A PS4 game you unexpectedly really enjoyed?

Lord_Azrath

Hi!

Anyone recently brought a PS4 game they were on the fence about, thought they wouldn't enjoy, but ended up LOVING the game?

For me, I brought Sayonara Wild Hearts a while back, since it was featured on the Editor's Choice. The description (Sayonara Wild Hearts is a dreamy arcade game about riding motorcycles, skateboarding, dance battling, shooting lasers, wielding swords, and breaking hearts at 200 mph) and screenshots made me REALLY iffy.

However, due to quarantine, I brought it, played it, and I love the game!

Anyone else experience something similar?

• Like 2

For me Injustice 2

I never really liked fighting games (expect Def Jam Fight For NY, Super Smash Bro’s Melee on the GC)

i played the first 1 very quickly on PS Now and hate it, but idk why I saw the 2 on sale at some point and I just grabbed it and really liked it !got ok and beat a lot of dudes which seemed impossible at the beginning I still suck at combos and always will.

pretty proud of getting the platinum as it was a BIG pain in the ass, the Cat Call trophy, ugh gosh !

Edited by HopDreama
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, UltraFire121 said:

Marvel's Spiderman.

I haven't played the game yet. But I do love exhilarating heights and new signature moves and there's more to brag it i'll say here.

Yeah, I just started playing this a few weeks back and it's fantastic! 

For mine, I know it gets a lot of hate, but I really liked the gameplay of Knack.  Looking forward to trying the second one sometime soon!  And my first ever platinum, which was about a month ago was The Wolf Among Us, which I had zero expectations of coming into it and loved it!

Edited by FFATMA
  • Like 2

I know it says "A game", but I have to many games on the ps4 that I unexpectedly enjoyed this year so far...like Persona 5, song of memories, bioshock, uncharted..so I tend to go all over the place as I would have too many to choose from ? But I mean, if you asked me what my favourite steam game is, I'd say Doki Doki literature club in a heartbeat

• Like 1

I didn't expect to enjoy Monster Hunter World as much as I did, given my only experience with the series was maybe a half hour of Monster Hunter 3 which I didn't enjoy at all. I'm honestly not sure why I decided to pick it up, even though I did hear good things. I ended up putting around 500 hours into it, getting the plat, and getting one trophy away from the Iceborne plat to match it.

Lots of them some that come to my mind are:

Nioh: I played the called "souls like" genre games and I don't dislike them but it's not my favorite either so when the gave Nioh in the Plus I wasn't expecting to much from the formula but my maaaan I was totally mistaken I don't know why but I loved Nioh. 

The mission and not connected world, the weapons, the japannese lore all of that took me in and now I freaking love the game one of the plats I more enjoyed to get in the recent years.

Days Gone: I wasn't to hypped for this game but still wanna give it the try cause I'm a zombie killer fan and gotta say this games is not perfect but is really good and fun to play, killing zombies or "freakers" how they call them is just fun and easy in this game and the map and story are pretty enjoying to see and live.

Ratchet and Clank: I was a never a big fan of this two (I grow up with Mario and Crash). But this game took my hearth when I see the charisma and beautiful world that Insomiac made years back a really "mind off" game to enjoy and pass the time.

Metal Gear Solid V: I dislike the game at first but while I got more used to the A LOT of things to do I end it enjoying the most and really wishing there where more games like this in the market.

A tale game Boderlands: Not a big fan of story only games but this one got me really good and also is the one that make interested in the world of pandora and all of Boderlands in general.

Downwell: Got if for free and love it for free.

Honorable mention to:

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2020 state)

The Witcher 3

Edited by NordicSaiyan
  • Like 3

Day's Gone. It wasn't high on my list. All the trailers I seen leading up to it didn't do it justice. I just wasn't impressed. Shortly after it came out I had a chance to get it for half price and I am glad I did. I loved the game. It is one of the best this gen imo.

I can say the same for The Last of Us part II. I wasn't a fan of the first game but bought the second one anyway, and I am glad I did. I am loving it so far. Despite all the hate it is getting, I am enjoying it so far.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, FFATMA said:

For mine, I know it gets a lot of hate, but I really liked the gameplay of Knack.  Looking forward to trying the second one sometime soon!  And my first ever platinum, which was about a month ago was The Wolf Among Us, which I had zero expectations of coming into it and loved it!

Both good choices, especially Knack which I ended up really liking.

But to mention a new one: Children of Morta. Bought it at the recommendation of a friend for some couch co-op and let it sit for ~5% for several months. Finally sat down to finish it up and really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

inFamous Second Son without doubt. I had played the first one years before and hated it to the point of dropping. Second Son was on sale or on plus, dont remember, I saw the powers on a video and found interesting and decided to give a try, and the game is incredible fun. Running around and fighting using neon and smoke is amazing, and the game is really pretty.

• Like 2

Theres 2 for me personally and both very different games.

Star Wars Battlefront 2. 

Didnt pick it up at the start, im sure the microtransactions were a pain but as someone that started playing like 8 months ago, the game is incredible as a casual shooter.

The characters are great, the graphics look amazing and theres enough variance in the gamemodes that you dont really get bored.

Also, as much as people rail on it, i thought the story, short as it was, was great. Loved the characters and the whole good/bad side.

The Order: 1886.

This game cost me $7. I can completely understand why people that spent $40+ on it will hate on it and stuff.

For the price i paid though, its one of my favorites of this generation. Its very short but it leaves me wanting soooo much more.

Its probably my favorite new 'world' to explore. The worldbuilding it packs into the 10 hours is incredible, theres so much information to read and learn about the history if you slow down and experience it. The London Steampunk setting is fantastic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sagaan said:

My name is mayo - best game of the universe, i felt like heeman while playin such a masterpiece.

It was so good I played it twice!  A game for the hall of fame for sure!

Edited by FFATMA
  • Like 2

Has to be Granblue Fantasy Versus. I researched it beforehand as with every game and i thought this seems like a decent fighting game to play and I straight away loved it. The combat the music the artwork. It was all beautiful and it was very fun to play as well as a fun easy Platinum ?

Currently playing Ghost Recon Wildlands, and I could say didn't expected it is so well done. Last time have played something Tom's was a Rainbow Six on PS1, lol, and Splinter Cell obviously. Before starting a demo had thoughts, why people recommend it for hardcore military experience and good tactical fun, when it seems just another pew pew Call of Duty or similar. But, damn, after four hours of demo just loved the game. Setting is great, map is huge but not that empty, huge for action. And every district just like a new area, sometimes you even don't feel that this is one island, and could have nice gorgeous views of every possible taste. Sometimes this just not feels like Bolivia. 

Possibilities are many, approaches are all improvisation, enemies are all unpredictable and tough, gun all sound just amazing, and feels very good. Course game has some flaws, but they all minor and don't ruin the general experience. Really happy to find out about this game, believe that I could just skip it eternally with all this reputation of console shooters to be made for a school boy:). 

Also multiplayer is very well done, haven't had pvp yet, expect there will be something disbalanced to moan about, but coop just a blast. Even if team of not your favorite kind of approach, you still can have your own fun your own way, supporting the general plan. 

And this couldn't be a bad game, if it has Dark Souls Easter egg in it. 

Edited by Bloodytears1666
  • Like 1