Mafia 1 Definitive Edition (September 25)

To be completely honest, I can't remember if I liked the first one or not. I do recall enjoying the second one. However, the third one was a glitched pile of trash that had me wanting to pull my hair out. Now that I am hearing its the same people making this one, I am a little nervous. I think I will wait for it to come out and see if there are any issues before buying it. I just don't want to take any chances. I really enjoy these types of games, especially the time period. I guess the best thing to do is to hope for the best but expect the worst. 

13 hours ago, StressEater said:

To be completely honest, I can't remember if I liked the first one or not. I do recall enjoying the second one. However, the third one was a glitched pile of trash that had me wanting to pull my hair out. Now that I am hearing its the same people making this one, I am a little nervous. I think I will wait for it to come out and see if there are any issues before buying it. I just don't want to take any chances. I really enjoy these types of games, especially the time period. I guess the best thing to do is to hope for the best but expect the worst. 

It probably sounds like I'm trying to defend Hangar 13 and Mafia 3 but Mafia 3 was rushed and 2k forced them to release it early. Mafia 1 isnt that rushed so they'll have probably more time for polishing this time. If this game doesn't have any major bugs and comes close to the original (maybe even surpasses it :O) than this will be a contestant for GOTY or even more.

On 7/28/2020 at 9:10 PM, StressEater said:

The only thing I remember from the first one is the car refueling (first time I saw it) and that cars handled like trash (me coming from Gran Tourismo :D) - tried M1 at a friend's place

Second one is amazing but the "remaster" was completely F'd, which is a shame since the game is amazing. M3 I found ok. Just ok. Playing on release.

Have hopes for M1, here the physical copy is 30€ and there's nothing (major) new coming out until CP2077 anyway.

I don't think H13 has much goodwill with the players after the remaster debacles, this has to be good - for their sake and for the sake of the franchise; hopefully Mafia 4 on PS5.

12 hours ago, ziggypossum said:

Below is a map of Lost Heaven as it appears in Mafia: Definitive Edition

dl3jUf0.jpg

Hopefully a physical version of this map comes with the physical version of the game. Map is thankfully mostly the same as it was in the originals. They changed some district names and widened the country area. Also the country area can be visited with no extra loading and the whole map is available from the beginning (in the original you had to unlock chinatown and the countryside through story progress).

They changed a few buildings, the population etc but thats fine since the original didnt have that many citizens.

They changed the layout and size of the airport pretty drastically, regarding size it seems to be more realistic. However, it bugs me a little that the runway is so close to the hospital, train tracks and Terranova Bridge. Doesn't seem super realistic. The road to the countryside and the airport is now one street to the west, narrowing it even further. There seems to be enough space to rotate the runway clockwise and pull it a little bit north. But yeah, let's see how it turns out in the actual game.

Besides from that I'm pretty happy with the layout. First thing to check: What happens if you drive off the map on the big highway in the north? ?

18 minutes ago, woggly4 said:

They changed the layout and size of the airport pretty drastically, regarding size it seems to be more realistic. However, it bugs me a little that the runway is so close to the hospital, train tracks and Terranova Bridge. Doesn't seem super realistic. The road to the countryside and the airport is now one street to the west, narrowing it even further. There seems to be enough space to rotate the runway clockwise and pull it a little bit north. But yeah, let's see how it turns out in the actual game.

Besides from that I'm pretty happy with the layout. First thing to check: What happens if you drive off the map on the big highway in the north? 1f605.png

Oh wow, your memory is pretty good. Didn't even recognize these things. Iirc the original didnt even have a map of the countryside right? When you were in "City mode" it said sth like out of map and could you even press tab when you were in countryside mode?

Cant wait for this, it looks great, i wonder if the freeride extreme mode is in this version, if i remembered correct  you unlocked it after completing the story,at least in the pc version i played the ps 2 version had a grand Prix type racing part instead i Think. have they Said anything about  freeride extreme? Sorry for my bad spelling in English

Edited by Robxxin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, westersburg said:

Oh wow, your memory is pretty good. Didn't even recognize these things. Iirc the original didnt even have a map of the countryside right? When you were in "City mode" it said sth like out of map and could you even press tab when you were in countryside mode?

Haha, yeah, I played M1 like 10 times. Second thing I noticed was the direct connection coming from the tunnel to the Giuliano Bridge, in the original you always had to make a sharp turn. :D 

IIRC there was no countryside map in game at all. However, the countryside (or parts of it?) were printed on the physical map in a little zoomed-out windowed view.

