PS5 Games - $69.99

DEI2EK

I will say at $70 we better be getting a demo for every game on the store(or timed full game demo like PS3 had).

That will make a big difference for good game day1 purchases. 

Why we have so few demos on PS4 is mind boggling, its a tried a true method to sell more games. Unless your game is bad...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, POEman553 said:

Unfortunately, with the costs of development and marketing today, that's to be expected. I'm surprised the price isn't $79.99 MSRP.

The thing though is the price drops very quickly. Look at a game like Prey or Control or Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order. Less than 2 years later and all are less than $40 or go on sale frequently. Not to mention Sony's PlayStation Hits red labelled games being around $20.

Prey digital deluxe edition (includes mooncrash) was 10e not too long ago, star wars will soon be on ea access, old games are great very cheap when on sale. I don't know how someone can pay 60 or 70$ for a lot of new games when great games are on a deep discount

• Like 1

I can't say I find the $70 price target of PS5 games even a little surprising. With a new generation comes larger budgets on the games and the developers have to make it back somehow. Sony could possibly be selling the PS5 console for less than it costs to make, with intent to recoup the difference on a higher licensing fee per copy. I can bear it, especially if it's for a long JRPG like Ys or Trails (which have been 100+ hours since Trails in the Sky SC). An $80 1994 SNES game would be $138.70 in today's money... we have it easy.

Now loot boxes or allowing players to buy virtual currency to gain an early advantage just don't sit well with me.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, othmaneAD said:

Prey digital deluxe edition (includes mooncrash) was 10e not too long ago, star wars will soon be on ea access, old games are great very cheap when on sale. I don't know how someone can pay 60 or 70$ for a lot of new games when great games are on a deep discount

Largely because it can take months or years for the prices to drop that low and you're getting the game long after the interest has died which can be annoying with multiplayer games. Not to mention that games that don't sell well at launch can be a big hit to a studio or franchise

Edited by majob

Okay. I can understand some people may not be able to afford these PS5 games for seventy bucks each for USD. What about Canada and the other parts of the world? Canada sells ps4 games right now for 70 Canadian dollars and that would jump to 80 bucks for them. As for Japan, the ranges could go from 10,000 to 11,000 yen, which if convert them into USD currency. That would be about 100 to 110 USD for each PS5 game for the Japanese gamers. I mean, look at P5 Royal when it came out to Japan last year. It was around 9,000 yen or 90 USD. This is going crazy with these game price increase rates for the PS5 and next Xbox generation consoles...

Edited by DarkRose025
Wanted to edit comment

12 minutes ago, majob said:

Largely because it can take months or years for the prices to drop that low and you're getting the game long after the interest has died which can be annoying with multiplayer games. Not to mention that games that don't sell well at launch can be a big hit to a studio or franchise

I mean you can't buy every game you see on the store, there will be surely tens of great games you didn't bought that are now on a deep sale. I know with MP games it can get annoying since there a much bigger hype and the first months (when the game is still expensive) are crucial if you want to enjoy the game will full lobbies. But for single-player stuff, I don't care if I'm playing a 2014 game as long as I enjoy it. And no, even when a game is a big hit it gets deep discounts (even gta premium edition was 10e one time) and RDR2 ultimate edition dropped to 35e after just 1 year. As long as you don't buy every game on launch, gaming is not an expensive hobby. In fact, it's very cheap as long as you focus on single-player and no microtransactions.

I think the price raise is justified. Shawn Hayden is correct - as technology gets better, production costs also increase. It's just part of evolution.

9 minutes ago, DarkRose025 said:

Okay. I can understand some people may not be able to afford these PS5 games for seventy bucks each for USD. What about Canada and the other parts of the world? Canada sells ps4 games right now for 70 Canadian dollars and that would jump to 80 bucks for them. As for Japan, the ranges could go from 10,000 to 11,000 yen, which if convert them into USD currency. That would be about 100 to 110 USD for each PS5 game for the Japanese gamers. I mean, look at P5 Royal when it came out to Japan last year. It was around 9,000 yen or 90 USD. This is going crazy with these game price increase rates for the PS5 and next Xbox generation consoles...

