A PS4 game you unexpectedly really enjoyed?

Lord_Azrath

Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2. i kept getting recommended this by ShadowEliteHD and i finally played them. I can honestly say that Cold Steel franchise is easy top 3 rpg series of all time for me. If 4 ends up being a great payoff then it might take #1

just an fyi:

i enjoyed 3 as well but at this point im a huge fan of the franchise. so ready for 4

I haven't had too many surprises this gen, but I guess Day's Gone would count.

Game looked like it was gonna be one of the few 6 or 7 out of 10's in the Playstations exclusive arsenal... and the first few hours were pretty meh.  Story didn't seem to be going anywhere, kinda generic cliche characters, the motorcycle riding was probably the best part and even that had its frustrating quirks about it.  It was kinda glitchy and had some performance issues on launch too.

By the end, I was hooked though.  About halfway through the game it really started turning around.  The story was gripping, the main story had a lot of memorable moments and the side content reinforced the main story well, the hordes introduced later in the game are absolutely thrilling to fight against.  There aren't many games that 180 that well and win me over these days.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

Lego Harry Potter - I've never really played platformers nor any Lego games so I was reaally surprised how much I loved Lego Harry Potter Collection.  It was my most played game last year and it's up there with my all-time faves. I already bought some other Lego games and I can't wait to play them. 

And because I love the game so much it finally led me to start playing more platformers! I've been playing pretty much only story-driven games up to that point and never expected to enjoy platformers so much.  Yooka-Laylee,  other Legos,  Spyro,  Crash,  etc.  are all games I woudn't otherwise play. 

Cat Quest - This is the only time I played a demo and immediately had to buy tbe whole game because I liked it that much.  It's an excellent game. 

• Like 2

Titanfall 2 - played by EA Access - one of the best single player campaigns ever - what a underrated game...
Tales of Berseria - got it really cheap on sale - at first look, really outdated graphics - but such great story and characters
HITMAN / HITMAN 2 - really, really great game that I checked because it had free episodes
Control - at first cheesy shooter, but it suck you in if you like fringe / x files
Yakuza 0 - WTH is this cheesy game - turns out its sooooo goood...

• Like 1

Rocket League.

Got this game in 2015 via PSN Plus. I didnt like it that time, a weird combination of soccer and car, are you kidding me ? ?

But now in 2020 i give it a second chance, WOW, this game is awesome !

I really enjoy every single minutes i used to plat this game.

Edited by hwieming72
  • Like 1

On 05/09/2020 at 2:50 AM, Celestial_Lily said:

Fallout 76  ? I bought it two months ago, so after the Wastelanders update and stuff, and I am enjoying my time with it. I don't see myself stopping it soon, and I'm looking forward to the next Season later this month because there are rewards I want to make my C.A.M.P look even better 

Fallout 76 for me too! I bought it a month or two before the wastelanders update, saw it on the shelf for $5 then I thought lets try this media butchered game, how bad could it be for $5. I played and completed fo4 before, so I am completely aware that this game will have some bugs here and there. You know it is not a fallout game without bugs!

Turns out this game is now actually fun to play and now I am about 550+ hours and still enjoying it!

Edited by Llujei
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I would have to say Life Is Strange and Life Is Strange Before The Storm.

I'm mostly an Anime and Horror type gamer. So this genre is way out of my range. But for some reason, the animation, art, soundtrack, and characters were able to blend together perfectly. It did have a rough first episode. It nearly made me want to drop the game completely. Mainly because the style of game is not my cup of tea. But man, that last part of episode one made me become a believer. Each episode found a way to improve upon the other. I was worried that the prequel would be a step back from his predecessor, but nope! It found a way to enhance the experience of the first game. Plus the game ended in a way that made you feel bittersweet.  

If your in the fence about playing this game. Give it a try, it's so good! Plus it's an easy platinum.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yakuza Kiwami , didnt even buy it got it as the free game . Didnt think id enjoy it , really didnt appeal to me at all . ended up totally immersed in Kamurocho and have now played my way through the entire Kiryu Saga and am almost finished the platinum on like a dragon.

For me it was hollow knight. Downloaded it with ps plus, tried it and immidiatly was hooked. Every boss was a little bit harder but still beatable after a few tries. I had always the feeling of not be able to complete it. But eventually i did it and it felt great. Really loved it

Hitman (2016 version).

I didnt touch the series till a few months ago, because I always disliked stealth games. I bought it on a whim in a massive sale.

I was blown away by the fantastic puzzle-like gameplay. Its incredibly fun to play. I started the 2nd one yesterday and I am going to get 100% in it.

Snagged Greedfall while it was free on PS Plus, and just recently gave it a go. Gotta admit, after playing + platting Bound By Flame, I was expecting a similar game out of Spiders, but they really cranked up the production value for Greedfall, I was pretty surprised at how much I was enjoying it and couldnt stop playing it. The plat takes some planning and strategic saves, but I was pretty impressed and enjoyed it a lot. Definitely makes me feel good I grab these freebie games, now I will be more open to trying them out sooner since I enjoyed this one so much.

On 16/9/2020 at 5:48 AM, THEULTRAMEMELORD said:

the last of us
never heard of the game before trophy hunting and it was a ps plus game.my first playthrough was on survivor and I loved the game have the plat for it to.but don't wanna do TLOU 2 yet because I heard the game was bad.

TLOUII won the game of the year and several other awards, you may not like the story, and that's fine, but it's not a bad game at all. Personally, it's one of my favourite games ever and I also loved the story because hits you hard. 

One year ago, I started to be interested in the Dark Souls series, but I thought it was too hard and just for very hardcore gamers. But there was something so mysterious about it that I realized I needed to give it a try. Well I'm glad I did because along with TLOUII is another epic game.

Edited by ShinySpidey
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 8:15 PM, Shinjiitsu said:

I would have to say Life Is Strange and Life Is Strange Before The Storm.

These games shouldn't even be in the same sentence in my opinion. One is a passion project while the other is merely a quick commercial cash grab devaluing the brand.

I enjoyed The Last Day of June way more than expected. I thought it about reminiscence of the past but it did a whole "challenge the destiny" type of story on me and I was surprised and impressed with how they did so much with so little.

Zero Escape: 999 was a blast to play and it really amazed me on so many levels. Not so much with Zero Time Dilemma (3rd game) which is still decent at the very least but I hated how Virtue's Last Reward (2nd game) did its story, setting and characters.

The House in Fata Morgana was tough to swallow at first (delivery issues - visual novel with not as much art as I expect a VN game to have and tons of text not in a hurry to the point) but I loved its characters, its music and its themes by the end of it.

Edited by VegaMan-X4

Just Cause 3, I though there was nothing good about this game by just looking at it, but I found the freedom in it very refreshing and the main bad guy being developed through audio logs I found while exploring the world... idk, it just worked for me, I liked it

Man Eater.  Hadn't really ever heard of the game before it was a Plus game on PS5.  Wasn't thinking that it was going to be anything special but I downloaded it because it wasn't too big, gave it a shot one Saturday morning.  Within about 3 minutes, after I had killed and eaten my first human being, and there was all of the blood and the screaming in terror.....I was hooked.  Game's hilarious.  The narration is consistent and entertaining enough that you never get bored with just swimming around in silence, it sets up the journey of revenge against the villain in a really cool way, it's just a really fun experience.  Wasn't expecting anything out of it and then I had it Platinumed in 4 days.