A PS4 game you unexpectedly really enjoyed?

Lord_Azrath

Not sure if it counts but... Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords. 

It is a PS2 game ported on PS4 and it is basically candy crush or bejewelled with a storyline and RPG mechanics. I played almost all Warlord games on PC (strategy games set in the world of Etheria) so I was uuu need to pick this one up too for the measly price of... 2 dollars? 3? Idk i sacrificed a mcdonalds chicken burger for this game. 

I friggin loved it. Never would I have expected to enjoy comboing candy pebbles in order to inflict damage to a skeleton avatar. Game is really good, give it a go(no platinum, only 100% available) 

I bought Star Wars Episode I: Racer yesterday (it was a spontaneous purchase) and I ended up really liking it.

Of course the graphics are outdated but the gameplay is a lot of fun.

There is another game I bought recently which surprised me: Beyond Blue.

I knew I'd like it because I love the ocean, but I didn't think I would love it that much. I couldn't stop playing.

Edited by anotherfangirl

Got a huge kick out of Papers Please when it was free on PS+ end of 2018.

More recently, I’m hugely enjoying Beholder for similar reasons - don’t know quite why the plight of government workers in heavily militarised and monitored worlds is so enjoyable to play in, but there it is. Not bad at all for games I bought on the cheap just because their names didn’t sound entirely disinteresting.

I also massively enjoyed Child of Light, but that wasn’t quite so unexpected, as that game style is very much my thing by comparison. Still enjoyed it more than I’d thought on purchase, though, so maybe it belongs here.

• Like 1

Horizon Zero Dawn

Whilst getting into PS4 I watched a couple playthrough videos for this game. Nothing grabbed me and it came off a little boring so I stopped.

When I saw it as part of a decent deal with another title I thought I'd just give it a shot to see if it got better - and good lordy did it ever!

Now one of my favourite games on the system, and can't imagine ever thinking this game could've sucked! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Schalde-1982 said:

Mass effect Andromeda

I was coming here to say this, Mass Effect Andromeda

Once i got the game for dirt cheap, all the patches and hotfixes were there and the game was running smootly. 

I was positively surprised by the amazing gameplay. Seriously, the combat was fantastic, especially on the higher difficulty levels where you had to think before getting in any encounters. Plus the amount of cuztomization for your combat style make it soooo interesting. 

OK, story wise it wasnt up to par with Mass Effect but for the amount of money that game sell now, its def worth it. 

• Like 2

Ha, good topic.

1. Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4) I'm not into heroes and never been but I got this game for free on PS+ and quite enjoyed it. Not a huge fan but the game was nice and it was fun platting this.
  2. Laser League (PS4) I'm a solo player but my friend got me into this game. At first I thought man I won't like this game but some games just become fun with friends. I wouldn't play it on my own though.
  3. Overcooked (PS4) same thing as Laser League.
  4. Stardew Valley (PS4) This was my first "pixel game" and unexpectedly really enjoyed this. This game has made me open up more to other game genres and I started giving games chances that, before this, I wouldn't give the chance. I'm not super duper into these type of games but they're relaxing and fun, no stress and sometimes a relaxing game like this one is needed.

I have a lot more games that I thought would be awesome but I ended up disliking though, lol.

Edited by LoveInHell

For me it was Mad Max.

As a fan of the films, I loved the atmosphere created by the game and all the little details present throughout.

Customizing the car and blowing up other cars in slow mo is a blast and there’s a neat resource management aspect to it as well. Like bullets are super limited so you’ve got to be smart about when you use them and your car can run out of gas and water is strewn about the map as a health potion equivalent. Also the Arkham style combat is nice and the boss fights are fun.

Idk, I didn’t mind the game getting a little repetitive as some people have criticized. If you know what you’re getting, it’s a total blast and it definitely surprised me.

• Like 1

Have a few. 

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor: I'm not a LOTR fan, at all. So I bought this purely on word of mouth that you don't have to be a LOTR nut to enjoy it. But even then I still didn't expect to get the game that we did. I had an absolute blast with it and stand by my notion that the Nemesis System could really change gaming as a whole if every developer had free reign to it. Shadow of War however, I found disappointing...gameplay was still solid, Nemesis was still on point...but they padded the game with so much tedium.  

