The Last of Us Part II is now the fastest-selling PS4 exclusive ever

10 minutes ago, Bizurke2003 said:

Is there really anyone surprised that it is selling this well?  There are probably going to be millions of people that have or will purchase this game that won't write a single word good or bad about it on the internet.  These people will play it and love it, like it, be indifferent toward it, not like it or hate it.

We live in a world where social media has made people think their voices are louder than they actually are.

2 hours ago, ShadowReplicant said:

Get woke, go broke, am I right, guys? ... Guys?

Just want to tell you that this doesn't immediately translate into poor sales of something as the damage can be more long term or less direct. The New Star Wars Trilogy did well in the box office but merchandise sales, the actual money behind the franchise, plummeted. People shouldn't be quick to assume that everything is fine just yet.

No one doubted the game would not sell... Only dumb people cite the "get woke, go broke" shenanigan.  Hell, after all it even received 10/10s from pretty much every game journos ever. So it WAS greenlighted at every corner for most people, despite the leaks online. And it's the "Part II" of an extraordinary game that is TLOU1, considered by many, critics AND fans alike as one of the best games ever made. A sequel that people have been expecting for 7 long years at the end of the life cycle of the PS4. The result is absolutely no surprise.

Does that mean the game, the story direction, the art choices, the dialogues, the characters... and everything in between is ... objectively good? I don't think so.

Should we also consider "sells" an argument from authority that represents the quality of a product or a game? Because if it is... Then we can say with a straight face that Fifa and Call of Duty are modern masterpieces that should be featured in museums.
Many of these so-called (uneducated) journos who masturbate to their own thoughts about "Art" should sincerely step back and meditate this. Or is "selling a lot" the goal? Maybe that's the real objective of these critics? To sell us a product? Even a bad, unfinished, absurd one? A piece of media that caters to their own world-view and fantasies? Is that it?

Anyway, moving forward it's going to be interesting to watch where they go with this...Will a Part III be happening? Do we stop the massacre here? Is Druckmann gonna recover and or is he going to continue his little adventure of firing the only talents at ND and crash into the ground the little credibility they now have? Stay tuned!

On 26/6/2020 at 4:50 PM, sephiroth4424 said:

The first Last of Us is considered as one of the best games in the last decade. Obviously many anticipated part 2, including me (btw thank you leaker, you saved me 60 euros).

This is natural with sequels that had successful predecessors. Part 3 will prove how much people loved part 2

Ignorance at its peak...

You haven't even played the game, but yet you choose to eat chewed food... It's really disappointing how people's "logic" is so...

And you don't really have to "thank" anyone but yourself for "saving" you, no leaker forced you to see them it was all but your choice.

Edited by Kiyan-13
  • Like 4

Great for Naughty Dog! But it sells that fast, cause people loved the first one. It does not mean that all of them end up liking it. For instance I absolutely adore Ni No Kuni and bought part 2 day 1 and I hated it! Awful game but a success for Namco, because of people like me (until they release part 3). The Last of us was even beloved on a much, much bigger scale.

This can also be seen in music where the second album of a new band with a surprisingly good first album will always be number 1. Movies and TV shows have the same phenomenon. Nevertheless it's a great accomplishment for The last of us part 2 and Sony!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiyan-13 said:

Ignorance at its peak...

You haven't even played the game, but yet you choose to eat chewed food... It's really disappointing how people's "logic" is so...

I also advise people not to play with fire because i heard it's painful but i've never tried it. My ignorance meter went beyond it's peak

2 hours ago, Kiyan-13 said:

And you don't really have to "thank" anyone but yourself for "saving" you, no leaker forced you to see them it was all but your choice.

I don't have thank the leaker? So if the leaker never leaked the videos, how could i make the choice to see said leaks and choose not to buy this shitty game?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sephiroth4424 said:

I also advise people not to play with fire because i heard it's painful but i've never tried it. My ignorance meter went beyond it's peak

I don't have thank the leaker? So if the leaker never leaked the videos, how could i make the choice to see said leaks and choose not to buy this shitty game?