What are you talking about? Games in Canada retail for $79.99CAD. This will likely push them even further to $89.99, or... $100 after taxes.

Not really bothered if it means the gaming industry continues to thrive.

1 hour ago, yellowwindow7 said:

it's called a Price Drop when it's happen, use it and you'll not gonna regret it.

If every single person did that, your favourite developers wouldn't make what they spent to create the game, would go bankrupt, and consolidate.

Tread carefully with what message you wish to convey here.

3 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

I think the price raise is justified. Shawn Hayden is correct - as technology gets better, production costs also increase. It's just part of evolution.

What are you talking about? Games in Canada retail for $79.99CAD. This will likely push them even further to $89.99, or... $100 after taxes.

Not really bothered if it means the gaming industry continues to thrive.

I wasn't even aware Canada's ps4 game prices were 79.99 CAD... I'm sorry if I jumped to conclusions like that.

Edited by DarkRose025

Just now, DarkRose025 said:

I wasn't even aware Canada's ps4 game prices were 79.99... I'm sorry if I jumped to conclusions like that.

It's fine though. $59.99 USD converted to monopoly money... I mean Canadian dollars, is (currently) worth $81.37 CAD.

Price increase but still microtransactions/loot boxes etc up the ass that they claim the have to do. I'm going to be copping even more deals on physical next gen. I don't mind as much when it comes to Playstation big AAA exclusives in regards to paying $70 because they're usually tame when it comes to this stuff and offer a more full experience.

Edited by AlphaExGAT

God damn it! I guess I’ll just have to wait for more $2-5 EZPZ platinum and crappy games to release so I can inflate my numbers even more and you all can hate me for it. 

Edited by MrTrofyHunter
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Not excited about a price spike but its about time. 

People just got to play and choose what they want to play a little more careful. Or wait for a sale. 

Can't wait till they announce Ps5 pricing!!!

Wait, hold up. If too many people start picking their games more carefully like you are suggesting they should, then they are doing something that the games industry definitely does not want them to do. They want to sell you as many games at full price as they can, whatever that full price may be.

If enough people start putting off buying games for too long, then this will not mean more profit but less. It's what makes setting a base price for any product so hard.

This is exactly why this move is such a precarious one for them, and probably why they have been putting it up for so long (that is: if it is true to begin with). It seems like they finally feel the climate is right for it.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

If you think $70 USD  is *CRAZY*, wait until you hipsters and minimalists make the Digital Edition a hit, or Xbox quits competing in the general console space anymore.  Then you’ll REALLY see ‘Good Guy SONY’ show you their hand.  It would still be a more conservative approach to price-gouging than what Microsoft/Apple/Google are easily capable of but still...there will be blood.

We got ‘Horse Armor’ from Bethesda and the people were outraged, yet they still bought it.  What’s next?  The right answer is coming up!  ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sikutai said:

All games costs 70 Euro in Germany since many years. Are they cheaper in other Countries? I bought Ghost of Tsushima for 69,99 Euro last week, it's the normal price here for Standard Editions since 10+ years. And 70 Euro are 70 Dollar. Usually I only buy in Sales.

In Finland all physical games are still 60€. And we usually have higher prices and VAT than Germany

The Last of Us 2 was 50€ in every store but still 70€ digital.

4 hours ago, Barbeqmeister said:

In Finland all physical games are still 60€. And we usually have higher prices and VAT than Germany

The Last of Us 2 was 50€ in every store but still 70€ digital.

Not here, TLoU2 was between 64 and 69 Euro in the Stores and this is the usual price for new physical games (Saturn/Media Markt) + the costs you have to reach the market. But we had to pay 5 Euro for the Free2Play game "Don't even Think", and in the Rest of Europe it's free. I'm no longer surprised about anything.

4 hours ago, MarcinPLx said:

everything went top. So game prices are nothing unusual. Who thought that the games will always be at the same price, I feel sorry for him.
Times changes. I wonder only at what prices will be digital versions :)

Yes, times changes 

Edited by DaivRules