General question about One Piece games

I could ask this at any of the One Piece forums, yet I chose Pirate Warriors 4 since there'll be more people on date with the anime/manga to answer this question. Last episode I watched was around 748 of the anime, this is the last one I have downloaded, from 2016. Whenever I am on date while I love so much the anime I can't wait a week for a single episode, so I usually wait they release around 100 to watch them. This time been around 4 year since it coincided with college and didn't have time to start it again. Yeah, sometimes I like to start it from the first one, and a few months ago I did, not one, but two times, lol. One with a friend from Brazil that never saw anything about One Piece and we are at 412 now, and simultaneously with a friend that comes almost everyday home and we are just after Enies Lobby, this was before Covid, so since we didn't meet we've been there for a few months.

So anyway, I always wanted to play the One Piece games but wanted to wait until I start it over again. For some reason I thought Pirate Warriors started at the begining so I was ready to beat all of them, but when I launched it I saw it starts after the two years, so I'm waiting until I see that part again in the anime before playing them, which will be soon since we watch at least 15-20 episodes a day. So my question is, how are the other titles such as Burning Blood, Grand Cruise and World Seeker in terms of story progress compared to Pirate Warriors 3? And no spoilers please, I mention PW3 and not 4 since that's the far I have go in the anime, and only read until Gyojin Island on the manga. I have been avoiding PW4 cover since its release, even I closed my eyes while opening the PW4 trophy page to enter the forums, lol. I just wanted to know if these go beyond the Doflamingo arc or, if on this one or previous to this arc where they end so I know if I can play them too. Also, does Pirate Warriors 3 ends after Doflamingo defeat or it will spoil beyond this arc, which would be arc 17? I don't know what kind of ending PW have, like if they tease stuff after you finish them and thus spoiling me.

Thanks for the help!

Pirate warriors 1: up to marineford, only prologue is after that

pirate warriors 2: original story

pirate warriors 3: where you left off (no spoilers for you)

burning blood: only covers marineford

unlimited world red: original story

world seeker: original story

pirate warriors 4: current anime

Edited by BlazikieronUS
  • Like 3

Thanks so much for the detailed answer! I assumed PW2 was a direct sequel to 1 that would end where 3 starts. Didn't know UWR and WS were original stories either but yeah something about them didn't feel like these were adaptations. So I can safely play everything save for PW4 when I'm up to date again. Thanks once more for the help!

The beginning of PW4 is non-canon, it's some made-up story for the game. When the made-up tutorial is over, the game starts in Alabasta. That said, it goes well past where you are, but the last chapter is made-up just for the game.

PW3 goes up to Dressrosa, but the end is 100% made-up.

Grand Cruise has no story.

Unlimited World Red is an original story, but has parts featured in Punk Hazard and the Coliseum is a non-canon version of Dressrosa, like really really non-canon.

World Seekers is an original story, but has characters (and moves) well past where you are. Some of those characters are very spoilery.

Burning Blood has characters up to Dressrosa, but the story covers just Marineford.

• Like 2

That sounds weird. Especially PW4 starting non-canon, going cannon in the middle and ending non-canon... I wish besides the non-canon titles they want to make and I'd love to play, they had a solid franchise -and I thought PW was it- that canonically adapted the anime. I like the idea of PW4 going back to Alabasta though, as before I knew where PW1 started I was excited thinking it would start at episode 1, like it blow my mind thinking I could see the first arcs and characters on PS3, but once I launched the game I thought, of course it wouldn't start at the begginig, lol. That wouldn't be too crazy though, and better than doing something weird like what you mention with PW4. It will be fun anyway to play with the characters and see the canon parts and what this non-canon stuff is about~

PW4 only starts non canon because it's based on the latest arc and since that arc is still going with no ending during production, Koei Tecmo decided to make their own original story around the arc. Even though it does start in the Alabasta Arc, PW4 skips a good bunch of arcs, only doing the important arcs. If you want a game that starts off near the beginning, i recommend PW3 as it starts when Luffy recruits Zoro then jump to PW4 for the remaining arcs. For original story i recommend Unlimited World Red as that is a great game to play.   

• Like 1

Well to be honest PW3 and PW4 have the same thing in common which is the last arc in game is made up because it did not ended when the game came out, apart from that the only games to avoid spoilers up the point you have watched is World Seeker and PW4 (and Burning Blood to an extend because of some Doflamingo Arc Characters).

Me personally I recommend PW3 as this is the best OP game for me if you want to play through anime/manga story, gameplay wise PW4 is slightly better but has way less characters, especially Enelu my favourite is absent from that game, and also some wierd retcons in the story mainly in the (Spoilers)

Spoiler

Whole Cake Arc when they butchered my boy Pedro like that.

Edited by Sebax55
  • Like 1

Thanks again for the answers! I just wanted to know what the titles cover so I don't get spoiled past Dressrossa until I catch up with the anime again, but I'll play all 8 of them in release order. Thanks!

Edited by YonahFuriae