What's your opinion on "fake" platinum screenshots?

MrZhangetsu

Making a fake platinum screenshot is setting a new low to be honest.

So many people anymore are fake. A lot of stuff now is basically Photoshopped, which is sad, and the entire website of DeviantArt is full of that shit. It's one thing to make actual art in drawings or art you made on a computer. But fucking real life pictures?

Fake platinum screenshots are just a waste of time.

16 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I wasn’t aware that some people were upset with this. ?

I don’t do this all the time, mainly because I’m lazy. But I’ve become so irritated with how many of my platinum screenshots are black screens or in game menus that I’ve begun using the switcheroo method for some games. It’s nice to have a picture of you know... the actual game. Lol. I also find this can be pretty cool in the prettier games out there with photo modes.

I heard the Xbox shows an actual specially designed pic when they unlock achievements. That would be pretty cool to have some art work for the unlocks. The PS4 version is dog shit, but I don't blame either devs or SONY for how it turned out. I just think its a shit feature, because as you said half the times its a black screen, blurred pic etc. Waste of time. Just having the time stamp would be best. 

1 hour ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I heard the Xbox shows an actual specially designed pic when they unlock achievements. That would be pretty cool to have some art work for the unlocks. The PS4 version is dog shit, but I don't blame either devs or SONY for how it turned out. I just think its a shit feature, because as you said half the times its a black screen, blurred pic etc. Waste of time. Just having the time stamp would be best. 

That’s a pretty cool idea actually. Like maybe instead of an in-game screenshot, you’d get a piece of game artwork or some kind of specially designed pic with your PSN that was social media ready/could be applied as a theme on your XMB. Or even a picture of your choosing picked in advance (which is exactly what the switcheroo method is right now). Idk... I’m just brainstorming here but tbh really anything at all would be a lot cooler than what we have right now on PS4.

It’s probably too much to ask but heck, even if they just added a simple feature that allows you to adjust the screenshot timer by a second or two it would make a big difference in many games, and ensure you got an actual screenshot applied to your platinum.

14 hours ago, Stardroid said:

Lmfao, I can't believe there are people out there who get worked up about people just wanting to have a nice picture with their platinum. Calling it a new low, turning it into this weird societal commentary. God damn some people really are reaching. Why is this even a topic of conversation? It's just people dressing up their platinum screenshots. Fuck me. 

I have and ive only done a handful of times, especially if i know the game pops the image on something lackluster and I have a better screenshot. I put my time into playing the game and earning my platinum, and I also have a social media page thats separate from my regular one when I post gaming stuff. So yeah, I think it sucks when it pops and I want to share it with other like minded individuals and its just a black screen or a menu lol 

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

Making a fake platinum screenshot is setting a new low to be honest.

So many people anymore are fake. A lot of stuff now is basically Photoshopped, which is sad, and the entire website of DeviantArt is full of that shit. It's one thing to make actual art in drawings or art you made on a computer. But fucking real life pictures?

Fake platinum screenshots are just a waste of time.

The console actually takes two when you do this. The original image stays as the console already captures the image the moment the criteria is met. But theres a few seconds delay and when you swap the platinum icon overlays over whatever is on the screen. So nothing is photoshopped, its the console doing what its able to do..and as far as screen captures, its what the console and Sony allow clearly so I don't see whats wrong with it. How that is setting a new low, makes absolutely no sense to me. It takes all of a double tap of a button to happen. Just because you don't do it doesn't mean it's some god awful atrocious sin of mankind, it's not that serious lol 

I thought this was a trophy website where everyone pretty much displays their virtual awards? I dont see what the big deal is about having a photo of that virtual award that doesnt look like shit. 

6 minutes ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

I thought this was a trophy website where everyone pretty much displays their virtual awards? I dont see what the big deal is about having a photo of that virtual award that doesnt look like shit. 

Because people gripe when a platinum screenshot is a black screen. 

Why would I try to make it look nicer? I’ve had spectacular shots for a platinum image and I’ve had shitty ones. It is what it is.

