A PS4 game you unexpectedly really enjoyed?

Lord_Azrath

I completely agree with Sayonara Wild Hearts. Didn't look particularly amazing when I watched some gameplay, but a friend bought it for me and I ended up loving it. A great experience. Bound and Trails of Cold Steel were also two others I can think of - Bound I wasn't sure what to really expect. I love 3D platformers, and Bound is a 3D platformer, but that's all I had to go on. I loved every minute of it though. Trails I was expecting to enjoy quite a bit, but not to the extent I did. I liked it so much I went out and bought the sequel the day after finishing it because I just couldn't help myself and I wanted to know where the story went next, despite it still being kinda expensive considering it's a 2019(?) game. And I'm enjoying the sequel just as much, it's exciting to think there are two games after this as well.

I guess I can add Agents of Mayhem to the list. Had it sitting on my shelf for nearly 3 years as I was hesitant because of all the bad reviews of it from the community. 

But I ended up having a blast with it. It wasn't a perfect game, but I had a lot of fun with it. Would have preferred them to improve upon a sequel rather than dropping it altogether. 

• Like 1

Bought Everybody's Golf mostly with the intention of it being a fun little throw-away multiplayer game to play while drinking with the boys but it quickly became one of my favorite games on the system... and now I sit at home every day praying to the Elder Gods that they announce an Everybody's Golf 8 soon

Not totally what you asked but I haven't paid for a game I wasn't sure about, but I did have PS Now and played a few rando things, most got 0% deleted but one I 100% and actually found quite comfy to play. Game is called The Last Tinker: City of Colors. Its also a really easy 100% so I was suprised see some of the trophies on here being anything other than common. So yeah if you have PS Now may as well give a try

Edited by WeeFreya
  • Like 2

Gundam Breaker 3. I heard great things and ordered a copy and in the meantime before it shipped I played Gundam Extreme VS Force on the Vita and found it painfully boring. I was worried that Breaker 3 would be the same but I was totally wrong, the story and setup is basically meaningless but sets the stage for all the customization you could want and a lot of depth to the combat and building your ideal gunpla. I really love that the items you get in the beginning of the game can be upgraded to be powerful in the late game on harder playthroughs. Combat is also really nicely varied and different between different melee weapons and ranged and I’m enjoying finding different optimal load outs. Highly recommend if you like a good beat em up. 

Also Blair Witch, haven’t heard anyone talk about it picked it up because I liked Layers of Fear 1&2 and it was made by the same studio but I had low expectations and was just looking for a fun quick horror game. Very atmospheric walking sim with some rudimentary “combat” mechanics. Not amazing but it‘s early moments shine and I found those tense moments before the shit hits the fan much more satisfying than the actual “pay off”. Really has barely anything to do with the Blair Witch though

Bug Fables 
What I was expecting: a Paper Mario knockoff that would crumble under the weight of the games it was inspired by.
What I actually received: A beautifully written adventure that builds on the Paper Mario formula and isn't afraid to challenge the player to think creatively to win. The combat is deep and engaging, the soundtrack rocks, and the towns are brimming with interesting characters and fun side-quests. It easily outclasses every official Paper Mario game since The Thousand Year Door and is absolutely worth your time whether you're a Paper Mario fan or enjoy classic, turn-based RPGs.

• Like 2

Not bought since I got it on PS Plus but Killing Floor 2. Never really played a horde game so I expected a lot of grinding, and while it is pretty grindy the actual zombie combat remains fun most of the way through. Having a variety of weapons that feel different helps, as does ranking up the classes for different effects. It’s the only PS Plus game that I didn’t already own that I actually appreciated, most of the games given out seem to be stuff I would never play (though I have gotten a lot of easy plats from Plus fwiw). Almost makes me want to get Vermintide since I hear they’re pretty similar 

Steep!

I remember when this came out on PS Plus a year or so ago, I initially had zero interest at all in this game. But I kept hearing from people who were trying it and coming back with raving reviews, or from the odd trophy hunter who had earned the platinum and praised the game for being incredibly fun and challenging.

Eventually I gave in to my curiosity and had to give it a shot. And oh boy, am I glad I did! Steep ended up being insanely fun to play and such an amazing, relaxing experience too. I absolutely loved zoning out, throwing on a Spotify playlist and hitting the slopes or jumping off the highest mountains I could find. It was fantastic.

Steep still remains in my top 3 funnest platinums I’ve earned to date. In my opinion, it’s a nearly perfect balance between challenging gameplay, and pure fun and exhilaration. The game also did an excellent job at catching the feeling of shredding smoothly down a mountainside, or base jumping from a mountaintop and reaching Mach-5 speeds as you weave in and out of the jagged rock faces below, mere inches from death if you miscalculate a maneuver.

Any trophy hunter looking for an awesome and challenging game should add this to their collection! I’m really looking forward to going back and finishing the DLC one of these days. ?

Crash Bandicoot N sane trilogy.

When I first got it I hated the controls it was unplayable for me. 

I picked it up again recently and finally got the hang of the new control style and am enjoying it again. Now I won't be able to play the originals again haha

• Like 1

Oh yeah, another one for me was Steamworld Dig 2. This one totally fits the criteria for me because it’s one of the very few games that I grabbed with absolutely zero knowledge about the game.

I normally research my games thoroughly so I’ve got a pretty decent sense of whether or not I’ll enjoy them when I buy them. However, Steamworld Dig 2 was a rare exception to this practice. I had never even heard of the game/franchise, but the artwork caught my eye and the pictures on the back of the case intrigued me so I decided to give it a try.

I absolutely loved everything about the game, and found it very enjoyable to platinum as well. It was among the first handful of Metroidvanias I played, and had such a unique mechanic with the way your underground digging & pathing actually forms the map and the mazes you navigate. It had some challenging trophies too that I was unprepared for at first (like that 100%/4 gold star speed run), but I pushed through them and just managed to pull it off!

Although it doesn’t have a platinum, I’m keeping my eyes open for the first game so I can go back to where it all started. I hope we see a Steamworld Dig 3 one day!