A PS4 game you unexpectedly really enjoyed?

Lord_Azrath

Dying Light for me. Weirdly enough i had never heard of it and i was at a friends house who had the game. case looked like just another generic zombie game but it was suprisingly good. And the following DLC is totally worth getting too.

• Like 1

Trails of Cold Steel. When I was watching Persona 5 videos (mostly the romances I hadn't bothered with), I kept getting recommendations from the same youtuber of the ToCS dance scenes at the end of the game. I watched them, and decided to give the game a shot, maybe it would be decent.

By now I teared up when one of the characters smiled for like the first time in the game. it was, suffice to say, more than decent.

• Like 3

I know they're both really popular but I didn't expect to like either Rocket League or Minecraft. 

I really enjoyed getting the 100% on RL, and decided to play Minecraft on Vita and Ps3 as well. I actually regret using the trophy world for a bunch of my PS4 trophies because I enjoyed doing nearly everything myself on ps3/vita. 

• Like 1

For me it's at least a couple, mostly bought on a whim and/or recommendation from a friend.

Dead Cells: found it on a local store used, practically new and with the artbook on the case. Barely knew what it was about, but the art style caught my eye. Never played such an amazing roguevania.

Monster Hunter World: a friend plays them since the PSP, but I never got into it due to the platform. Never tried it on PS2, and since I was already on the way to buy a PS4, this one seemed nice.

Nights of Azure: an used copy sat for weeks on the shelves of one of my favorite stores, so I bought it. Still playing it from time to time.

Bladestorm: Nightmare: same story as Nights of Azure, but it was even cheaper.

Shining Resonance: Refrain: I was curious about the game, and last year got me the Draconic Edition. It's nice, but haven't dedicated too much time to play it.

Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy: the only Crash experience I had as a kid was CTR, so this one was the perfect chance to play the classics.

Sleeping Dogs, Anima: Gate of Memories, Tokyo Xanadu eX+: bought them mostly due to some "special edition cravings", but the games surprised me in a good way.

• Like 2

One game that comes to mind for me was Dragons Crown Pro. I saw the game at my local store with the steelcase and character cards and thought that the art style looked amazing. Bought it without knowing what kind of game it is and was a bit disappointed - 2D sidescroll games aren't what I usually play. But holy moly, that game blew me away! Never expected such a good game and loved every minute of it ?

Edited by neko-chan251191
  • Like 1

Metal Gear Survive. That was a gift from my wife (she even made that trollface when she gifted it to me). BUT game turns out to be good, once you finish stupid story possible for Metal Gear game. I've spend about 400 hours in it, sadly they stopped with updates and left some things unreleased, such a shame tbh because game is really good at some points.

• Like 1

I have two.

Plague Tale innocence - Got it for my birthday and had never heard of it. Awesome game. Really a hidden gem

Terminator Salvation - Avoided this because the games are always bad and the movie was awful. Picked it up in the sale and was amazed how good it really is. 

• Like 3

Control- Got it for free off of PS Now and have been really enjoying it. I was hesitant at first because of some mixed reviews but glad I gave it a chance

Spec Ops The Line- Another freebie that was on Plus years ago. At first it seemed like a run of the mill shooter but that's kinda the point. I won't go too much into details because of spoilers but the game is amazing and if you haven't tried it yet do yourself a favor and check it out. For sure will leave a lasting impact on you

Telltale TWD- Mostly tried it because the first episode was free. Going in I thought I wouldn't like it because I never really got into the tv show aside from a few episodes here and there but the game is great from the first season to the last.

Edit: Wasn't really paying attention that the topic title said PS4 only but I still stand by my choices since they were games that I unexpectedly enjoyed

Edited by CaptainJeff87

Typically speaking I only buy games I am really interested in and I skip over most of the PS+ games.

But one gem I found from plus, was Titanfall 2. I had been craving a good FPS campaign and it delivered. I didn't really get into the MP but SP was great just wished it was a little longer and hope one day there is a 3 because it looks like Killzone is dead.

Honorable mention, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.

For me its Hellblade. I bought the game a couple of years ago because the devs were donating all proceeds charity, but I wasn't really interested at the time. I finally decided to play it last December because I had some free time around Christmas. 

Hellblade simply blew me away. It awoke me to the opportunities that gaming as a medium has over, say, movies or books. Without spoiling anything, the final battle and how it ties into the game's mechanics was simply brilliant. Its development is also fascinating: I really like how they really took a lot of feedback from people who have experienced psychosis and made a sincere efforts to depict the condition as faithfully as possible. I really hope the sequel won't be a microsoft exclusive forever.

• Like 2

minecraft. I never understood what people liked about this game. I still don't, but I'm one of them with over 200 hours played now.

no man's sky. zero expectations, but boy, how relaxing is this game... nothing beats exploring uncharted planets after a taxing day at work.

earth defence force 4.1. brainless entertainment, no storyline, but such a nice community and a lot of fun.

Agents of Mayhem is one I bought for dirt cheap and ended up liking more than I thought I would.

It's no Saints Row (same dev) but it has a lot of different characters with unique abilities that were a lot of fun to use! Kinda felt like playing through a cheesy Saturday morning cartoon.

• Like 2

Spyro - I never liked Crash or cared about Spyro back in the day (I was an N64 guy but my brother had the PS1 so I got the best of both) I still don’t like Crash at all but I was blown away with the graphics and praise the Spyro remaster was getting so decided to buy it, I have only completed the first so far but it was absolutely fantastic and really took me back to the old style platforming games of childhood. I realised I was smiling the whole time playing it and for that alone I can’t praise this game enough ?

• Like 1

The Wolf Among Us.

Bought the game during a PSN sale, not knowing anything about it or the source material. Came away loving it and the characters. Now I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel, but thankfully, I bought the game just last year so my wait isn't quite as long as fans who got it at or near launch.

• Like 2

It's rare that I unexpectedly like a game simply because I can tell by gameplay vids if I will like it and I almost never blind buy games. (White Knight Chronicles and Port Royale 3 fucked me up on that front...)

Years ago I picked up Metro Redux because it was cheap as hell. Figured it would be just another shooter I'll play it for fun, whatever. 2033 ended up being my favorite FPS of all time and once I finished Last Light I wanted more. With Exodus out and done I want even more lol.

Titanfall 2. Again...years later...I made the same dumb mistake thinking "eh it's just a shooter I'll shoot some stuff maybe try to plat it. free on ps+ it's not like I'm losing money here." Well it ended up being my favorite FPS in terms of gameplay. It was so smooth and so much fun to simply navigate. Would love to see Titanfall 3.

I don't really count this one, but Assassin's Creed Origins. This time I knew what I was getting myself into but I didn't expect to be as into the new gameplay mechanics as I was likely due to the fact that I was also able to customize combat controls. Having revisited older titles with their remasters I can honestly say the older games just feel...clunky. 

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle
  • Like 2