Mafia 1 Definitive Edition (September 25)

Since they moved the original topic into the mafia 2 section i thought it would be a good thing to have one in the "unreleased games" section to discuss specificly about Mafia 1.

In recent statements they mentioned options to adjust the gameplay to make it very similar to the original one. The standard gameplay will be quite similar to mafia 3, so you will definitely have a cover system, which the original game didnt have. Also you can adjust the police aggressiveness. In the original one you got pulled over for minimal speeding, passing over red lights, crashing cars etc. Also you couldn't bribe the police and once you were caught for medium and higher violations of the law, the game was over. So you can decide whether you want it to be classic or more gta like.

In terms of expanding the story they didn't share as much information. They already told us, that Sarah (Tommy's Wife) will get more screentime, because they want to show that she is one of the main reasons for tommy's behavior and his motivations.

I really hope they show some actual gameplay in the future, because everything is sounding great so far. I really hope they honor the original since it is my favorite game of all time.

Edited by westersburg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Brillica said:

I don't think there's ever been a game where my hopes are so high, but my expectations so low... 

So true.

Still hoping they fix what they broke with the release of the Definitive Edition of Mafia III.  Need to finish up that plat but it is broken again. 

On 6/25/2020 at 9:50 PM, westersburg said:

As they moved the original topic into the mafia 2 section i thought it would be a good thing to have one in the "unreleased games" section to discuss specificly about Mafia 1.

In recent statements they mentioned options to adjust the gameplay to make it very similar to the original one. The standard gameplay will be quite similar to mafia 3, so you will definitely have a cover system, which the original game didnt have. Also you can adjust the police aggressiveness. In the original one you got pulled over for minimal speeding, passing over red lights, crashing cars etc. Also you couldn't bribe the police and once you were caught for medium and higher violations of the law, the game was over. So you can decide whether you want it to be classic or more gta like.

In terms of expanding the story they didn't share as much information. They already told us, that Sarah (Tommy's Wife) will get more screentime, because they want to show that she is one of the main reasons for tommy's behavior and his motivations.

I really hope they show some actual gameplay in the future, because everything is sounding great so far. I really hope they honor the original since it is my favorite game of all time.

As someone who hasn't played the original,do you think I should experience it with the original systems intact? 

Yeah, Mafia 2 and 3 for 30 bucks each is way too overprized, especially since the mafia 2 remaster is poorly made. 40 for mafia 1 is a really good price considering the fact that they made everything from scratch (except for storywriting obviously)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haden Blackman and Hangar 13 in charge, huh? That's a big 'no' for me, a huge 'yikes', and a massive 'thanks but nah'.

These are the people who knowingly sold the broken and repetitive slog that was Mafia III. It was nigh unplayable on a technical level on release, and once it had been patched a few times, it was still nigh unplayable if you were looking to have fun. The 'No Loose Ends' Trophy, which already requires a nearly full second playthrough anyway, is still glitched and giving players grief. Hangar 13 also put its name on the borked Mafia II Definitive Edition, which retained all the glitches of the original, added in an incredible suite of new ones, and had the simple 'Enforcer' Trophy (for killing 50 enemies) glitched for almost a full month.

Their next game, something about spies, sounded dumb as fuck and got canned by 2K, so now Mr. Blackman and chums are trying to make a quick buck by taking other people's work (rather than just the franchise as they did with Mafia III) and turning it around with a new lick of paint (not for animations or sound though; both are reused from III by the looks of it). Yeah, no. I urge you all to buy this game used or at a very, very deep discount (big ups, Malaysian PSN store), because getting it on release will be opening yourself up to a lot of frustration as Mafia III and II Definitive Edition players experienced as well as condone and promote the irresponsible and reprehensible behaviour that Hangar 13 has espoused throughout pretty much its entire existence. I know that the original holds a great deal of nostalgia for many, myself included, but that experience still holds up to this day - you won't need to waste your money on this new version.

Throwback to the launch of Mafia III;

Edited by Golem25

I don't know, @Golem25. Read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/MafiaTheGame/comments/hv9szv/when_the_gameplay_reveal_is_tomorrow/fys5ait/

However, could still be the same issue, but I'm pretty sure the developers are not to blame. Every good developer strives to do his best work but can't deliver if he gets unrealistic time constraints.

Just now, woggly4 said:

I don't know, @Golem25. Read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/MafiaTheGame/comments/hv9szv/when_the_gameplay_reveal_is_tomorrow/fys5ait/

However, could still be the same issue, but I'm pretty sure the developers are not to blame. Every good developer strives to do his best work but can't deliver if he gets unrealistic time constraints.