• Like 1

Just because you want to do a little photoshop work doesn't change the fact you earned the plat. It would only bother me if you claimed to have you got it when you really didn't. When games do give you an opportunity to setup your screen before the trophy pops then I'll take that chance to set something up so I can save at least 1 screenshot from my hard drive. Got a nice one from Far Cry Primal where I centered the Mammoth on screen before the plat trophy popped. Be nice if I could attach the image here to share. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Animator22 said:

Just because you want to do a little photoshop work doesn't change the fact you earned the plat. It would only bother me if you claimed to have you got it when you really didn't. When games do give you an opportunity to setup your screen before the trophy pops then I'll take that chance to set something up so I can save at least 1 screenshot from my hard drive. Got a nice one from Far Cry Primal where I centered the Mammoth on screen before the plat trophy popped. Be nice if I could attach the image here to share. 

It's a complete waste of time. I absolutely hate Photoshop, tried it more times than I count, I just cannot get into that program. But if I was a graphical artist I would focus my attention on making original artwork, not some fake platinum screenshot.

My platinum screenshot of Far Cry Primal was me jumping off that cliff from the highest point in the game, after I did everything else.

I'm all for people planning their platinum screenshot to look nice by saving a certain trophy for last. But don't try to make a fake platinum screenshot if your real one looks like shit. That is completely lame.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

I delete all that stuff anyway so it doesn't matter to me (I didn't start off that way, I had to do something once to fix my PS4 and the walktrhough didn't mention that i should back up my screenshots, so I lost several years worth) Once those were lost, i gave up on them all together. It looked too weird having games that had photos for some trophies, but not for others. 

Edit: Heh, I remember when the PS4 would save the picture of the screen when the trophy popped, not when it was earned. I had several that were pics of my XMB or my trophy list....because they were delayed by like 30 seconds or more and I would check my list to see if it had popped and I didn't notice. Even though i eventually delete them now, I like it better the way it is now. 

Edited by Floorkiller74

23 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

That’s a pretty cool idea actually. Like maybe instead of an in-game screenshot, you’d get a piece of game artwork or some kind of specially designed pic with your PSN that was social media ready/could be applied as a theme on your XMB. Or even a picture of your choosing picked in advance (which is exactly what the switcheroo method is right now). Idk... I’m just brainstorming here but tbh really anything at all would be a lot cooler than what we have right now on PS4.

It’s probably too much to ask but heck, even if they just added a simple feature that allows you to adjust the screenshot timer by a second or two it would make a big difference in many games, and ensure you got an actual screenshot applied to your platinum.

If you think about the amount of concept art and stuff that goes to waste during a game development, they could use stuff like that. For example, Uncharted 50 grenade kills and its Nathan Drake surrounded by grenades or a funny screen with 50 guys around one grenade about to go off. Loads of stuff can be done to make the trophy system enjoyable, but in all honesty I don't think SONY give a shit about it. 

I made a video on it, I honestly don't see the big deal.

Some people take trophy hunting a bit too seriously... like I really don't understand why it would actually annoy anyone.

Most like myself, just delete the screenshots anyways lol or disable trophy screenshots entirely.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Spaz said:

Why would I try to make it look nicer? I’ve had spectacular shots for a platinum image and I’ve had shitty ones. It is what it is.

Well how do you expect your e-peen to grow any bigger if you don’t have pretty pictures to show ppl

25 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

If you think about the amount of concept art and stuff that goes to waste during a game development, they could use stuff like that. For example, Uncharted 50 grenade kills and its Nathan Drake surrounded by grenades or a funny screen with 50 guys around one grenade about to go off. Loads of stuff can be done to make the trophy system enjoyable, but in all honesty I don't think SONY give a shit about it. 

I agree! A lot of games have concept art that you unlock as rewards or can buy with credits or whatever, and most of the time it’s pretty useless. It would be cool if that sort of thing actually had an application. It would sort of be like those occasional platinum themes that Sony e-mails you for certain games.

But yeah, evidently Sony doesn’t give a shit. They’ve never made an effort to spruce up the trophy system or make it more attractive to new PlayStation users or potential customers. And with the way they’ve let companies like Ratalaika run loose I’d say they give approximately zero fucks about the trophy system.

I don’t really get it either. If I worked in the Sony marketing department, I’d be pitching the trophy system as a way to lure in new players or more casual gamers. Get the rewards program going again, more platinum themes, maybe some competitions or player acknowledgement etc. They could really sell it as more integral part of the whole “PlayStation experience” by spicing it up a bit and adding some cool features.

40 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Well how do you expect your e-peen to grow any bigger if you don’t have pretty pictures to show ppl

So looks are what really matter?

