A PS4 game you unexpectedly really enjoyed?

Lord_Azrath

I only or mostly buy the games I really wanted but the one I got via ps plus or completely free is where I got my out of the blue surprise.

so far on ps4 there's only two games for me.

Bioshock Remastered. I skipped this game back then on the ps3 because I got bored of FPS games at that time, then it became a ps4 plus game and I decided to give it a shot and now It's one of my favorite games ever, I thought it's your typical cover base shooter with monsters and super humans but it went far deeper than that, now I wanted to redeem myself and get the ps3 version and now it's hard to find on disc and the digital version is around $20 to $18 which I think it's a bit too much especially after playing the buttery smooth Remastered version, I'm so pissed now that the sequels BS2 and infinite is nothing like the first game especially infinite which is a mindless action shooter than the deep game play of the first game, guess they did that to made the game appeal to the COD crowds.

Genshin Impact. was very hyped about it when it first shown, then I started to lost interest when I learn it will be an online only game as my Internet was definitely not even decent especially after my horrible input delay festival experience with Path of Exile on my brother's account, then I started to hate it even more when they said it will be a free to play since it's no longer going to be the single player game that I wanted it to be, and after the game released I just ignore it for monthes until one day I decided to try it a bit... now I absolutely loves it! runs really well ( no input delays ) even with a poor Internet connection, and surprisingly it's actually a single player game first and online co-op second ( online co-op is optional ) though no can do to play it offline because they wanted that stupid gotcha mechanic to be one of the main important feature which I didn't liked at all, the game is not perfect as a simple idea of leveling up require a lots of resources to be used and even worse especially when it comes to uncapped the characters levels, Mihoyo did that on purpose just to force people to put real money to level their character faster without the grind this made sense since this is originally a mobile game, though regardless I liked the game now and been playing it almost every day.

Edited by yellowwindow7
  • Like 1

A few possibilities here;

Ziggurat was a game I tried just because it was on PS Now; I am a fan of roguelikes, and it became one of my favorite roguelikes. It has this fantastic mix of roguelike gameplay, magic weaponry, and Quake / UT-like movement, making for what feels like an arena shooter roguelike. Absolute gem of a game and I can't wait for 2, which I will very proudly add to my platinum collection.

The Swords of Ditto I was really hesitant about because of the consistent 6/10 reviews and a lot of people on Reddit not liking it (I'll often look up opinion threads there while researching games), and yet every time I saw gameplay of it the music and the art style captivated me. I finally saw it on sale for 7.50 and said, "fuck it", and bought it, and it, again, is one of my favorite roguelikes of all time, even moreso than Ziggurat. One of the few games I immediately wanted to replay after finishing, and that's having completed seven (I forget) playthroughs for the platinum.

Outer Wilds I originally thought was a the Outer Worlds rip off, and then once I saw the banner art I just assumed it was an artsy 2D indie game; it was only recently that I picked it up and played it, and... wow. One of the best games I've ever played. I've said it before and I'll say it again; it's a game that not only is mechanically near-perfect, but has a strong message it's trying to convey, and which it conveys well (even if I don't interpret it the same way most people do.)

I wasn't sure about Ikenfell since the trailers I'd seen didn't make it that obviously appealing to me, but I wanted to get it because it seemed like a charming little indie game and it had music by the Steven Universe musicians; the writing and characters are top notch, however, and it quickly became my favorite game of 2020. Reminds me of a lot of Magical Starsign, an RPG on DS that I adored and which almost nobody knows about. 

• Like 1

I’ve bought a lot of weird games recently because they were pretty easy to plat and they were massively discounted. 
One in particular was Ugly Dolls: An Imperfect Adventure. Such a stupid looking game but I honestly really enjoyed it. The art style was really childish and simple but I liked it. I don’t even know why I enjoyed it but I did 

• Like 1