A PS4 game you unexpectedly really enjoyed?

Lord_Azrath

Days Gone. I enjoyed playing as Deacon St. John despite me not liking motorbikes, whole biker subculture or anything related to that. I liked having somewhat atypical main character with a personality and flaws like any other person.

Game starts a bit slow and I see why that can be off-putting to some people, but as soon as you unlock third camp everything opens up and game starts to feel more fun. Story has its ups and downs, but I don't think it is generic per se (apart from the whole zombie apocalypse setting) and I ultimately liked it, especially that last reveal (my reaction was exact same as Deacon's lol). 

The biggest surprise game for me was The Order: 1886. I went into it with low expectations as most of the review scores were mediocre.The only thing negative I can say about this game is it left me wanting more as it was on the shorter side. Pretty sure that was most peoples beef with the game too. I have no complaints though as I feel the price I paid for this gem was well worth what I received and then some.

• Like 2

Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight

When i got this game, i knew NOTHING about the persona series, but when i finished the game and got the platinum, I WAS HOOKED to the point where im a fan of the persona series, all thanks to this simple dancing game, i started watching Persona 4 the animation and later this november, ill finally actually play Persona 5 (I plan on getting P5R for my b-day)

• Like 2

The more recently I can right now think about it was Nioh.

I like games like Dark Souls/Blood Borne but I'm not a big fan like many but Nioh I can tell is my favorite in the genre for few things but importants to me:

1. I love Japan ?? and almost all Asian culture.

2. I TOTALLY love the mission/levels are separate from each in the game. I'm good to get lose in games maps so It wasn't funny in Dark Souls 2 and Bloodnorne to know where to go, also this way I can enjoy each escenary and mission more only focusing in that cause you know not missiables trophies or things.

3. I think it was simple but hard to get use to it and that's always good cause you can catch the learning curve more easily.

4. Sense of humor and fresh moments not all have to be dark and sad.

5. Did I said I love Japan? ??

• Like 1

Mass Effect Andromeda - I played demo of ME2 ages ago and did not like it much. From what I heard, Andromeda sounded like bad fanfiction compared to og trilogy, but I tried it for "free" from Access and enjoyed it a lot. I realize there were some big flaws, but I just liked being Pathfinder.

As someone who prefers to research as much as possible first it is hard for me to be surprised but there are a few that went beyond expectations:

Shadow of Mordor - as I am not a fan of LOTR (the movies actually bored me to sleep) i was skeptical but the game itself looked really good so I gave it a try. The combat while based on Batman's from Arkham it felt much better and the quest did not get too repetitive.

Akiba's Trip Undead and Undressed - I knew i would like the game but it ended up as one of my favorite game i ended up getting it on all 3 PS systems. The combat is really fun even without out the stripping mechanic.

BloodBorne - after playing Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 I was not expecting much from this as the previous FROM games were so sluggish and clunky so I expected more of the same. A friend I have known for years kept pestering me to try it out so I rented it from Gamefly. The combat was so much better than I expected and I do love the aesthetic of the FROM games. I ended up importing the Complete Edition from the UK.

Warframe - despite being a F2P the game is so much fun and they have added so much to the game since i started it back in 2015.

Elex - after playing Risen i knew what to expect from the company but the game while lacking in overall polish it was a lot more fun than I expected.

Probably Apotheon. The first time I played it, it had the most crashes I've ever had on a single game, like just jumping would crash the game, so quickly deleted it and put it in the backlog.

Came back to it over 2 years later and it was so much smoother, and it ran perfectly! Always enjoyed Greek mythology, so after that initial bad experience with the game, I ended up really enjoying getting the platinum.

I see Nioh popping up frequently in this  thread and I pick it as well. 

Bought complete edition more than 2 years ago, had 3 or 4 attempts at it across few months, maybe 10 hours of gameplay over 6 months and finally deserted it for good. Few months ago my buddy was busting my balls about playing it in coop and I got totally sucked in. 

Almost 300 hours right now, finishing way of the wise and still not bored even a bit. 

Horizon Zero Dawn for me ?. I actually went to the store to buy a copy of The Witcher 3, but the edition I wanted was sold out. I had a voucher so I used it for HZD in stead, not knowing that much about it. 

And up til today it's still one of my most favorite games ?

• Like 4

That's weird, but Rage 2 is now one of my favorite modern action games. I got it just to play whenever I wanted some quick fast-paced shooting other than the Far Cry series.

Honestly wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much, especially after looking for its reputation among other players online.

Nier: Automata.

When you've been gaming as long as I have (Since Atari days), you find games to become very ..... well, over hyped. Over the last decade or so there have been MANY games that have gotten great reviews from critics and fans. Reviews scores like 9/10, 10/10. Many of those games I hated (I'm not going to name them). I go into a game that I'm hyped up for, looks like the perfect type of game (genre) for me, and has gotten amazing reviews.... then the game sucks.

With Neir: Automata, my wife was very interested in playing it. A store had a Buy 2 get 2 Free special going on and we bought 8 games... one of which was Nier: Automata (because my wife picked it out). She played through it and liked it a lot, but didn't tell me much about it and didn't try hyping it up for me or anything. I played a few of the other games (of the 8) and was in no rush in playing Nier: Automata (figuring it was going to be another let down, terrible game). Eventually I got around to playing it. It hit all the right buttons with me. Story, Gameplay, Characters and Music are probably the top most important things for me and they did perfect in all those categories (except story/ending-ish). The game is now in my top 5 favorite of all-time (remember, I've been gaming since Atari).

The only thing I didn't like about the game was the different endings. I didn't mind that the game had so many different "endings"... I just didn't like that the actual end (after the final fight) had multiple endings. I know, obviously a game like that with all those endings are going to have different FINAL endings (if any of this is making sense lol).  I like a story to be told to me. I don't like choosing for myself..... especially when you're choosing blindly. I wish there was only one ending (at the actual end. Like i said, I didn't mind all those other "endings" in the middle of the game and stuff).  After beating the game the first time, I was left feeling like:  "Well, ok...I wonder what the other ending is. I wonder if I would like it better than this one". I was left with a feeling of uncertainty.  Instead, I like to feel like:  "Wow, that was an amazing game, story and ending". Instead it didn't feel like the end, since i knew there was a different I had to go back and experience. 

A story doesn't have to end the way I WANT it to for it to be good...... it just has to have ONE DEFINITIVE ending. Or even if the ending is left open ended... i don't mind that so much either. But I hate multiple different endings in games.

And yeah yeah, I know.... the true ending after the credits. But guess what? I chose the other ending first... so really I'll always feel like that first ending I chose is the true ending... which does bug and annoy me lol.