People can say whatever they want about my e-peen. I wouldn't care.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I agree! A lot of games have concept art that you unlock as rewards or can buy with credits or whatever, and most of the time it’s pretty useless. It would be cool if that sort of thing actually had an application. It would sort of be like those occasional platinum themes that Sony e-mails you for certain games.

But yeah, evidently Sony doesn’t give a shit. They’ve never made an effort to spruce up the trophy system or make it more attractive to new PlayStation users or potential customers. And with the way they’ve let companies like Ratalaika run loose I’d say they give approximately zero fucks about the trophy system.

I don’t really get it either. If I worked in the Sony marketing department, I’d be pitching the trophy system as a way to lure in new players or more casual gamers. Get the rewards program going again, more platinum themes, maybe some competitions or player acknowledgement etc. They could really sell it as more integral part of the whole “PlayStation experience” by spicing it up a bit and adding some cool features.

I don't have a clue what Ratalika is. Is it a game or an app or something?

But yeah. Shame they don't do so much more with the trophy system. 

As you said, they do actually have some cool things to email you in regards to trophies. In January they sent me this thing which had all my platinums on it as well as what games I spent the most time playing. Why the hell isn't this on the PS4 as standard?!!?!?!?!?! I got a console because I don't wanna be pissing about all over the net to find things out about what the PS4 can possibly do, just get it done on the consoles themselves. They don't even allow for alphabetical order for christ sake lol. 

But to keep on topic about fake platinums or whatever it is. I'm glad its not as much of a mess as it was last gen. People were making apps to sell to people to unlock trophies/achievements. There are some things I can understand why people want to cheat/hack somethings. Leaderboards for example can show a hack and their pals how good they can get into stuff. It sucks for legit players but you can sort of see why they do it. But to just have completions done without even playing them I dunno. I suppose it's then same thing as the leaderboard hackers I suppose, and most likely the majority come from pirate gamers or people who don't invest much coin in their collection.

I dunno. Guess I'm glad I don't think like that though.

13 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I don't have a clue what Ratalika is. Is it a game or an app or something?

500+ posts here and you haven’t come across Ratalaika?! That’s amazing!

Ratalaika is a publisher that takes indie games from other platforms and ports them to PSN, then tacks on trophies and a platinum that can generally be obtained in under an hour, but also generally don’t  even require you to finish the game itself. Then they make release it in multiple regions and make it cross platform so you get pop that platinum over and over again. If you ever see the same game like 4-6 times in someone’s list, that’s what Ratalaika does.

16 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

But to keep on topic about fake platinums or whatever it is.

This isn’t about fake platinums, it’s about legit platinums that people are changing the picture on when they earn it. These people have invested the time and money to earn the plat, but want a different picture than the PS4 takes when they earn it. 

Edited by DaivRules

10 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

500+ posts here and you haven’t come across Ratalaika?! That’s amazing!

Ratalaika is a publisher that takes indie games from other platforms and ports them to PSN, then tacks on trophies and a platinum that can generally be obtained in under an hour, but also generally don’t  even require you to finish the game itself. Then they make release it in multiple regions and make it cross platform so you get pop that platinum over and over again. If you ever see the same game like 4-6 times in someone’s list, that’s what Ratalaika does.

Ahh right. So basically they sort of got the idea of how to use trophies as a marketing tool, but then attached it to shit as they know some just go for the shiny-shiny. See this is where I never understood remasters who then apply online trophies. For me remasters should have stuck to single player trophy lists to continue back catalog sales. Use it as a marathon income rather than day one sales. 

I do find it shocking how the majority of publishers are so dumb when it comes to how much potential the trophy system could gain them financially, but it seems this Ratalaika took it to the very extreme level. 

• 1 year later...

Wow, people care about platinum screenshots?

Wow, people care about platinums?

Wow, people care about trophies?

Wow, people care about video games? 

Wow, people care about digital intangible crap?

At some point, you'll meet someone who wonders why you do what you do. Best to just mind your own damn business, really. If you dont like something, just ignore it. 

25 minutes ago, rmsison1 said:

Wow, people care about platinum screenshots?

Wow, people care about platinums?

Wow, people care about trophies?

Wow, people care about video games? 

Wow, people care about digital intangible crap?

At some point, you'll meet someone who wonders why you do what you do. Best to just mind your own damn business, really. If you dont like something, just ignore it. 

Thanks for contributing to the topic digging.

(take this as a joke)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzZCVjqhY0k9ZliFKR6e-

• Like 1