CLASSIC: Soldier of Fortune

BadRep24

Oh, the good ol' game Soldier of Fortune. Didn't start playing that game until it was 15 years ago, back when I was just a kid, which sparked my interest of gaming. It was funny, because SoF garnered a lot of controversy for its depiction of gratuitous violence, which of course would spell trouble for the sensitive bunch, including ESRB and possibly the Government. It was so crazy that there was a repackaged version of the game, known as Tactical Low-Violence Version, where the violent parts were completely cleansed from the game. That's not what this is all about, though. I'm talking about how this one plays out more, in contrast to some of today's single-player shooters.

What the game stands out the most is the characters and the campaign. Even if the game is simple, the campaign is remarkable to make it up. The weapons, although simple, were badass, especially the Microwave Pulse Gun (MPG). Well, one of the best parts you could do in the game was to unleash some agony to your enemies with guns, which what was made this game unique for: violence. Yes, you got me right. You can shoot their nether regions to make them scream and writhe in agony, blow their heads off to just shut them up, tear off their limbs, completely blow them off with a Rocket Launcher, and pretty much shoot their guts. Heck, you can even burn them with a flamethrower and make them scream to their untimely demise. There's difficulties, but you can also customize your own difficulty in this game. Unfortunately, this was the only game I played within the SoF series, because the next few games was where the series began its downfall. It's recommended if you love shooters, because the game has it.

Edited by BadRep24
  • Like 1

Just now, BrettyBoy said:

Solider Of Fortune Payback? I was meant to try that game a decade back but never got around to buying the game. 

No. The original from the 2000s, which was the one that was under the radar of ESRB for its controversial themes of violence. Still lovin' it.

2 minutes ago, BadRep24 said:

No. The original from the 2000s, which was the one that was under the radar of ESRB for its controversial themes of violence. Still lovin' it.

I didn’t know there was an original one to be honest. 

Still played the campaign and it was a blast, even after it was released 20 years. Can't stop blasting limbs of enemies, blowing their heads off, nada. Sadly, not most shooters have this anymore.

Edited by BadRep24
  • Like 1

I've never played the original, but my brother and I did spend a fair amount of time with the sequel. I remember it being a pretty unremarkable shooter, other than the cheap shock value they went for.

There is certainly something to be said for having enemies respond in interesting ways when being damaged by the player, though⁠—it's an aspect that's a bit lacking in the games industry. One of the many reasons I loved Dead Space.

Oh wow that is some blast from the past (quite literally considering the exploding limbs) . 

Ironically I never knew it had a sequel actually . I know the original was damn brutal for the time it was released. Can't remember anything about the story, I can only remember how I was hiding from dad to play this one. Was fun for a while but eventually dropped it for Red Faction. Blowing walls with GeoMod was more fun. 

Still a nice game from the past! 

8 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Oh wow that is some blast from the past (quite literally considering the exploding limbs) . 

Ironically I never knew it had a sequel actually . I know the original was damn brutal for the time it was released. Can't remember anything about the story, I can only remember how I was hiding from dad to play this one. Was fun for a while but eventually dropped it for Red Faction. Blowing walls with GeoMod was more fun. 

Still a nice game from the past! 

And I loved playing it again. Man, attention to detail like exploding limbs is what made SoF so damn good, in contrast to some shooters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BadRep24 said:

And I loved playing it again. Man, attention to detail like exploding limbs is what made SoF so damn good, in contrast to some shooters.

Yeah, that is very true! 

Had a discussion about this topic with a friend the other day. The attention to details in old games was top notch,even with the limited hardware. That's what made them so fun! 

Simplicity, in other words. A game with dated graphics from the 2000s doesn't mean it was a failure. 

2 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Yeah, that is very true! 

Had a discussion about this topic with a friend the other day. The attention to details in old games was top notch,even with the limited hardware. That's what made them so fun! 

Some games nowadays, like COD, are focused on graphics rather than the gameplay.

I played this game on PC a long time ago and, truth be told, I have a very bad recollection about it. I remember thinking the whole dismembering thing was pretty dope at the time. The rest of the game, however, I don't remember. I didn't finish it and I don't remember why, lol. ?

I didn't play any of its sequels either, although I do believe Payback is available on the PS3, which is a game that's missing from my collection at this moment.

So yeah... I didn't play it much... I do remember the flying limbs, though. xD

• 2 weeks later...

I finished a playthrough of SoF 1 on the Challenging difficulty a while ago. It's still one of the best, but I can't say the same for SoF Payback. Raven Software made the first two in the series. Activision went with a different developer for Payback, and it sure shows. Though it stays true to the violence, it doesn't feel like a real SoF and ends up being merely okay, not great.

The SoF Plus mod for the first one is good with 16:9 and 8:5 widescreen, FOV adjustment, bugfixes, and multi-monitor support (if you do that, use three monitors, not two). SoF II can be setup for widescreen with some ini tweaking, and a little hex editing to change the FOV.

I tried the Dreamcast version once, and it's not the best of ports. With its framerate issues, you're better off with the PC or PS2 versions. The PS2 version generally runs at 50-60 FPS.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge