PS5 Games - $69.99

DEI2EK

5 hours ago, DaivRules said:

This'll be MSRP for AAA PS5 games.

And even if they are $70, they're still cheaper than SNES games when they were new considering inflation.

It's never been a cheaper time to be a gamer!

I remember paying $70 for Shadowrun on SNES when it first came out. 

I am not surprised that they might raise the price. Truth be told it is well over due. However, prices are getting a little high as is. I have already transitioned towards buying my games on sale. It is not even the price factor for me. It is just that I feel like most games are not worth full price. I would rather wait for them to go on sale. Now, if it is an amazing game, then that might change my mind and I may pay full price. 

Not a problem if they were complete games at least, but now 69.99 + 29.99 Season Pass will make now an Ubisoft/EA regular game a 99.99 one...

P.S. And I'm here playing PS3 PSN+ games xD.... I think that TLoU2 and probably GoT have been the last games full price that I have bought in years...

Edited by DeepEyes7

38 minutes ago, Barbeqmeister said:

In Europe digital games are already 70€ when physicals are still found everywhere for 50-60€. Not to mention the lack of the ability to resell your games and buying used and it gets real expensive real fast.

I will not even consider the digital only console, even if it was 300€ cheaper.

All games costs 70 Euro in Germany since many years. Are they cheaper in other Countries? I bought Ghost of Tsushima for 69,99 Euro last week, it's the normal price here for Standard Editions since 10+ years. And 70 Euro are 70 Dollar. Usually I only buy in Sales.

Edited by Sikutai

6 hours ago, Zircon_Lotus said:

If this is true I will probably be fucked. My country economy is in shambles, so PS5 games would be really expensive.

HAH! 400 reais a game lol (almost half the minimum wage)

I never buy day one 1 games and I'll probably keep like that, always waiting for them to cost $10 or less after a few years.

3 minutes ago, EdinhoN said:

HAH! 400 reais a game lol (almost half the minimum wage)

I never buy day one 1 games and I'll probably keep like that, always waiting for them to cost $10 or less after a few years.

Exactly. I didnt mention how much of the minimum wage it would be because, let's be frank, folks paid the minimum wage in our country cant even have the privilege to think about buying a PS3, let's not even talk about next gen. I know many that didnt move from the PS2.

The last game that I bought full price was Nioh, because I reeealy wanted to play that, but usually I wait until they are max 150 BRL to buy. 

4 hours ago, Tentativeuser said:

Sony Music is actually one of the most profitable divisions since they own the rights to so many iconic songs and they also own Fate Grand Order, one of the biggest mobile games in the world. A lot of what they do is free money compared to the gaming division.

FYI My pre orer of Scarlet Nexus was still $59.99

qBsI4Qu.png

Edited by majob
  • Like 2

A major factor is exchange rates. 

Games in the UK were £39.99 for years (now $48 at the time I write this) but with Brexit the exchange rate fell from 1.48 to 1.25, and around that time Game and HMV hiked the prices to £49.99 and £54.99 for most new games. 

Although the RRP in $ terms has been the same for 15 years +, other countries have seen gradual rises (but never drops) or stagnation of price over the years. Euro countries are the same from when I visited the Fnac and GameStop stores there. 

We had it good for too long and given the expense of making AAA games, the amount of developers and the time taken to make them, the price had to rise at some point. 

Edited by MiloFPS

4 hours ago, AlchemistWer said:

I'm curious how JRPG will cost now on PS5... pay 70$ for games like Neptunia, Senran kagura or even Atelier is maybe too much.

i think itll partially be up to developer. Just like whether they have it be backward compatible on ps5 or they just release it on ps4 only.

i get what you're saying though,  the first two Cold Steel on ps4 were 50 Canadian. Now 3 and 4 are 80 Canadian. 

Scarlet Nexus is an odd one, because its supposed to be ps4 and ps5, if it isnt that different on ps5, whats stopping anyone from saving $10 and buying the ps4 version instead to play on the ps5? 

Games will be sold here in my country for $200-$250 each I can see that coming and those retailers pricing it will start losing money because of this like I've already seen PS4 games priced on $125.
I always buy games at discount regardless if physical or digital versions so no problems for me if they start pricing games at $69.99.

9 hours ago, DaivRules said:

This'll be MSRP for AAA PS5 games.

And even if they are $70, they're still cheaper than SNES games when they were new considering inflation.

It's never been a cheaper time to be a gamer!

Bruh, SNES were $80 lol

• Like 1

Makes sense. Games are getting more expensive to make. But from a consumer perspective, it still sucks, right? Everyone wants things as cheap as possible. 

I rarely buy on launch, so this isn’t a big deal. But I wouldn’t mind paying $70 if a game is pretty big, will get me hundreds of hour’s worth of playtime out of it, offer replay value, and keep me occupied for ages. That’d likely actually help me save money, compared to buying small-ish titles frequently that still don’t keep me as busy.

With higher price tags, I’d like to see to see an increase in standards/quality (looking at you especially, Bethesda. No more players fixing glitches and polishing your games for you).

Games can be expensive. ($60, currently)

Not all expensive games are good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sikutai said:

All games costs 70 Euro in Germany since many years. Are they cheaper in other Countries? I bought Ghost of Tsushima for 69,99 Euro last week, it's the normal price here for Standard Editions since 10+ years. And 70 Euro are 70 Dollar. Usually I only buy in Sales.

Only digital games cost 70 at the start,and dats not always like dat.Physicaly u get every game 10-20 euro cheaper then in the psn store.I bought ghost of tsushima for 55 euro. Btw 70 euro  is 78,68 dollar atm.

Understandable that they have to increase the costs to adjust for inflation and how much more money has to be put in to develop games nowadays.

There's some game developers whose games don't seem to justify the $60 launch price already. Either they're really short or they're filled with bugs, making the game a slog to play. Increasing the price to $70 will only increase expectations as to what a game has to offer when it launches.

$60 was already a steep price for a day 1 purchase for me, and it made me choose my games very carefully. Increasing it to $70 will definitely make me even more cautious when purchasing a game day 1. I'd only consider doing it for a studio that I trust will deliver a great game and if the game looks phenomenal (games like Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk 2077, Dying Light 2, etc.). I'll still be waiting for sales though because my backlog is large enough, so this doesn't really affect me.

Not surprised tbh. Total price is now $101.69 (CAD) for a regular edition. Better to just wait for a price drop.

How can 2K games come out and say, Its built from the ground up for next gen?.............. When its on Ps4, Xbox One AND PC?

IF it was a Ps5 / Series X only game ONLY then I could understand the price?

I saw on Base.com, All Ps5 preorder games are £69.99 (Except Assassins Creed Valhala £59.99......... People said place holder prices? looks like there wrong

I think I will pass on buying games brand new and wait for price drops, Cross my fingers with PS+ OR invest in Playstation Now on Ps5

Edited by BNAG_Gamer
  • Like 2