A PS4 game you unexpectedly really enjoyed?

Lord_Azrath

Terraria. I played it several years back on PS3, and it didn't really click. I had a negative opinion on it 'til I saw that it was on sale during quarantine. Realized later that I loved it and got about 70 hours of playtime until I burned myself out from only playing that game during the weeks that I bought it. I still love the game though.

Nioh. It was a free game for PS Plus, and I had been looking for a new game to play. I started the game up one night, and was almost immediately hooked. Fast forward a few months, and I have platinumed Nioh, I preordered the deluxe edition of Nioh 2 (I haven't preorder any game in more than a decade), and I have branched out into other Soulsborne titles. I have also earned the platinum trophy for Bloodborne, and now Dark Souls Remastered. My goal is earn all the platinum trophies for the main Soulsborne games. :)

On 6/25/2020 at 2:57 PM, Lord_Azrath said:

Hi!

Anyone recently brought a PS4 game they were on the fence about, thought they wouldn't enjoy, but ended up LOVING the game?

For me, I brought Sayonara Wild Hearts a while back, since it was featured on the Editor's Choice. The description (Sayonara Wild Hearts is a dreamy arcade game about riding motorcycles, skateboarding, dance battling, shooting lasers, wielding swords, and breaking hearts at 200 mph) and screenshots made me REALLY iffy.

However, due to quarantine, I brought it, played it, and I love the game!

Anyone else experience something similar?

Getting the platinum in Sayonara wild hearts was a highlight for me this year. Game was so amazing from beginning to end. I wish more people were open mined to give this game a chance. It so good

BattleChasers, a game unknown to me but tried through PSN. A great turn based RPG. 

Arca’s Path, a PSVR game bought for less than £3. Like the best version of Marble Madness ever envisioned.

Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ - OK, given the types of game they make I knew it would be good, but didn’t expect it to be better than Trails of Cold Steel, again on PS Now.

Astro Bot - I heard it was great, but didn’t expect one of the best games ever to be made. A seminal platformer up their with Mario 64 for quality and importance. A must buy.

• Like 1

Watch Dogs

I read a lot of comments and stuff about empty world, boring story and many more I can't remember. ?

So I stayed away from the game until July last year. I picked it up very cheap, used game.

I really like the story so far, I haven't finished it yet. And the online part of the game was interesting as well.

The game mode where you have to be hidden from another player was very funny. It was a great relief when I succeded and when I got spotted, I enjoyed it nontheless.

Cat Quest.

I played the demo and thought it was a cute, charming, and light game. I tend to need something like that in between big/"serious" titles. I thought of it as Skyrim (because the "boss" fights are normally dragons), but short, and full of Khajiit. I love puns and cats, so this game perfectly merges both. 

Ended up loving the first so much, that I recently bought the sequel on sale!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mayellie said:

Cat Quest.

I played the demo and thought it was a cute, charming, and light game. I tend to need something like that in between big/"serious" titles. I thought of it as Skyrim (because the "boss" fights are normally dragons), but short, and full of Khajiit. I love puns and cats, so this game perfectly merges both. 

Ended up loving the first so much, that I recently bought the sequel on sale!

It actually was surprisingly better than I thought it would be. It was recommended to me from a friend and I watched the trailer and pretty much dismissed it. I think it was on sale for less then $5 and so I ended up buying it. It then took me a few months before I even played it. The thing is, I bought the second one first and played it. I enjoyed it enough to go back and play the first one. 

• Like 3

Assassin's Creed Unity!

I saw multiple reviews lamenting the game's performance issues (lag, stuttering, etc.). Years later when I purchased the game on a deep sale, I had no real expectations. I really loved the story (save for the lacklustre ending imo) and I guess there had been patches post-launch, since I only experienced slight stuttering. The online missions were fun and I loved the customization options for Arno.

• Like 2

This to me had to be games outside your "gaming comfort zone", if ya get me. So...

- Killing Floor 2 - I only really play FarCry when it comes to FPS and usually nothing competitive or co-op. This was free on plus iirc and it was awesome. Tight controls and some good enemies. I nearly platted it but real life happened.

- Neverwinter - Bit more in my wheelhouse. For a free game...not just on plus...altho to play it...Regardless its a fun romp especially without paying a penny. Again i nearly platted it (well the original set of trophies) but then real life happened. Last time i looked its got loads more of trophies and the playerbase is dying a little.

- Plague Inc - Its on loads of other platforms inc mobile (ugh) but i had never heard of it. This is way before Covid -19 too. Its primitive gameplay was forgiven as all the odd scenarios it finishes with are really cool. Also their might be the only case of a trophy about Brexit in here. Prophetic sort of

Trackmania Turbo which I’m still playing. 

