Did I mess up my PS3?

SUPERVIRAL

So for awhile my ps3 would turn for less than a minute then turn off. I finally decided to open it and try to clear all the dust hoping that fix the problem. I used a air cannister then put it back together but now it wont even show the red light. I hope i didnt just completely fry this system. Any help?

Edit- got it to turn on but it still turns off after a minute. 

Edited by SUPERVIRAL

What model is your PS3? Slim or big? Do you have it since the PS3 came out?
I had a PS3 since launch, the big one (I don't think the slim version was available at first) and there was a model problem with the hardware. I can't remember much anymore, something got overheated and got 'fried' if I'm not mistaken. The problem was solved in later models I believe. My first PS3 had the same problem all of a sudden - it just shut down after a few minutes. Eventually I could save some game files on a flash drive with some persistence, but the PS3 was basically dead. I bought a second, slim PS3 and never had any problem with it.
Sadly I can't give any advice other than to try and secure your game saves if necessary ?

Does it boot normally? Or just black screen?

And for anyone reading this for future reference, never use canned air, always a vacuum or other technique. 

Air just pushes the tiny particles under the chipsets and contacts where they will do more damage.

Canned air bad

But I don't think this is your problem, it's likely another chip overheating or a mosfet transistor that took out my old fat PS3.

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 1

Yeah mine was the 'Fat', got it the first day PS3 released and the problem neko-chan is addressing is the 'YLOD' or "Yellow Light of Doom". So when your PS3 turns off, do you see a yellow light? Never once before a game system broke on me until this one, it was while playing Okami back in 2014, so after 7 years of use. After that I got a slim which is working great. So yeah, if it's a yellow light the best thing you can do is copy/upload all savedatas you wish to keep. The issue was due to their poorly termal paste and especially the use of tin to meld the CPU instead of adding lead. 

The easiest workaround -this only served to give it enough life to recover your data- was to use a drier on the back for a while to melt back the tin, you can find many videos that show you how to do this and which area to aim for. The ultimate solution is what many shops claimed they would make, which is switch the tin for lead and meld it again with new termal paste, yet in many users experience and my own, it only lasted two weeks for me, so it was a scam, they probably just used the drier method or something slightly more professional. So if it's a yellow light issue on a first model fat PS3 I'd just use this method to recover any data, unless you have all sync and buy a slim.

• Like 2

Did you reconnect the PSU? Is it grounded?

Also, compressed air is never the answer. Small electronics vacuums are preferred. Either way, sounds like you need new thermal compound on the CPU & GPU heatsinks.

• Like 2

does it beeps three times before it shutting itself down?

does it gave you a message at the top right of the screen telling you the system is overheating before the shut down?

if that's the case then I think you need to apply a new thermal paste on the GPU chip, that was my case back then as even when I clean it's ventilation and the fan it still didn't help untill i send it for repair and the shop only replace the dry out paste with a new one to get the job done.

though if it's just shut down without any warning then I think that's an electricity problem on the mother board itself.

• Like 1

If new thermal paste on the procs doesn't help, you may need a "delid" fix. Worst case scenario (like me), you'd need your chips "reballed" with new leaded solder. "Reflow" method (heat gun/blow dryer) is a temporary patch at best and not advised unless you're out of options.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Masamune said:

Cleaning the dust out would probably only help if it was overheating or something, & I don't think that's the case since it shuts off that quick... My first guess would be you may have a problem with your power supply. :hmm:

It might be. I dont have the money for that at the moment.

18 hours ago, neko-chan251191 said:

What model is your PS3? Slim or big? Do you have it since the PS3 came out?
I had a PS3 since launch, the big one (I don't think the slim version was available at first) and there was a model problem with the hardware. I can't remember much anymore, something got overheated and got 'fried' if I'm not mistaken. The problem was solved in later models I believe. My first PS3 had the same problem all of a sudden - it just shut down after a few minutes. Eventually I could save some game files on a flash drive with some persistence, but the PS3 was basically dead. I bought a second, slim PS3 and never had any problem with it.
Sadly I can't give any advice other than to try and secure your game saves if necessary 1f914.png

it is the slim model. I got it for christmas 2011, the uncharted 3 bundle. It doesn't show up on the tv before it shuts off so i can't reach my saves.

18 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

Does it boot normally? Or just black screen?

And for anyone reading this for future reference, never use canned air, always a vacuum or other technique. 

Air just pushes the tiny particles under the chipsets and contacts where they will do more damage.

