what guides would you recommend for this?

was thinking on getting the double play collection which has 3 and 4. i have no disgaea experience, have 5 on the ps4 but never got around to it. 

i hear these games are very complex, so for those that have platinum'd this what sort of guides would you recommend? i never know when it comes to these games what references platinum achievers used to get their platinum's, so i end up avoiding the series lol. 

Disgaea series doesn't need guides.  You only do 2 things: 1- you fight in battles 2- you grind like there's no tomorrow for battles .

Everything can be solved with grinding be it for level or better equipment.  Max level in these games are 9999,  stats i recall 999999999 so you can guess the grinding i mean 

43 minutes ago, Abyss_Dreamer said:

Disgaea series doesn't need guides.  You only do 2 things: 1- you fight in battles 2- you grind like there's no tomorrow for battles .

Everything can be solved with grinding be it for level or better equipment.  Max level in these games are 9999,  stats i recall 999999999 so you can guess the grinding i mean 

i wish it were that simple, but have my doubts. i've read a comment that someone had to do over 10 hours of research just for this game due to these games having very steep learning curves. 

• Like 1

Just check the powerlevel guides at GameFAQs. 

Also, searching the forums there for powerlevel tips and Innocent setups should be almost all that you need. 

Remember the following:

Stack Statisticians (each stack caps at 300 subdued) 

Stack Managers (each stack caps at 300 subdued)

Stack Brokers (each stack caps at 300 subdued, less important than the others) 

Stack Professionals (each stack caps at 100 subdued) 

Create and stack Sprinters (I think that's the name, it's SPD+STR Innocent, caps at 19998 subdued, you will need to look into how to get those, they are "special", get several groups of them). 

You will also need to check on how to get Rank 39-40 gear (essentially, get a Rank 39 from somewhere like post game extra story if available, X-Dimension maps or bonus board of high rank items in Item World). 

Your "initial" focus should be to get Statisticians (caps at total 3700 pet character, so, get 6-12 stacks of those) and Professionals (really important, it will get you 100% Critical rate meaning double damage), then Managers (3-4 stacks are enough) and a few Brokers (1-2 stacks of this is enough), get Sprinters whenever you see them. 

Always keep around (and at a not to low level), a Thief, and a few of the best "Hand" items and make a Mot (lvl1 is all that you need) with several Shoes items equipped, as well as a Martial Artist (both are an "Item World runners" setup, Prinny Mask instead of a Mot also works, and any unit with a first skill that moves the opponent works instead of the Martial Artist, but that's the easiest unit to get). Usually the Main character with frequently upgraded gear (lvl up the stores and keep giving him the best possible gear), can Solo the main story from fresh (well, for most part..). But usually it's the easiest way to tackle the games for me, since that means that you focus all the "little EXP" that you get during story mode on him. 

At post game you should just focus on more of that +  in getting a Yoshitsune (R49 sword) and 3 Trapezohedron (best accessory/armor in the game) 

That's pretty much the generic flow on all Disgaea games (give or take, depending on what mechanics are in each game), after the first one, all others will feel somewhat familiar, even if the flow is slightly different. 

Other specifics that you will need to look into are, how to unlock every class, Cenate/School hall unlocks (conditions to unlock stuff, this is where you pass bills and create generic characters), unlock LOC conditions. Then the Item World Pirates (you need to find and defeat all in Disgaea 3, good luck :(), on Disgaea 4 you can get "maxed out" characters from Friends Pirates (just look it up, I may have uploaded a crew of lvl1 Androids in the EU version, but it's been ages). You will likely need a item list to register every item in the game (some Disgaea have a trophy for this). Several trophies have specific setups to be gotten, but you can check that on the .org site. And X-Dimension Maps are "Puzzles", you may need to look for a solution, those should be at GameFAQs too. 

There used to be a Disgaea database somewhere with most simple info (character classes unlocks, skills and it's properties, weapons and ranks, as well as Innocents and their caps), but I forgot what site it was.. I may look into it.. 

Notes: 1st - I may have mixed a thing or two from the original PS3 releases and the Vita releases (those had extra content, and a few extra mechanics).

2nd - All that I said will make more sense when you start playing it, definitely the first one will take a while until you get down everything in the game because it will look way more complicated than it actually is. 

Edit: Actually just saw that here at PSNProfiles there's now a guide for both Disgaea 3 and 4 PS3 versions! From what I read the Disgaea 3 guide is detailed enough for someone completely new to the series, so start by checking that. 

There's definitely much more info and more comprehensive / easy to find than when I actually plat the games (some info was quite annoying to find back then, specially about the "register all items" in Disgaea 4 vita version (there are a few extra items that were DLC on the PS3 version, and was a pain to figure out what items they were and how to get them..).

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, RJP_X said:

i wish it were that simple, but have my doubts. i've read a comment that someone had to do over 10 hours of research just for this game due to these games having very steep learning curves. 

I have no doubts. This is my way and it will never change since disgeae 1 in ps2 i played all of them