Quick thoughts (10/10)

Pots3k

The Last of Us: Part II is an Auteur masterwork. It didn't have to rely on macguffins or contrivances and instead stood entirely on it's own through incredible acting and the most organic storytelling I've experienced in a game. Nobody felt like "characters" in an interactive movie, they actually felt like people in a world. The non-linear story and pacing did not force empathy, instead it let you make up your own mind about the actions and consequences. But hey, no judgement if you disagree, this is just the two cents of someone who had been a bit disappointed by the previous big AAA PS4 releases like Horizon and God of War, and had incredibly high expectations for Part II which were exceeded.

• Like 3

This game did a magnificent job in 

Spoiler

Blurring the lines between protagonist and antagonist, particularly with the fight against Ellie.

Many people has a hard time 

Spoiler

sympathizing with Abby at all. From her perspective, Joel and Ellie are monsters, but since we played a whole game from their perspective, its difficult to sympathize with a new character with a radically different view of them.

This game did a masterful job implementing the 

Spoiler

Roshomon Effect...it rarely gets used in video games at all, and this blew me away!

Edited by ChickenExotic
spoiler
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, ChickenExotic said:

This game did a magnificent job in 

Reveal hidden contents

Blurring the lines between protagonist and antagonist, particularly with the fight against Ellie.

Many people has a hard time 

Reveal hidden contents

sympathizing with Abby at all. From her perspective, Joel and Ellie are monsters, but since we played a whole game from their perspective, its difficult to sympathize with a new character with a radically different view of them.

This game did a masterful job implementing the 

Reveal hidden contents

Roshomon Effect...it rarely gets used in video games at all, and this blew me away!

Yeah I completely agree on all points. You raise an interesting point about 

Spoiler

People having a hard time sympathizing with Abby. I kinda have to wonder, why is it that peoples enjoyment of a story is predicated on their ability to sympathize with a character? Personally I think it's more interesting when I'm experiencing a role that I don't agree with. As long as it's well written and the characters motives make sense with the world, I love an opportunity like that. In saying that, I agreed equally with both Ellie and Abby's points of view. I find it tough to say who's journey I liked more. Ellie's story was well needed catharsis and Abby's was spectacular world building.