Canned air bad

But I don't think this is your problem, it's likely another chip overheating or a mosfet transistor that took out my old fat PS3.

I could post a video of what is happening when i turn it on?

So it could be one of a multitude of problems. Thanks for the input, Ill look into. Also sorry for the late reply, didn't think anyone was replying.

29 minutes ago, SUPERVIRAL said:

I did see a couple things around where people had a similar problem, apparently they adjusted something on the power supply that fixed it (2 white screws?). I think this is a video for it:

I've never messed with that stuff though (I have the fat model anyways), & if you adjust a power supply the wrong way, it could make things a lot worse. ? So definitely research it some beforehand if you decide to try it out.

1 hour ago, SUPERVIRAL said:

it is the slim model. I got it for christmas 2011, the uncharted 3 bundle. It doesn't show up on the tv before it shuts off so i can't reach my saves.

I could post a video of what is happening when i turn it on?

So it could be one of a multitude of problems. Thanks for the input, Ill look into. Also sorry for the late reply, didn't think anyone was replying.

Hmm that's pretty bad news if it's not showing anything

I imagine you already attempted safe mode?

Activating Safe Mode on PlayStation®3

1. Turn off the PlayStation®3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

2. Touch and hold the Power button (do not remove your finger from the button). You will hear the first beep meaning the PS3 is powering on. 

3. Continue to hold the Power button, and after about 5 seconds you will hear a second beep indicating the video reset.

4. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

5. Touch and hold the Power button (again, do not remove your finger from the button). As in Step 2, you will hear the first beep, again for the PS3 to power on.

6. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.

7. Continue to hold the Power button, and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button".

8. Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PS3 and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode. You will now see the Safe Mode menu

If nothing still shows up on the screen and it's still black then a video would def help to diagnose a little, if we can

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Masamune said:

I did see a couple things around where people had a similar problem, apparently they adjusted something on the power supply that fixed it (2 white screws?). I think this is a video for it:

I've never messed with that stuff though (I have the fat model anyways), & if you adjust a power supply the wrong way, it could make things a lot worse. 1f605.png So definitely research it some beforehand if you decide to try it out.

Ill try this out.

9 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Activating Safe Mode on PlayStation00ae.png3

1. Turn off the PlayStation00ae.png3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

2. Touch and hold the Power button (do not remove your finger from the button). You will hear the first beep meaning the PS32122.png is powering on. 

3. Continue to hold the Power button, and after about 5 seconds you will hear a second beep indicating the video reset.

4. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

5. Touch and hold the Power button (again, do not remove your finger from the button). As in Step 2, you will hear the first beep, again for the PS32122.png to power on.

6. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.

7. Continue to hold the Power button, and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button".

8. Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PS32122.png and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode. You will now see the Safe Mode menu

If nothing still shows up on the screen and it's still black then a video would def help to diagnose a little, if we can

I will try that right now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Activating Safe Mode on PlayStation00ae.png3

1. Turn off the PlayStation00ae.png3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

2. Touch and hold the Power button (do not remove your finger from the button). You will hear the first beep meaning the PS32122.png is powering on. 

5. Touch and hold the Power button (again, do not remove your finger from the button). As in Step 2, you will hear the first beep, again for the PS32122.png to power on.

8. Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PS32122.png and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode. You will now see the Safe Mode menu

Cant seem to activate safe mode

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 0:56 PM, SUPERVIRAL said:

it still turns off after a minute

Sounds like a thermal sensor is being triggered, either because the chip is too hot or (less likely) due to a faulty thermal sensor.

Investigate "delid" and (best bet) "reball" repair services from reputable shops (not Lifetime Services, they're a joke).

I thought my PS3 broke today.

We had a major thunderstorm yesterday and I lost all power to my house. This morning I went to turn on my PS3 and it wouldn't turn on. I assumed it was fried and then noticed it had become unplugged somehow ?

Crisis averted :D

15 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Sounds like a thermal sensor is being triggered, either because the chip is too hot or (less likely) due to a faulty thermal sensor.

Investigate "delid" and (best bet) "reball" repair services from reputable shops (not Lifetime Services, they're a joke).

Ill look into it thanks.

3 hours ago, SUPERVIRAL said:

Cant seem to activate safe mode

Ok ya that pretty much rules out that it boots

And that I think the damage is done, and that changing thermal paste is like bandaging a dead horse...

Makes me want to do new thermal paste on my PS4 now to catch it before anything happens....

