My take - even though I never played the game

TWOLF2016

Having never played the game you might ask why are you giving a review. I have read a lot of the reviews and I feel I should give my opinion.

I know that opinions are like a-holes - everybody has one and they all stink. But non the less I feel it is something I should say. Without playing the game but reading the reviews 

I have a fairly good idea that what is so divisive is that the context of the story of this game is trying to deliver a message. Political I would say almost certainly Now from

what I have read of the reviews the story is controversial ( spelled wrong I am sure) . Ellie might be a lesbian? I am not sure because I haven't played it. But my review of the re

views is this. I think the negative reviews are not of the game itself but more so the context.I am a white man who has had a privileged life because my parents are amazing

people no doubt about it - if it weren't for them life would have been extremely difficult - does that nullify my opinion maybe it does I cant say for sure

how others feel is how others are going to feel - but I haven always judged a person individually and not for one second does color or sex matter to me.

So getting back on track - the negative reviews and the people who are upset - dont judge them as intolerant  - my opinion is sexual orientation should not matter whatsoever in video games. 

I mean why does it matter - it doesn't - people should not be identified by their sexuality any more than they should be identified by the color of their skin. I am not trying to undermine anybody's movement - but we need to get back to a place where a story is just a story - and when it comes to video games - sexual orientation should be a non factor. Anyone can be a hero and who you choose to be with should not be a part of the story and if it is a part it should be fairly unimportant. I guess I am just getting tired I cant understand why we cant just all get along and accept 

people for who they are as individuals .

All that being said I am sure that the last of us part 2 is a wonderful game - but lets eliminate the agenda  - when I meet you tomorrow - whats important to me is how do you treat others - 

it doesn't matter to me what color you are or who you choose to have sex with - whats important is are you  a decent honest person. Being decent., honest and respectful that is how we should look at others.

Edited by DaivRules

5 minutes ago, TWOLF2016 said:

Yes essentially I am saying that who you choose to be with is not necessary to tell a good story and does not define you.

So there should never be relationships again in games? If a character happens to have a mom and dad we should eliminate one of those characters because having a mom and dad is a heterosexual relationship.

Basically you are saying you want everyone to be single in video games and have 0 romantic interests.

As someone who studied screenwriting that would make very boring characters.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 4

If I was to meet you in real life - say you walked into my workplace - I would not care about your orientation - what I would care about is how you treated me

now I understand that obviously the world doesn't think the way I do and that is why it is an issue - but to me your sex life is not only unimportant but I am of the opinion 

it is personal and is none of my business.

No I am not saying that there should be no relationships in games. What i'm saying is that it should not matter as much as it does. That the most important defining moment

of your character is not your sex life.

• Like 2

Sure, it is not your business but you are saying that all video game characters should NEVER be in a relationship because it might offend someone? And I am telling you as someone who has studied screenwriting and characters that that is just a boring story.

So the SIMs should not exist? Mario shouldn't go after the Princess? In Persona you should choose all the safest options and never get involved with anyone? etc. etc. etc.

The problem is no one has a problem with Mario going after the Princess...but if Mario went after the Prince people would lose their minds. The fact that people get so angry about it is why these things need to be in more media. People have to learn that this is normal...it shouldn't be a topic of conversation. If the character in Last of Us had a boyfriend you wouldn't be making this thread? You are only making it because she may be a lesbian (I have never played either Last of Us so I can't speak for the characters).

Where are all your "reviews" for games with heterosexual relationships? If it is really "none of your business" then you should be posting this in every game that has a character that is in a relationship...but you chose the one with the lesbian to "make your stand"

Do you get where I am coming from?

• Like 2

I am quite certain I did not say never once - other than in this specific sentence that I have just typed. I am just disappointed that there is still this huge divide. What I am 

saying is that it doesn't matter. I am not against ellie being a lesbian - but if the story writing was all about it  - then I can understand why people would be upset -in a good story 

someone can be homosexual as a part of their character and still be a great story - 

I didn't played the game as well and after the leaks (thanks again) and - to be sure - after a full length playthrough on YT I will never do it.

The Last Of Us is not Uncharted. Gameplay and graphics are important here and nobody can say anything about how perfect they are, but it's the story that characterizes this game. Just the fucking story.