BioShock: I played BioShock 2 and Infinite on PS3 years ago when they came to PS+...enjoyed them, but was never super high on them like a lot of people. I bought the first game on PS3 but never got around to it...so just ended up getting the Remaster collection instead to play the first game. While a little dated in some aspects...the game was just sooooo good. Far and wide better than the other two (though I still have them to re-play so that opinion could change). 

Days Gone: This one wasn't much thinking I would dislike it before buying it. I just hated the first 8-10 hours. I was so ungodly bored that I started to regret the purchase...then the game opened up, I got better at it and suddenly its charms started to shine. I had such a memorable moment with a Horde about mid-way through...it's one of those gaming stories I could tell forever. And I don't think I've ever been so attached to a vehicle in game before...that Bike was my baby!

Dying Light: Didn't think I would like this because I didn't care much for Dead Island and figured just adding in some parkour to the existing formula wasn't going to suddenly make me like it. And I thought I was right at first...it was the same back and forth structure, same fetch quest ideals, same weapon system that felt like they broke too soon...but after like 15 hours of playing, I ended up realizing, the game annoys me a bit...but I couldn't put down! Came to the conclusion...that I want Dying Light 2.

Edited by Viper

On 28.6.2020 at 0:38 PM, dadoudelidou said:

I was coming here to say this, Mass Effect Andromeda

Once i got the game for dirt cheap, all the patches and hotfixes were there and the game was running smootly. 

I was positively surprised by the amazing gameplay. Seriously, the combat was fantastic, especially on the higher difficulty levels where you had to think before getting in any encounters. Plus the amount of cuztomization for your combat style make it soooo interesting. 

OK, story wise it wasnt up to par with Mass Effect but for the amount of money that game sell now, its def worth it. 

Yes i was very surprise after all the bad review. but i hasnt played any of the ME games tho :)

• Like 2

Hmm, I've got a few I guess:

Dead Rising: I played a bit of Dead Rising 2 on PS3 as a kid and it was pretty cool and I saw this in the sales a couple of years back in a bundle so I bought it, I think I played it a bit, moved on to play something else and eventually came back, I then fell in love with the game.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: I had never played this before I played it on PS4, heard good things from people though so I got it. Again, similar to Dead Rising I played it only a little, got annoyed with chasing a guy through tight alleyways on a motorbike and crashing in a mission, left it for a fair bit, came back, loved it. Honestly, great game.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance: Played it recently, it's sorta like a bethesda style RPG but based in 1403 Bohemia. I honestly loved this game a lot. I love RPG's and history so yeah, can't wait for the sequel.

Dark Souls Remastered: I just finished up this game recently, my first ever Souls type game, this game is an absolute masterpiece! The gameplay and story are just so great! The PVP sucks ass but the PVE is great. You'll die, a lot, but for every death you learn something new. If you are up for a challenge and repetitive death then seriously. Play. This. Game.

Mount & Blade: Warband: Not too many people realize this game got a console port, I reckon it's a solid port. There's no mod support but it's still a great game. It's an acquired taste though, very slow paced... I wish I played it more.

Horizon Chase Turbo: I know, weird game along side the rest. It came out free PS+, and gave it a go. I went for the plat and realized it's actually a pretty cool game. I don't really like racing games, probably because when I was a kid I HATED losing, but this little arcade racer type game is pretty cool.

• Like 1

Assassins Creed Syndicate. Played Ass 2 on my ps3 years ago and didn't like it at all. Fast forward 9 years and gave the series another go. Really enjoyed it, so much so I borrowed my sons copy of odyssey straight after and got 100% on that as well. Looking forward to Valhalla now. 

The Yakuza games,

I had given them a shot maybe just over a year ago with Kiwami and couldn’t really get into it but earlier this year I watched a streamer play Yakuza Zero and enjoyed watching so much it made me want to play it myself.

I bought Zero and absolutely fell in love with it, and now I’m on my way to getting the Kiwami 2 platinum.

• Like 1