Anyone who purposefully chose to check the leaks isn’t a fan. Why would anyone want to go into an experience they look forward to spoiled and robbed of any surprise? That’s why ND devs don’t care at all what people like you think about a game you didn’t wanna experience yourself in the first place. I along with the real fans of the series, as well as the critics (not those who played it once for the platinum when it was free) thouroughly loved this game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lovenewton said:

Anyone who purposefully chose to check the leaks isn’t a fan. Why would anyone want to go into an experience they look forward to spoiled and robbed of any surprise? That’s why ND devs don’t care at all what people like you think about a game you didn’t wanna experience yourself in the first place. I along with the real fans of the series, as well as the critics (not those who played it once for the platinum when it was free) thouroughly loved this game.

Now this IS ignorance. So much that i'm not even gonna bother with you

• Like 4

Congrats to them, All things considered with the leak, that's pretty awesome that it did so well anyway setting a new record for the first 3 days for an Playstation exclusive. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I'm in lazy mode just playing Battlefield 4 and a little bit of Nex Machina every other day.lol. I'll probably even play Ghost of Tsushima before I boot this up too. You never know with me.lol. 

Edited by AlphaExGAT

That's not really surprising. The first game was beloved by millions plus put in the fact that it took 7 years for this to come out, of course it's gonna sell like hotcakes. I mean let's be honest, who honestly thought that all the screaming and outrage from the leaks would make a dent on the eventual sales of the game. The real test in my opinion is how well the next game (if there is any, and if it will still follow Ellie/Abby/Lev) will sell. A lot of people love this game, a lot of people hate it, and a lot of people are in between. I personally didn't love the game, it was more like 6 or 7/10 for me mainly because of the story and major pacing issues. Curious what ND's next project is gonna be after Crash 4. 

Edited by PostGameBlues
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, JEDLander said:

Let's be clear though, initial fast sales like this are more indicative of the quality of the previous game (making fans of the series) and 'critic' reviews. Be interesting to see if it out-sells the other exclusives

Gotta agree with this point, I also strongly believe that if there is a 3rd part, it’s not gonna sell that well given how many buyers ended up disappointed. But it’s also true that with each passing year the world globalizes a bit more, so it’s also no surprise how big these numbers are growing each year.

I also think Neil Druckmann is not going to be the director of the 3rd part, if there is one in the end.

On 26/06/2020 at 9:06 AM, ShadowReplicant said:

Get woke, go broke, am I right, guys? ... Guys?

The funny thing is, though simplistic, that can be true when done excessively (*cough*Gilette*cough*). 

However this fiasco seems to be alot more about not liking the direction of the story and having a personal distaste for the dev/founder. However if people don't end up liking the story they'll be less likely to by the next on day 1.

I think we are at an extreme where alot of media is politicized (which I'm not a fan of), but on the other side of things people go to an extreme to criticize anything even remotely perceived that way. 

Now, I should go finish the first game... 

Edited by Joker-Kun890

2 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

That's not really surprising. The first game was beloved by millions plus put in the fact that it took 7 years for this to come out, of course it's gonna sell like hotcakes. I mean let's be honest, who honestly thought that all the screaming and outrage from the leaks would make a dent on the eventual sales of the game. The real test in my opinion is how well the next game (if there is any, and if it will still follow Ellie/Abby/Lev) will sell. A lot of people love this game, a lot of people hate it, and a lot of people are in between. I personally didn't love the game, it was more like 6 or 7/10 for me mainly because of the story and major pacing issues. Curious what ND's next project is gonna be after Crash 4. 

ND is not making Crash 4 my dude

Of course the game was going to sell well. There was never any doubt about that and anyone trying to make out like the game's critics were *expecting* it to fail are being disingenuous. It's a mainstream game, and there are far too many normies out there who are either ignorant or just don't care about what was going on behind the scenes with this game. They were always going to buy it regardless. As others have pointed out, TLOU2 sold so well because of how widely beloved the first game is, and that's all there really is to it. Only gaming enthusiasts like the people who frequent forums such as this one were going to look into things more than that and possibly think twice about their purchase, but we're in the minority.

No matter what your opinion is on TLOU2 is, you have to agree that the game is incredibly divisive, even amongst fans of Naughty Dog and the first game. There are a lot of people who purchased the game and are unhappy with the final product. So while this game sold well, it could very well affect Naughty Dog's future releases, especially if their next game ends up being Part III. It wasn't long ago that Naughty Dog could do no wrong in the eyes of many people and pumped out game after game with near universal praise, but that's not the case anymore. And no, I'm not talking about woke game journalists with their gender studies degree before anyone bring that up.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 4