A PS4 game you unexpectedly really enjoyed?

Lord_Azrath

Monster Hunter World for sure.

I only bought it because my friend wanted to play it co-op together. The first few times I played it, I didn't really like it. It felt clunky and the hunts didn't feel rewarding at all. There were so many confusing features that were poorly explained. Only after the 10 hour mark did I start to appreciate the simple core gameplay loop: hunt a monster, use those parts to make stronger gear, and then hunt some more monsters. I got better with the controls for my weapon and I really started having fun with the game. It's one of my favorite games on the PS4 now. Even though I don't understand many of the systems the game has, I just ignore those features (like the bug catching / fishing) and focus on the fun parts like hunting and crafting.

On Ps4 i would have to say Persona 5, Ys 8, Tokyo Xanadu Ex and because of the second two i looked up extra info on them and saw the Name Trails of Cold Steel repeatedly pop up so i went a bought Cold Steel 1 enjoyed that thourougly so preceded to buy the Cold Steel 2 and then Cold Steel 3 when it came out and have Pre-ordered Cold Steel 4, I'm actually cursing my self that i came to the overall Legend of Heroes series so late. (Really hope we get western releases for the Crossbell Duology and a Remastered Sky Trilogy).

I would probably have to add most VN's as well and also because of Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek most Hidden Object Games.

Although it was on Ps3 i would also add Yakuza 3 because not only did i get really into that game it also got me into the Yakuza series as whole and have all the games released in the Uk apart from the original versions of 1 and 2, and unlike most people i actually enjoy Dead Souls, Wish they would release the two Feudal Japan yakuza's in the West.

Gravity Rush Remastered - The way this series just breaks the rules of gravity as this adventure x action x platformer hybrid, really tickled my neurons because in all my years of gaming, the character would be aligned in one way in the world. And that was only the beginning of what these games have to offer.

• Like 2

I'd have to say Fallout 76.

With all the hate the game got I stayed away from it for almost a year and a half, but managed to pick it up stupidly cheap during one of the PS sales and thought what the hell, this was a few months prior to the Wastelanders update. Once the patch hit I finally decided to launched the game and OMG i ended up loving it so much I actually played nothing else until the platinum was mine.

In the end this ended up to be placed much higher than FO4 which in my eyes was kind of mediocre, not bad but not good either.

Recently... The Town of Light

It was always at varying levels of cheap in the ps store and the screenshots just looked naff. 

In my opinion, as a "walking sim", it's only slightly behind Everybody's gone to the Rapture and I'm a little biased towards that one, because I live in a little village in England. 

Good disturbing engaging story and a fun trophy list to clean up.

Over the past year or so... Yakuza 0. I had no idea how much fun that game, and indeed the whole series is. I've taken screenshots of so many hilarious moments, especially in the sub-stories.

Watch Dogs 2 which I actually just finished last night.

I'd heard for years how bad the first one was so I'd paid the series no heed at all. I was recently looking for something fun to play after the disappointment of TLoU II & came across the Gold Edition in the sale & noticed there was a demo. I played about 5 minutes of the demo & the story was enough to get me interested so I bought the full version there and then.

I cannot remember the last time I had so much fun just messing around & screwing with npcs in an open world game. The story was good , I found all aspects of the gameplay enjoyable, even the driving was good which often sucks in open world games.

I've gone from having no interest in the Watch Dogs series to having Watch Dogs Legion now on my must buy list, funny how things change.

Just started Star Wars Battlefront 2 and I normally hate multiplayer games but I must say I'm having an absolute blast (pun intended) on it. I'm really enjoying the single player but the multiplayer is really fun also. Hope I can keep this enthusiasm as I go for the exceptionally time consuming plat. 

• Like 1

For me it was "Late shift"

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6042-late-shift

I could play it thx to a friend, i would (at that time ^^) never buy a game like this.

But because i could do it for free, with an easy play, i just motivated myself to go for it

And it was a very nice surprise !

I wouldn't think i would enjoy a game where ... well ... you don't really play ... but more a film where you choose next action !

But the story is really great, and i really recommand this "game" to everyone, you will spend a nice time and platinum is not hard at all :) 

• Like 2

Fortnite.

Once you get past the first few areas, the game becomes too difficult for the kids. Makes for a pretty in depth tower defense game, all things considered. There aren't that many games in the genre, where you'll have to deal with random spawn locations and a bunch of enemy types that use different mechanics. Try and get past Twine Peaks Endurance and you'll start to appreciate how much strategy actually goes into the game.

Edited by VigilantCrow
  • Like 1

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - I'd seen it on the PlayStation store, but I just assumed it was a Persona clone. I decided to give it a go when it was on sale and it has become one of my favourite game series. In a way I'm glad I didn't get into the series until recently because it means I didn't have to wait long until the third game. Cannot wait for the fourth game.

Edited by Bentleyma-

Mafia 3. I knew it had a reputation for how repetitive it was, and it’s something I definitely agree with and can become very dull at times. Other than that, I surprisingly really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun with it. I thought the individual missions (such as where you’re taking out each of the different underbosses) were a breath of fresh air, and they nailed the setting of the game as well as the narrative and characters. Recently returned to it to do the dlc and really enjoyed that too. The criticism it gets is warranted but it’s still a good game nonetheless.

• Like 1

Valiant Hearts: It was free on psplus years back, did not look like much and had the vile Ubisoft name attached. Played it anyway because it was free, enjoyed it a lot, got invested in the characters and the ending hit pretty hard.

Bastion: Also a free psplus game, looked like it might be fun but honestly only played it because it was a good excuse not to continue another game that was giving me a really hard time back then, did not expect much of it. It ended up being one of the better games on my list, it was fun, challenging, had great humour, an amazing atmosphere and it didn't drag itself out too long. Soundtrack for this game was amazing too.

Alien Isolation: I knew Alien was at least a decent game, but I did not know whether I'd enjoy it or not. Past Alien games were complete shit, like Aliens Colonial Marines, making me associate the Alien with a very bad game. The game was made by Creative Assembly, a strategy game developer I used to love but lost most respect for due to the last games of them really not being good, and the fact that this was another genre alltogether, did not exactly fill me with confidence in the game. To make things even harder for the game, I am pretty used to horror games, the setting didn't look that scary when compared to a game like Outlast, and this was only a few months after I platinumed Outlast 2, a long and nasty experience that completely desensitized me to anything horror related, or so I thought. Turns out Alien Isolation is a much better horror game than Outlast 2, having a completely different focus, delivering all kinds of dynamic scares I wasn't really expecting and delivering one of the best and most intimidating enemy AIs I have ever seen in a game. I wish more horror games were like this instead of overly relying on cheap jumpscares, definitely a game I can recommend to any horror game fan, but be warned, this game is very stressful to play, in a good way of course but still stressful.

• Like 1

Resident Evil 3: I saw alot of hate towards the Resident Evil 3 remake and was surprised when it turned out to be really good, even though it could borrow alot more content from the PS1 original.

Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition: Got it from plus, didn't know anything about it beforehand and in the end it was a really fun game.

Murdered Soul Suspect: Bought it because it was cheap and an easy plat, turns out the story is really well done and well worth playing.

• Like 1