PS5 Games - $69.99

DEI2EK

9 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Haha most of you guys have it easy. 70 dollars for a ps5 game? Thats nothing. Games cost 90 dollars here. Even worse for canadians and australians.

We're not out of the woodwork yet, ps4 games have a 20 euro increase from the ps3 games, reaching 70 (still higher than 60 dollars after taking inflation into consideration aka 76 dollars), I can definitely see a 10 euro price increase, or another 20, if they feel ballsy.

Honestly, Sony's pricing model is completely retarded,  someone from Southern Italy like me, has to pay  more than another from California or New York,  if we take inflation into consideration, then so should  buying power of several countries, they are already making it hard to buy from a different store region after all.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

1 hour ago, talespagni said:

While it's true games cost more than before, and take a lot more time to produce than before too, it's also true their revenue is substancially greater than years ago.

Everybody knows the gaming industry has already surpassed the movie industry in terms of revenue.

You see and read many news per year saying that so and so company's market value has increased, while their overall sales and profit margins exceeded previous year's goals.

So, it's a very profitable business model based on those arguments above.

My point is, I don't buy this argument which says "the current model is unsustainable, we have to raise prices", etc.

Same applies to banks.

While it's true that games are generating more revenue than ever before, the truth is quite nuanced. Let's take Sony's record-breaking 2018-2019 results as an example: 

Sony-2018-19-FY-Results-05-Segment-Resul

Although their video game division generated almost 3 times more revenue than their music division, the operating income is only about 33-34% higher (311.1 billion yen vs 232.5 billion yen). As a result, their video game division is still not *that* much more profitable despite generating far more revenue during a record-breaking year. In fact, increased budgets can easily eat up their ~13% operating margin. Increasing the price of games at the beginning of a console generation makes the most sense in terms of future-proofing in case budgets do increase. Furthermore, their shareholders likely expect the operating income to reflect the increase in the size of the industry.

I am in no way defending price increases for garbage-tier games that are already filled with microtransactions, but if this allows some studios to pursue their vision without potential budget limitations in the future, then I don't see a problem. 

Edited by Tentativeuser
Clarification
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

It's one variable in the equation to be sure but 5-10 year dev cycles and bleeding edge visuals on AAA games have nothing to do with economics. 

Passing the cost onto gamers because your business management problems is pure propaganda, however. 

This exact case is T2 wanting to keep their overvalued stock price as high as possible and to do that they need either more microtransactions or a higher base price. 

The market is due for a big correction soon. 

• Like 2

I find it strange that people seem to be okish with this, I mean I get tech is getting better but with how the devs are with this whole get it out and then patch it work bs I would much rather it be cheaper like say £40 or at the mark it is at now like £50 anymore they need to be like the old days where the game is out the door and there is barely any problems, like take resident evil 3 remake, it is for the most part alright and is a normal nothing big or game breaking but yeah. I know I come off like a two face but am just seeing it from the point of view of someone who played ps2 gen and 3 and 4 and is now going to be having to pick if they want to go to ps5 but yeah I am kind of sick of getting a game and there is patches you need to download to make the game run normal or a patch to stop a game breaking bug and so on, I mean just get real game testers and or hear the game testers out £70 or £60 is like saying they will make sure it is fixed and works ok with nothing big slowing it down or game breaking bugs and so on.

Am not a fool who thinks that every bug will be gone no, I mean the big ones they leave in, like take the one in days gone that is still there, if you play the game for so long the game starts to break, if you try to go into the mission area where you do stealth you get screwed due to how it bugging out because you played the game too long. Sure coming off the game and going back in fixes it but still this should of been fixed. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

It's one variable in the equation to be sure but 5-10 year dev cycles and bleeding edge visuals on AAA games have nothing to do with economics. 

Passing the cost onto gamers because your business management problems is pure propaganda, however. 

This exact case is T2 wanting to keep their overvalued stock price as high as possible and to do that they need either more microtransactions or a higher base price. 

The market is due for a big correction soon. 

Everyone is someone else's consumer though. The devs that make games are consumers that need to pay off their various bills; mortgage, student loans, car note, children...
TakeTwo is a consumer to the NBA. The NBA increased the Take Two's license fee to 1 billion for the next 7 years. Double what is previously was.  

Passing on the cost to consumers is business 101. You don't run a business to break even. When costs cut into profits then prices have to increase.

I hardly ever buy games new upon release, and I'll be waiting a while before jumping into the next gen so this is a non-issue for me.

However, I think this bump will have a significant impact on choosing which games to pre-order/D1 purchase for a lot of people. Not everyone has the luxury to buy every game s/he wants day 1 or are cheapskates like me.

• Like 1

If I can get a premium complete experience for $70 that's perfectly fine.

But fuck those games like 2k, charge $70 then have endless amounts of microtransactions. Imo the sports games should be cheaper since the majority of money they make is from the whales.