5 hours ago, woggly4 said:

Haha, yeah, I played M1 like 10 times. Second thing I noticed was the direct connection coming from the tunnel to the Giuliano Bridge, in the original you always had to make a sharp turn. :D 

IIRC there was no countryside map in game at all. However, the countryside (or parts of it?) were printed on the physical map in a little zoomed-out windowed view.

ah yes remember the physical map. I know what you mean with the bridge. They added the little marked street.

unknown.png

I don't know if someone mentioned it already but I just realized that the originally planned release date is exactly 18 years after the classic release in 2002 (US): 28th August. Pretty cool detail if you ask me. But I'm wondering why no one from 2K or H13 highlighted this, or did they already know they couldn't make that date when announcing the trilogy? Would have been hilarious if the delayed release would be 6th September (18 years after the EU release). :D

56 minutes ago, woggly4 said:

I don't know if someone mentioned it already but I just realized that the originally planned release date is exactly 18 years after the classic release in 2002 (US): 28th August. Pretty cool detail if you ask me. But I'm wondering why no one from 2K or H13 highlighted this, or did they already know they couldn't make that date when announcing the trilogy? Would have been hilarious if the delayed release would be 6th September (18 years after the EU release). :D

Yeah i noticed that from the beginning. From a technical perspective it would have been best, if they had released the mafia 3 definitive edition aka the free dlcs in may, mafia 1 remake in september, since they couldnt finish it in time for the 28th august and the mafia 2 remaster on august 27th. This would have been enough time to polish the game and would have spared us the desaster that happened on may 19th. Also august 27th would have been the 10th anniversary for mafia 2...

Edited by westersburg

While I definitely have my doubts with Hangar 13 developing/2K publishing this remake, after Mafia 3 came out in such a buggy state and the Mafia 2 remaster didn't fare much better... this is still a day one purchase for me.  Mafia 1 was one of my all time faves and if it sticks to the linear, narrative focus of the original I'll probably enjoy it even with the bugs.  Ideally they've improved the engine and learned a few things from Mafia 3 but I guess we'll see.  And my biggest complaint with Mafia 3 was the repetitive open world fluff stretching 2 hours of narrative into 30 hours of gameplay, which it doesn't sound like they're doing here thankfully.

On 7/29/2020 at 4:13 PM, Valkirye22 said:

The only thing I remember from the first one is the car refueling (first time I saw it) and that cars handled like trash (me coming from Gran Tourismo :D)

In the games defense, it was based in 1920-1930... so that was probably intentional. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

To be honest I think the handling is fine. It's more like a simulation than an arcade driving style. Breakes were weak in the game but that was probably the case back then. Although it was more difficult to handle, the driving mechanics were way better than the ones of the older gtas (2001-2005) imo.

Edited by westersburg

• 3 weeks later...

We got new information yesterday about the classic difficulty. They tried to keep it similar to the OG PC Version but made the race a bit easier. They indirectly announced the first trophy: Beating the game on classic difficulty. Some key features of this mode:

- Taking significantly more damage (maybe like mafia 1 OG mode, where a shotgun blast could kill you instantly at point blank)

- health regen almost removed (only regenerates from 1-20%) and medikits restore less health. The OG one didn't have health regen at all and medikits restored various amount of health.

- driving mode is set to simulation. Looks like you can choose between arcade and simulation playstyle like mafia 2. The OG one was more simulation than arcade.

- Reloading wastes non used bullets. For example if you reload a gun with 15 rounds left, you throw away these 15 bullets. This was the same in the 2002 Version.

- Police is set to OG mode. Police will punish you for passing red lights, speeding (even if it's just 1 km/h), crashing with cars etc.

- Minimap shows less detail (no enemies) and GPS doesn't show any direction signs.

The race doesn't have the same difficulty as it had in the original version, but will be more challenging than lower difficulty settings.

Source: https://mafiagame.com/news/mafia-definitive-edition-classic-difficulty/

Personally i really love the features of the mode and would have played the game this way anyways, even if it didn't include a trophy for it. Personally i don't get why people are still complaining about the race's difficulty. In the current game version (default on steam) you already have several difficulty settings which make this race super easy. I don't know the OG difficulty though. I'm up for a challenge but expect it to be easier anyways, because i've just played this race with a keyboard and not with a controller. Keyboard racing sucks.

Edited by westersburg
  • Like 2