"Tropicoland" mission is broken

patrickogorman19

With every mission (except Referendum) you start out by building a strong economy. I do this buy building boats. The game will set you up with a decently ran city so you really do not need to make very many improvements. What I always do is build 6 logging camps (make sure they are set to "Give and Take" and  you upgrade them to 50% reduced tree growth). I will then build 4 lumber mills to turn the logs into planks. Lastly, I will make 4 shipyards to produce boats. Shipyards are very slow so I always have an equal amount of lumber mills. If you ever find yourself over producing planks, which never seems to happen for me, you can throw down a furniture factory and solve that issue. Just make sure you think about the logistics of it all when placing the buildings. The last thing you want to do is have them so far apart that you loose all your profit paying the teamsters to drive from one side of the map to the other. After I do this, I usually just hang out for a while and build up an impressive bank account. Since the pre made city they give you is usually self sufficient and they remain happy with everything that is currently available. I never seem to have any problems. 

Now that you have money to burn. It's time to focus on the objective. At this point I usually have at least a million dollars and 50k in the broker from my slush fund. Which gives you plenty of money to focus on fun happiness. Two buildings that make a very big impact and are very under rated are the Snorkeling Bay and Hang gliding station. Keep an eye on the type of residents you have. If they are all poor and you build 100 opera houses, you're just wasting your time. Also, I read that making your restaurants and entertainment buildings set to tourist only will increase the tourists experience since it is exclusive. I was unable to test this. So if you do that, keep in mind that those buildings are unavailable to your people and you will need to build ones that they can actually use.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, StressEater said:

With every mission (except Referendum) you start out by building a strong economy. I do this buy building boats. The game will set you up with a decently ran city so you really do not need to make very many improvements. What I always do is build 6 logging camps (make sure they are set to "Give and Take" and  you upgrade them to 50% reduced tree growth). I will then build 4 lumber mills to turn the logs into planks. Lastly, I will make 4 shipyards to produce boats. Shipyards are very slow so I always have an equal amount of lumber mills. If you ever find yourself over producing planks, which never seems to happen for me, you can throw down a furniture factory and solve that issue. Just make sure you think about the logistics of it all when placing the buildings. The last thing you want to do is have them so far apart that you loose all your profit paying the teamsters to drive from one side of the map to the other. After I do this, I usually just hang out for a while and build up an impressive bank account. Since the pre made city they give you is usually self sufficient and they remain happy with everything that is currently available. I never seem to have any problems. 

Now that you have money to burn. It's time to focus on the objective. At this point I usually have at least a million dollars and 50k in the broker from my slush fund. Which gives you plenty of money to focus on fun happiness. Two buildings that make a very big impact and are very under rated are the Snorkeling Bay and Hang gliding station. Keep an eye on the type of residents you have. If they are all poor and you build 100 opera houses, you're just wasting your time. Also, I read that making your restaurants and entertainment buildings set to tourist only will increase the tourists experience since it is exclusive. I was unable to test this. So if you do that, keep in mind that those buildings are unavailable to your people and you will need to build ones that they can actually use.

I know how to make money the problem is when I put a lot entertainment buildings in one area it seems to decrease the fun happiness in tropico 5 it was the opposite. I have mixed a variety people. some of the objectives require you to build entertainment buildings, I guess I have to be careful which entertainment I put need a housing or tourists accomodation.

You are missing something. Have you looked into accessibility? You can spam all the entertainment buildings in the world but if your people cant get to them then its just pointless. Issue the Free Cars edict and throw down a couple car ports in the area where your entertainment buildings are. Or throw in some Metro Stations around town and see if that will work. Just bare in mind that they do not work for island to island travel. My "go to" buildings are Restaurants, Cocktail Bars, and Fast Food Joints when it comes to feeding my people (Plus I will have a mall and provide the 11 food options at all times). My "go to" buildings for entertainment are the Snorkel bay and Hang gliding. Just make sure you throw down one of those $300 docks so people can access the snorkel area. Circus and Gardens are OK because poor people can go there but they take up a lot of room. For that mission, I remember that I did not change any of my entertainment/ fun buildings to "tourist only". 

• Like 1

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but I found (As I'd hit about 62 / 70 Happiness) that although I had put out a nice variety of entertainment (for all levels of wealth and tourists/residents) with access, that I put down a Ministry and one of the options in there you can hire (I believe a Capitalist candidate) and it gives you + efficiency when any building is set to max budget. I employed them, and then went into the Almanac and went through every entertainment building and set them all to max budget. This meant nearly every entertainment venue was running at over 100% efficiency (The ones that weren't, I demolished and built something that was) and about 10-15 minutes real time I completed the task and could easily watch the number increase.

Not sure if this will help for you, but just something I found worked for me, as I had ensured there was every entertainment type and lots of access so I was a little stumped too  ? (Edit: I only managed to complete this mission last night!) 

Edited by EmzOLV
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 5:40 AM, StressEater said:

What I always do is build 6 logging camps (make sure they are set to "Give and Take" and  you upgrade them to 50% reduced tree growth). I will then build 4 lumber mills to turn the logs into planks. Lastly, I will make 4 shipyards to produce boats. Shipyards are very slow so I always have an equal amount of lumber mills. If you ever find yourself over producing planks, which never seems to happen for me, you can throw down a furniture factory and solve that issue. Just make sure you think about the logistics of it all when placing the buildings. The last thing you want to do is have them so far apart that you loose all your profit paying the teamsters to drive from one side of the map to the other. After I do this, I usually just hang out for a while and build up an impressive bank account. Since the pre made city they give you is usually self sufficient and they remain happy with everything that is currently available. I never seem to have any problems. 

Super helpful advice! In Tropico 5 and Tropico 6, I used the goat farm/creamery method instead of logging camps/lumber mills/boats (the creamery seemed to work well enough without electricity and required few high school graduates), but it was the same idea: specialize in one strong export as a beginning strategy.

I didn't know about hang-gliding and snorkeling entertainment. Thanks! Other overlooked economic boosts are the Tannery, Cigar Factory, and Rum Distillery. Tanneries (Leather, $5400) raise the value of Hides ($750) over 700%. Cigars ($11,500) quintuple the value of Tobacco ($2,150), and Rum ($9,200) increases the value of Sugar ($2500) by 360%. None of those three industries require electricity to function, so you don't have to worry about finding a coal mine and dropping $12,000 just to get started.

Edited by poetic_justice_

• 2 years later...

Kind of an annoying mission, it seems. I spent hours building a steady economy, taking care of housing, food happiness and catering to the whims of the factions steadily. And still the election ends my game. What gives?