XBOX Question

Kristen Danielle 2

Hi! I am currently writing a walkthrough and guide for Dante's Inferno and I have a question about achievements on the XBOX 360. I know that Playstation trophies are broken down into bronze, silver, gold, and platinum categories, but I'm trying to understand how the achievements are measured. I'm on a site called XBOX Achievements and I see that each achievement is worth however many "Gs" and that there is a total score at the top that represents 100%. Is this number the same for all games? Also, what do the Gs stand for? I'm basically looking for a quick explanation on the achievements system and to be educated on the exact terminology that is used for XBOXes, as I've never owned one.

G stands for gamerscore, and can be any variable (like 1g for an achievement) but the base amount for a game now has to be 1000g for all games since the xbox one, 360 games for acrade games started at 200g, then went to 400g but main full retail titles have always been 1000g (some exceptions at the start were 900 but dlc achievements added to make it 1000 for games that launched with the system). DLC can add gamerscore and no limit on how much it can add, you will see some games like the master chief collection for X1 with 6000g and over 400 achievements as their lists are more cloud based now (which causes so many problems) they don't split things unlike sony have to for games like hitman 2, train sim world and ESO etc.

Edited by FrozenLionheart

The Xbox achievement system works on Gamerscore (Gs).  For full titles, a game would usually have 1000gs or gamerscore, with the harder or rarer trophies equivalent to Gold and Silver trophies usually (but not always) having a higher Gamerscore award tied to the achievement.  For example, a normal bronze trophy equivalent might have 10gs, or 20gs or 30gs, whereas a silver might have 50gs or 100gs, Gold trophy equivalents might have even more.  Depending on the game/developer, this figure could really be anything.

Base games usually have 1000gs unless they are older Xbox Arcade titles which used to have 200 gamerscore each and now I think that is increased to 400gs.  You could consider those equivalents to games that don't have trophies I guess.  On top of that you obviously have dlc which will (but not always) have achievements and gamerscore as well, and that can literally take some games into the thousands depending on the amount of content/dlc.

Gs means gsmerscore. On Xbox 360 every retail game will have base gamerscore of 1000G and dlcs with a max of further 1000G. Arcade games used to be 200G and later increased to 400G. Moving to Xbox one all games retail or indies will have base game score of 1000G and no limit on max score for dlcs.

Unfortunately nothing much evolved in achievement system besides the gamerscore. So you can’t really categorise like the difficulty of the achievement etc.

Some gamers thought this is BS because simply hitting a start button on Simpsons will award an achievement for 5g and completing whole game with only one weapon on ninja gaiden 2 also awarded an achievement for 5g. This lead to a discovery of whole new aggregate website called trueachievements. They have their own calculation on determining the difficulty of an achievement based on ratio. Check out the website and register if you want. I am an active member there and it’s fun. Supkris is my GT

Just now, Kristen Danielle said:

Okay! That makes sense! Dante's Inferno has a Gamerscore of 1290 points. So, I'm assuming that's 1000G for the base game and an additional 290 for the DLC?

Yep, sometimes they end up with very odd values for total score....and it really can bug achievement hunters to no end.

Just now, Kristen Danielle said:

Yeah, it seems like it would be more efficient to keep it at 1000G all around. 

People would rather it end in at 250, 500 or 000 (especially with how games are now) when its like 1,910 or something, I was on the xbox last gen and started on it this gen (PS3 really didn't have anything great for me till near the end of its lifecycle which really blew) but have switched over fully to playstation pretty much now gaming wise (still play a bit of my backlog on the X1 but extremely rarely) no point buying 3rd party games on a system I don't really use now, and the only good console exclusives they had this gen was sunset overdrive and ori and the blind forest/will of the wisps .... may play halo infinite via game pass when it launches so I can see what they've done with it but apart from that no interest in the console anymore :D

• Like 1

I was exclusively an Xbox gamer for the last 6 years, losing my gamer score and starting fresh on PlayStation was the only thing stopping me to be honest but I finally made the switch recently and haven’t looked back. I much prefer the difficulty rating system with trophies (bronze, silver gold).

If I’m giving a completely unbiased opinion, the only thing I think Microsoft do better than Sony with the achievements is that most games have a tracker built in so you can see how close you are to unlocking something. For example if you have to headshot 100 enemies and you have 50 then the achievement will show up as 50% completed with a progress bar 

• Like 2