At this point...

Hmm......

Sense you don't have the money....

Your #1 goal should be to get the saves off and on a USB, unless your saves are already backed up.

Because I think it's not gonna come back unless you spend a chunk of money to reball, and that doesn't mean it'll fix the issue.

If it was me... And with little money (which is a lot of people right now, myself included)

And ps3s arnt that expensive used, but still money, and a new one would guaranteed (hopefully) that it would last another 5-10 years+

While a reball or repair shop has no guarantees.

I would heat it up to reflow the solder to see if it that lets it boot. 

Then get the saves off fast.

After that... Then decide how to spend the money if any at all

A reflow is not permanent, the solder will crack again or become detached by the heat, within minutes to hours to weeks, longer if you're lucky (if that's the issue to begin with).

Reflow is used mostly just to quickly get saves off if you don't have the money to have someone look at it.

And then just get a new/used ps3 when you can.

If you want to wait till you have the money to go to a repair shop, that is ideal for getting the saves back.

But there is no guarantee they can fix it, and they may charge you regardless, and it may not last anyway. Can't be certain of anything

When I had mine give the Yellow light of death, I had a guy reball it, but didn't charge me because it still didn't work because it was a bad mosfet transistor. But that was a decade ago

Id like to say it's not grim, but it sounds grim

This is all coming from an economic and speed standpoint.

Now anything can be fixed yourself, granted you have the skills, knowledge, equipment, and supplies. But sense you're asking, I don't think that's the case. And tbh I don't have all the equipment or supplies either. And its cheaper for me to buy a used one than to spend months checking every connection, transistor, diode, resistor, etc and mapping it out to diagnose.

I would personally again, focus on the saves, and then the system itself.

But it doesn't sound like it's going to be coming back permanently either way

And besides, a used PS3 is $110.00 at gamestop. To get yours reballed would cost not much less, if at all.

Of course there's not a lot guaranteed with a used one either besides it will work when you buy it with whatever warranty they have. So if it goes bad within that period you're at least guaranteed another for free.

I hope it all works out <3

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

Ok ya that pretty much rules out that it boots

And that I think the damage is done, and that changing thermal paste is like bandaging a dead horse...

Makes me want to do new thermal paste on my PS4 now to catch it before anything happens....

At this point...

Hmm......

Sense you don't have the money....

Your #1 goal should be to get the saves off and on a USB, unless your saves are already backed up.

Because I think it's not gonna come back unless you spend a chunk of money to reball, and that doesn't mean it'll fix the issue.

If it was me... And with little money (which is a lot of people right now, myself included)

And ps3s arnt that expensive used, but still money, and a new one would guaranteed (hopefully) that it would last another 5-10 years+

While a reball or repair shop has no guarantees.

I would heat it up to reflow the solder to see if it that lets it boot. 

Then get the saves off fast.

After that... Then decide how to spend the money if any at all

A reflow is not permanent, the solder will crack again or become detached by the heat, within minutes to hours to weeks, longer if you're lucky (if that's the issue to begin with).

Reflow is used mostly just to quickly get saves off if you don't have the money to have someone look at it.

And then just get a new/used ps3 when you can.

If you want to wait till you have the money to go to a repair shop, that is ideal for getting the saves back.

But there is no guarantee they can fix it, and they may charge you regardless, and it may not last anyway. Can't be certain of anything

When I had mine give the Yellow light of death, I had a guy reball it, but didn't charge me because it still didn't work because it was a bad mosfet transistor. But that was a decade ago

Id like to say it's not grim, but it sounds grim

This is all coming from an economic and speed standpoint.

Now anything can be fixed yourself, granted you have the skills, knowledge, equipment, and supplies. But sense you're asking, I don't think that's the case. And tbh I don't have all the equipment or supplies either. And its cheaper for me to buy a used one than to spend months checking every connection, transistor, diode, resistor, etc and mapping it out to diagnose.

I would personally again, focus on the saves, and then the system itself.

But it doesn't sound like it's going to be coming back permanently either way

And besides, a used PS3 is $110.00 at gamestop. To get yours reballed would cost not much less, if at all.

Of course there's not a lot guaranteed with a used one either besides it will work when you buy it with whatever warranty they have. So if it goes bad within that period you're at least guaranteed another for free.

I hope it all works out <3

I have another ps3 i just really wanted to get some of my saves off this one. But its fine. Ill make sure to back up my saves up from now on. Thanks for the help though.

• Like 1