Heard from a few people that this game becomes boring after a while and even though a lot of folks from my friends list has played it, I never saw anyone get through even 50% of the game. So my expectations were not too high but I wanted to try it out because the gameplay actually seemed kind of fun from looking at reviews and other videos

Yet here I am actually having a blast with this game and still enjoying it. Just have to know when to take breaks once you reach the black series. 

Titanfall 2 probalby is on top of that list.

Well I didn't actually buy it, and I never would have, but it was on PS Plus so I gave it a try and it was great. I Really liked the campaign, Nothing too fancy, sure, but i expected nothing at all and it was fun. I had a good time. But after the campain the game was done for me. 2 MP matches is all I played before I never touched it again

• Like 2

Yakuza series: started with 0 when it was approx 20$ in store but i got it for 15 i think? still didn't really think it was anything other than Japan GTA Beat em up. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of characters plus growth, how you can enter almost every building, that there is TONS of activities to do in such a dense city. There are a few low points of the series but even the low points are still good.

Monster Hunter World: i had never played a Monster Hunter game in my life. I went to pick up DBZFighters and everyone in store kept talking bout MH. My old friend kept talkin about it but ofc he only watches playthroughs and claims he's a gamer.. whatever. Anyways i picked it up a week after release and did some research prior. It started slow,  i found it odd at first how it wasn't exactly isolated battles, (two hunts appeared in same zone at same time lol), but it grew on me very fast. i enjoyed it. I DID want IceBorne but really just don't have the time to play it.

The Evil Within:  i never researched this game. It was 15$ at best buy when i bought it and even then took me awhile to start. While the story is whatever, the gameplay took me back to the RE4,5 Days but with a proper horror element. It scratched an ich i had. It got a sequel eventually, and i wouldn't be shocked to see Evil Within 3 some day.

Days Gone:  Well this is an interesting one. I had little interest in this when it was shown at e3. I figured okay you're gonna be OP that even when freakers hordes get you, youll survive even if barely. But i bought it anyway at launch. Absolutely hated the bugs, the story started so slow, i really just could not come to like it. So i sold it. Got my refund etc. Fast forward to 2020, i buy it again during covid so i had something to play while i waited for Last of Us p2. So i get the game, do a few missions a day, then made it to diamond lake camp and my god did the game ramp everything up to 10. I went from having this game, to really liking it. I platinumed it, my only issues with it were i still encountered 2 or 3 bugs. But it still ran much better than at launch. Texture pop ins though was a pain.

Akiba’s Beat. It’s odd, because I had not expected to like Akiba’s Trip back on PS3, but really enjoyed it.

I had read that Akiba’s Beat was a boring game. I would definitely say that it’s vanilla, but it still resonated with me. I never really tired of it through its plat run, except for having to revisit dungeons to complete quests that yielded minimal rewards.

The weirdest thing about the game was its localization, which relied on numerous references from the 80s and 90s. Simpsons, Seinfeld, and even the song Fish Heads. Odd stuff...

• 2 weeks later...

Tales of the Borderlands for sure. Never played any of the other games. And was my first Telltale game as well. 

So I knew nothing going in and me and my wife laughed our asses off through the whole game. I like many before me have posted I generally research games before getting and playing them but it was free so just went for it. Highly recommend.

Probably Assassn's Creed Origins or Middle-Earth : Shadow of Mordor.  

I am not a fan of the AC franchise but I heard Origins was very different, took me a bit to get into it but I eventually had a great time with it.  

Shadow of Mordor probably one of my biggest surprise, I had so much fun with it and weirdly enough I couldn't get into the sequel, barely touched it and it's still sitting on my shelf.  

Biggest surprise though has to be Titanfall 2's campaign.  I expected the generic FPS campaign but I was blown away by how amazing it is. God damn if it isn't too short but the campaign is absolute quality.  

23 minutes ago, KRIEGLERR said:

Probably Assassn's Creed Origins or Middle-Earth : Shadow of Mordor.  

I am not a fan of the AC franchise but I heard Origins was very different, took me a bit to get into it but I eventually had a great time with it.  

Shadow of Mordor probably one of my biggest surprise, I had so much fun with it and weirdly enough I couldn't get into the sequel, barely touched it and it's still sitting on my shelf.  

Biggest surprise though has to be Titanfall 2's campaign.  I expected the generic FPS campaign but I was blown away by how amazing it is. God damn if it isn't too short but the campaign is absolute quality.  

Oooo I didn't realize Titanfall 2 had a single player mode. Maybe I'll download it out of PlayStation plus. Does it matter I missed the first one?

Edited by Super_Mep

Transistor. I liked Super Giant's art style, but other than dabbling with Bastion on an iPad, I didn't have any expectations of what the game was. Really loved it. It's hard to explain why, it's about the way you have to think through the game play. It's kind of hard to look at it and see why it's fun. But probably in my top 10 PS4 games.

• Like 2