It's cute that they planned for more stuff, but they don't delivered and that's what counts; just goes to show these people don't know how to properly scope their projects. Giving them a pass for their ambitions is the same principle as me asking people to think I'm a badass Trophy hunter for planning to get the Super Meatbot Platinum and settling for a visual novel instead. The whole Kotaku thing reads like a hit piece on 2K more than anything else - but at least the Reddit guy got his gold and le epic upvotes.

No Loose Ends is still glitched, the game that got released is still mediocre at best (played it for free on PC rather than PS thank the lord), II Definitive was and is borked (and Hangar 13 still put their name on it), and now Mafia Remake sports reused animations, sounds, and from a quick look a fair few assets as well. Is that 2K's fault for setting realistic deadlines, or Hangar 13's for being unable to put out respectable quality in a respectable timeframe? Bit of both, but it'd be too easy to blame the big, bad publisher for incompetence on the devs' part when H13 have been unable to put out anything resembling a good game since 2014. Their achievements are limited to a mildly entertaining character in Donovan and.... uh.... uhm.....

2 hours ago, Golem25 said:

It's cute that they planned for more stuff, but they don't delivered and that's what counts; just goes to show these people don't know how to properly scope their projects. Giving them a pass for their ambitions is the same principle as me asking people to think I'm a badass Trophy hunter for planning to get the Super Meatbot Platinum and settling for a visual novel instead. The whole Kotaku thing reads like a hit piece on 2K more than anything else - but at least the Reddit guy got his gold and le epic upvotes.

No Loose Ends is still glitched, the game that got released is still mediocre at best (played it for free on PC rather than PS thank the lord), II Definitive was and is borked (and Hangar 13 still put their name on it), and now Mafia Remake sports reused animations, sounds, and from a quick look a fair few assets as well. Is that 2K's fault for setting realistic deadlines, or Hangar 13's for being unable to put out respectable quality in a respectable timeframe? Bit of both, but it'd be too easy to blame the big, bad publisher for incompetence on the devs' part when H13 have been unable to put out anything resembling a good game since 2014. Their achievements are limited to a mildly entertaining character in Donovan and.... uh.... uhm.....

Blaming developers for things that are probably the publishers fault is pretty stupid imo. Hangar 13 had to rush mafia 3, they basically had no time for polishing back in 2016. 2k messed up pretty badly in the last months. Look at the Mafia 2 remaster (nothing to do with hangar 13) and the bioshock ps4 pro / xbox one x upgrade. A complete desaster. 2K decides how much time a studio gets for polishing, development and patch development. If they decide that the games are better off without patches, than there is pretty much nothing hangar 13 and the other developers can do about it.

Edited by westersburg
  • Like 1

Today i read an interview between PC Games and Alex Cox (Associate Game Director at Hangar 13). He confirmed, what i really hoped but probably a few of you won't like. There are NO sidemissions in the Mafia remake.They didn't want to change the feeling of the game so they decided to only expand the story narrative wise in terms of adding additional dialogue, cutscenes, character backgrounds etc. As i already mentioned a few weeks earlier, sarah will get more screentime for example. Gameplaywise there was nothing new after watching the gameplay reveal yesterday.

He also mentioned the infamous race mission. The original difficulty was really hard (already downgraded it in the original with a patch that added different difficulties). In the remake it will be pretty similar. You can chose between the original difficutly and separate difficulty models. If you still don't manage to succeed, the game will even give you the option to skip the race entirely after a few failed attemps, so nobody has an excuse for stopping to play the game there :D. Oh and they reduced the amount of laps from 5 to 3.

For the german readers, you can read the interview here: https://www.pcgames.de/Mafia-Definitive-Edition-Spiel-72751/Specials/Interview-mit-Alex-Cox-Associate-Game-Director-bei-Hangar-13-1354558/

Edited by westersburg
  • Like 2

I really enjoyed the original and I’ll probably get this although I’m not excited as I was for it when it was announced.

graphically it looks amazing but I am not keen on the new voice acting of characters. My main issue is with Paulie who looks like he has had a complete personality overhaul

3 hours ago, parkerdip said:

I really enjoyed the original and I’ll probably get this although I’m not excited as I was for it when it was announced.

graphically it looks amazing but I am not keen on the new voice acting of characters. My main issue is with Paulie who looks like he has had a complete personality overhaul

agree. I never played the original on english but it seems that he has a complete other mood than in the original :/ Hope it fits on its own way and the rest is fine