing so will trigger him to attack you in addition to the beams, the best counter is to just heal after each beam (roughly 4 sets of beams).

5. When he clones himself, Thunder Suge into them, once you hit the right one, all his clones disappear. If you get combo locked by the clones, either take the L and heal after, or mash Thunder Surge once there is a break in the combo.

6. If you get hit by his Fire Surge, DO NOT break out of it, he will rush you 4 times if you get hit, heal once you land after the 4th. Otherwise if you are able to dodge it, he will Surge 7 times.

7. After he has 2 bars of HP left he will go invisible for roughly 30 seconds. His move sets are the same except he will begin casting Doom, Mega Flare and Meteor. There are 3 ways you can counter this phase. A.) Either prevent him from going invisible by damaging him during his charge up B.) Dash and Surge around the arena, healing occasionally until you can lock on to him again C.) Constantly Surge through the middle of the area in hopes of hitting him, making sure to always dash afterwards.

8. Lastly, there are 2 good opportunities to damage him without suffering much of a counter. He will fly up into the air and cast Cross Slash, dash through it and towards him, and surge him just as he lands. He will stay still, and build up a whirlwind that removes all your commands, dash through it and surge him. With the Chaos Ripper equipped at level 45 on Beginner, this shaves off more than half a HP Bar.

Hopefully this helps anyone still attempting this Plat. Good luck guys.

Another super late post xD But I read through your tips and thank you so much!! I just managed to beat this...thing with Terra on LV.46 standard!! I must have died over 100 times but idc I did it haha. I'm probably not going for platinum because I don't wanna face him again 2 times for the platinum. But again TYSM!! :)

• Like 1

On 28/10/2021 at 5:34 AM, Cloemoester said:

Another super late post xD But I read through your tips and thank you so much!! I just managed to beat this...thing with Terra on LV.46 standard!! I must have died over 100 times but idc I did it haha. I'm probably not going for platinum because I don't wanna face him again 2 times for the platinum. But again TYSM!! :)

Haha good job! Glad it helped, but just know that beating him with Ven and Aqua is much much much easier since you can dodge spam through his invisibility phase and all of his attacks  ?

• Like 1