A PS4 game you unexpectedly really enjoyed?

Lord_Azrath

Sonic Forces. I NEVER would have bought this BUT it was free on PS Plus one month. Started it....and got addicted. I even loved the Time Trials. I started seeing if I could break my own records. Still find myself popping back in from time to time. LOVED IT

• Like 2

Hitman (no subtitle)

I've never played a Hitman before.  And stealth is not exactly my forte.  But the way it dumps you into a level and let's you go do whatever, I really liked.  And doing challenges or completing scenarios gave you more toys to play with.  And then in the final level, they took all that away.  It reminded of Syphon Filter: Omega Strain.

Nioh, which also turned out to be my game of the generation.

Bought it back in 2017. I didn't have any Souls-like experience apart from Let It Die back then. But Nioh really struck a cord with me because I love feudal Japan with fantasy elements as a setting and it made me realize I'm a big fan of games with meaningful stats min-maxing. I've played plenty of Souls-likes since then such as Bloodborne and Sekiro, but none of them came close to Nioh for me. Such a great game and really happy the sequel turned out to be just as good.

Honorable mentions: Gravity Rush 1 and 2, Yakuza 0, Dying Light, Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 remakes, God of War 2018

Edited by Asimb0mb

Tales of Symphonia on PS3- I was initially put off by the poor graphics with it become nintendo port, but the game turned out ot be pretty good. The 2D battle system was hard to get used to after having played all the other Tales games, but it wasn't so bad. 

Lightning Returns- was very sceptical with no party members and the whole time limit system, left the game on hold for 2 years. Then decided to tackle the platinum and I ended up really enjoying the game. the garb system was very fun, and being able to customise all your abilities freely. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Tales of Symphonia on PS3- I was initially put off by the poor graphics with it become nintendo port, but the game turned out ot be pretty good. The 2D battle system was hard to get used to after having played all the other Tales games, but it wasn't so bad. 

Lightning Returns- was very sceptical with no party members and the whole time limit system, left the game on hold for 2 years. Then decided to tackle the platinum and I ended up really enjoying the game. the garb system was very fun, and being able to customise all your abilities freely. 

I played Tales of Symphonia when it first came out on the Gamecube back in the early noughties. I became a fan of the series since then. The next game I played was Phantasia on a SNES emulator - the GBA version is shite, tbh.

I never played the updated ps2 version because it wasn't localised. I'm grateful for having the opportunity to play it on the ps3 port.

I know that gamers today struggle with the retro stuff, but I'm glad you appreciate it, Lava, despite its warts.

• Like 1

Horizon Chase Turbo was a PS+ title I saw a bunch of people complaining about, but is easily the free game I've enjoyed the most. Not even really into racing games but everything just clicked and eventually I'll get around to the plat. Just super chill with an excellent soundtrack and a good vibe. 

Falcom games in general- I played Persona 5 and asked on another forum for something else like it and had Tokyo Xanadu Ex recommended. Decided to chance it and wound up really enjoying it more than I expected. Which led to enjoying Ys VIII, and Ys Origin, and Ys Memories of Celceta, and I have the Trails of Cold Steel series ready to go whenever I have the time to dig into a long JRPG. Theres something incredibly earnest about the games they make that I can't really put my finger on but appreciate.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 11:49 PM, Stan Lee said:

Until Dawn.

Intentionally sets itself up as a cringey, clichéd, horny teen horror story.

Turns the tables by evolving into a compelling, terrifying and overall highly enjoyable experience.

Your description may be apt, but I found myself enjoying the first half of the game more!  The cringed, cliched, horny teen horror story was a lot of fun.

When it got into the standard supernatural stuff, while still a good game, I lost some interest.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Your description may be apt, but I found myself enjoying the first half of the game more!  The cringed, cliched, horny teen horror story was a lot of fun.

When it got into the standard supernatural stuff, while still a good game, I lost some interest.

I guess for me I was just like "Yeah, this is exactly what I was expecting" but then shit hit the fan and it threw me for a loop, it went from Scream to Evil Dead

• Like 1

Seasons After Fall. I was in need of a break while trying to beat Hardcore difficulty in Dead Space 2, and SaF was such a relaxing and refreshing game to play. Not too difficult with a simple trophy list to boot. I could take my time with a game that had some truly undeniable atmosphere.

On 6/25/2020 at 2:29 PM, Sagaan said:

My name is mayo - best game of the universe, i felt like heeman while playin such a masterpiece.

call me crazy but im sensing some sarcasam here... as for me though, id probably have to say rocket league. just didn't seem like it would be up my alley. over ever got it cause it was free on ps plus a while back and fell in love with it.