I've read these days the most imaginative things about story. People who say Abby did well to kill Joel because he killed her father.

3 things:

1- Joel killed a lot of people on Part 1 because he had to protect Ellie during the journey for a vaccine

2 - Joel killed a lot of people when he found out they wanted to kill Ellie. If you played part 1 you should know he lost Sarah and he went near Ellie like a daughter, protecting her no matter what.

3 - By doing this "mental trick" it becomes dangerous. ND created a potentially dangerous precedent. They created Abby's character FROM - literally - NOTHING. And from that fucking nothing they killed a main character.

It's like if the granddaughter of Lara Croft's butler took her revenge on Lara because we closed her grandfather, the trembling butler, in the ice house when we played Tomb Raider on PS1. We all did it.

Edited by X_Wizi_X

4 minutes ago, TWOLF2016 said:

If I was to meet you in real life - say you walked into my workplace - I would not care about your orientation - what I would care about is how you treated me

now I understand that obviously the world doesn't think the way I do and that is why it is an issue - but to me your sex life is not only unimportant but I am of the opinion 

it is personal and is none of my business.

Ahhh, but the workplace is different.  There are laws to prevent you from having to discuss ANYONE’s sexuality at work.  With games/movies/entertainment, they are trying to sell/tell you a story.  And they have the right to tell whatever story they want to.

And you have the right to not buy it, as it seems you’ve chosen that path yourself in regards to this game.

I don’t believe you’re too solid in your stance on this topic; the ground seems a bit shaky for you, there’s a bit of a crack in your wall, and there’s a couple of drops of your blood in the water.  Your hypocrisy is pretty evident and...yeah.  I would shut the laptop down for the night and pickup a game you’ve already platinumed, and play it again.  Walk away from this one, dude...?

tenor.gif

• Like 1

From what I’ve seen, the vast majority of people who are upset with TLoU2 are upset about the contrived plot and storytelling decisions, not Naughty Dog’s political agenda or the LGBT inclusivity in the game. But somehow the narrative being peddled by the media and supporters of the game is that the criticism can all be chalked up to a bunch of angry, white, homophobic man children who hate the fact Ellie is a lesbian. Like what??

If people are offended about anything at all, perhaps they should be offended at the way the media is using the LGBT community as a shield. It’s like these companies have figured out they can protect themselves against any & all criticism (whether completely valid or not) simply by plugging some minority groups into their product. Then if anyone criticizes it, they can call them out for being a bigot.

Sarcade_Legend - I will buy this game and play it - I dont care about the opinions of others - enough to prevent me from buying this game - 

hell I am not even offering my opinion on the game more so on the reviews itself and my opinion is that any game that gets targeted as SJW stuff is

marred by it - and that the people who are upset with it are wrongly vilified as intolerant assholes. Anyway I will play it someday but man so many games so little 

time but I just know when the SJW review bombs come out theres a reason for it and it doesn't mean its because they are against the sexual representation that this company

is trying to pander to you.

3 minutes ago, TWOLF2016 said:

Sarcade_Legend - I will buy this game and play it - I dont care about the opinions of others - enough to prevent me from buying this game - 

hell I am not even offering my opinion on the game more so on the reviews itself and my opinion is that any game that gets targeted as SJW stuff is

marred by it - and that the people who are upset with it are wrongly vilified as intolerant assholes. Anyway I will play it someday but man so many games so little 

time but I just know when the SJW review bombs come out theres a reason for it and it doesn't mean its because they are against the sexual representation that this company

is trying to pander to you.

Point made.  ?

On a side note: dude...that profile pic.  You really need to show your better side up there...people will rush to conclusions about you!  For example, this sneak peek for TLoU Part 3 might be indirectly referring to you or others without a profile pic...?

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d0dad094e31536373

Edited by Starcade_Legend
Grammar/Punctuation
  • Like 1

Alright Solarus - and if that is the case then that is a good thing. But you cannot deny that the reviews do not reflect that. 

After reading the reviews I was left wondering did playstation pay for all the 10's and did x-box pay for all the zeros. And no you dont have to care - I  am not reviewing the game - 

I am reviewing the reviews which I feel is important - because I feel like the reviews are more important than the game.