Watch GTA V on PS5 even be $70 as well. (Online is free for 3 months only and we have no idea what they'll charge after)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'm curious how this will affect other territories. Here in the UK, game prices have already gone up this generation. From what I remember, AAA games last gen used to go for £39.99 at launch, but now it seems like £49.99 is the standard. I even see new games priced at £54.99 on occasion. That's already pushing it as far as I'm concerned, so I definitely wouldn't want to see it go higher any than that. I've mostly stopped purchasing AAA games at launch now because I rarely play them at launch anyway, and by the time I get around to it, the game has significantly dropped in price. Feels like a waste of money... These days I only buy a game at launch if I want to play it right away or if it's a niche Japanese game I want to support.

I would like to think the increase in price would mean we get less microtransactions in AAA games, but we all know publishers can't help themselves...

I agree 100% and also would add that id buy a niche western game too. But im sure you would too so all good.

If these game execs stopped paying themselves soo much money surely they could knock the prices a little....?

I mean you hear the stories of ridiculous pay i.e. Bobby Kotick at Activision-Blizzard etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, talespagni said:

While it's true games cost more than before, and take a lot more time to produce than before too, it's also true their revenue is substantially greater than years ago.

Everybody knows the gaming industry has already surpassed the movie industry in terms of revenue.

You see and read many news per year saying that so and so company's market value has increased, while their overall sales and profit margins exceeded previous year's goals.

So, it's a very profitable business model based on those arguments above.

My point is, I don't buy this argument which says "the current model is unsustainable, we have to raise prices", etc.

Same applies to banks.

This^

If true, then these prices are disgusting and just another sign of the growing greed of many publishers. If I ever do get a PS5, I'll only be getting games when they're on sale, because I'm not forking out such an obscene amount when many games are already content deficient and not worth the launch day price.

• Like 2

A big scummy move that 2K are pulling with NBA 2K21 is that to get the next gen upgrade on XSX and PS5 for free, you need to buy the edition with Kobe Bryant on the cover art, which costs like $100. If you have the $60 PS4/Xbox One version, you have to re buy it on next gen systems. 

Also don’t mind paying like £10 more for games from only good and trusted publishers like CDPR and Sony for actually giving us decent and feature complete games. Wouldn’t pay the extra money for games from EA, Activision, Ubisoft and Take Two. 

Edited by Noskillzpro407

Is it somewhat disappointing at the possibility of $69.99 becoming the new standard for next-gen game prices? Yes. Will it make me not purchase new games for the PS5 because they are "too expensive"? Nope. Gaming is (and has always been) an expensive hobby (spending hundreds on consoles/gaming PC's, $29.99 to $59.99 on games, etc), so why freak out over a $10 increase in prices for next-gen games if they do end up delivering a high quality, truly next-generation gaming experience on the Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X?

Sure, it may mean that my gaming budget takes a $10 bigger hit with each purchase, but it isn't something that will have a massive impact on my ability to purchase and enjoy quality games. All I need to do is make a few minor adjustments to how I budget out money for games and possibly trade in some older games from my collection to help soften the blow (if Gamestop is still around by the end of the year). If Gamestop does end up going the way of the dodo bird (extinct) by the time the PS5 launches this winter due to the Coronavirus pandemic, I won't be able to lower the cost to me by trading in older games that I don't play anymore. It would be a bummer for sure, but it won't stop me for purchasing PS5 games at $69.99.

However, games that are loaded with Micro-Transactions (looking at you, EA/Activision/2K) should be forced to be sold at $59.99 no matter what on the next-gen consoles (PS5/Xbox Series X), with the additional revenue being made up by gamers who invest in those micro-transactions instead of forcing the higher price ($69.99) onto the gaming community for developers that choose to charge for in-game items instead of making them unlockable via progress in their games.

Edited by MossyOakRcn42
  • Like 1

Yikes so games in Canada will be 100 bucks a pop. I figured that would be the case. I hope there's better online deals or games go on sale more often. I've noticed there are still some that have never been on sale despite being out for several months. Also, don't leave games at full prices for years after release.

Edited by Upendo_Vitani

Considering inflation, it's amazing we've had it this good for so long

In the 90s even non popular games were more, and took less time to make

But it's been very very cheap to be a gamer for decades, so this is nothing compared to what it "should" be according to inflation

Am I happy about it? Of course not, I'm the consumer. But I understand and will pay as I usually do as needed.

And to Sony and Microsoft all digital no thank you, I like to keep my games at that price tyvm

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, djb5f said:

Launch prices for digital will continue to match physical ($69.99 for PS5)

In Europe digital games are already 70€ when physicals are still found everywhere for 50-60€. Not to mention the lack of the ability to resell your games and buying used and it gets real expensive real fast.

I will not even consider the digital only console, even if it was 300€ cheaper.

• Like 2