It is legit in the sense that the reviews are so divided - 

10 minutes ago, Starcade_Legend said:

Point made.  1f914.png

On a side note: dude...that profile pic.  You really need to show your better side up there...people will rush to conclusions about you!  For example, this sneak peek for TLoU Part 3 might be indirectly referring to you or others without a profile pic...1f633.png

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d0dad094e31536373

This is my first time making any sort or serious post on here - and I dont have to worry about my looks - my looks never got me anywhere - but being honest 

definitely has. 

1 minute ago, TWOLF2016 said:

It is legit in the sense that the reviews are so divided - 

This is my first time making any sort or serious post on here - and I dont have to worry about my looks - my looks never got me anywhere - but being honest 

definitely has. 

I was just trying to be a bit funny, is all.

I’ll leave you with the words i mentioned earlier, as a reminder: ‘Walk away from this one, dude’...?

33 minutes ago, TWOLF2016 said:

Having never played the game you might ask why are you giving a review. I have read a lot of the reviews and I feel I should give my opinion.

You definitely should not feel that way, you clearly don't know anything about the game, as you seem to think this is a story based around Ellie's sexuality, which while relevant to her as an individual, has minimal influence over the themes present in the game. HOWEVER, even if it did, and was the driving force of everything that happened in the story, it doesn't matter, a story can be about anything. 

6 minutes ago, TWOLF2016 said:

I'm just tired of the divide = I long for us all to just get along. A good story can be told without proving a point or being divisive.

Then stop taking the side of those causing divisiveness? Characters in this game's sexuality is no issue to those who are actually accepting of others. Only those who are intolerant of others take issue with other people's sexual orientation. Also, who cares if a story isn't for anyone? Sometimes a depressing story like this one just genuinely won't be for everyone, and that's okay.

also, demanding that LGBT characters not exist in a game because some people don't tolerate LGBT people is absolutely backwards.Everyone who thinks that the sexuality of Ellie/Dina/etc. is a problem is not worth taking seriously. 

1 hour ago, TWOLF2016 said:

So getting back on track - the negative reviews and the people who are upset - dont judge them as intolerant  - my opinion is sexual orientation should not matter whatsoever in video games. 

If i had this amount of reach i wouldn't need a ladder to get to my roof. 

Its a story driven game...not Call of Duty

4 minutes ago, TWOLF2016 said:

Alright Solarus - and if that is the case then that is a good thing. But you cannot deny that the reviews do not reflect that. 

After reading the reviews I was left wondering did playstation pay for all the 10's and did x-box pay for all the zeros. And no you dont have to care - I  am not reviewing the game - 

I am reviewing the reviews which I feel is important - because I feel like the reviews are more important than the game.

I agree that a lot of the "reviews" (since they're mostly 1 liners on metacritic decrying sjw themes) seem to imply that the game leans heavily into identity politics as the core theme of the game. These are also reviews from people who have clearly not actually played the game, or even watched the full story online. They formed their opinion based off of the promo trailers and leaked footage, which is a huge shame.

This is definitely a game that can be polarizing, but it's because of the narrative structure and assumptions that the game makes on how you'll think in response to certain revelations.

SPOILERS BELOW (if someone tells me how to black out spoilers, I'll edit, but for now, just don't look if you care about spoilers):

Jeremy Jahns gave what I consider the most succinct explanation for the divide: The writers assume that after playing Abby's section, you'll fully empathize with her position and understand why she did what she did. If you didn't change your tune by the end of Abby's story, then the rest of the story will fall flat, because you still want Elly to kill her and any other resolution would be hollow and unfulfilling. This is why people have one of 2 opinions:

1. This game is a masterwork of adult emotional storytelling, and drove home a lot of complex themes about good and evil not just being black and white.

2. The storytelling sucks and Ellie should have gotten her revenge because Joel is still unavenged / Joel never should have died in the first place.

END SPOILERS

I'm personally in the former camp. The afterglow is still wearing off, but I think this may very well be my new favorite game of all time. That said, I can understand that there is a short list of very legitimate criticisms people may have that might spoil the experience for them. The game being centered around SJW themes is not one of those criticisms. If you read the negative reviews, it's pretty easy to tell which ones have actually played the game and which ones haven't.

• Like 4